Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: My first volcano  (Read 14043 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: My first volcano
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 05:43:18 pm »

Anvilmastered!  I am on a roll, which isn't good for anybody, least of all the readers.  And I suppose the Dwarves are having concerns about their Overseer as well.  No matter.

No sooner does the Caravan leave, then this labyrinth reject comes a knocking.

Rawr!  Get rekt

The first thing he does of course, is pulp every critter in existence before smashing the coffins I had stuck in the base of the mountain earlier.

No peace for the dead, not while I'm in charge

The draw bridge has not been connected yet, so the Dwarves are scrambling to build a wall and some more traps.

Build, you miserable drunkards! Build for your life!

The hulking Minotaur find his way to the entrance.  The Dwarves, in a surprising display of problem solving, run away screaming.  I mean, some of them run towards the front gate, but it's still a step in the right direction.  Except that part is the wrong direction... you know what I mean.  The front entrance gets a little crowded, and I hold my breath.  I think the Minotaur stumbled over a couple traps, dodging through the door, and...

This makes the score between Dwarves and the entire world tied at 1-1

Technically, Winter has not passed yet, which means the Dwarves have dealt with 2 Lycanthropes and a Minotaur in less than three years.  Not bad, if I do say so myself.  Alas, my celebration is short lived as I begin to assess the damage.  The trade depot is gone, several portions of the map are just red splotches where there used to be a critter, I have no clue if that one Farmer will be upset about his coffin being smashed, and then...

Oh sweet Armok, I'm sorry  :'(  I could have built a stone roof, they wouldn't have minded.  At least for a couple of years until I can make them a nice glass home.  But I didn't.  I left them alone, and now I must face the consequences of my failure

It's ok to laugh, as long as you feel bad about it

I am a monster.  I mean, not as much as the Minotaur, but still.  As Winter draws to a close, the Dwarves (now very self-conscious about their architectural choices) gather at the newly designated Dining Hall.  Those gray tiles are a designated door, awaiting installation.

Oooh, Aahh

Spring is finally year, the start of year 3.  I take a moment to look at my stocks, and it is as I feared.

76 Dwarves and 125k wealth.  I am getting dangerously close to attracting attention to myself.  Understand that beneath my rugged Dwarfy exterior, there is a human who likes to build things.  I want to just keep going- expanding the stockpiles, constructing a fancy tavern, and so forth.  But this has lead to the destruction of several Forts; I built without a care and get wiped out by a small raiding party in year 3.  Well not this time.  I claim the volcano, for the glory of Dwarves!

Dun dun duunnnn!

That was a lot more impressive in my head.  Whatever.  The peasants immediately begin laying down a floor of magma-safe Basalt.  I briefly considered using some fancy digging tricks to bring the lava underground, but decided against it.  If I am going to own this volcano, then I do so out in the open; defend or die.  Plus I really like how the occasional snowflakes and ash make the ground change colors around the rim :-[

IT BEGINS!

The new year also brings our first true test of combat; 3 Elven Thieves nimbly dance their way past the traps at the front gate, sprinting past the Dwarves with terrifying speed.  They snatch a child, a baby, and a.. barrel of wine?  Desperate times, I guess.  I manage to lock all the doors, and hastily assemble the Miners into a squad with no uniform, hoping they will retain their Pickaxes long enough to be useful.  Two of the hippies go down in short order, while the third remains elusive.  The Miner Militia finally surrounds it, and the thief is splattered across the top floor.

Armok help me if these little buggers ever become sober

Everyone gets back to work, and the Mayor mandates a single crossbow.  Simple enough I suppose.  Turns out I'm completely out of wood at this point, so rather than wait for that whole process, I decide to make use of the extra critter bits that have not rotted away.

lulz

The miners have started on the veins of hematite at the top of each peak, and soon the volcano is churning out iron bars.  In a shocking twist, the Legendary Carpenter that I renamed 'Elf' has usurped the mayorship :o  In all my time playing Dwarf Fortress, I have never seen a mayor fail reelection outside of death and/or vampire.  He immediately mandates a Flail be crafted, which is actually fine.  I may not be able to use conventional trap parts like Serrated Disc and Spiked Ball, but a spring-loaded Mace works just as well.  With all of this excitement, I completely missed a moody Dorf.

Oops

Must have been at least a few months back, so I choose to blame the Minotaur for distracting me.  To help lighten the mood, a party is organized at the newly renovated Dining Hall, now featuring a lever for the front gate, and a Minotaur in a cage.

