Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayday set - vomit color  (Read 2595 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday set - vomit color
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:01:54 am »

I've got a weird issue where the dark green color apparently gets substituted by dark blue. That results in vomit appearing blue instead of green, and I think also cloth dyed emerald has the same color. Looking at the RGB values and putting them in an online calculator, the green color seems to check out as, well, green. I'm pretty sure I had this issue years ago as well but I'm unable to remember how I fixed it, if I fixed it at all.

I played around with the RGB values for dark green and while changing them enough resulted in vomit turning green again, I noticed another issue. Namely, it now won't contrast at all with green foliage. This makes me figure that the blue vomit color was introduced was introduced intentionally, to make it contrast against a green background.

Thing is though, that blue vomit looks kind of silly. Anyone here know how to change its color to, let's say, brown or red-brown without messing with the colors of things that were green or blue originally?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday set - vomit color
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:38:31 am »

I've had this happen also, recently. Not sure what the deal is.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:41:41 pm »

It's been like that for years though. I remember it from the previous time I played the game, which was around 5-6 years ago I think.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:55:24 pm »

The game tries to choose an interface color whose RGB value most closely matches the descriptor color of the material in question - for example, if you edit data/init/colors.txt and mess with the GREEN color enough, then the game might decide that a different color is "close enough" to the 1:50:32 defined for DARK_GREEN in raw/objects/descriptor_color_standard.txt.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:03:45 am »

I'll keep that in mind. Does the game also calculate color mixing? Like when you get a tile with blood and vomit on it, it's going to be brown. Now I'm wondering if that brown is a separate value for both things in one tile, or if the game takes the RGB values of both and mixes them to create brown.

It would be nice to figure out how I can make green vomit to stand out. As of now, it looks the same as dark green grass and is thus not noticeable unless you view it via the k key. This is part of the reason why I've been able to put up with blue vomit in the Mayday set, as at least that contrasts so I know immediately where they puked.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »

I've seen dark red dwarf blood combine with white GCS ichor to make light red, so yes, there is color mixing.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:13:43 am »

Sounds good.

Anyway, this is what cave-adapted dwarves reloading outside cage traps looks like with midnight blue vomit: