Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Functional noses, gills & alternative breathing  (Read 690 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Functional noses, gills & alternative breathing
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:43 am »

In relation to 0010311: All creatures rely on their mouths - drown/suffocate while only [APERTURE] breathing orifice is occupied. it is sort of obvious that there is only 1 external breathing hole more or less commonly shared between all creatures. This presents problems when the mouth is actually blocked, since if you know the uncomfortable feeling of holding your breath while pinching your nose, a lot of pressure builds up as you begin to suffocate, meanwhile you can close your mouth and breathe at the same time, DF creatures dont have this luxury.

Noses - Work a lot like mouths, things can go up your nose but importantly *most* reagents enter & leave the mouth, on creatures with them (some creatures like dogs may have a nose breathing preference) it allows them to passively recover air slightly faster even while the mouth is full. Suffocation is not impossible, and relative size of the nose can determine how much air they take in relative to the mouth, often listed as [small] on the body plans.

Gills - A fish's equivalent to a nose, outside of the mouth and often on the creatures body/head/neck, they are 'water detectors' that give immediate passive breathing when submerged in water recomputing suffocation health, it allows them to convert water into breathable air for their lungs, this partially would help with computing when a creature has stopped air-drowning such as being placed in a aquarium.

Breathing through the skin - A alternative but present on some creatures like amphibians like frogs or creatures that don't have mouths or noses without tags exclaiming otherwise, however it makes them very vunerable to air/dust contaminants they aren't immune to, could be adapted on creatures like cave blobs.

Blowholes/Cartilage-less noses - A special exception for whales and particular monsters, where the nose becomes directly unseperable but inset on the face, head or the body, skeletons for instance have no requirement to breathe but shouldn't have noses in the first place consistently.

Having a nose would allow you to compute faster when the creature breathes compared to creatures without noses undergoing suffocation health states. A comparable difference between the two's survival in different circumstances. Damaging or severing the nose affects your ability to breath co-dependently.

Yes dwarves literally are mouth breathers.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:22:47 am by FantasticDorf »

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Re: Functional noses, gills & alternative breathing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »

Wonderful idea! I never realized that there were no noses, and if they exist then I can finally break one that belongs to an elf!
No amount of mods is too much

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:11:14 pm »

The noses already exist, they allow you to 'smell' but the main issue i based my suggestion around is that lacking additional effect you can't breathe through your nose.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:41:00 am »

The throat already functions as a secondary breathing organ.

Seems to me that the best way of implementing this sort of thing realistically wouls be to make breathing organs work similar to nerves.  Body parts could have a tag that designates them as a breath intake or passageway; a creature must have a clear path between at least one breath intake and the lungs to avoid suffocation.

These organs could be targeted by wrestlers; blocking both the mouth and nose would be similar to strangling the throat.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:53 am »

Hi.

My issue report was disproven, but working towards a system like you have said IndigoFenix (nerves & relevant body parts etc) is still a goal of this suggestion, you've got some pretty detailed ideas there.