Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Gotterdammerung OOC/Sign-Up (godgame)  (Read 5331 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Gotterdammerung OOC/Sign-Up (godgame)
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:21:52 am »

I'm going to terribly regret this...

IC: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167503.msg7568262#msg7568262

Setting the Stage...

The Age of Darkness has begun to End. By the sacrifice of the greater gods, the world has returned to life and so too, has the conflicts of divine and mortal alike. Unfortunately, you and others like you have lost. Forced to flee, you have fled to the empty lands still in the grip of Darkness, not yet blessed by the invigorating light of the new Age. What followers you once had are dead, shedding their lives so that you could survive. They reside with you in a periapt, a container of souls that may sustain you for some time...and offer reincarnation for the dead, in forms that suit your desires...

What is a godgame?

I'm just gonna copy+pase this from Ghazkull's Pantheon:

In any case a Godgame is a game in which, suprise, you play a god. In general all of them have something called Acts. An act represents the divine power of a god which he can bend to whatever purpose he or she deems necessary.

Nature of the Gods

Gods are physical beings composed of souls and are sustained by the worship of mortals. Consequently, a god cannot exist outside the physical senses of their followers. Either by sight, smell or hearing, a god must be able to be sensed by their followers to act. Should a god be divided from their followers, Terrible Things are likely to happen.

While godly, they are not omnipotent nor omniscient. Their senses are bound to the senses of their followers. Note however that the ability of a god to sense is also directly tied to how many followers are in an area. A city full of followers grants near omniscience in the area while a lone hunter grants no ability to perceive at all.

As beings that feed on worship, a god is naturally affected by how mortals perceive them. While a god may originally see themseles as a deity of forests, followers who begin seeing them as the deity of the hunt and chaos will result in the deity itself changing. Mainly, this affects the god's own artifacts, demigods and servants more than it affects the god itself.

Note that follower in the above context refers to those who primarily worship a god. Individuals may worship many gods, but are only counted as followers for the purpose of extending a god's reach if they worship a specific god primarily. In areas where a pantheon is worshiped, most mortals may not count as followers, limiting gods to only their clergy and devout believers in the area.

Conflict

Gods are physical beings. This said, direct conflict between two deities is looked down upon as terribly uncouth, as well as destructive beyond belief. As such, most conflicts are settled through indirect displays of power, diplomacy, and the manipulation of lesser beings. This said, such violence does occur. In such cases, three concepts are used. Integrity, Dice, and Retinue.

Integrity is the 'hp' of the gods, representing the ability of a god to maintain their physical body in the world with each number representing a portion of a god's divine soul. Should this reach 0, the god collapses upon itself, being unable to sustain its physical existence. However, Integrity is also used to attack other divines. During each round of combat, a god declares a certain amount of Integrity to be used to harm another god and if successful, deducts that amount from the enemy while also dealing the same amount to themselves.

After the amount of chosen Integrity is declared, a god then divides their Dice amongst their dice pools, Defensive and Offensive. A god has a varying amount of dice that can be put in either pool, with Defensive used to minimise damage while Offensive increases damage. Defensive Dice decrease damage from enemy gods and cannot decrease the damage incurred by attacking.

Besides Dice, one can also make use of Retinues. Retinues are various artifacts, followers and other entities that can be declared for use during godly conflict. Retinue can only be chosen from entities or artifacts that willingly give their allegiance to the god or are bound to them in some way. Each Retinue has an effect that is revealed upon the start of a conflict. Once declared, they may be used during any round of combat. Only 1 Retinue may be used per round and is afterwards unusable for the rest of the conflict. Note however that declaring a Retinue may result in permanent damage to it and may forever change it after battle.

A god may elect to yield at the start of any round, forfeiting victory.

Acts

These represent a unit of divine essence used to shape the world. What can be done with a Minor Act can be done with an Act. What can be done with an Act can be done by a Great Act. Note however that utilising so much power on relatively trivial activities can have unexpected effects, and vice versa. Acts are mainly accrued via worship, but other sources do exist.

Minor Acts: A portion of power far outside the reach of most mortals, it is the ability to make heroes of mortals, of changing a region, to create trinkets of power, to change the very essence of a species or usher in the birth of a new entity of power.
Acts: A portion of power standard by godly standards, it is the ability to craft a new species, of morphing great expanses of land, to create artifacts of power, to forge demigods and yet other things. Simple to acquire.
Great Acts: A portion of power that is awe-inspiring even for gods, it is the ability to create whole races of semidivinity, change continents or even tamper with the laws of Creation. Difficult to acquire.

