Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BREEDING ( TAMABLE CREATURES )  (Read 843 times)

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BREEDING ( TAMABLE CREATURES )
« on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:36 am »

Hi everyone.. ok so i just wanted to bring this across to all of you to find out before trying it and potentially wasting time...

I am aware that in order to tame a yeti ( and also to trade them ), you must edit the raw file for yeti and set them as tamable... However there is a question burning in the back of my mind. If any of you watch Quill18 play DF then some of you may have seen is stream on the frozen ( arctic ) Biome.. What i saw was that I managed to trap up to 13 -15 yetis... However I was not sure if all of these were male, female or mixed...

But my question is this... If i was to make an edit to the yeti raw so that they are tamable... If male and female are in the same room or adjacent tiles.. will they breed ?? or is breeding set somewhere else ???

or is there even such thing in DF as yeti baby ???

My reason for this is that i was reading up on yetis and the map will only spawn up to 15 - 20 if them before they are technically extinct ???

can anyone help me with this ??

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BREEDING ( TAMABLE CREATURES )
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 03:03:27 am »

I believe people have conducted Yeti breeding with the purpose of repopulating the world in the past, without resorting to taming.

Animals capable of breeding have the same breeding requirements as dorfs do, i.e. a male and a female compatible individual in the same or adjacent tiles for a relatively short time and both of them being "idle". Male creatures in cages can impregnate females in adjacent tiles (either on restraints of "free", but not caged), while female caged creatures cannot be impregnated (but gestation continues if caged while already being impregnated, so it's not uncommon to have females give birth while in cages.
Animals can be homo- and a-sexual, which makes them unsuitable for breeding (although I believe I've had homosexual females give birth, so impregnation might not require consent).

Sapients (or at least civilized sapients) differ from animals in that they require marriage to breed. Animals, on the other hand, are promiscuous and completely ignore family relations.

I believe yetis have the normal baby and child stages (some creatures are born adult).

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:47:03 am »

So you can breed yeti's no matter what ?? regardless of weather or not you tame them or make them tamable ?? provided a male and female are in adjacent tiles ??

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:31:00 am »

Yes.

umbrelladroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:25 am »

cheers thank you for the info.. Also just one more thing.. do you know if  yeti ( child, baby ) has a tile icon ??

I use the firefox tileset so just curious ?