Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Foreign Weapons/Armor/Whatever Native?  (Read 2520 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make Foreign Weapons/Armor/Whatever Native?
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:01:32 am »

How would I make these things native now in 44.05? Also, does the bug still exist where Dwarves don't accurately determine what weapons they can hold in one/two hands?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Make Foreign Weapons/Armor/Whatever Native?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:49:24 pm »

Weapons are only "native" if they're listed in the parent civilization in entity_default (or your own file with [OBJECT:ENTITY] as a header.) Example:
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [SITE_CONTROLLABLE]
   [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [TRANSLATION:DWARF]
   [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
etc...

This "native" status only affects your ability to forge those weapons and for your civ's caravans to offer them in trade. Dwarves can use any weapon that is small enough for them to wield, but in vanilla DF all non-native weapons are too big.

Soldier types (axedwarf, etc.) are in turn determined by what skill your dwarves level up the most. The fort mode interface is hard-coded to track the native weapon masteries (axe, spear, sword, hammer, mace, marksdwarf, wrestle) and while it does not list or care for miscellaneous foreign masteries (throw, lash, dagger, blowgun, etc.) you can manually assign these weapons to your dwarves if they are the right size. Blowguns, for example, are small enough for Dwarves to wield - though since they lack the ability to craft blowdarts, they're useless.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:37:38 pm »

Dwarves can use any weapon that is small enough for them to wield, but in vanilla DF all non-native weapons are too big.
Scimitar isn't too big. My militia captain is happily wielding his.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »

Dwarves can use any weapon that is small enough for them to wield, but in vanilla DF all non-native weapons are too big.

Most foreign weapons, then.

Specifically, each weapon has a [MINIMUM_SIZE] and a [TWO_HANDED] value. Any creature whose size fits between those values can wield the weapon in two hands; any creature larger than the [TWO_HANDED] value can wield it with one hand.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:04:09 pm »

Most foreign weapons, then.

Specifically, each weapon has a [MINIMUM_SIZE] and a [TWO_HANDED] value. Any creature whose size fits between those values can wield the weapon in two hands; any creature larger than the [TWO_HANDED] value can wield it with one hand.
Foreign weapons dwarves can use: bows, blowguns, whips, long swords, daggers, scourges, flails, morningstars, and scimitars.

Theoretically some slightly larger than average dwarves should be able to use a pike, halberd, two-handed sword, maul, or great axe, but last I remember there was a bug where they couldn't use them if their bas size was lower. I kind of remember hearing that it got fixed though, but I'm not sure. If it was fixed then that means dwarves are capable of using literally every single weapon in the game files.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:24 pm »

Seems like no one has actually answered the question....

In order to give dwarven civilizations access to a weapon, you add the [WEAPON] token to the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] entry in entity_default.txt.

For example, the first weapon entry is:
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
If you want to add scimitars, add the following:
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCIMITAR]
You can do the same for any weapon you want to add. (Just keep in mind the tokens for long sword and large dagger are ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG and ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE, respectively, since adjectives come after nouns as a DF naming convention.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.