Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: My first volcano  (Read 14039 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: My first volcano
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »

Greetings followers!  The long weekend has allowed me to make decent progress.  The fact that my enemies seemed to have switched to scouting parties helped as well.  I have not received a back-to-back Caravan from any civ for many years.  But this year, the Dwarves made it safely, and even found a path that allowed them to bring a pair of wagons (I'll get them a road eventually).  I dared not hope, but still had to peak...  it's a Hanukkah miracle!

Click to enlarge

*sniffle* It's so beautiful!!  :D :-*  Could it that my (one of many) great vendettas has been resolved?  Now taking bets on what kills my reindeer this time :-\

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »

I bet either the spiders or a magma leak kills them.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2018, 09:00:56 pm »

Wow, talk about a Necro.  With 44.11 upon us and stable, I thought it only fitting that I give Zunkirton a proper sendoff.  I actually had most of my stuff saved for the next chapter, but the time and effort needed due to FPS loss drained my interest extra fast.  In my foolish eagerness, I made this site something like 6x5.  I have several floors of a massive silo filled to the brim with ores & gems, and have barely touched all the available deposits.  I also learned the Great Fiend Spiders are far more !FUN! than I cared to have, especially when I set my invader count at 200+.  With a single year taking hours at least, all major projects have come to a standstill.  With that, please enjoy the final recap of Anvilmastered.

We'll start with local centenarian hero, SpeciesUnknown.  At the ripe old age of 186, he fell defending the Fortress from Fiend Spiders and their human slaves.  Not only was he a mighty militia commander, he was also a grieving father & dabbling author.  This Dorf's history is insane.  I looked up his family, and all died before he was 60, barely middle-aged for a Dwarf.  This only lists historical kills, but we know he had a ton more.  RIP :(

Truly a legend amongst Dwarves.  At least his super badass artifact cloak won't go to waste

Next, my assorted projects; some kindof done, others finished but poorly.  An arena built in the center of the tavern, waiting to be filled with lava (it stops being magma once it's above ground).

Quite the view for visitors, if I ever got this place cleaned up properly

You remember the river that I've been kavetching about since day one?  I finally brought it under heel.

The spice filthy canyon water must flow!

Sadly, I never got to use it in a freezing trap, though I had the first one kinda built.  Several lures on platforms, protected from the cold by bridges on all sides.  Invaders go after the bait, bridges go down, instant ice cubes.  Maybe in the next frozen wasteland I venture to.  On a lighter note, I did manage to cap the volcano in appropriate fashion.

This is a vertical pixel art of a Dorf & ladders.  His skin is iron blocks, his hair is obsidian blocks, his teeth is gold blocks, his eyes are candy.  The Dorf is obscured by the scaffolding.

I just remembered another reason I gave up on this Fortress.  After years of work breeding an army of Giant Coyotes (as is a appropriate for a volcano like this), I discovered they can't be war trained :(  Furthermore, you can't assign an animal that is not war or hunting trained.  So I let them all loose, and they immediately wandered downstairs and got in the way of my giant minecart operation.  Those black ovals are minecarts, because I screwed up my graphics early on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, I'm actually quite pleased with myself on the minecart front.  Here we see the first layer of my silo, right next to the forges with a clear glass window section for eventually dropping guests.  I want my smithys to be entertained while they work, after all.

The proverbial heart of Anvilmastered.  Also the literal one, if you're superstitious about volcanoes

Those tracks on the left lead outside, across the top of my barf-covered greenhouse (outdoor plants), and down to the wood furnaces.  Charcoal is shipped directly to a loading dock near the forges.  No more trekking a single charcoal halfway across and up the fort.

Surprisingly efficient, all points considered

Looking through my archives, I vaguely recall having an elven siege at some point, consisting of like a dozen elves, and hundreds of ferocious parrots & camels.

