Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Circuses!  (Read 3064 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circuses!
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »

When the circus comes to your fort, their manager will ask you for permission to set up their show there for a while. If you say yes, they will take over a small area of the fort and set up cages of rare and exotic beasts, and perform feats (songs, dances, axe-juggling) that your civ may or may not have access to. After a season, they will pack up and leave, much like the trade caravans. Dwarfs who attend will be accordingly entertained by the performances, and get the appropriate happy thoughts from seeing animals they like. Unfortunately, there is a slight risk of these circus folk taking some of your valuables with them when they leave, or even being undercover spies.  Dare you risk it, for the chance of seeing an elf put his head in a dragon's mouth?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circuses!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:33:37 pm »

I imagine this would combine nicely with the trade fares and festivals when they eventually get implemented.

Nothing more fun than a beak dog stampede into the middle of frolicking clown dorfs.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:36:59 am »

I initially thought you meant the spoilerific circus. :P I was very confused for a second...
Though this seems like a good idea. Perhaps the circus could perform in your tavern, similar to the way performance troupes work?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 03:40:41 am »

I initially thought you meant the spoilerific circus. :P I was very confused for a second...
Though this seems like a good idea. Perhaps the circus could perform in your tavern, similar to the way performance troupes work?
Alcohol, dancing, brawls and wild animals, sounds awesome.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:08:21 am »

Seems like this can be built on top of the existing travelling entertainers.  They aren't much different in principle.

Maybe any skill could be made into a performance art?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:57 am »

Maybe any skill could be made into a performance art?
Urist McFisherman: "Are you going to see Urist McCircus perform?"
Urist McMiner: "No, what's she doing?"
Urist McFisherman: "Live gem setting. She's legendary for it!"
Urist McMiner: "Eh, I prefer Urist McOtherCircus. His 'Greatest Record Keeping Administrator on Earth' show was as fantastical as it was meticulous."

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:44 am »

Would be FUN!
Happy Clowns and artists in the middle of fighting dwarfs and goblins in a sea of blood where a Dragon breath fire and let everything burn and melt.
I think the dwarfs will get a happy thought(before they die :))
Hope, this gets added later ;D
The old apple revels in its authority.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:25 am »

We already have performers but animal trainers using pets such as bears, snakes and elephants for public recreation could be interesting.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »

What happens when the circus comes a callin' whilst the circus is there?  That could be confusing! Do clowns get on with clowns, for example?  You never know..!

(Note that modern circuses are an 18th century invention, though the concept of a fête, festival, etc stretches back to nominal Fortress Age 12thC-ish, here on the spherical savegame we inhabit. I suggest the expansion of the Tavern entertainment code. Perhaps a designated outdoor zone that, if set up, would be allowed as a Traveller camp/wagon ground, if one comes to stay, with all the memes of the travelling circus/perampulatory mountebanks coming to play as a transient village of vendors and vagabonds add entertainment to the site whilst scraping off what unconsidered trifles they can prise from the locals as payment in return...)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 02:13:21 am »

I'm all for this idea if only to get rid of that rediculous nickname for the HFS

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »

I'm all for this idea if only to get rid of that rediculous nickname for the HFS

For one thing: I actually like calling it the circus.
Second, circuses are a cool idea and should be added.
Thirdly, if this happens, you can have a circus come and perform in the circus and the clowns will be mauled by the clowns.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »

That would be quite an exhibit.

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 05:35:01 am »

yes, it must be a very rare event! a circus system
a real wandering circus that places itself outside the fortress. Populated by mixed peoples
The dwarfs reset stress only during that time.
Yes the mayor/manager will decide if and how much to stay.
But there could be side effects (low percentage): an belonging to the circus is an enemy of a specific dwarf of the fortress (revenge, murder, poisoning, curses, sought by criminal organizations, payments for death...etc etc)  evasion of ferocious animals or monsters etc

if in this time  the fortress is invaded by goblin or titan, the members of the circus will be useless citizens of the fortress until they rebuild the equipment to leave (stress for the dwarf workers)

members of the fortress dwarves guilds (in the future) will be able to contact circus members to get their work done  (murder, curses, create fake miracles to create new religions) etc.. generating retaliation or otherwise

I forgot the fortune tellers: they will drive the dwarves crazy by telling them their date of death

children who go to steal: commissioned thefts of used clothes, hair or blood pieces for voodo dolls ( for witches )

pagan evil, evil eye: the dwarf quickly ages and dies, diseases and so on

a way of killing and evade the authorities

if you refuse the circus, all the circus wanderers will hate you and when they pass in the area they will make teasing: free old wild animals or annoying pests etc etc..

someone remembers the Disney movie "Something Wicked This Way Comes" ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:15:21 am by compsognathus »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 03:51:24 pm »

Medieval cutoff, people!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2