Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are You excited for the new update?

Yes
YES!
OH HELL YEAH!!!
Cheese

Author Topic: Interest Check: New Version Succession Fort  (Read 6835 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Interest Check: New Version Succession Fort
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:15:23 pm »

This thread is just an interest check for a new succession fort once the new version comes out. With whole new mechanics being the highlight of this release, it'll allow for whole new dimensions of role playing.

To be clear, I will start a succession fort once the new release is out. I just want to see if any of you have any ideas for embark locations or RP elements or even a few mods to spice it up even more. Just say what you think
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: New Version Succession Fort
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »

I for sure would like to see another simple succession fort... Basically dwarf fortress with no mods, normal embark location, no special rules.
Edit: why isn't cheese an option in the poll... Cheese has to be an option!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:15:57 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:35:56 pm »

I for sure would like to see another simple succession fort... Basically dwarf fortress with no mods, normal embark location, no special rules.

Yes, I do agree with the no special rules part. No mods... will just see how the update goes.

My bad, will fix

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »

I, for one, would definitely sign up for this.  I must say, however, that I'll direly miss the DT-like labour grid from dfhack.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »

There's going to be a shitton of simple vanilla SFs as soon as the new release opens though, so its anyone's guess which one will attract the most players.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 02:32:00 am »

yay nice.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:24 am »

I'd be interested in that as well. Never played in a community game before, but would like to give it a go. My apologies in advance for ruining the fort beyond hope.

scottsm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 03:39:02 am »

Totally interested.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:39 am »

Sign me right up.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:10 am »

This isn't the fort page, I will start a new thread, but it is nice to see so many of you interested.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »

Idea: Succession fortress "Capture the flag".
x2 "teams" (each one a different civ, to prevent migrant crossover, +1 civ who are the "Temple builders".)
Setup: Using a neutral civ, Game host makes nine 3x3 embarks somewhere in the world map. On each embark, he builds a "Temple", makes it a temple zone, places a statue in the temple, then retires the site.  (These embarks should be scattered across the world, in really inhospitable places).  After retiring the last Temple, use legends mode to export a landscape map minus the civs and post it to the forum so teams are blind to each other's starting placement as well as where the Temple sites are.

Each team then chooses an embark spot somewhere on the the world map, and PM's its location to the game host, who sets up a 3x3 embark on that spot for that civ then retires them. Each team will get a different civ to prevent migrant cross-over, also, I wouldn't bring any drinks because those go away every time a site is retired.)

Teams then take turns playing for one in-game year building up their respective fortresses, making sure to set up a "Treasure Vault" area to store the "flag" once its captured, retiring the fortress each time before passing the save to the opposite team.

Game play:
Each team creates then retires seven adventurers at their respective forts: these are playing pieces.  Alternating team members unretire one of their own playing pieces and use them in-game until sunset of that day before retiring them once again.  If a playing piece is killed, that team just has one fewer playing pieces.  The goal is to grab the statue from the one of the temples (first one at a temple to do so, gains a curse from "defiling the temple"), and get it to their team's Treasure Vault.  Each playing piece may only by moved until sunset, when they must be retired somewhere.  After that, play returns to the opposing team who gets to move one of their playing pieces until sunset when they retire it or "give in to starvation", and so on until every person on each team has had a chance to move a playing piece. (Adventure mode even in a large world lets you cross from pole to pole in a week or two.  Limiting adventurers to one in-game daylight period allows teams to strategically move their playing pieces to counter opponent's moves.)

Points are tallied up at the end of each round:

+1pt per team's surviving playing piece
+10pts per Temple statue in a Team's Treasure vault

Game ends when either one team's playing pieces are all dead or all the statues are in the Treasure Vaults.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:40:51 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »

... that seems like a lot of work and will drive new people away.

Will consider it for a later fort tho

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 11:22:19 am »

I would be totally down for this. Not sure if I could do a full year as an overseer, thanks to the fact that I'm frenetically busy all the time - but I absolutely want to be dwarfed and considered for backup overlording. Maybe even a full turn. Mmmmmmehhbe.

Also, very down with a vanilla fort, straight up out-of-the-box approach.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."