Please do not feed the mythological beasts, thank you

Seems the zoo is a big hit.  Dwarves are crowding all around it, even climbing on top of the cage for a closer look.  I especially like that one pet turtle, staring down the Minotaur like a boss.  I begin work on a dedicated gemstone crafting area when a peasant claims a Magma Forge.  He actually needs a cut gem to finish his creation, so good timing for a change.  He starts his artifact, just as the peasants who have been hauling raw hematite get into a little tussle outside the forges.

It's not easy being... whatever the hell this thing is

No injuries to speak of, although one Dwarf was clearly not feeling great after this fight.

Come'on! Is that the best you got?! *Hwaarrrgg* You're in for it now, you filthy *Hwaarrrggg*

As the Dwarven Caravan comes rumbling over the hilltops, that Possessed Dwarf completes his artifact.  Since it was a possession, I can't really blame him for not making anything useful.  At least I get a cool bit of history on this one.

An homage to a Dwarven Count, stamped with an image of an early King

And with that, this exceedingly long chapter draws to a close.
Insert witty sign off here

...Even the armour and weapons?
Especially the biscuits!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »

I feel proud of the fact that I only fail moods once every couple of months or more. I think my current streak of successful moods is about 100.

Also, how the heck did you make the game 3D? What texture pack witchcraft is this?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »

Minotaurs aren't that dangerous. You sure your military isn't ready?

Loking at the wall in that screenshot.. Perhaps next time forbid the doors so dwarves don't rush towards the enemy. Well, no matter.

So much for the reindeer herd.

Hm, nice circular hall. Much better.

I mean, you'd eventually tire of circles too, but not now.

When you have  a volcano, it's always nice to go - even, dare I say - overboard with magma traps. Magma misters! Magma landmines! Magma-filled corridors of death! Walkway to dodge into magma from!

You don't need most of these, but still.

Of course, after you did this due fearing a raiding party, you go and leave a climbing way into your fortress. Figures :P

Rather than wait for woo...I thought you were supposed to make everything, including the crossbows, from stone! Yet here are you using wood and bone!

You know, you say you plan architecture, but to fail a moody dwarf...I think you like to plan great halls?

The frog was amusing.

I thought orichalum was supposed to be exceedingly good weapon material. Shame to waste it on a figurine, if you only have a single bar.

@Derpy Dev: It's Text Will Be Text multilevel feature. Makes hilly embarks lot more tolerable (to flat embarks), though the plugin has a history of instability. Iirc one of the major bugs causing that was fixed only this year's spring or last year's fall (not sure which).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:28:40 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »

I did not have any military at all when the Minotaur arrived.  Between 2 Werebeasts and a far more difficult farming situation, I've been preoccupied.  Historically, Orichalcum was supposedly pretty common.  For my part, I believe it's a byproduct of smelting, something like 1 in 200.  I will definitely be restricting it once I have a better organized Forge operation.  And I did not fail a moody Dwarf, I simply didn't notice him in my scramble to keep everyone else alive :P

Anvilmastered!  "The frog was amusing.", and that's our slogan.  The rest of the year is fairly uneventful; another migrant wave includes some especially strong Dwarves, allowing me to finish the two squads which form our fledgling military.  Also, the Dwarves have stockpiled over 500 Urists of alcohol now, so I'm pretty sure that booze does not decay.

As the new year begins, my food reserves remain a challenge though.  Been holding steady at 100-120, but the ever increasing population means I'm going to be in trouble very soon.  Just as I start planning a greenhouse:

Flame-roasted chocolate, not nearly as delicious as it sounds

My Smithys are all highly skilled metal crafters, but have no experience making armor and weapons.  So the militia is using shoddy iron equipment and has only a couple months of training.  Engage turtle mode!

Say it with me now

With the front gate firmly shut, the Titan finishes what his Minotaur friend started; I'm back to zero reindeer plus a garden of ashes.  I think one of the piles used to be a woodcutter.

Yup, that figures

Sigh.  This makes the second time in as many years that my front lawn has been incinerated.  I'm fairly certain that a Mite, despite have a ridiculous number of legs, can not climb.  Still, I order the entrance to the volcano barricaded for good measure, and none too soon.

