Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Nox LTD. [The Fortress]  (Read 12578 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Nox LTD. [The Fortress]
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 06:50:39 am »

Attack the armed guard. Keep his attention as much as possible so my teammate has the best chance at a flanking attack.

Kinda wish NRDL would finish off the other guy, but with that armor it's a bit of a challenge. This is proooobably the best move for now.
Also, tank v tank battles can be a tad long.
May I suggest that with heavy bleeding, at least one round's worth of damage is done at each level of bleeding? have the saving throw halve that damage instead of eliminating it entirely. Feel free to disregard this suggestion from a person who is currently wielding a "causes severe bleeding on nat. damage roll of 5 or more" weapon.

Spoiler: Brutus (click to show/hide)

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 01:59:53 pm »

Quickly move to the other man, aiming for the weak point in his armour with my dagger.
As Brutus distracts the guard with his presence, you direct a stab for the gap between his chest plate and leg guards.
[4] You're slightly off the mark, and your blade harmlessly bounces off the bottom of chest piece.

Sneak up torwards the North eastern tower and toss the ring to the south, if the guard goes to investigate it place the grappeling hook on the wall so the others can get up and sneak back. If spotted and at range use bow, if in melee just stab the man with the sword.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(You're currently on the North-Eastern tower. I'm gonna assume you meant North-Western)
You sneak toward the north-west tower along the ramparts. Upon seeing the guard, you attempt to lob the ring a fair ways behind him.
[9] Your aim was perfect, and the ring falls directly south of him on the ramparts. He notices the noise, turns, and walks toward it to investigate.
You take this opportunity to hook your grappling hook in, and toss the rope down the northern-most face of the tower.

Attack the armed guard. Keep his attention as much as possible so my teammate has the best chance at a flanking attack.

You bring your sword down in an arc, aimed squarely at the head of the guard,
[4+3](Attack) vs [3](Block) and his gauntlet moves too slowly to block your blade, [D10 for Damage: 5-5(Armour). Though your blade skirts to the side, the runes begin glowing none-the-less, and you see blood begin leaking out from underneath.
[Status Gained: Severe Bleeding]

He roars as blood drips down the side of his head, and directs a furious stab at your chest.
[ [9+1](Attack) vs [3+2](Block) You're surprised at the ferocity of his strike, and move too slowly to block it, [D10 for Damage: 6-5(Armour). It pierces you chest piece, but only slightly, leaving you with a small cut and not much more. As he goes to draw his blade back, his fingers slip off the handle. The sword falls harmlessly to the ground, and he is unarmed.
[Severe Bleeding: 4. D10 for damage: 9

The guard sways uneasily on his feet, his blood loss clearly affecting him.

(( These higher rank missions inevitably turn into a grind as both parties try to out roll each other. On one hand, I think this provides a more entertaining feel over the long haul, as insta-gibbing all opponents loses its entertainment value rather quickly. On the other hand, long, drawn-out battle sequences prove to be remarkably boring in the short-term. Its a difficult thing to balance, and I'd be interested to hear all you thoughts. As for bleeding, its balanced that way for the player's benefit more than the NPC's. A good example is Dustan Hache's first fight in The Graveyard. If bleeding did half damage on the saving throw, he would have died inside of the first fight. At least this way, I give players the opportunity to try and heal themselves before the saving throw. Again, I'm always interested in feedback, but I think the current system works best with the player-npc balance kept in mind. ))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »

What happened to the other guard? The one that was already down? Either way, execute these guys. Attack until they are dead or until they become a threat again. If dead, loot the corpses. Spaz, I wish you'd have left the grappling hook in the other tower - the one without a guard. Nothing like being in the middle of a climb when the guard returns.

((Dustin chose top solo a high rank mission on his first go. High lethality is an acceptable result. In general though, if bleeding is OP, simply restrict wen it occurs. As for battles being a bit of a slog, well, I don't mind, until the point at which the battle involves enough players that waiting for posts becomes a chore. at that point, auto-ing actions, or repeating some basic actions [i.e. "keep attacking this guy until x or y happen] become possible alternatives. And to be clear, I am enjoying hte game so far. I just see certain places where balance might be weak, and lead to either OP players very early, or a couple of other possible outcomes. Well, time will tell, eh? for now, it's fun))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »

snip
Don't worry, I got it. Just run up here when you can and I'll heal you guys

hide in the northern wall and wait for him to return, if he is alone sneak up and stab him jn the back and push him over the wall, if others join him back away and head in the oposite direction from them
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:17:47 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:14 pm »

Keep stabbing these fucking guards. Whichever one is still alive after Brutus is done with the first one.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:23 pm »

What happened to the other guard? The one that was already down? Either way, execute these guys. Attack until they are dead or until they become a threat again. If dead, loot the corpses. Spaz, I wish you'd have left the grappling hook in the other tower - the one without a guard. Nothing like being in the middle of a climb when the guard returns.

