Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

Author Topic: The Opinionated Bastards: a BattleTech/MekHQ Mercenary Campaign (Dec. 30, 3053)  (Read 85463 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I kinda like the second option for lances. More flexible, and generally if we need both Assaults we can probably bring in both heavier lances anyway.

Names definitely need some work, though. Bear's getting all the credit! I'd say name the first lance Drake's Destroyers. Go with the theme of naming started with the Bruisers.

As for contracts...that's a tough one. I suppose that depends a good bit on what our goal as a company is. The FedCom long term contract is probably a fairly safe way to just build up cash over the long term, but won't get us a whole lot of clan tech options (other than whatever scraps show up on the market). A long-term contract with FRR would give us lots of opportunity to get clan tech, but also plenty of opportunities to get ground down pretty badly in the process. It's higher risk but higher reward, in my opinion.

RP-wise, we also don't really know that much about the Clans yet or what fighting them is like.

I'm inclined to say we go take the short-term mission with the FRR. Go get a taste of fighting the clans and hopefully some good clan salvage out of it and make a more long term decision after that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could also field reinforced lances of 5 or 6 Mechs and cut the number of lances to 3.
Against the clans you'll probably have to think about some (enemy) deployment changes, because the RNG will happily send 4 stars of the same and higher weight categories against one lance.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

I think it was earlier in this thread that someone recommended matching battle values in the lobby, to simulate the Clanners bidding down; I think I'm going to do that, unless there's a better method.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was my suggestion on how to handle it. It takes a bit of experience to figure out how to dial it into an appropriate challenge, but it balances that the AI can’t fight with the clan rules that were meant to ‘balance’ their OP gear.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I definitely like the idea of taking on the clans for some extra challenge sometime soon. Would our resident Clan defector have at this point shed some details on his former brothers-in-arms?

I suppose timeline wise, we're in the year of peace and the major houses are preparing for the next offensive. A Fed-Com (Or FRR) contract might prove to be quite interesting.

mrkilla22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

I will take:
Pvt. Abdul-Hafiz "Pepper" Popalzi - Archer ARC-2K

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Hi!

I will take:
Pvt. Abdul-Hafiz "Pepper" Popalzi - Archer ARC-2K

Noted and recorded. Welcome to the Bastards!

I'm probably not going to get the post done until late tomorrow, if there are no battles, or as late as Monday or Tuesday, if there are. It's been an uncommonly busy week, and I've had a very small amount of gaming time.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Since Last Time

The Opinionated Bastards pack up and ship out, leaving Piedmont for the Free Rasalhague Republic world of Stanzach.

In transit, we get word from the Free Rasalhague Republic intelligence liaison that the Clans have restarted their attacks, and that Stanzach is nearly overrun. They redirect us to Gunzburg instead, and even that isn't looking like a particularly tenable position when we arrive on December 9.

Clan Wolf has advanced as far as Hainfeld and Wheel down to the galactic southwest; Clan Ghost Bear is as far as Alshain on the other flank.

We barely manage to land and get unpacked before reports reach us that Clan Wolf has landed on the planet and already overrun the capital. Provided we can survive until Christmas and are willing to fight the remainder of our contract elsewhere, the Free Rasalhague Republic has promised to send a DropShip to evacuate us. It's a fair deal; we get a free ride back to the front line and keep the generous terms of the contract, and the Republic gets access to four lances of heavyweight mechs with veteran pilots.

First, though, we have to survive...

The Action of December 21, 3051

While the yet-unnamed Second Lance (Rook and company) is patrolling a wooded valley along the edge of our area of responsibility along with our liaison (who drives a Shadow Hawk), they stumble into the first Clan units. There are only four mechs; either a light star or a previously-damaged one. They didn't call us up to offer a challenge, so presumably they bid for the right to engage us. Happily, Drake's Destroyers are also deployed nearby, and will be able to join us in a few rounds.

The map is large and heavily forested, which plays to our advantage. Lots of cover means lots of opportunity to stay out of sight of the heavier Clan units until they get to very short range, where punches and kicks tend to negate their advantages in range, heat management, firepower, and speed.

Round 1

We deploy behind heavy woods in the middle of the map, where the trees will screen us from enemy fire to a degree. My goal here is to keep the enemy at a distance and shooting ineffectually until First Lance arrives, at which point we can hopefully overwhelm the Clanners. Their fault for attacking without sufficient reconnaissance.

More Clanners offscreen to the south. The red hexes are the jamming field from the enemy Loki.

