Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for orc castes?  (Read 989 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Ideas for orc castes?
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »

Similar to the ideas for subterranean creatures thread I made for Culture Shock, I plan on adding something for the Goblinoids (and Orcs!) mod I have.

I only have one idea for a different type and that's orc runts. Anything you guys got?

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for orc castes?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:58 pm »

Well if you don't mind some semi-random ideas.....
Berserker (more proficient with weapons rageing when low hp) Shaman (lots o magic) Chief (leader of a group strong largish)  Worker (strong stupid big) Scholar (any gender some magic) Matriarch (important female magic) Orc King (male stronger larger slightly slower) Orc freerunner (Faster but weak)
If you need any more just ask....

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:24:37 pm »

You could have runts and grunts. 

If you're talking about goblinoids in the D&D sense, those are usually goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears.  (D&D follows a mistake in translation perpetuated in early Fantasy literature, that goblins are smaller and hobgoblins are larger.  Actually, hobgoblin implies small, since a hob is a type of tiny spirit creature, so it should go the opposite way.) 

Borrowing from D&D again, there are half-orcs.  In D&D4, they proposed that half-orcs are not (necessarily) the biological result of breeding an orc and a human, but rather, they are a distinct race with unknown origins that is half-way between an orc and human in size and temperament.  Following the same logic, you could have something that's like a double-orc or ogre-orc, bigger and meaner than a normal orc, but even stupider. 

You could also have orcs (or goblins) that have some sort of lineage to powerful beasts, like a demon-kin, dragon-kin, elder-kin (i.e. Cthulu), jotun-kin, oni-kin, trent-kin, naga-kin, asura-kin, ifrit-kin, marid-kin, and so on. 

There are a lot of mythical types of trickster spirits and poultergeists that could pall around with goblins.  Puck, boggart, hob, brownie, kobold, powrie, gremlin, imp, tengu (are sometimes thought of as goblins), nilbog, pukwudgie, gnome, genoma, leprechaun, kobaloi, pixie, etc. 

And there's always colors.  Blue goblins, black orcs, etc.  Or biomes.  Swamp orc, mountain orc, sand goblin, ice goblin, etc. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:24 pm »

You could have runts and grunts. 

If you're talking about goblinoids in the D&D sense, those are usually goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears.  (D&D follows a mistake in translation perpetuated in early Fantasy literature, that goblins are smaller and hobgoblins are larger.  Actually, hobgoblin implies small, since a hob is a type of tiny spirit creature, so it should go the opposite way.) 

Borrowing from D&D again, there are half-orcs.  In D&D4, they proposed that half-orcs are not (necessarily) the biological result of breeding an orc and a human, but rather, they are a distinct race with unknown origins that is half-way between an orc and human in size and temperament.  Following the same logic, you could have something that's like a double-orc or ogre-orc, bigger and meaner than a normal orc, but even stupider. 

You could also have orcs (or goblins) that have some sort of lineage to powerful beasts, like a demon-kin, dragon-kin, elder-kin (i.e. Cthulu), jotun-kin, oni-kin, trent-kin, naga-kin, asura-kin, ifrit-kin, marid-kin, and so on. 

There are a lot of mythical types of trickster spirits and poultergeists that could pall around with goblins.  Puck, boggart, hob, brownie, kobold, powrie, gremlin, imp, tengu (are sometimes thought of as goblins), nilbog, pukwudgie, gnome, genoma, leprechaun, kobaloi, pixie, etc. 

And there's always colors.  Blue goblins, black orcs, etc.  Or biomes.  Swamp orc, mountain orc, sand goblin, ice goblin, etc.

Good ideas!

Mind if I explain some of the things in my mod?

The goblinoids for my mod are part D&D based, part biome based.

However, the D&D inspired ones (bugbears and hobgoblins) have noticeable difference to their counterparts.

The bugbears of my mod are still big and furry, but are less evil and more neutral strong ass guys who live in the forest.
The hobgoblins are more inspired by Warcraft's tabletop game (yes, that existed) version of hobgoblins, being big and tough like my bugbears, but not furry and neutral. These hobgoblins are wild and looking for fights.

Wait, why did I just talk about other goblinoids when my topic was ideas for orc castes?  XD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:14:04 pm by Asin »