Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Crafting system (As described on the tenth post of the 6th page)?

Modular
- 1 (20%)
Free-Form
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Nox LTD. [The Citadel Proper]  (Read 9884 times)

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nox LTD. [The Citadel Proper]
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »

((Ah, so you're saying you won't let me fly, but you WILL let me test armor thickness? This bears consideration~))
((Why do I feel like I just opened Pandora's Box?))

Go purchase the grappeling hook and check out the mission wall
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You walk into the shop and pick out a grappling hook, before bringing it over to Uramie.
".....100....golllld"
You leave the coins on the counter, and leave. After a short jaunt down the hallway and back into the hub, you check the joblist. Only two 'pages' remain:
[9] A human fortress, guarded by The Hand of the King. Notable loot includes what we believe to be the Last Dragon Egg.
[8] A graveyard, rumored to be hiding a passage to a great Goblin Fortress deep underground. General Zugzanar is rumored to reside here.

Nabid rubs a hand along his beard. "What's in the fortresses again?"

Craft another bone ring.
"Lots of guards, The Hand of The King, and, perhaps most notably, we think The Last Dragon Egg."

You dig through the bone bags again, selecting another piece of bone. You set to work on another ring.
[2] You scraped too much along the inside of the ring, and crack the rough loop you had created.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »

((Ah, so you're saying you won't let me fly, but you WILL let me test armor thickness? This bears consideration~))

Oh god it's tinker all over again inb4 medeavil flame thrower or machinegun crossbow.

Actualy, wonder if one could make demascus steel swords and thermite....

Take the castle fortress

Atyr, in his blood soaked robes, gives a slight wave to the other guynat the job board

"Thinking of taking the fortress job too?"

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:22:08 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 01:49:40 am »

"I'll bet an elf did this," Nabid grumbles, looking at his ruined craftdwarfship.

He shakes his head at the actual elf. "Nay, was thinking of the goblin warrens."

Grab a graveyard crystal.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:42 am »

Oh god it's tinker all over again inb4 medeavil flame thrower or machinegun crossbow.

Actualy, wonder if one could make demascus steel swords and thermite....

Take the castle fortress

Atyr, in his blood soaked robes, gives a slight wave to the other guynat the job board

"Thinking of taking the fortress job too?"

You choose the left-most of the two jobs: The fortress. You place your palm on the 'page', grab a crystal, and feel your head begin to spin again. You awake just outside of a fortress.

"I'll bet an elf did this," Nabid grumbles, looking at his ruined craftdwarfship.

He shakes his head at the actual elf. "Nay, was thinking of the goblin warrens."

Grab a graveyard crystal.
You choose the other remaining job, The graveyard. You mirror the elf's motions, and as you grab the crystal, that oh so familiar head-spin overtakes you. You awake outside of a graveyard.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »

Hmm hmm. Let's us try this one on for size, eh?

Name: Haeline
Race: Swift Woman (+3 dodge, -2 block) (10pts)
Starting Equipment:
   Greatbow (+2 attack, -2 dodge, must be anchored in the ground to fire) (30pts)
   Dagger (Always does double damage from stealth) (5pts)
   Another Dagger (Always does double damage from stealth) (5pts)
Perks:
   Tinker (Takes things apart, puts them back together, and pockets the spares. Good at making things of varying value and effectiveness) (50pts)
Bio: Haeline is very inquisitive for an animal person, and has stolen many objects from the more "civilized" races to take apart and examine them. One of the results of her experimentation is the Greatbow, which many would consider to be far too large to be practical. This sort of thing doesn't worry Haeline.
She died to a crossbow bolt to the head.
Total Points used: 100/100
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »

[snip]
(( Everything looks good, but I'd like some clarification on the Perk. What exactly were you looking for it to do in terms of roll modifiers? +1 to crafting/salvaging? Something like that? ))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 09:43:45 pm »

I just figured it would be good to pay you a little point tax for doing tinker at all. But if you like, give me a +1 or +2 to any rolls made to make things.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:55 am »

I just figured it would be good to pay you a little point tax for doing tinker at all. But if you like, give me a +1 or +2 to any rolls made to make things.
What are those I hear? are those the Drums of Doom? No ... it can't be ... the monotonous hum of tinkerers debating ammo size and muzzle veloocity! In multipart quotes, with dozens of technical questions per post. You've destroyed us all!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2017, 08:49:43 am »

What are those I hear? are those the Drums of Doom? No ... it can't be ... the monotonous hum of tinkerers debating ammo size and muzzle veloocity! In multipart quotes, with dozens of technical questions per post. You've destroyed us all!
hmm, wonder what would be supperior as a dagger,
 a demaskus steel high carbon dagger blade with modified silica content by using high silicon clay down the spine of the blade and edges folded over each other versus a tungsten carbide blade made from tungsten ground into a dust combined with iron shavings and coal heated up and hammered into a mold.