Despite the briefings we've received, it's still a little unnerving how much weapons fire comes from just four Clan mechs. Happily, they miss through the trees. Rook lands a few missiles on a light mech running through the trees, and takes a few shots from some kind of cluster-firing autocannon in response.

Round 2

Jockeying for position all around. Rook and Wizard have a decent chance of some hits on a heavy mech our helpful liaison informs us is called a Thor.

Rook and Wizard both hit, and are looking rather satisfied with themselves, when The Thor fires back. An AC/20 shell and a large laser tear into the Stalker's right arm, slicing it off. To make matters worse, the Stalker falls, and Rook falls again trying to get back up. The Stalker is looking decidedly less healthy. (n.b. to make this series of events happen, Rook rolled 3 on 2d6 three times in a row, which has a probability of about one in five thousand. Maybe the Flashman was lucky.)

Round 3

Rook finally manages to get her Stalker on its feet, and runs it into a dead-end gully where it's largely safe from enemy fire. Unfortunately, the enemy light mech (a Fenris, says the liaison, and a medium mech in weight despite its speed) has a shot. The rest of the lance can bring some weapons to bear on it, at least, although none has a very good chance to hit.

Round 4

The Fenris remains in the backfield, but doesn't score any further crippling hits on the Stalker. Rook clips the enemy Thor in the head, but not enough to knock out its pilot.

Wizard and the liaison officer's Shadow Hawk surround the enemy Fenris and both land kicks; it isn't enough to knock it out or even knock it down.

Round 5

Drake's Destroyers arrive! By more than doubling the enemy's weight, we roughly even the odds.

The enemy Fenris has snuck around behind the Stalker yet again, a worrying trend, but it's also been targeted by many of our reinforcements. The enemy Thor is likely going to take a highly destructive shot at Milspec in the Crab, but Rook and Wizard can both take a crack at kicking it, potentially.

Drake and Carcer (now driving Rook's old Flashman) combine for our first Clan kill. Drake lands all three PPC shots on the Fenris, blowing out its remaining autocannon ammo, taking out its left arm, and chewing through its center torso armor, while Carcer cores it with a large laser and medium laser to the center torso. Rook kicks the Thor in front of her, and it falls.

Round 6

This round, we aim to put the enemy Thor in the ground. One way or another, I think we'll probably manage it.

In the south, Drake has a very good chance of hitting the enemy Mad Cat with three PPCs (though, annoyingly, the Clan PPCs do a whopping 15 points of damage to our 10, the jerks).

Wizard scores the killing blow on the Thor after Rook softens it up, but not before it's able to score immobilizing hits on Rook's Stalker. (She's still standing, but not able to move or turn.) On the southern front, the enemy Loki hits Double Dog in the Thunderbolt Tallman with two ER PPCs and knocks him over, while the Mad Cat plugs Drake with one.

Round 7

With only two Clan mechs left, it's looking like the tide has turned somewhat. (Thanks in the main to our reinforcements.)

The enemy Loki isn't going down without a fight, though. He scores an ER PPC hit to the head of *Double Dog's Thunderbolt, who only just manages to eject in time. Shrapnel from his exploding cockpit hits him hard. (n.b. per the game, he died; he's now spent 1 Edge to survive lethal damage and has 1 Edge remaining.)

Drake and Carcer prove a solid combination again, knocking out one of the Loki's PPCs and eating through most of its torso armor. The Loki's pilot stays on his feet, but the mechs coming down from the north put enough fire onto the Mad Dog to knock it over.

Woad, who is driving one of our medium laser boats and therefore leading the charge, is close enough to kick the Loki from one elevation up. He plants his Grasshopper's foot right on the Loki's shoulder and shears it clean off.

Round 8

Swarming the Mad Cat, the faster elements from both lances aim to finish it off, or at least cripple it, this round.

Rook has managed to get her balance back a bit, and has turned partway around. At this rate, another eight or ten rounds and she'll be back in the battle.

Private Hernandez in the Phoenix Hawk falls over, and neither Clan mech falls, though Drake, Carcer, and Milspec have done a number on the Loki, which is all but unarmored now.

Round 9

Still swarming the enemy. Drake gets his first Clanner kill, punching through the Loki's center torso armor and knocking out its engine.

Wizard and Woad continue kicking the Mad Cat, which is more or less immobilized in a little dip in the terrain. Its right torso fails, dropping the arm off, and its left arm follows shortly after.

Cleanup

With all six operational, mobile mechs now focusing fire on the Mad Cat, it goes down. Wizard gets the last shot, her second kill of the day.