Bound Acts: Acts that can only be used for specific purposes. Restrictions apply on an act-by-act basis.

Of course, a god may perform mundane actions such as holding parties, seducing fair maidens or building a palace. Note however that this tends to be...extremely taxing for all involved and may have grand consequences.

Other Concepts

As the game progresses, other concepts may be discovered. 

OOC Rules

For the sake of everyone, retconning actions and editing posts that affect consequent posts is forbidden.

Sign-up

Probably around 5-8 players.
Code: [Select]
Name:
Core: The primal focus of your god. This is the sphere that god itself perceives as its rightful dominion.
Sphere(s): the aspects of Creation that are perceived to be related to a god by mortals. Leave blank.
Appearance:
Personality:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:00:46 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gotterdammerung OOC/Sign-Up
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:28:38 am »

The Aforementioned Other Concepts

Concept 1: Settling. Destroys the Periapt of Souls, stopping a god from wandering without followers, but also allows for the powers of Creation to be used. All Acts are transferred to the owning god.
Concept 2: NPCs may offer missions or offer requests to players from time to time. This may be given publicly or privately.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:40:34 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:28:59 am »

Dramatis Personae

Personas

Marsus, God of Illumination and Judge of the Eighth Court: powerful divine known for his cunning.

Locations

Basilica of the Baal-Adonai: The centre of the Baal-Adonai cult, those who revere the dead divines congregate here and obey the laws of the Eight Courts. The Basilica is surrounded by the last of Knossos' great cities and if from where the Light spread from.

Entities

Baal-Adonai: The strongest of the gods who sacrificed themselves to create the Light and push away the Dark. Are worshipped by gods and mortals alike.
Eight Courts: The  administration of gods that enforce divine law. All are gods themselves and worship the memory of the Baal-Adonai. Most reside in the Basilica of the Baal-Adonai.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:00:05 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 05:33:25 am »

Nice, another godgame :D

question here however, doesn't the combat concept make fights between gods without any retinues basically a thing of who has more integrity?

if i have 100 integrity and B has 100 integrity and i use 50 to hurt him, i lose 50 in the process but at most do 50 damage do i get that right? Or how does that mesh with the dice?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 05:47:49 am »

In short: Yes, although Dice might significantly increase or decrease that.

Any more info pertaining to this is best discovered in-game.

You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:14:49 am »

Looks kinda interesting. The implication from setting the stage seems to imply that the players are going to be some sorts of gods of stagnation or at least darkness? And that there's going to be other (presumably more powerful) gods and an already existing world? I'm wondering if there's more information on that, and if there's some sorta expectation as to the type of gods players should be playing (it'd be a bit weird to play, idk, a god of light and technology to learn that all the player gods have been banished away from light and civilization at the start of the game)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:25:24 am »

Oh no the gods can be anywhere along the alignment scale, it's just that your gods have been beaten towards the outskirts of godly society, so to speak. Of course, good is subjective and not at all objective. Some gods or races might find torture a good thing, for example. And yes, other gods exist.

I plan to reveal backstory details every turn, although I'm willing to divulge some details now if you really want them.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:29 am »

You can never have enough godgames.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That the sort of thing you're looking for?
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:56:35 am »

Thats perfect. Rusty or not, either work so edit it or keep it in, it doesn't matter too much. Although, requiring your followers to repair you might be a bit tooo much. You're still a god, after all.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:00 am »

Hmm. The repairs would not be, like, literally repairing a machine, of simply replacing a piece of metal with another. One could replicate every inch of metal in Tick and end up with something with no more divinity than any old pile of scrap. Rather, it is the meaning behind the act that gives Tick sustenance.
I mean, when people sacrifice animals to their gods, they aren't doing so because the god will literally starve without it. Repairing Tick is like a 'sacrifice' of iron and labour.
Long Live United Forenia!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:19 am »

Oh, that's perfectly fine then.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:58 am »

I smell a god game. Can I resist joining? Never. I'll post a sheet later today. Probably going to go for some sort of God of monsters or something to that effect.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »

Hmm... I'm bored, this seems interesting. Welp, here goes nothing, poke me if anything is glaringly wrong or missing.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:20:42 pm »

Alright, here is my sheet.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:48 am »

Robson, you can only have 1 Core. Otherwise, both of the sheets are acceptable.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7