Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami  (Read 42675 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2018, 08:38:35 pm »

Decided to try this again now that it's had some time to develop, when it came out it felt really thin and easy.  Seems a lot better now, actually having some tense moments on big ships.

Also found out you can get heirs from other players on your friends list.  I got one of Jackrabbit's heirlooms, a rechargeable sidewinder called "Nightcrawler's Suicide Special."  The character also started with a short blade and ex-glitcher, which is pretty appropriate.  I'm having fun being a teleporting ninja.
Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2018, 08:59:48 pm »

Current daily:  Avoid hurting people - with Technophobe (gadgets will break EVERY 50% of the time).
And of course there are Defenders on the second stage.  Yeah, I'm losing a lot of style points tonight.

Shaky, too, but who uses guns?

Edit:  Yeah, that's about right.
Came back and managed to juke the target away from a Defender - losing a Slipstream, Swapper, and Sidwinder after one use each.
1/8 chance of them all failing, but that's what you have to assume.

Ugh, technophobe is the WORST.  Defenders, too.
For that matter, Jammers when there's no source of long range hacking or even crashing?  Kinda bad!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:11:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2018, 04:45:31 pm »

New patch introduces:

• Easier daily challenges on Sundays.
  • Finding unique items is a bit easier now, and you can keep track of which ones you do and don't have.
  • If you have the clauses or vows, you can now pick up guards you've put into space.
  • A few fixes here and there.
  • Also it's space winter now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2018, 06:43:26 pm »

• If you have the clauses or vows, you can now pick up guards you've put into space.

YES WOO YEAH BEST PATCH EVER
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2018, 10:07:18 pm »

Agreed, very welcome change! Almost a shame it's only with clauses but still.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2018, 01:32:07 am »

I should also mention Technophobe is no longer luck-based, it now merely prevents gadgets from recharging or self-charging.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2019, 10:26:41 am »

Am I late to the party?

Every time I read about the game, I learn something new.

First, I learned you can throw things, which really should have been part of the tutorial. I used that to 1) Throw a sword at a door right in front of me, stabbing myself then 2) Hit a guard with a thrown wrench while simultaneously rushing the guard next to him. I've never successfully repeated this awesome-looking stunt.

I also learned windows are breakable, and people can be knocked through them. I've yet to use this, because I suck at piloting. The Angel will probably make it easy enough to try it, assuming thrown weapons break windows (and are probably lost).

Just today, I learned that you can just walk up to a turret and turn it off. I've been waiting ages for them to turn the correct direction so I can walk around them.

One thing I learned on my own is the trait that makes you drop a concussion grenade is terrible for taking out guards (they shoot you most of the time, so aren't in range of a grenade), but you can pause and teleport the grenade to your inventory.

Any other noob advice?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2019, 10:14:17 pm »

Uh... I'm fairly certain throwing was part of the tutorial, actually. After retiring Sader Fiasco, you're directed to start a new character and then "Practice being awesome" by then walking over to the simulator and activating it. In there, the game will teach you to throw things.

Piloting will eventually make sense. The trick is to manage your acceleration and braking - remember that you'll only match speed with your target rather than coming to a full stop.

There are some hints that tell you about things like switching off turrets.

Other advice?

Breach grenades are capable of taking out literally anyone - they cause parts of a ship to be destroyed entirely.

You can stop a ship by taking out its engines rather than removing the captain.

Throwing non-weapon items can prove useful. For instance, traps can be thrown, teleported back to your inventory, and then activated all without pausing, causing the trap to slide along the ground in the same direction that you threw it in - letting you use traps to crash/strip/teleport guards at range.

If you find all the missions too difficult, you can try heading to another station and checking their mission list.

You have no penalities for holding things in your Stash other than causing the list to inflate rapidly, so if you feel the need, go ahead and set every single gun and sword your foes drop to be sent to the stash.

You can get a LOT of grenades by shooting a restockable grenade launcher, picking up the grenades the moment they're fired (this way you can pick them up without having to wait for the item teleporter cooldown) and then dropping them. Return to the station and repeat until you have all the grenades you need. You can do this with any kind of grenade as long as it hasn't yet exploded (so if you're going to try the grenade stocking trick with an impact grenade launcher, don't aim at a wall.

Check the campaign/galaxy map (you know, for liberations?) to see what will eventually lead you to what else. Armor-piercing weapons and higher-capacity acid and crash traps tend to be quite useful.

Not sure what other tips to provide, but I'll do my best to tell you any more.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 04, 2019, 11:59:40 pm »

You can stop a ship by taking out its engines rather than removing the captain.

Throwing non-weapon items can prove useful. For instance, traps can be thrown, teleported back to your inventory, and then activated all without pausing, causing the trap to slide along the ground in the same direction that you threw it in - letting you use traps to crash/strip/teleport guards at range.
...Huh, what a weird trap trick!  It's very useful for sure, but I wonder if it's a... glitch :P
Seriously though, I gave it a try and it's as useful as it sounds.  Weird though!  I was hoping traps just automatically deployed when thrown (it never occurred to me to throw one).