Damage, Injuries, Salvage

Rough day for the Bastards. The Stalker is a figurative wreck, while the Thunderbolt is a literal one (at least until we order a new head).

Carcer, Rook, and Hernandez are lightly wounded. Double Dog is on the brink of death.

Salvage is a better story. The Fenris, Loki, and Mad Cat all end up in our possession, although we'll be hard-pressed to strip them before we're heading offworld in four days. They're beyond repair, but that's hardly a great loss; we can't buy parts to field them anyway.

The Thor is a different story. It's actually functional, or could be restored to function; that puts it well outside of our salvage budget.

Kill Board(s)

Last Battle

Wizard is moving up the ranks.

All-Time Leaders

• "Rook" Ishikawa (24, 5 mechs)
  • "Drake" Halit (13, 5 mechs, 1 Clan kill)
  • "Woad" Kohler (12, 4 mechs)
  • "Carcer" Ngo (10, 4 mechs, 1 Clan kill)
  • "Linebuster" Atkinson (5)
  • "Severe" Payne (4, 4 mechs)
  • "Double Dog" Dare (4, 1 mech)
  • "Ker-Ker" Ec (3, 2 mechs)
  • "Wizard" Que (3, 2 mechs, 2 Clan kills)
  • "Teddy Bear" Jamil (3, 1 mech)
  • "Milspec" Ortega (3)
  • "Euchre" Kojic (2, 2 mechs)
  • "Wojtek" Frajtov (1, 1 mech)
  • "Hanzoku" Yuksel (1, 1 mech)

Status

It is now December 25, 3051.

Contract Status

After radioing the Bastards' command post to be sure it's clear enough to attempt a landing, a Rasalhague Royal Army Union touches down, followed shortly after by a Leopard. There are just enough mech bays to fit the active units, and too little cargo space to comfortably fit all our salvage and parts. Our administrators work with the Rasalhague officers to make it work.

The men aboard the dropships are ashen-faced and gaunt, and no wonder. The Bastards who choose to wander get the sense this isn't the first world the Royal Army has abandoned in a hurry, not by a long shot. It hasn't been a very long war by the standard of such things, but it has been a brutal one, defeat followed by failure circling right back to defeat again. There's very little of the Free Rasalhague Republic left to flee to. The soldiers and sailors aboard are very aware of that.

The more reflective Bastards realize that they got off easy. Only the presence of reinforcements turned a brewing rout into a costly victory.

Unit Market

There isn't much worth mentioning for sale: an UrbanMech, a Dragon, and three Wasps. We'll keep our eyes peeled for better stuff.

Finances

We have 23.155 million C-bills on hand, after purchasing the spare parts necessary to get the unit back into fighting shape.

Training

Wojtek increases his gunnery to 4+, the last Green pilot to join the ranks of the Regulars.

Ker-Ker and Double Dog have both used 1 Edge at various points in the campaign, and have 1 remaining. All the other claimed mech pilots have 2.

Repairs and Refits

Our mechs are back into fighting trim. In the rush, we haven't had time to fix the paint, so they're looking a little battle-scarred.

Mechwarrior Claims and Assignments

• For the record, the following mechwarriors are claimed.
    • Captain Huri "Drake" Halit (Mephansteras) - Awesome AWS-8Q
    • Lt. SG George "Linebuster" Atkinson (Hasek10) - Lancelot LNC25-02
    • Lt. SG Mariamu "Rook" Ishikawa (Culise) - Stalker STK-3F
    • Lt. JG Sung-min "Double Dog" Dare (a1s) - Thunderbolt TDR-5S-T
    • Sgt. Jose "Milspec" Ortega (milspec) - Crab CRB-20
    • Cpl. Damayanti "Carcer" Ngo (Dorsidwarf) - Flashman FLS-7K
    • Cpl. Tedros "Teddy Bear" Jamil (Knave) - Vulcan VL-5T
    • Cpl. Ferdinand "Woad" Kohler (A Thing) - Grasshopper GHR-5H
    • Pvt. Jan "Euchre" Kojic (EuchreJack) - Trebuchet TBT-5S
    • Pvt. Cathrine "Severe" Payne (Burnt Pies) - Custom Locust
    • Pvt. E-Shei "Ker-Ker" Ec (Kanil) - Lancelot LNC25-02
    • Pvt. Ed "Hanzoku" Yuksel (Hanzoku) - Guillotine GLT-4L
    • Pvt. Ik-jun "Wojtek" Frajtov (Blaze) - Trebuchet TBT-5N
    • Pvt. Xue-Min "Wizard" Que (Rince Wind) - Guillotine GLT-4P
    • Pvt. Abdul-Hafiz "Pepper" Popalzi - Archer ARC-2K
  • The following mechwarriors are available.
    • Pvt. Gwenael Hernandez - Phoenix Hawk PXH-1K

