Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Government questions  (Read 1695 times)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Government questions
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »

So is there any point to becoming a barony, or getting a king/monarch? Also how do you go about getting a king and baron? I read on the wiki you need to donate extra crafts or a certain wealth to the traders for it to happen, but is that all you have to do and it happens automatically or? If there isn't much point atm does toady plan to expand on that system somehow?

Thanks for any responses.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Government questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

does toady plan to expand on that system somehow?

The answer to this question in almost any context is yes.  :)

Right now there really isn't much point to becoming a barony, county or duchy, nor is there much point in becoming the mountainhome.

By my understanding it used to be, in much older versions of the game, that these were effectively ramping up the difficulty of the late game since nobles were more numerous and somewhat more of a burden on the fort.  The king could also arrive without warning if certain conditions were met (mining adamantine I believe could trigger it even for tiny forts), and he'd suddenly make a big imposition on the fort without contributing anything in turn.

Eventually I would expect that becoming the mountainhome would open up a lot of diplomatic and warfaring options.  In the upcoming release we're just now starting to see the potential of sending out squads to raid places off map, so it's a way off yet, but I could certainly see the ability to formally declare war on neighbors being something you could do in future versions if you had a landed noble or royalty in the fort.

how do you go about getting a king and baron?

I've never had the king show up, so someone else will have to chime in on that, but for a barony it's usually easy enough that it happens on its own as the fort grows.  From what I recall there was just a population minimum (80?) plus some minimum amount of created and exported wealth.  Usually you achieve all of the requirements pretty quickly without trying.

Unless it changed in recent versions, the liaison would announce in a meeting that you had the opportunity to accept being a barony once he arrived with the caravan after you hit the needed milestones.  If you reject the opportunity, he'd leave without letting you set up any trade agreements.  The process would repeat every year until you accepted it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:28:26 pm »

I've never had the "proper" monarch arrival happen either. You need to be a metropolis (large number of people), have donated to the mountainhome (through trade gifts), and fulfilled a number of other goals within the same year (check the wiki). However, most people get saddled with a monarch because the old one died and a random schmuck in your fortress becomes the new one. This is supposed to happen with struggling civs as the mountainhome is lost and your fortress is the most prominent of the remaining sites.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »

As Telgin said, there’s really no point right now, but you might want to try becoming the mountainhome anyway just to see if you can, or for roleplaying purposes. In my current fort I just recently managed it, and I find the extra mandates a little annoying, but not a big challenge.

To become the mountainhome and attract the king, your fortress (probably?) needs to reach the rank of Metropolis. A table at the bottom of this wiki page gives the details: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Fortress   Basically, your fort needs to have a high enough population, and needs to complete a variety of production jobs within one year, and also needs to make sure the dwarf trader caravan gets away safely that year.

Also, there (apparently?) needs to already be a noble in your fort (at least according to this wiki page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Monarch). But there’s a good chance you’ll end up with a baron as your fort grows; I know I’ve never made a special effort to get one (and if you're working on metropolis status you're sure to meet the requirements for a baron).

Finally, you need to make sure the architecture in your fort is worth at least a certain amount, and offer a certain value of goods to the dwarf caravan. Once your fortress reaches a certain level, you can check if you’ve met these two requirements by going to the nobles screen and typing “c”. I think that you need to make the caravan offering AFTER this point; in my fort, I offered stuff early, then worked on becoming a metropolis, then was annoyed to find I needed to make the offering again. But the queen arrived not long after.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:10:03 pm by Madrigal »

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:51 am »

Some good information here, thanks everyone!

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:24:19 am »

I like the RP narrative of getting a Barony, and with dwarf therapist I can force him into a squad and force him to wear armor and train to become a proper Dwarf Baron clad in the best armor and armed with best weapons my fortress can produce. My current Baron has "Dreams to Rule the World" and is clad in full steel armor with black bear cloak and grizzly bear hood over his steel helm and breastplate. I have always gotten the king when able to play dead dwarf civs, usually getting the King around 20 pop so he is more like that dwarf king from the "Hobbit" than a real King.

I don't think you need to "donate" to get the Baron but there is a exported wealth requirement, and you need around 140 dwarves.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:58 am »

Baron is only 80, the king arriving is 140 because that's the minimum population for a metropolis.

There's also a bug with baron in that you might have to manipulate and lock up the liaison so he doesn't meet with your mayor before the caravan leaves. Every one of my games has had it, I can't ever get Barons without separating the mayor and liaison and waiting for the dwarven caravan to get off the map.

I mostly for it for RP purposes and to make my life harder with the mandates. One day I plan to totally ignore all mandates and see what happens.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:53:47 am »

One day I plan to totally ignore all mandates and see what happens.

I once exported a couple thousand crafts, violating export bans. It ended with about half the fort in chains, and the other half hammered into a pulp. Quite a few received both punishments. Fun times!

Dust Bunnies

• Bay Watcher
  • help
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:45:37 pm »

does toady plan to expand on that system somehow?

The answer to this question in almost any context is yes.  :)

to be fair that's the answer to pretty much anything involving future plans

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:13 pm »

One day I plan to totally ignore all mandates and see what happens.

I once exported a couple thousand crafts, violating export bans. It ended with about half the fort in chains, and the other half hammered into a pulp. Quite a few received both punishments. Fun times!
Hahaha, brilliant. I'm debating doing so on one of my forts because there's just so little happening lately. Boredom is a killer.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.