Bwahaha.  I mean it's sad, but still

My suspicion is confirmed; it would have certainly climbed in to smash the forges if it could.  I leave the barricades in place though, it could still hurl fireballs from up there.  As I begin to contemplate a cavein trap, one of the Fort's start Masons goes Fey.  He claims all he needs except a stack of cloth, which can only mean he needs silk.  I finally uncover a cavern layer, and not a single spider to be found.  I desperately dig down, but alas, I am not fast enough.  Like the random peasant before him, the Mason's insanity matches the surroundings and he turns melancholy.  I really need to start budgeting silk cloth as part of my embark supplies.  I swear, silk is the new turtle shell.

I go back to planning a cavein for the Titan, hoping to prevent...

Werebeasts per year is now 1.5

Exactly that :-\  Welp, at least now I'm not in a hurry.  At this point, I'm just gonna wait for the Human Caravan in Summer and hope they can deal with it.  I divert my Miners towards digging a hospital zone, and a path to the cavern lake.  When I check back on the military, I am pleased to see this:

Pew Pew

In the ammo stockpile below, I also find a Clothier who has lost the ability to stand ???  Looks like he was arguing with a Marksdwarf.  Going by the date logs, this was mere moments after I finished designating the hospital.  Does misfortune follow my planning, or the other way around?

Sir! I wish to convey my dissatisfaction with your point of view... *punch*

Regardless, I now have to rush my water access.  His injuries are not serious, but will keep him in bed long enough that he will surely dehydrate before recovering.  And just as Summer begins, too.

Top left, our saviors?

The Human Caravan makes a valiant showing, but only brought two Hammermen.  Although they are able to inflict good damage, it is not enough.

Just a few more guards, or maybe a few less legs, and they might have won

I am now resolved to complete the cavein trap before the Dwarven Caravan arrives in a few months.  Finally, with a marble door locked tight and a helpless cat toss in the corner, I wait with nervous anticipation.

Somehow I accidentally combined my gifs, so enjoy this bonus shot of Marksdwarf training

Huzzah!  A three by ten mass of Rhyolite crashes down, and the Forest Titan is smashed out of existance.  Seriously, I was hoping to at least get some bones or hide, but there is nothing left.  I order access to the volcano restored, and am kinda surprised at how long it takes.  Normally I have at least a dozen idle peasants.  I quickly discover the reason for the delay.

I really need to get these guys some wheelbarrows

After failing to find any silk for that one Mason, I decided to mine out the random ore veins I had uncovered, and promptly forgot about it.  I am sorely tempted to go full-on Erebor now: building minecarts, tunnels, and massive stockpiles.  One of the flaws I have when starting my midgame is that I become overly ambitious.  The fortress is stable, so I try to accomplish a dozen things at once and end up with nothing.  I have never stuck with a Fortress long enough to make it truly grandiose.  This time, I'm in it for the long haul.

First priority- Make some buckets and water that Clothier Dwarf.  The initial population is wearing rags now, so having a skilled Clothesmaker is important.
Second priority- Floor over the top of my volcano.  It is a crude solution compared to my vision, but again, priorities.  I am simply not ready for a Megaproject yet.
3. - Potash and a greenhouse.  My food stocks have been at emergency levels since I started.  The only reason I haven't faced starvation is I immediately slaughter all non-pets that come with the migrant waves, plus half my adult Boar population every year.
4. - Realize that I'm only halfway through year 4, and have faced off against a Minotaur, 3 Werebeasts, and a fire breathing Forest Titan.  All points considered, I am progressing at a respectable rate, if I do say so myself.

And with that, I have reached the point where I can no longer cram an entire year into one chapter.  I'd love to offer another signoff, but the story has finally caught up with where I'm at ingame.  Stay tuned!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 06:40:10 pm »

And I did not fail a moody Dwarf, I simply didn't notice him in my scramble to keep everyone else alive :P

I think I triggered him xD

Also, I have the same issue with stone stockpiles all the time. I never remember that wheelbarrows are important until half the bloody fort is carrying rocks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 08:17:59 pm »

....How quickly do you have food decay?

100 for 100ish dwarves is  kinda hand-to-mouth. Very just-in-time production (every other industry, 100 would be more than enough for maintained stock. Not food though.)

Hm, I recall one could eat cooked bugs. Don't know about mites...But chocolate-dipped crunchy bug might be delicious after thorough heating.

I wouldn't be 100% certain that mite will not climb in to attack. I think it requires combat to go into climbing pathing mode, while building destroying is more like regular job (as shown by them failing to destroy appropriately placed buildings.)