I didn't think of sabotaging engines either, heh.  Sounds like a good counter for ships with autopilot!

Your advice is pretty comprehensive.  I guess I'd add that throwing really is vital.  The lowly wrench can knock out a group of 3 people so safely it becomes routine:  Smack one, immediately throw into the second.  Once the second is down, recall the wrench and throw it at the third.
If there's a fourth, unfortunately the teleporter has its brief cooldown.  But there's usually time to throw again, if you're careful.
All that applies to swords as well, if you're some kind of monster :P
(daisho, AKA long blade with short blade, is a brutal combo.  Throwing is still king, but using the long-blade's lunge and the short-blade's rapid attacks is, well, fun)

The knockback from concussion hammers loves to send people out windows, or at least down hallways.  Can be quite inconvenient.

Offworld Security only use stun weapons, and for some reason they forgo armor.  This makes them by far the easiest faction to face, even if they do tend to use shields a lot.  They are not necessarily "good guys", but killing them feels... unnecessary.  That's not really a tip though, just a habit I formed :P

Contractors are serious business.  Defenders in particular are total BS: They must be crashed *and neutralized* before they stop granting their impenetrable shielding to allies.  The others are much more manageable, and can be a lot of fun to Subvert.  Extreme range subverters may be necessary.

You can dodge bullets.  With a slipstream, you can dodge the Tracker's bullets.  Hell, with a slipstream you can do almost anything you want.  It's almost like a better stealth shield, which is almost like a better emergency shield.

The classiest way to exfil a target is to throw them through a window.  Get a running start before the throw.

Assassination missions can be completed without killing.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2019, 05:15:41 am »

When people talk about the ship's engines, that means the rooms with little fuel barrels in the middle of them. If you shoot one of those with bullets, the barrel will start glowing and a moment later explode, taking out the whole room. They can also can be set off by guards' bullets, which can lead to unexpected fun. If every engine on a ship is destroyed, it can't move, which means it can't fly back to station and also its impossible for you to hijack it.

Using a subverter on a locked door will unlock that door, which is one way around needing a key. Extreme range key cloners can be pretty cheesy; just use one to clone a level 4 or whatever key from the other side of the ship and sometimes you can just go around all the guards.

Assassination missions can be completed without killing.

Not without the target dying, though~
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:18:29 am by Egan_BW »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2019, 08:43:45 am »

I mean, technically we don't know...  But yeah you're right >:

Keycards can be "picked" from guards if you're near them.  You can spam E or use the pause menu, like disabling turrets.  This is particularly useful if they have troublesome shields and you have stealthy items, though it's quite fun to yoink stuff from them through simple stealth.  Or simply barging through a room and "mugging" them on the way out, dodging their eventual reaction fire.

Breacher bombs kill everything, but breaking windows is almost as effective.  If you're otherwise completely stuck, somehow managing to break a window next to that shielded-armored target is basically a win.

Enemies will absolutely shoot each other.  Unfortunately as a nigh-omniscient nigh-omnipotent demigod, you are responsible for such deaths.  This even includes a teleporter-guy hearing a window shatter and deciding "HURR I SHOULD CHECK THAT OUT" and spacing themself.
I love Bloodless missions but they're partially about manipulating the enemy to help them survive.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:44 am »

Didn't one of the updates let you save spaced enemies in bloodless missions?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2019, 09:51:52 am »

Contractors are serious business.  Defenders in particular are total BS: They must be crashed *and neutralized* before they stop granting their impenetrable shielding to allies.  The others are much more manageable, and can be a lot of fun to Subvert.  Extreme range subverters may be necessary.

Given enough time, I can handle a defender, or a predator, or tracker, or whatever. Given enough time, a Jammer will reduce my ability to handle even normal guards so much that I can't win. Defenders being a 2-step process to defeat isn't so bad. Just isolate them. Jammers (capital J) leave behind the jammers in areas that are well-patrolled, and I can't easily get in because glitchers are gadgets. The long-range self-charging crashbeam I had on my last character defeated them single-handedly, though.

You can dodge bullets.  With a slipstream, you can dodge the Tracker's bullets.  Hell, with a slipstream you can do almost anything you want.  It's almost like a better stealth shield, which is almost like a better emergency shield.

Do slipstreams take a second to warm up or something? I used one, went slightly faster, and got shot to death as soon as I went through a door to steal a keycard. I'm pretty sure I used it, because my movement speed was around double.

The classiest way to exfil a target is to throw them through a window.  Get a running start before the throw.

I got this to work last night. Good times. Although I just teleported a gun to my hand and shot out the window from a safe distance.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:52 am »

Slipstream should activate as soon as you press the button, you can see how long it'll last as a "cooldown" bar over the item in the upper left. It makes you move much faster, but it also makes time slow down so you'll only really see yourself moving faster as it wears off, when the slow-motion is gone but you still have your momentum.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2019, 10:46:41 am »

Didn't realise he had released; Read his blog posts on ship generation ages ago. Still fumbling the controls at the moment, but having a good time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23