Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami  (Read 42695 times)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2020, 05:07:03 am »

Well, uh, since there is no other thread about this I figured I'll post here.

Is it even possible to aim the Brick these days? It's a miracle if I even hit the ship, let alone breach even somewhat close to my target.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:00 am »

You can pull it out but its not very useful.

Honestly I think that if you´re deadset on killing someone remotedly you´re better off hijacking another ship and blasting them.

Best pod by far is the archangel. You´re effectively immortal with that.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2020, 06:36:38 am »

But it now only decreases the decrease in reaction time once you get shot and thrown out the ship,  not removing it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2020, 07:12:24 am »

It's still lovely and is generally helpful, particularly if you're trying to be bloodless but people find their way out a window (stupid glitch-dashers).  The glitch pod is interesting but mostly seems to shave off a second or two of approach... no, wait, I just realized it also does the Sovereign Coldfire's job but better!  It's just easy to forget since the titular Heat Signature sensors are so rare.  I wish they showed up more outside of high-glory runs.

I still need to figure out the Brick.  Being able to breach a ship at an arbitrary point sounds amazing, but aiming it is so difficult and it's inherently bad for bloodless attempts.

furthermore, defenders delenda est
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2020, 08:50:52 am »

The only luck I've had with the brick is knocking chunks off of the enemy ship to make the approach shorter. Just keep ramming the thin part until something falls off. It's still a huge pain, and probably not worth it.

Is the archangel one the one that counts as a catch if you're nearby? That's great, especially for extracting someone through a window.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 13, 2020, 10:25:45 am »

You should be able to dock with the hole you just made, I think?  Though you're delayed by the pod-damage minigame and I assume it triggers a ship alarm.

And yeah the angel pod lets you draw people in from a significant range with a buttonpress, it's very handy (and a lifesaver~).  Even now that you still lose some blood with it.  It's not the hugest deal, but the other pods are of questionable value.  Brick seems like the real gamechanger, but situationally.

She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2020, 10:31:02 am »

Can someone tell me the pros-and-cons of lethal vs non-lethal? I mean, not every mission is bloodless clause, right?

The only thing I've noticed is that wrenches and hammers are loud and have lots of knockback, while the two swords are the complete opposite. Guns don't have much difference since in both types you shoot the target and he is disabled.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2020, 11:07:44 am »

Can someone tell me the pros-and-cons of lethal vs non-lethal? I mean, not every mission is bloodless clause, right?

The only thing I've noticed is that wrenches and hammers are loud and have lots of knockback, while the two swords are the complete opposite. Guns don't have much difference since in both types you shoot the target and he is disabled.

With the exception of the sledgehammer that throws people halfway across the ship, I never noticed much difference between a sword and a wrench. Unless you're on one of the missions with limited inventory (which really need to be more common), weapon speed doesn't really matter. The swords can't be used on bloodless missions, and cost slightly more. Slightly easier than switching out weapons constantly, though, and some have a rush attack that's very useful.

Yeah. That's why I always try to carry a rechargeable (or self charging!) glitch trap.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2020, 11:26:24 am »

The biggest problem with going non-lethal is that it sometimes means you can't use the weapon drops in a mission. 
Bloodless against Sovereign basically means Bring Your Own Weapons.

Its easier to pull off a kill when you're fighting a non-lethal faction ala Offworld Security.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2020, 11:34:31 am »

Yeah. That's why I always try to carry a rechargeable (or self charging!) glitch trap.
More satisfying to crashbeam them and then wrenchtothehead, though
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2020, 12:03:27 pm »

The main benefit I've seen to going lethal is that armor-piercing stun weapons are really rare, while you can unlock armor-piercing swords pretty fast (plus grenades, which IIRC beat armor but not shields). 

Although there's a certain fun in flinging armored enemies out of your way with the concussion hammer - shooting or bashing them stuns them for at least half a second.  That includes hitting them with a wrench, then throwing the wrench after them as you scurry off, such that it hits them again as they recover.  Then you tele-retrieve the wrench, leaving them confused... 

They won't actually sound the alarm for being hit by something!  They have to CLEARLY see an intruder, see a body, or hear a gunshot/explosion.  maybe you were just a space bat, not worth filing a report...  This is also why stealth devices are really great, and slipstreams are so amazing that they hardly ever spawn on daily challenges (look out for jammer doors though).

Going bloodless mostly just nets you those contracts, though it's nice not to worry about shooting fuel tanks or my abduction target by accident.  In return you give up some tools.  Of course I still use those tools plenty in the daily challenges and defector missions, which are all about challenging one's preferred playstyle~

furthermore, defenders delenda est  They're not faaaair!  Crashing them should disable their ability, or at least subverting!  Stop challenging my preferred playstyle dammit  :P
They make me use more glitching, but they're so hard to isolate from their packs...  Avoiding is often easier than neutralizing, whereas every other contractor gets a hammer.  Particularly trackers, but even uncrashed predators when I have a long enough hallway~
Bouncing hammers into trackers has got to be one of my favorite things in the game, hehe.  They went from requiring equipment to mostly harmless when I figured that out.  (Also, they'll try to shoot through the crew like everyone else, and that's soooo annoying on bloodless/pacifist missions.  Can save your life though.)
She/they

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 14, 2020, 09:01:35 am »

Honestly, Defenders are the only real challenge.  Everything else is easy in comparison.  Defenders + Jammers really suck.

I usually kill/concuss the defenders whenever I can, because once they're down the ship is mine.

Most guns are silenced.  Those which aren't are actually a godsend, as they draw crew to you.  Yes, please investigate those gunshots that you heard on the other side of that door.  Pay no attention to that glowing floormat when you enter the room.  Space is really nice this time of year anyways. (glitch trap)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 14, 2020, 09:11:54 am »

Huh, really? For some reason it always appeared to me that if someone hears the gunshot they just pretty much instantly sound the alarm

Also tracker rifles are 100% non-silenced. They are pretty much the most underwhelming contractors.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 14, 2020, 05:01:39 pm »

Honestly, Defenders are the only real challenge. 

And trackers, unless you have the right equipment. Defenders put up more of a fight once you've "disabled" them, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 15, 2020, 09:04:25 pm »

Honestly, Defenders are the only real challenge. 

And trackers, unless you have the right equipment. Defenders put up more of a fight once you've "disabled" them, though.

I rate Defenders a lot higher than Trackers, since there are far more tools to eliminate the threat of a Tracker, plus Trackers need line of sight to be a threat.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23