((Dustin chose top solo a high rank mission on his first go. High lethality is an acceptable result. In general though, if bleeding is OP, simply restrict wen it occurs. As for battles being a bit of a slog, well, I don't mind, until the point at which the battle involves enough players that waiting for posts becomes a chore. at that point, auto-ing actions, or repeating some basic actions [i.e. "keep attacking this guy until x or y happen] become possible alternatives. And to be clear, I am enjoying hte game so far. I just see certain places where balance might be weak, and lead to either OP players very early, or a couple of other possible outcomes. Well, time will tell, eh? for now, it's fun))

One guard remains face down in the dirt, his chest very shallowly rising and falling - he's on death's door, unable to move.
You swing hard at the standing guard, looking to put him out of his misery.
[ [2+3] (Attack) vs [10] (Block) ] In one last act of defiance, he swings his gauntlet up and catches your blade. His block was good, but with his failing strength he can't push your blade away, and it strikes his chest, driving deep within. He shudders, breathing one last breath, before collapsing, dead.
Guard 1 has been Struck down!

snip
Don't worry, I got it. Just run up here when you can and I'll heal you guys

hide in the northern wall and wait for him to return, if he is alone sneak up and stab him jn the back and push him over the wall, if others join him back away and head in the oposite direction from them
You quietly wait for the guard to return, hiding in a blind spot of the rampart. After a few moments he does so, examining the iron ring as he walks by you, oblivious. You strike, aiming to slide your dagger into his back.
[STEALTH ATTACK: 7] You reach out and cover his mouth, silencing him as your blade pushes into his back. [D10 for damage: 5x2 - 5(Armour)] He struggles against your grip, and in response you shove him towards the northern-most rampart, hoping to toss him over.
[3] Your push comes up short, and he ends up on the floor of the rampart. Released from your grip, he screams for the guards.
[7] The guard directly south of you comes running towards you, sword drawn. The guards below also hear the call, but don't move. Its likely they have orders not to leave the door to the keep.

Keep stabbing these fucking guards. Whichever one is still alive after Brutus is done with the first one.
You turn your attention to the downed guard, and calmly execute the helpless man, sliding your dagger into his neck.
[Auto] Guard 2 has been Struck down!

Brutus and Nix
You quickly search the two guards. Each has a set of steel armour, a one-handed iron sword, and a guard horn. You check both of their pockets.
[5] Guard 1 has nothing of any real value on him. Two copper rings and a small cross-shaped pendant hanging around his neck.
[5] Guard 2 also has little of value. One iron ring, and an identical pendant.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 12:35:44 pm »

Leave their valuables, take the horn.

"Servatak. Thank you. Nix needed help."
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 01:06:05 pm »

"You are welcome, little ally. This task was, from the beginning, much for a single person. Though perhaps you could have succeeded, in time."
Brutus examines the items in the guards' possession.
"It seems i overpayed for this horn. We got these two for free.
Take the other horn, the rings, and the two pendants. (Resist the urge to strip the enemy of their armor and weaponry and become a hulking turtle.) Examine the pendants. Can I learn anything about them? They appear to be some sort of insignia for the guards.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

"Riends, if you can hear me, could use your help!"
Stab the guard in the back with the sword then fall back
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 01:21:37 am »

"You distract. I stab in back. Good plan?", Nix asks Brutus, referring to the vast majority of guards still left around the castle.

"Or find way up towers?"
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:58 am »

"It's about as good a plan as we have at the moment, friend."

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

Leave their valuables, take the horn.

"Servatak. Thank you. Nix needed help."
You kneel down to grab his horn, and then stand.

You hear a voice ring out from the nearby tower. Distinctly Elvish, it pleads for help. Likely a co-worker, you think.

"You are welcome, little ally. This task was, from the beginning, much for a single person. Though perhaps you could have succeeded, in time."
Brutus examines the items in the guards' possession.
"It seems i overpayed for this horn. We got these two for free.
Take the other horn, the rings, and the two pendants. (Resist the urge to strip the enemy of their armor and weaponry and become a hulking turtle.) Examine the pendants. Can I learn anything about them? They appear to be some sort of insignia for the guards.

You grab the second of the two horns, strip all of the rings from the guard (two copper, one iron), and grab their pendants. You take a good long look at them.
[10] You remember this insignia from a time long ago. It is used to express faith in the largest human religion, that of Chrima. Them both having it makes you assume that they both followed the faith, though if the other guards wear similar ones, this might be a branch of The Church. That thought sends shivers down even your spine; They had sent crusades against groups who had done far less than killing a detachment of guards.

You hear a voice ring out from the nearby tower. Distinctly Elvish, it pleads for help. Likely a co-worker, you think.

"Riends, if you can hear me, could use your help!"
Stab the guard in the back with the sword then fall back
You call out over the edge of the tower, pleading for help.
[9] And your voice rings out, reaching them.

You quickly direct a strike at the downed guard.
[6] The stab you had directed at his back ends up hitting him in the upper leg, [D10 for damage: 10-5(Armour), and shears through the armour, striking the stone beneath him. He lets forth a guttural scream as you withdraw the blade from his leg and flee eastward.

The other guard arrives and helps his friend up, before they both chase after you.

Haeline
You regain your senses, and find yourself in a forest north of an intimidating stone construction. Before you can consider a plan of action, your crystal buzzes.
"Your allies for this mission are somewhat separated. Two lie due west of you, and one is up on the tower to your south. The one on the wall, Atyr, has left a way up at the north-west tower. Best of luck~"

The buzzing fades, leaving you alone in the woods.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »

Plant my bow, take aim, and snipe one of the guards chasing Atyr.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »

Pull out my bow and aim for the guard helping the other up, aim for his knees.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 03:32:06 pm »

I have a suspicion that attempting to climb a wall wearing full plate armor would result in comical misadventures. My alternative, however, is to bluff the guards at the gate.

Go to the tower with the rope and carefully, slowly, climb. Let the kobold go first if he is so inclined. Upon reaching the top, or falling to the ground, switch equipment from shield to one handed sword. Use Titan's Grip, to gain the two handed attack modifier on my bastard sword of bleeding.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8