I think the tungsten would be more durable and all rounder type blade versus the tungsten carbide's fragility but keener edge.

And while I am at it what would a uranium core mace do?

and does magic that induces a knock back exist and how does enchanting work? If it works like in dnd I may be able to build a crossbow that should have high rates of fire at the cost of accuracy.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2017, 02:23:16 pm »

(( @Egan, we're gonna go with +1 Crafting/+1 Salvaging for Tinker. ))

Haeline
Your eyes adjust slowly to the bright room, and as they do you examine your surroundings. The walls are lined with dozens of pods identical to your won, giving the room a rather eerie feeling as it dawns on you that they must also be stuffed with bodies. The screen next to the hallway crackles, and a familiar voice pulls through.
"Good morning Haeline~", the musical tone of her voice sending shivers down your spine, "There's a locker underneath your pod, makes sure to grab your things and then head down the hall. I'll give you a quick tour of The Citadel once you do~.

The buzzing of the screen ceases, and you are left alone in the Pod Room.

Alright, Let's have a conversation about the crafting system. I've two systems in mind, and I'd like to pose it to you guys as to which we use.

For Both Systems:
  • Create Parts from Raw Materials
  • Combine afforementioned parts into weapons/armours
  • Each part will have a set material cost
  • Each time you craft a part/assemble a weapon/armour piece, you'll roll for success. Failures can be as mild as just needing to try again or as severe as losing all of your materials. On the other hand, success' can be as mundane as simply creating your part, or as spectacular as using only half of the materials/accidentally enchanting the weapon.
  • Most Importantly: Parts can only be created/assembled within the citadel.

Here's the divergence point into one of two systems, which I've labeled Modular and Free-Form.

Modular:
  • Each weapon/armour piece is made of a certain (and limited) number of parts.
  • A template will be provided as to which parts can be used in which weapons/armour pieces.
  • Each part will be give a certain roll modifier based upon what it is and the material used to create it.
  • The sum of the part's modifiers will then be the modifiers of the weapon/armour piece's stats as a whole.
As far as I see it, the pros/cons of this system are:
(+)You know exactly what you'll get in terms of Roll Modifiers.
(+)Easier to keep balanced throughout the game, and easier to keep track of
(-)Far less creative
(-)And in my opinion, a fair bit less fun.

Free-Form:
  • Describe to me what exactly you're trying to build, and what parts it needs. If they're balanced fairly (i.e not "1 sword blade and a bowstring = a chainsaw flinger"), I'll give you the go ahead. If not, I'll offer you a different list of parts based on the weapon/armour piece's intended function.
  • Describe the desired function of the weapon (rapid fire, lights opponent on fire, turns opponent into frog, etc.)
  • I'll apply Roll Modifiers based on the assembly success roll and game balance.
Pros/Cons:
(+)Much more creative
(+)In my opinion, much more fun
(-)Added chance of luck turning your creation totally useless
(-)All weapons/armour become abstract in terms of stats/roll modifiers. Harder to balance.

I'm going to put a poll up for the two options, and once the current set of missions are done, the one in the lead will be implemented. Any lurkers just following this thread, feel free to vote. The more feedback I get, the more I'll know what players in general want.

Its also important to note that the system that is picked is applied to the world, not just players. In free-form, you could theoretically create a bow which shoots explosives that level cities. But what that means is the NPCs can too. Rising tides float all ships.

With that, I want to temporarily close recruitment. I'll open it back up once the new system is implemented.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »

THe fact that crafting covers such highly skilled careers as blacksmithing, armouring, and weaponsmithing, well, let's go whole hog and do freeform. it's gonna severely unbalance the game, but it'll be fun up to that point.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2017, 03:22:12 pm »

Free-Form! It's chaotic, but chaos is good. Solid rules get in the way of the sort of crazy shit that makes good stories.

