Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Circuses!  (Read 3121 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Circuses!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »

yes, it must be a very rare event!
Why not a very common one? Animal Trainers needn't be any more rare than any other type of performer, and in my last fort I actually had to forbid all visitors from entering my tavern, because I got so sick of the infinite number of Poets that descended upon me from every corner of existence.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:48 pm »

Were they all dressed in black, except for white highlights and similarly contrasting make-up, reciting nihilistic verse?

If so, like Rome, you've been invaded by Goths!

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 11:37:25 am »

yes, it must be a very rare event!
Why not a very common one? Animal Trainers needn't be any more rare than any other type of performer, and in my last fort I actually had to forbid all visitors from entering my tavern, because I got so sick of the infinite number of Poets that descended upon me from every corner of existence.

I was referring to an external group that remained for a short time (a mixture people of animal trainers, clowns, jugglers, games, momentary built carousel , acrobats, theater with puppets, games with fire, dwarfs, humans, elfs, goblins, gremlins, humans beasts, Illusionism, fortune teller, conjurers, games of true magic, masked dances, evening shows  etc.).
An organized group that works (requires economy and magic system)
They build a circus tent and later they take it apart and they go away. Very rare event because its remove stress in this period.

in the future (very distant future) it could also become a new game mode: traveling in the world to entertain people (and fail  :)  )
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:51:44 am by compsognathus »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »

I was referring to an external group that remained for a short time . . .
Yes, precisely. It's just that what you describe could easily operate under the existing "performance troupe" mechanic (and those, from what I've seen, are fairly common), all that's actually needed is greater development of the performances themselves. Except for the actual circus tent and carousel, everything you describe could take place in the tavern/dining hall, using the dance floor as "stage" and dining area as "audience". Of course, dwarves just wanting to have a regular meal at that time could get in the way, so ideally there should be an additional area designation of Theater, which has been previously suggested. It's only if you insist on going all the way, with the big-top tent & rides aboveground (which should ideally also be taken into consideration, to be compatible with settlements like human towns), that the leader of the circus should have to actually Attend Meeting with the mayor, and agree on a location where the circus will set up.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:23 am »

I was referring to an external group that remained for a short time . . .
Yes, precisely. It's just that what you describe could easily operate under the existing "performance troupe" mechanic (and those, from what I've seen, are fairly common), all that's actually needed is greater development of the performances themselves. Except for the actual circus tent and carousel, everything you describe could take place in the tavern/dining hall, using the dance floor as "stage" and dining area as "audience". Of course, dwarves just wanting to have a regular meal at that time could get in the way, so ideally there should be an additional area designation of Theater, which has been previously suggested. It's only if you insist on going all the way, with the big-top tent & rides aboveground (which should ideally also be taken into consideration, to be compatible with settlements like human towns), that the leader of the circus should have to actually Attend Meeting with the mayor, and agree on a location where the circus will set up.

Yes you're right but it is similar to comparing a Titan with a Forgotten Beast.

A new circus system is not "performance troupe" mechanic because:

-inside the circus caravan many things can be hidden...

-Animals around the tavern is not beautiful. When I see a cow in my tavern,
it seems strange, it makes me laugh... Will I even have to see an elephant or lion? no pls...!

-The circus has a lot of charm and can create havoc

-It is the dwarves who go inside the circus (to see shows) and not the artists who enter the fortress. (pay the ticket, need economy, money)
if you have dwarfs "savers", very very gruff or hate animals ( and other...) will not go to the circus.

-It's an alternative career (Adventurer Role) in adventure mode or development opportunities:
you start playing alone (alms living), later you create a small performance troupe and later hired by a large circus )

-It is a direct contact with the outside world

-Circus artists will never ask for citizenship, they are nomads, they are a great organization (80-100 people, "a guild", "a clan"... Imagine many people suddenly in your tavern...), they are more easily connected to organized crime in the cities
and will also have contacts between the inhabitants of the fortress (and with the nobles).They also have contacts between enemy peoples (king, crime, rich people etc.. )... 
Quote ThreeToe  "The web of power and social hierarchy is nothing more than a means for a villainous spider to climb toward his helpless victims.  We are hard at work creating the net of traps for the social predators to use for their selfish and wicked ends.  Can your dwarves unravel the sticky mess before they are taken advantage of?  That's up to you.

-...and large group has more power than a small group!

-the current mechanism is very good for taverns but it is not a real circus. The circus must not enter a tavern .. it's not real and they could not do all the dark things
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:41:16 am by compsognathus »
Pages: 1 [2]