Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: BEHOLD! THE FRUIT ENGINE!!! - 3.0 FRUCTOMANCY Update  (Read 35377 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: BEHOLD! THE FRUIT ENGINE!!! - 3.0 FRUCTOMANCY Update
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 09:43:01 pm »

Oh hey, also, taking suggestions about what abilities fruits should grant upon ingestion. Includes suggestions for additional fruits and their powers.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:57 am »

Oh hey, also, taking suggestions about what abilities fruits should grant upon ingestion. Includes suggestions for additional fruits and their powers.
Starfruit, which should obviously increase toughness to a ridiculous degree.

Raspberries, should drop several items, each one offering a noticeable, but short term, increase in regeneration.

Apples should scare all nearby creatures, banana should give speed bonuses, mangos should explode when thrown, Strawberries (there should be several) should give you strength for a short time, Pineapples either make you an All Powerful God, or a Pathetic Fool (50/50)

Sunberries should make you emit light, Grapes should summon Grape Men who will fight for you before dying of necrosis, and Oranges should give you a poisonous Orange Juice Spit Attack.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 01:43:57 pm »

Starfruit, which should obviously increase toughness to a ridiculous degree.

Raspberries, should drop several items, each one offering a noticeable, but short term, increase in regeneration.

Apples should scare all nearby creatures, banana should give speed bonuses, mangos should explode when thrown, Strawberries (there should be several) should give you strength for a short time, Pineapples either make you an All Powerful God, or a Pathetic Fool (50/50)

Sunberries should make you emit light, Grapes should summon Grape Men who will fight for you before dying of necrosis, and Oranges should give you a poisonous Orange Juice Spit Attack.

Starfruit, raspberries, bananas, strawberries, pineapples, and oranges are trivial to implement, but the other ones might be more difficult. There is no mechanic in the raws for objects that scare creatures (other than perhaps making you release a special gas that lowers the bravery attribute of anything it touches, dunno if that will work though). I don't think there is a way to make mangoes explode only when thrown, but perhaps you could make it so that the adventurer has to perform a reaction with them ("Uncap mango"?) in order to transform them into Live Mango Grenades, which have a low boiling point so they explode after a few ticks. The boiling mango gas could be given a variety of unfavorable symptoms (burns, blisters, bleeding) in order to imitate a real-life explosion.

I'm not entirely certain whether or not symptoms are able to make you emit light (given the vast amount of features in this game), or whether any creatures are able to emit light at all. "Summoning" interactions are not yet implemented in the game; they can only be emulated by raising corpses and then transforming them into whatever you want. So perhaps grape creatures drop not only grapes, but also the corpse of some kind of creature, and eating grapes allows you to summon grape men from those corpses for a certain amount of time.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 02:18:07 pm »

I.... think I can make a lot of that work, actually.

Creatures CAN emit light, but there isn't a way that I'm aware of to add the tag via syndrome. Would have to be transformation, which wouldn't work for these purposes. Could totally just make sunberry drops themselves emit light.

There is a syndrome tag that forces emotion, and fear is one of those. However, I recall that other experiments show that even if you crank it all the way up the effects can be underwhelming, at least in fort mode. Maybe arena/adventure mode will be different.

Not sure how to implement grape men, at least not reliably. It would involve transforming an enemy into a grape man through some manner of convoluted syndrome effect, but they would still hate you. It's unfortunately not possible to generate creatures from inanimate objects sans-DF-Hack.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:53 pm »

IIRC the emotion syndrome tag only affects a creature's stress level, not its fear or distraction level. I think creatures decide how frightened they are depending upon their bravery or some other attribute (which can be changed using syndromes) and the size and bulk of the present entity. I'm not sure whether creatures will recalculate whether or not they should be scared when their attribute changes, so I'm not sure if my method will work. Prolly needs some arena testing.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 03:37:32 pm »

Yeah I'll give it a shot. I recall people also trying to insta-drive a creature insane, and the results were not positive.

Anyway I'm probably going to do a stat-boost set of fruit, and then some that grant 12/hr power sets like darkvision or a projectile attack etc etc.

Super speed could be an effect, for instance. Oooh, or creature sense.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »

I'm taking a modding hiatus, but this is top priority once I get back into it. Looking at maybe a major job change in a very positive way (woop woop), so not much free time.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2018, 04:55:56 pm »

I was gonna suggest that you look at my grenade mod to see how to implement mangos, but apparently inhalation syndromes only work 30% of the time, so it's kinda not working right now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]