Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Periods of Magic Dormancy  (Read 866 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Periods of Magic Dormancy
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:04 pm »

This might already be part of Toady's long term plans, but I'll post it here anyway just in case. Basically, an event that causes magic in a DF world to decrease or stop working entirely. It could be due to the actions of a player or NPC, the will of a deity/deities, or mysterious and unknown reasons altogether. If the magical dormancy lasts long enough (say a minimum of several generations), then certain civilizations and/or creatures may become skeptical of ancient myths and historic events from before the fall of magic or they could even deny their historicity outright. When and if magic does return to the world through one cause or another (which it may not in some cases, or if it does it may be subtle enough that certain entities remain skeptical), the longer the world has been without magic should have an effect on how much turmoil its return causes amongst the civilized races of the world. That said, as with most things in DF, little would likely be set in stone and there are a number of ways events such as this could go.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Periods of Magic Dormancy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:56:45 pm »

That's kind of exactly what Tarn says whenever he talks about Mythgen. I suggest watching this to hear his current thoughts (it's from a couple of days ago). Then come back with specific ideas on what might actually happen.

https://youtu.be/L67Xb4tgVv8

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:49 pm »

Ah, thanks for the link. I knew it was probably already a possibility.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:34 am »

Ah, thanks for the link. I knew it was probably already a possibility.

As everything in Dwarf Fortress.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:16:26 pm »

Mayhem would occur naturally if different races were affected by magic in different ways. Say, goblins go into a hybernation without magic, sealing themselves underground. When magic returns they spring out of nowhere and go on the warpath. Elves could require magic to reproduce, and face extinction in a non-magic setting. But once magic returns they rapidly multiply and start aggressively imposing logging quotas and transforming barren or plains biomes into magical woodland.

And for real chaos, the clowns could escape from the circus and actually leave the embark zone. That would up the ante for candy mining as you risk losing the entire world.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:03 pm »

Mayhem would occur naturally if different races were affected by magic in different ways. Say, goblins go into a hybernation without magic, sealing themselves underground. When magic returns they spring out of nowhere and go on the warpath. Elves could require magic to reproduce, and face extinction in a non-magic setting. But once magic returns they rapidly multiply and start aggressively imposing logging quotas and transforming barren or plains biomes into magical woodland.

And for real chaos, the clowns could escape from the circus and actually leave the embark zone. That would up the ante for candy mining as you risk losing the entire world.

You know people like me would do it on purpose, right?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:46 am »

This makes me think of Shadowrun/Earthdawn and its whole "magic is cyclical" thing.

In particular, I believe that magic in those settings kind of comes and goes slightly gradually - in particular, some magical creatures (century ferrets) came into the Shadowrun setting before the Awakening of 2011 (which was the major event that brought most of the magic back), while some things (goblinization ie. people turning into orks and trolls) came in a bit later after that. Something similar could be had in magical DF settings, I think.