I'm sure this would be terrifying in real life.  Anyone ever see 'The Birds' by Alfred Hitchcock?  Really great movie, you should check it out

Here are the elves and their bird/camel army going to town on a couple of Fiend Spiders :D

So there we have it.  A half finished maze of a volcano, located squarely on the frozen peak of the world.  Just a few tiles further east and I might have had perpetual sunshine, useful coyotes, and a functional river.  Well, maybe next time.  Of course, I couldn't leave off without seeing my arena in action, even if no bards are around to bare witness.  This is the view that visitors would have been treated to.  Say it with me now...

A few pages of combat logs.  Just a good old-fashioned free for all.

I actually saw that Gnome's blood spray all over the War Jaguar as it started to wrestle with a Troll, lol.  Good times

I consider myself an experienced player, yet Anvilmastered still taught me quite a lot.  About embark sizes, checking the wiki of war animals before starting a breeding program, and the futility of reindeer; whose cheese is forever beyond my grasp.  Still though, this was by far my favorite volcano ever.  Until next time :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2018, 02:55:02 am »

6x5? Yeah, seen fortress given up ue that. My fifth fort (first serious one) was 5x3, and I gave up on it when fps hit 33-40 and dwarves hit over 100+visitors (nowadays I'm a fair bit more tolerant of low fps).

You could possibly shrink the site  with dfhack. Did attempt something like that here, but I knew I didn't do it properly and it was very buggy.

Hm, reading it, the dwarf you nicknamed 'Speciesunkn0wn' lived his life's years 179-186. Dwarves' maxage is 150-170.

Oh, and he used to call a succubus 'master'. Who didn't want him to become a master of others. (note, bug: says "In 210, midautumn, (8th of Sandstone), `Speciesunkn0wn` cease being the master of the succubus Punde Freshfragrance." - should be other way around.

-------------

Hm, I now recognize some of those tiles.

anyway, I'd be worried about climbing out.

Though, that arena gives me an idea: use a minecart to store all your corpses and stuff in 1 tile near tavern+temple, sealed by a lever-operated bridge. Withdraw your people by civilian alerts. Pull the lever. Watch the visitors go mad and topple statues. Realize you've now lost tavern to berserk vampires and werebeasts. Wonder why you did this.

Partially frozen river? Multiple biomes, I assume...This could act as water or ice farm.

Players in 44.10: "The dwarves are too mentally fragile, they go insane at seeing dead bodies."

Also player: "Here we see the first layer of my silo, right next to the forges with a clear glass window section for eventually dropping guests. "

I think I'd tantrum, and I'm pretty calm myself.

Charcoal is quite good thing to move by minecarts, though, since 83 fit into a cart. Though I'd be worried about giant fiend spiders, traffic accidents, and giant fiend spiders causing traffic accidents.

(I'd also use alternating acceleration ramps to move it at 1 step/tile where possible, but that's par for the course.)

Are flying parrots as bad as flying keas fo vengeful thoughts? (though I'd be more worried about the cloven feet of buffalos)

Hope you have better reindeer next time, heh.*hugs reindeer bone cabinet military trains around*

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2018, 06:56:32 pm »

This was several versions before Stress was introduced, so various forms of public executions were a great idea at the time.  Both the Forge & Tavern windows connected to the ceiling, no risk of an outbreak there.  As for War Birds; yes, Giant Great Horned Owls caused all manner of havoc.  They weren't even all that deadly, but they would fly over my squads, down into the relative safety of the Dining Hall, which went about as well as you'd expect.

The Charcoal transportation featured gates on both ends.  I would have made it indoors, but creating enough room would have disturbed the aesthetic of the Fortress.  These pictures are a few levels above the main warehouse floor (yet another partially finished project).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2018, 10:45:31 am »

Suspiciously little minecarts in these pictures. Though giant stockpiles full of items have certain oomph.

I'm not sure what you're storing, some kind of boxes? Are those supposed to be bins?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]