"Uh-huh. Yup, later lady."

Retrieve my stuff and then explore in the exact opposite direction to where I've been directed. If the room only has one exit, search it meticulously. (If there's a locker under my own pod, there must be lockers under all the other pods, and who knows what kinds of loot those corpses might be supposed to inherit?) Then exit the room and go forward until I reach some crossroads, then go down the wrong path.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »

Stick in the mud modular vote reporting in. I'm concerned about this point in particular:
(-)All weapons/armour become abstract in terms of stats/roll modifiers. Harder to balance.
It doesn't do us much good to be able to craft anything if anything we craft becomes fuzzy and indistinct. This is especially true if we're limiting crafting to the citadel to begin with, since a lot of the more valid uses for freeform crafting are "solve this exact problem with these exact materials," not "throw together what I've got into a flaming chainsaw."

That said, I am a little worried about it getting too banal also. Iron Bars + Leather Strips = Iron Breastplate is fine, Iron Foreplate + Iron Backplate + Iron Pauldrons + Leather Strips = Leather Breastplate is maybe getting a little excessive.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:03 pm »

Well yeah, because the breastplate is just the bit in front. Duh. ;p

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2017, 10:43:34 pm »

"Uh-huh. Yup, later lady."

Retrieve my stuff and then explore in the exact opposite direction to where I've been directed. If the room only has one exit, search it meticulously. (If there's a locker under my own pod, there must be lockers under all the other pods, and who knows what kinds of loot those corpses might be supposed to inherit?) Then exit the room and go forward until I reach some crossroads, then go down the wrong path.
You pop open the locker underneath your pod, and take stock of the contents: Two daggers and a Greatbow. You briefly consider going the exact opposite way that Rathine instructed you to, but are remiss to find there is only one exit. The doorway is made of the same stone that the walls, floor, and roof are: a deep black stone. Other than that, the only thing of interest is the screen next to the door. It is a deep, almost black purple in hue, with the same bisected skull logo that you saw within the pod. Content that you have the entrance covered, you turn your attention to the other pods, and more importantly, their lockers. You try to pop open a few, finding most locked, and the ones that do pop open empty. The screen buzzes as you attempt to open another.
"I appreciate the try," she begins, a hint of amusement on her voice, "But I'm afraid those lockers don't open until the pods do. Hurry along now~"

You head off down the single hallway, and it opens into a large room. Four hallways, including the one you just entered from, are the only visible paths leading from this room. In the middle, a much larger form of the screen you saw in your pod sits on a raised podium. It buzzes as you look around.
"Welcome to The Citadel! This is your home/base of operations for the foreseeable future. The screen in the middle is referred to as The Job List. You'll pick up your missions from here. It's easy to use: tap the black bar that runs along the bottom to refresh the screen, it'll give you five job offers. If you want to take one, place your palm on the 'page', and grab one of the crystals at the top. It'll whisk you off to whatever locale you've picked. Simply break the crystal when you're done, and it'll send you right back. Other than that, the hallways lead to a few rooms. Directly ahead is The Stitchery, run by Tu'Thanak. As the name implies, he'll stitch you back together should you ever need it. To the left is the shop, looked after by Uramie. Sell any loot you don't want to keep there. Finally, to the right, is the Reliquary, run by Emasil. He's the resident magic-master. With all that out of the way, any questions?"

Stick in the mud modular vote reporting in. I'm concerned about this point in particular:
It doesn't do us much good to be able to craft anything if anything we craft becomes fuzzy and indistinct. This is especially true if we're limiting crafting to the citadel to begin with, since a lot of the more valid uses for freeform crafting are "solve this exact problem with these exact materials," not "throw together what I've got into a flaming chainsaw."

That said, I am a little worried about it getting too banal also. Iron Bars + Leather Strips = Iron Breastplate is fine, Iron Foreplate + Iron Backplate + Iron Pauldrons + Leather Strips = Leather Breastplate is maybe getting a little excessive.
More along the lines of: Two iron bars = one iron plate, one piece of hide = six strips of leather, two iron plates + four leather strips = one iron breastplate.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7