Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do the attack characteristics of ammo affect it when it's fired?  (Read 959 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Do the attack characteristics of ammo affect it when it's fired?
« on: September 18, 2017, 03:41:46 am »

If they do, I may buff my railguns immensely.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do the attack characteristics of ammo affect it when it's fired?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41:35 am »

from a long time ago, I recall that my 'rocket bolts' that used 'neutronium' were more effective than those that used lead - but I am not sure if I am reading your question right.  Here is what I know:

Material properties of the bolt are important - steel bolts will pierce armour better than bone will - platinum rounds carry more force than tin.

The attributes you define in ammo.txt though? They are for if your dwarf decides to try and stab someone with an arrow he is holding in his hand.

Also - if you set the velocity of a projectile too high, sometimes it pass right through a target with no effect - I don't recall exactly how this part worked - too long ago.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:40:13 am »

from a long time ago, I recall that my 'rocket bolts' that used 'neutronium' were more effective than those that used lead - but I am not sure if I am reading your question right.  Here is what I know:

Material properties of the bolt are important - steel bolts will pierce armour better than bone will - platinum rounds carry more force than tin.

The attributes you define in ammo.txt though? They are for if your dwarf decides to try and stab someone with an arrow he is holding in his hand.

Also - if you set the velocity of a projectile too high, sometimes it pass right through a target with no effect - I don't recall exactly how this part worked - too long ago.

I set my railgun shells' size to be big, and I'm including a reaction to make them out of slade. Thanks.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37:47 am »

IIRC - my rocket bolts were big and heavy too - they would smash into targets with satisfying force, breaking things and often knocking them around.  One time a goat basically exploded from a shot.  This was a few editions of DF back now, but I don't think that part of the game has changed too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:40:51 am »

IIRC - my rocket bolts were big and heavy too - they would smash into targets with satisfying force, breaking things and often knocking them around.  One time a goat basically exploded from a shot.  This was a few editions of DF back now, but I don't think that part of the game has changed too much.

Yeah, my railguns propel people like 7 tiles backward if they hit the body, and pulp limbs if they hit limbs.