Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Badass moments in your fortresses  (Read 8976 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Badass moments in your fortresses
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »

My first ever "siege" in v40.xx came in the form of a group of bandits. Since half were packing ranged weapons I resigned the fort to its demise and assembled an adhoc militia of 5 of the bravest dwarves out of a population of 17 (or 20, I forget which, but it wasn't above 20 population, one of which was a miner and the other a woodcutter.) Armed with a sword, mace, and warhammer salvaged from the ruins of the reclaimed site and a pair of work tools, and virtually no training (save the swordsdwarf who had arrived with some and a few goblin kills from worldgen,) I sent them out to face the enemy, who had them outnumbered by 4; though granted 3 enemies were wrestlers and two were recruits, I expected the enemy bow and crossbowmen to clean house with my tiny force.

And then it happened.

A wrestler rounded the corner of the fort's overland building, and meets the untrained (but strong thanks to a full year of working with fairly solid woods as a carpenter,) macedwarf. Who delivered an immediately fatal punch to the brigand's chest, as the blow caved it in. The woodcutter dropped to his knees, overwhelmed by the sheer horror of what he just saw the macedwarf do. Two more wrestlers rounded the corner and one was set upon by the macedwarf while the other began fleeing in terror.

A mace to the head ends to second quickly, and the rest of the militia catches up, save Woodcutter McUnderstandablyHorrified. The hammerdwarf gives chase to the fleeing wrestler while everyone else charges the other bandits. Two rangers and a recruit spin right around and run away while two others fire at the dwarves, missing thier shots badly and one getting mauled by the miner, who then collapses under the horror of what she did. The sword and maced dwarves kill the few brave wrestlers and run down the one enemy melee soldier with a weapon, who turned and ran after the wrestlers died; I think he was lagging behind due to that heavy metal shield of his. From there is turned into a benny hill style chase that lasted the better part of an in-game week before all the panicked invaders were killed and tossed into the town garbage dump.

I had expected my dwarves to be gunned down and punched to death by wrestlers and marksmen, only to have them crush the bandits handily, even if there was so psychological trauma for the woodcutter and miner.

On a separate note, in a different freshly founded fort I had a small pack of children running around when a mandril raid came. The mandrills killed one child. The children killed all the mandrills (A second group showed up shortly after that I sent the militia after, so the mother of the deceased child could have some form of retribution.)

Lloyd

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:26 pm »

Once I had a squad created at the beginning of the game, at the time I didn't even ordered weapons and armor to be crafted. So I set the squad to training, and... Forgot them, along with the weapon industry.
Finally a forgotten beast (can't remember what it was, some shelled snake or whatever god forsaken creature had been crated by the RNG) awoke in the mine and crawled up to the staircase, and had to be stopped.
So I sent the militia, when I remembered I had one. One master-wrestler got there first, cause he didn't have any armor or weapons to fetch, so he encoutered the beast as what I tought as a bait or as a meat-shield for the fortress while his mates rushed down the strairs to save him.
Then, the motherf*cker straight punched the beast in the throat, and the severd parts sailed off in an arc. Then resumed his training duties...

Made him commander of the squad after that.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »

there was a flying amorphous blob made of coral, my militia couldent to anything against it because they were all hammerers and just kept chipping it. a random farmer walked up to the thing and punched it in the wing, and the part exploded into bloody gore. the farmer then beat the thing to death.

this was the first time i had ever had a megabeast attack (i think it was a megabeast and not a forgotten beast but this was years ago) and so i didnt realize that their blood caused effects, so a little while later i noticed everybodys guts were rotting out because the thing had died in a high traffic area and all my dwarves got covered in its blood.

i didnt know how to make a hospital or how to clean it up so everybody died.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 09:35:20 pm »

Stranded weaver in the caverns killed a small pack of trogs and a giant cave toad. Maimed a bit, but nothing too bad.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 10:03:30 pm »

A while back I had a woman with a baby go berserk, for... Maybe a half second? The baby she was carrying instantly one-shot her with a punch to the face the moment she went berserk.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:49 pm »

An Engraver once got his... geldables... chomped off by a Voracious Cave Crawler. He beat the crawler to death with his bare fists and then walked up fifty flights of stairs to a hospital.

In the same fort two new recruits found themselves alone against a siege force of seventy goblins. They annihilated the siege, killing nearly half of them and routing the rest. One of the recruits got her skull cracked three times by a goblin lasher and still managed to keep her brains with her.

Yet in the same fort, an unarmed cavern explorer found a hidden Forgotten Beast and charged it right away, leaping off from a spore tree to launch himself towards it. For a while it seemed he could actually win, but eventually exhaustion took its toll. After a week-long fight he inevitably succumbed but not before crippling the monster so it couldn't but lay on top his corpse. The explorer's armed and very angry friends soon found and slaughtered the beast at the same spot before taking the hero's body away for a proper burial.

It was a good fort.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:49:02 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »

This happened a very long while ago, so I don't really remember all the details. But from what I can remember, my expedition leader broke his legs and was lying crippled in a hallway. I was still new to the game at the time, so I didn't know how to set up a hospital, so he basically had to deal. And then I saw it; a troll was coming up the staircase towards him. I kind of expected him to die, and there were traps at the other side to stop the troll, so I sort of just went up a few levels to deal with something else. And then the troll came to the top of the staircase, blood coming from every pore after it got the hell beat out of it by my lame expedition leader. The troll died shortly afterwards because of it's injuries, but unfortunately so did the expedition leader.

Kirgio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 10:03:57 am »

I believe this happened in my 3rd or 4th fort I've made so far. Embarked in a woodland biome with a small brook and some mountains to the north east. Everything is going good, getting my walls built up, already training an army, just started smelting metal bars, etc. At this point I still didn't fully understand how to use militia (I didn't know how to make them attack targets yet) so I was very surprised/scared when a group of langurs attacked. Since I didn't know how to properly command my militia I built their barracks near the entrance to the fort. Being kind of panicked I decided to leave it paused and look up how to actually command military. Come back 5 minutes later feeling ready to fight off some langurs (at the time didn't realize they're not that much of a threat). Send out the wrestlers to fight them off. Everything is going good watching my little dwarves go careening across the map chasing these little devils. Notice there's only one left and is being stalked by the militia commander, after a quick second of fighting he wanders off and leaves the langur bleeding and crawling on the floor. It bled out for a minute or two before finally dying. Never really looked at the combat logs before this so I decided why not and decide to look at the report for that last battle. In simple terms here is how that fight played out:

Commander corners langur
Langur tries to attack, misses
Commander grabs langur by arm
Commander lets go, grabs langur by other body part (does this a total of ~4 times)
Commander rips off langur's lower lip
Commander gouges out langur's left eye
Commander rips off langur's left cheek
Commander punches langur in left side of face causing the skull to explode
Commander gets up, says something badass like "There is no longer a point to this revenge"
Commander walks away, leaving the langur to bleed to death

Needless to say he was the first in line for new gear once I was forging metal armor/weapons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]