*scrolls up* Huh, hadn't penetrated the cavern yet? Ah well. Silk is perhaps better than yarn, though, given it's possible to get to it by digging if you need some and have none.

Just as summer begins...the land is covered in snow. Cold!

Blunt weapons, against a titan? The humans didn't stand much a a chance. Though I see you modded platinum and ebony to be weapon materials.

Two dozen by-hand stone-haulers, in a single-wide corridor? *wince* Maybe get not just wheelbarrows, but widen all tunnels to at least 2 wide as well.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 08:51:29 pm »

All is fair in dwarven gulag.

By the way, what are you using to make the gifs? They're a nice touch.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:45 am »

All is fair in dwarven gulag.

Da Comrade!

@Immortal-D: Can I request a dorfing, Comrade? Comrade Species please! Champion of Communism and using a battle axe or Warhammer.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 07:54:09 am »

....How quickly do you have food decay?

100 for 100ish dwarves is  kinda hand-to-mouth. Very just-in-time production (every other industry, 100 would be more than enough for maintained stock. Not food though.)

Two dozen by-hand stone-haulers, in a single-wide corridor? *wince* Maybe get not just wheelbarrows, but widen all tunnels to at least 2 wide as well.
Feels like it lasts 3 months, ~1 season, but I haven't had the time to precisely test it.  Believe me, I'm well aware of just how perilous the situation is, that's why a Greenhouse is among top priorities.  With the map burning down every year, I can't rely on Caravans or plant gathering either.  And yeah, normally I use a 2x or 3x hallway.  That image is one of the exploratory mine shafts I dug while searching for a cavern.

Glad to hear it :)  I find the occasional action cam helps to punctuate main events.  Dropbox may have failed me on pictures, but it can still do normal hosting.  Click Me!

@Immortal-D: Can I request a dorfing, Comrade? Comrade Species please! Champion of Communism and using a battle axe or Warhammer.
>.<  I swear, it was just a mining tunnel, lol.  The current melee squad uses a Spiked Flail (effectively a Morning Star on a chain).  I'm pretty sure I have farming equipment available, like Hammer & Sickle.  I'll have to check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 08:47:21 am »

If you dig the exploratory mineshafts on multiple levels in same location, you could use stairs to allow dwarves to pass by each other. Pretty moot point now, as you can't dig upstairs into a floor.

Could also make it minecart-only accessible and use a dwarf to ride back and forth to carry five stones each trip. Limits the number of haulers busy with it while providing stone at steady clip, but requires more effort than just doing a designation and making a few wheelbarrows.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 04:38:07 pm »

That looks fucking cool, I hope you turn this into a wonder of sorts.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »

So, I just learned that the Trap-wear bug also applies to normal weapons, not just trap parts like Spiked Ball.  I don't use massive trap corridors, but I do like to have some installed, and was playing on that assumption.  So now I'm torn;

- I could continue and meticulously check all of my traps after every battle or critter activation, which would suck the fun right out it, especially as I expand and build more defenses, resulting in much slower updates to the point that both I and the readers would lose interest.
- Call it quits now before I'm too invested, maybe pray that the new version is both compatible with old saves and fixes the bug present in old versions.
- Keep going, try to remember to at least occasionally check the trap wear levels, and hope nothing breaks in the middle of a fight.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 07:58:28 pm »

So, I just learned that the Trap-wear bug also applies to normal weapons, not just trap parts like Spiked Ball.  I don't use massive trap corridors, but I do like to have some installed, and was playing on that assumption.  So now I'm torn;

- I could continue and meticulously check all of my traps after every battle or critter activation, which would suck the fun right out it, especially as I expand and build more defenses, resulting in much slower updates to the point that both I and the readers would lose interest.
- Call it quits now before I'm too invested, maybe pray that the new version is both compatible with old saves and fixes the bug present in old versions.
- Keep going, try to remember to at least occasionally check the trap wear levels, and hope nothing breaks in the middle of a fight.

Turn on autosave for seasonally and check every time it autosaves, then you should be good.

There's also the option of only using artifact or adamantine weapons for traps, but that's a tad bit expensive.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 08:11:17 pm »

Or named weapons.

I'd say pick the third option, as long as you're not using wooden weapons. I haven't tested it in a wide variety of conditions, but I wouldn't be surprised if metal weapons lasted over a decade in trap, depending on sieges.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:42 am »

How about not using weapon traps at all? You are next to a volcano, you have the opportunity to create far !!dorfier!! traps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5