Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 11720 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 01:25:34 pm »

My creature crashed the game when I tried to test it in the arena, so I guess there's still work to do. Does having vermin (or vermin remains) in the arena always crash the game or is this something else? Here are the RAWs if you want to look. I'm not finished with them yet, I just wanted to see if getting the creature to exhale dead bees would work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For one thing... I'm not that good at modding, I just have a good grasp on what you can and can't mod.

On the other hand... the problem is how the interaction breath attack type TRAILING_ITEM_FLOW works. From the wiki.

Shoots a "cloud" of items at the target, leaving piles of this item on the floor. Note that this does not create the actual items or use falling item mechanics (meaning no flying daggers or Touhou-style barrages, unfortunately). Instead, this token acts as TRAILING_GAS_FLOW, except that the material will use its normal temperature - for example, a breath attack of steel anvils will envelop the target in a "burst of steel". Creature will attack as normal.

The bold section is the important part. It probably means that this is impossible, but crazier things have been done, so who knows.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

My creature crashed the game when I tried to test it in the arena, so I guess there's still work to do. Does having vermin (or vermin remains) in the arena always crash the game or is this something else? Here are the RAWs if you want to look. I'm not finished with them yet, I just wanted to see if getting the creature to exhale dead bees would work.

For one thing... I'm not that good at modding, I just have a good grasp on what you can and can't mod.

On the other hand... the problem is how the interaction breath attack type TRAILING_ITEM_FLOW works. From the wiki.

Shoots a "cloud" of items at the target, leaving piles of this item on the floor. Note that this does not create the actual items or use falling item mechanics (meaning no flying daggers or Touhou-style barrages, unfortunately). Instead, this token acts as TRAILING_GAS_FLOW, except that the material will use its normal temperature - for example, a breath attack of steel anvils will envelop the target in a "burst of steel". Creature will attack as normal.

The bold section is the important part. It probably means that this is impossible, but crazier things have been done, so who knows.

Huh. Well, that kind of sucks. This might take a while, then. If I don't figure this out, then I'll just go with KittyTac's earlier suggestion:

Hmmm... there might be a very hacky way of exhaling vermin, but otherwise you can make it breathe a material named "bees" that applies bee sting effects.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 01:34:02 pm »

Huh. Well, that kind of sucks. This might take a while, then. If I don't figure this out, then I'll just go with KittyTac's earlier suggestion:

Hmmm... there might be a very hacky way of exhaling vermin, but otherwise you can make it breathe a material named "bees" that applies bee sting effects.

Good luck! I can't really help any more from here unfortunately.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 08:36:00 pm »

zombie bees.
I love this place.

It's even better if you take the three words before it as well.

then you breath zombie bees.

Very rare sentence. Any non-bay12 google hits?

Hmm... lemme check.

...yes actually. A news article about zombie bees. Can't make this up, nature is awesome.

What about "Then you breath zombie bees"?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 08:47:22 pm »

zombie bees.
I love this place.

Hmm... lemme check.

...yes actually. A news article about zombie bees. Can't make this up, nature is awesome.

That's what I searched. All of the results were talking about that zombie bee plague.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »

zombie bees.
I love this place.

Hmm... lemme check.

That's what I searched. All of the results were talking about that zombie bee plague.

I might mod in bee people and make the parasitic flies into something you actively have to contain. Actually, Bee Fortress could be pretty interesting.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 10:19:44 pm »

If only there were a honey dependent tag...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 10:26:22 pm »

You can remove their access to normal booze and add a plant that collects as nectar and give them access to a booze called "honey" that brews from that nectar.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:16 pm »

You can remove their access to normal booze and add a plant that collects as nectar and give them access to a booze called "honey" that brews from that nectar.

Plus, there's always mead.

Well, it's been decided. I'm doing this. Bee Fortress will beecome a thing. Probably tomorrow, though.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »

Well, it's been decided. I'm doing this. Bee Fortress will beecome a thing. Probably tomorrow, though.

Yeah, but mead comes from the little bees. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryConfusion

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:39 pm »

I don't know why this wasn't a thing until now. Have fun making the world's best mod!

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:49 pm »

Yeah, but mead comes from the little bees. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryConfusion

True. I just think that having the main export and drink of the bee people being mead would make sense. I'm still thinking of ideas.

I don't know why this wasn't a thing until now. Have fun making the world's best mod!

Thanks! I'll try to make this as soon as possible so I can show you guys.  :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 11:41:57 pm »

Okay, let's break this down:

You can't make zombie vermin at all.

You can't spawn live creatures properly, vermin or otherwise.

You can't make a gas that animates creatures; animation can only be done with a direct interaction, though you can fake it by making an interaction that both animates a target and blows gas at them.

You can animate a creature and give it an ability, though.  For example, you can make a "walking hive" syndrome that animated corpses as zombies, gave them the ability to shoot a cloud of "bees" (actually just a vapor that caused bee sting effects on targets) and also gave zombies the ability to animate other corpses with the same abilities, creating a contagious zombee apocalypse.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 07:40:54 am »

Well now I feel dumb for suggesting Zombees.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 11:52:06 am »

Well now I feel dumb for suggesting Zombees.
Don't feel dumb. It was a really cool idea, and it inspired me to make bee people. Even though it doesn't seem like it would have worked out, it seemed like something that might have worked, and I appreciate the help trying to think of how to get this to work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3