Action Items

• We're en route to Nox. Presumably, we're honoring the deal we made for evacuation. If we don't, then there'll be consequences regarding our reputation.
  • We have some Clan salvage (one ER PPC, two ER Medium Lasers, one double heat sink, one anti-missile system). The Free Rasalhague Republic doesn't have much left in the stores to trade to us. Other employers (FedCom, the Free Worlds League) may be willing to share advanced technology with us in exchange for our Clan salvage. We can't just slap the latter onto our mechs; advanced Inner Sphere tech isn't up to the same standard as Clan tech, but also doesn't require us to salvage a functioning Clan mech and put it back in service.
    • Put another way, should we look to trade our Clan salvage for access to advanced Inner Sphere weaponry, or hoard it and try to assemble a franken-Clan-mech or two?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Unless we're confident that we can store enough of the stuff to put together a clan franken-mech and keep it operational for more than a battle or two I'd be inclined to see more about getting advanced inner sphere stuff.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At what point will you allow adding clan tech to IS chassis? It happens in canon at some point, so it is feasible.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

I'm open to convincing on that front. I'm don't know if it happens on a widespread basis in the Clan Invasion/Great Refusal/FedCom Civil War era we're mostly taking part in, but I'm not super-familiar with BattleTech lore.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Would depend on your definition of "widespread basis", by 3059/Operation Bulldog, most of the IS omnis get Clan weapon configs, from all the crap they stole from the Jaguars. I'd say it's definitely a thing that was somewhat common by then.

OmniMech stuff is supposed to be incompatible with standard BattleMechs, so if you're going to bother with that kind of bookkeeping, then we'll have to beat up on some second line units to get some non-Omni weapons. 'course I personally wouldn't bother with keeping track of where every piece of Clan salvage came from, because that sounds awful.

Ultimately you can probably just do what you want and can find some reasonable explanation as to why.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Happily, MekHQ 1) tracks whether a given weapon is mounted in an OmniPod, and 2) tracks OmniPods by weapon they support, so I can skip the bookkeeping myself and let the game do it.

In that case, it seems reasonable to start franken-refitting in the next year or two. The downside to franken-Clan-refits is that we have no access to spare parts, whereas once we get the advanced IS tech flowing, we can presumably buy it on the market. (The downside to advanced IS tech is, of course, that it's not nearly as big an upgrade, except double heat sinks.)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right now, the two big things for IS tech is the double heat sinks (an utter game changer for designs like the Crusader), and LB 10-X autocannons. Why that one? Because it makes regular AC/10 autocannons obsolete by allowing both ammo types while being a ton lighter and a critical slot smaller, and firing for one less heat at a slightly longer range. It's sort of silly but I love swapping out the AC/10 on anything that uses one for the LB 10-X version.

Also, in the Warehouse section, you can right-click on a podded item and remove its pod without any skill check or time needed, so being in a pod is not a major issue.

Lack of replacement parts is, of course. I think we should (role-play?) wise see if we can get a steady source of IS double heat sinks in exchange for some or all of our clan tech. The one part to keep is the ER PPC. If we can slap that onto Drake's Awesome with double heatsinks, he can reach out and potentially headshot enemies with frightening ease.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Teddy stares at the cockpit vids of the battle on Gunzberg long and hard, pointing at one of the strange mechs in action. "How do their Marauders carry PPCs AND LRMs without having zero armour? Doesn't make sense... I bet their cockpits are spacious and play soft jazz too."

---

Unit Market

There isn't much worth mentioning for sale: an UrbanMech, a Dragon, and three Wasps. We'll keep our eyes peeled for better stuff.

Are we sure we don't want to start an Urbanmech lance? :P

-I say we honour our terms. "These Wolf guys surprised us the first time round, but we'll be ready for em this time, right?"

-As for salvage. I believe at least initially if we have an IS omnimech, (I think the first ones come around 3053 through the DC) we can attach Clan omni pods as they use the same Omni™ connectors. Otherwise it'll probably be a few years after that? But maybe we can rp with a few very difficult rolls to our techs if we wanna get crazy :)

So I definitely agree that swapping our tech for Star League stuff (Hanzoku's suggestion of Double Heatsinks is great) would be helpful.  What's the market rate for Clan tech?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34