Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question: Shop prices?  (Read 3381 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Question: Shop prices?
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

I keep seeing references to prices in shops in adventure mode, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where to see them. I can see the weight fine, but not the prices of the items. Is it possible? Do I need an appraiser skill? Am I just totally missing something?

Screenshot attached.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Shop prices?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:22:51 am »

No.  Everything is done on the barter system.  You ask for what you want and then you offer what you think it might be worth.  They accept or not.  There is no penalty for bidding too low (as opposed to fortress mode), so you feel free to offer whatever.  Your social skills seem to determine how good of a deal you can get.

Also, unless you just want coins to throw at people, don't ask for cash.  You can't spend it due to bugs.  You can only barter items.  When you are in a tavern, you can pay for services with items (depending on how much of a bill you rack up, you might be able to get a gut feeling for "price" by trading for tavern services and seeing what they will accept for the cash that you owe).

Edit: Quick question of my own (sorry for the hijack): Is there any way in adventure mode to make a profit?  Is there arbitrage (i.e. buying and selling in places with different demand), or can you get your social skills to a point where people will pay more than you did for something?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:25:21 am by mikekchar »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:51:18 am »

Edit: Quick question of my own (sorry for the hijack): Is there any way in adventure mode to make a profit?  Is there arbitrage (i.e. buying and selling in places with different demand), or can you get your social skills to a point where people will pay more than you did for something?

Sing with me:

ECONOOOOMYYY UPDATEEEEEE
COOOOOOOOMING INNNNNN
TEEEEEEENNNN YEAAAAAAAARS
BUT DON'T BE CERTAINNNNNNN
NOOOOOOBOOOOOOODY KNOOOOOOWS!!!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:07 am »

I'd say never
××××××××××××××××××

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:48:03 am »

I'd say never

Development is not getting derailed unless something really bad (as in, World War III bad) happens.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:55:00 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:53:18 am »

I'd say never

Development is not getting unless something really bad (as in, World War III bad) happens.

I imagine Toady sitting with his computer in an underground fallout bunker as the battle rages on the surface.
"Must...finish...game...."
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 12:54:54 pm »

I imagine Toady sitting with his computer in an underground fallout bunker as the battle rages on the surface.
"Must...finish...game...."

Toady One has claimed a programmer's workshop!
Toady One mutters "DwarfFortress must have updates... features..."
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 01:46:41 pm »

You can do currency trades with anyone holding the same civ's coin. Citizens of dwarven civs don't gen with coin because they're a bunch of commies; all their cash is held as community property by the local bandits. Just knock 'em with a hammer to get it out of them.

Shops in human civs have chests that are marked as the shop's possession, but this version they're not being recognized in trade. Innkeepers never had a business bank, but I can still offer coins.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:25 am »

If you've been able to *spend* a civ's coin at the same civ's shop, I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:53 am »

I could swear I've done this early in this adventure, and in the failed adventures before it, but atm I can only clearly recall trading with individuals. I can't test it now because my computer is down. Is anyone having trouble trading with the pouch holders?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:18 am »

I've found that you can ask for currency at a shop, but only if you're also asking for at least one item. Otherwise the shopkeeper will just say something like "Yes? Did you want to buy something?"
But I haven't done a lot of SCIENCE on it.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure I bought something shortly after getting coin for the civ I'm currently travelling through, because I clearly recall being annoyed to receive change, and dropping it on the floor of the shop.

More recently I tried to trade an innkeeper his own mug and he haggled for a bit of coin with it. Who's hustling whom, now? I went ahead and paid because what else am I doing with the coin?

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:29 am »

To address the original post, I can't see any shop prices but this character has very low skills so far.  (So maybe after gaining the right skills, like in dwarf mode, the prices will be visible?)  I guess you could fudge prices by asking for too much currency and seeing what offer you get.

I'm new to adventure mode but coins seem to work at least ok.  This was with an "outcast" character who hadn't yet acquired a pouch, so just holding coins in hands.

• Sold item to merchant A for currency (using the ask for/offer currency option, bidding too high, and then accepting the offer the merchant gave me.  The amount offered didn't seem to change even when I tried to haggle)
  • Still in the barter screen, it shows "shopkeeper owes XX amount".  I can keep buying or selling items and this amount will change.
  • After closing the barter screen, it says "you get XX gold YY coins and ZZ copper YY coins" or something like that.  They'd all end up in my hands even if it was too many to hold, but if I put them down I couldn't pick them all up again.
  • It seems so far each shopkeeper uses only specific kinds of currency.  In the big town I'm in now I've found at least 5 different currencies.  If the merchant does not accept the currency, the coins will be listed as items in the trade screen.  I can trade the coins as items at a severely reduced value (wiki says 1 value point each, but I'm not sure if it's still accurate.)  If the merchant does accept the currency, the coins will not be listed in the trade screen as items, and I can offer currency by value with the ask for / offer currency option
  • So, I kept track of which merchants accepted which coins, and took the coins from merchant A to merchant B who accepts those same coins, and used them to purchase a different item.

I'm interested in the arbitrage (is that the right word?) question too.  A bunch of merchants in this town list coins of one specific currency as items for sale, yet don't accept that currency themselves.  I haven't examined this opportunity yet, but if I can buy those 15-value gold coins and 5-value silver coins for 1 value each and then use them to trade with another merchant for goods, using the full coin value, that seems like it would be very lucrative!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:49 am »

So it sounds like as long as you sell something in the trading session, you can pay for things that you buy with coins.  That's handy.  I'll have to give it a try.  Easy enough to carry around some leaves or something to initiate trade.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 12:46:28 am »

Now the question becomes, "What is the point in that?" I mean, I can see making your own home and adding in a vault for coins to trade with, but do goods cycle in Adventure mode? If I do this sort of thing and over time use the profit to buy out the local berry supply, is it going to replenish?
Pages: [1] 2