Author Topic: e c o  (Read 3071 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
e c o
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »

Welcome to the third attempt of eco. The last two tries were a learning experience for me in understanding the expectations of what this is. However I felt the only way to communicate a revised version of the instructions was to make a new thread. So once again this should be the final time. And I think this time it will work cross my fingers knock on wood smack a baby's bottom.

Rules
  • There can be only one token in each hexagon space, thus a token cannot enter an occupied space.
  • The game ends when there is one token on each hexagons space, and the formation is deemed stable by me.
  • Each player can spawn one token in a random space, if all your tokens are destroyed, then you can create a new token.
  • You do not control a token directly, you program it with 'habits', then release it into the game.
  • The token will try to perform the highest habit you have told it to do and then if it can't it will try to preform the next highest and so on in your list.
  • Each habit has a energy cost. The more complex, complexly worded, powerful, and more total habits known, the higher the cost.
  • Tasks can be things like: copying, moving, eating another token, suicide, modifying habits, and variations to these such as the distance or number of times it does it or quantity it is done at the same time. These are examples and similarly minded additional habits may be allowed.
  • A token gets energy over time and/or by eating other tokens.
  • A token will be named in the order it is added into the game, for example the first one will be called A the next will be called B the 27th to be added will be called AA, then AB.
  • Your token can reference a pre-existing token by name, and itself. Refer to yourself as 'self'. You can also reference tokens that have not been made yet however you will not know which token will be assigned a certain name.
  • Your token will share the exact name with all of its copies.
  • If your instructions are too vague to perform it will not do them. Consider using the phrase 'randomly select' when the answer could be more than one. Otherwise it will simply skip performing the habit.

To join simply post your list of habits for your token. Remember that it will try to perform the habits in order. It will start at the top of the list only when it finishes trying to do the last one. If it doesn't have enough energy yet it will try to preform the next habit.

Try something simple and see how it works!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:00:42 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: e c o
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:54:44 pm »

Glossary

No other names for these terms will be accepted.

Self: the token is talking about itself. (If you reference it by its' alphabetical name it will also consider any of its' copies.)

Space: the token is talking about a hexigon on the map.

Adjacent: a space that is near the token itself, or near what is talking about.

Eat: when a token destroys another one and gains energy.

Copy: when a token is being duplicated.

Suicide: when a token self terminates.

Token Names: only the aphabetical name can be used to reference them.

Clone: referencing a copy of you.

How habit energy cost is determined:

Total Habits * 1000
Habit's Total Commands * 2000

Command Bonuses:
-50 - Brevity. I'm impressed.
-50 - Specialized. Has a reference to a named token that isnt a clone.

Command Maluses:
+500 - Rigor. RNG draw potentially higher than 6.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:54:01 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:04:18 pm »

I create the Solar Fungus.
Behavior:
1. Eat light
2. Create a copy on a random adjacent tile

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »

(this version has no mention of light)
Awesome With Autism

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:29 pm »

So the only thing to eat are other tokens?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »

You also get energy over time.
Awesome With Autism

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »

I got ninja'd twice while typing this. :P

In that case, I present:
Creature A (aka Nutrient Eater v1.0)
2. Place copy in adjacent space.

EDIT: Oh wait, didn't see newest post --  I'd actually like to suggest that each tile has certain amount of ambient nutrients in it, and that creatures have to specifically absorb it from their surroundings. This'll introduce more gameplay depth because you could decide later on that certain areas of the environment have more nutrients than others, requiring people to design more complex tokens.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:32:57 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 01:13:28 pm »

I got ninja'd twice while typing this. :P

In that case, I present:
Creature A (aka Nutrient Eater v1.0)
1. Absorb nutrients from surroundings.
2. Split into offspring. (That is, create new organism in random adjacent tile, giving it half of original creature's stored nutrients.)

Arlight, but use the games terminology. Instead of absorb/nutrients/organism/surroundings say eat or copy or other token or adjacent spaces.

Refer to yourself as 'self'.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:17:10 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:07 pm »

I create the Hunter.
Behaviors:
1. Randomly select an adjacent space with another token in it, eat that token.
2. Move to a random empty adjacent space.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:18:51 pm »

I create the Hunter.
Behaviors:
1. Randomly select an adjacent space with another token in it, eat that token.
2. Move to a random empty adjacent space.

'A' approved, I'll wait for 2 more. Feel free to reference token 'A'.
Awesome With Autism

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:22:17 pm »

Also, the game board seems a little cramped... as soon as several tokens have been placed and reproduced, there won't be any space for new tokens. Perhaps make it bigger? Sorry for irking you with suggestions, but I just think this would make the game better.... you aren't obligated to enact any of my propositions.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:23:37 pm »

EDIT: Oh wait, didn't see newest post --  I'd actually like to suggest that each tile has certain amount of ambient nutrients in it, and that creatures have to specifically absorb it from their surroundings. This'll introduce more gameplay depth because you could decide later on that certain areas of the environment have more nutrients than others, requiring people to design more complex tokens.

No. But thank you for suggesting it. :-)
From a hosting perspective this game is already quite complicated enough I am not interested in adding new features at this time. There are already infinite possibilities.

Also, the game board seems a little cramped... as soon as several tokens have been placed and reproduced, there won't be any space for new tokens. Perhaps make it bigger? Sorry for irking you with suggestions, but I just think this would make the game better.... you aren't obligated to enact any of my propositions.

Filling up the board is the goal. And I will be making calculations myself so, no bigger board(maybe a smaller one).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:30:36 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »

I have another token to introduce.  :D

Meta Hunter
1. If Hunter present in any adjacent space, eat Hunter and place copy in random adjacent space.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:32:17 pm by bloop_bleep »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »

I assign token names based on the order I approve them. Yours would be B.
Awesome With Autism

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »

Though mine would probably only be accepted if Hunter is accepted, so wouldn't Hunter be B and Meta Hunter be C?
Pages: [1] 2 3