Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So some heavy shit just went down and the outpost liasion is dead  (Read 692 times)

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So some heavy shit just went down and the outpost liasion is dead
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:47 pm »

Now the caravan won't leave. Not sure what the problem is.

Basically I got attacked by a werehorse. Slaughtered three dwarves and seriously injured a fourth before the caravan guards cut it down. I knew the fourth was bit and had to be quarantined, but I underestimated the amount of time I had before she would turn. Before I new it she was in my temple swinging around the outpost liaison by his toes and biting him in the head. It took a hell of a long time to bring her down, and in the end I had to execute 4 more dwarves including the liaison. He met a quick death; one of my squads beheaded him and now he's in a mudstone coffin.

I think while the caravan guards were washing blood off themselves in the river one of them got stuck under the ice and drowned. Found his body the following spring.

It's now summer and the caravan is still here, either waiting for the liasion, the drowned guard, or both. Will they ever leave or are the permanently stuck?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So some heavy shit just went down and the outpost liasion is dead
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:42:28 am »

Check if they have an accessible path out. They'll leave with or without the liaison.

What I would be worried about is your executing the liaison with one of your own dwarves. Your liaison is from the same civ as your dwarves, so that could lead to loyalty cascade problems down the line.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:50:59 am »

The way this is going, this fort won't be around too much longer.

The caravan's animals started to starve so I butchered them. My dwarves also seemed to help themselves to some of their stuff? So I just pretended that the caravan was so overcome with grief that they just gave up on life and left all their goods behind...as in a deconstructed the Depot.

Another caravan is now pulling in, hopefully they leave when they're supposed to.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:29:30 am »

Caravan animals (or other members) don't eat and so won't starve, so I assume you mean trade goods animals (i.e. ones in cages) started to starve. If that is the case they are no longer considered to be the property of the caravan, and that presumably goes for everything else they brought.
However, when the scuttle their goods they SHOULD leave if they can (i.e. if there's a path through which they can leave), but there are lots of bugs in the caravan area.
If a new caravan arrives, you're probably not suffering from one of the caravan blocking bugs, though, and I don't see why the fortress would be falling just because of this (heavy) setback. Migrants ought to arrive to restock your pool of dorfs, and defenses can be improved.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:19 am »

Trade wagons, pack animals, and merchants are "linked" to some extent, and if one component is stuck, they will stop moving.

Example one: An elf with a pack animal became stuck when he was standing on ice and his pack animal was standing on land, just as the ice melted. The elf didn't fall into the water, he just stopped moving while standing on water. I built a floor underneath him and he started moving again.

Example two: A dwarf trade wagon was "dodging" shallow water that was flowing in the tunnel and one side of the wagon became stuck in a wall, and the wagon only began moving once the wall was mined out.

Check for anything that might be hanging a linked unit in either of those ways.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:17:42 pm »

First try deconstructing the trade depot. That can help fix stuck merchants. They won't be happy about it but they will leave the map.

If that doesn't work and you have dfhack, use the command "fix/stuck-merchants".