Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: The Opinionated Bastards: a BattleTech/MekHQ Mercenary Campaign (Dec. 30, 3053)  (Read 86468 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dropships are too expensive, and long time rent is not cheap either. You should wait for about 200mil more.

PHawks :top: Always good to have, myself I am especially fond of the special (b) version with the snubnose ppc.
And while the Warhammer is a nice classic I always find it lacking in heatsinks and armor. It is not a Loki, but for me it never lived up to its reputation.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Don't you have to be able to pay the full cost of the DropShip in MekHQ? A Union-class alone would be around 215 million C-Bills.

Apparently so. I'm willing to run it as installment payments instead, though.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lacking in heatsinks? The Warhammer actually has one of the better heat curves for a weapons-heavy 3025 design. It can't blast with its PPCs every round without question, but in close it can fire 2x MLaser, 2x SLaser, 2x Machine Guns, 1x SRM6 and alternate between adding in a PPC or not depending on its heat load.

Honestly, I'm really fond of the Warhammer. For a 3025 design, it's a fast, heavily armed 'Mech that can put out a ton of damage each round. Its potential damage output belongs better on an assault design with a 3/5 movement speed, but it does pay for it by having thin armor. One of the first things I do with them when refitting with SL tech is to stick on double heat sinks and use the space freed up up-armor the design.

Nostalgia aside for a 'Mech that was on the cover of my first box set, the last time I took one out on a mission, it koolaid-man'd through a building to detonate two Trebuchets one after another over two rounds because it decided that their intact LRM bins offended it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never had any luck with them. I prefer my Grasshoppers as 70t intro designs go.

Admittedly, Warhammers are a lot better at sinking heat than a lot of the other early mechs that only have their 10 heatsinks.
I also only ever played mega mek against princess (apart from one game when I was to young to understand what we were doing), so my opinion stems from that.

Sheyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that was a bit of an easy mission, huh?

If you think we can handle the installment payments, then a dropship would be nice, just for the flavor.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I liked this LP so much I decided to join the forums and sign up.

I'll take Pvt. Elroy Farooqi. Nickname "Faceplant".

I actually like the Warhammer, but I prefer the 6D variant, which gets rid of the machine guns and SRM launcher to add more armor and heat sinks. With 16 heat sinks, you can volley fire your PPCs, and still have some close-range punch with the lasers, but are now armored like a real heavy mech. The 6R excels at close-range fighting firepower-wise, but the weak armor doesn't actually make it viable in that role, in my experience.

A dropship is a great way to reduce transport costs, not to mention that employers will pay more in general per contract, but taking out a loan or using some other kind of "financial instrument" might eat into the bottom line a little too much.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NickAragua, I think I've seen you before.
BattleTech Forums? Not that I am very active over there.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I post there occasionally. Mostly related to megamek stuff.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is one of 2 subforums I visit. (the other is Fan Articles)

Welcome to bay12, have some plump helmet wine in a microcline mug.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:24:01 pm by Rince Wind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I've always liked the Crusader.  Yeah, the heat sinks are kinda low, but its not like you should be using the LRMs and SRMs at the same time anyways.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Figured I'd pop in to post a quick update, although (alas) not an actual update. It's been a super-busy summer so far, with some home improvement projects and open-source stuff eating up a lot of my time. I haven't abandoned this, I just haven't had very much free time the last few weeks. As we get into autumn and winter, I expect to pick back up to a more-or-less weekly schedule.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, we've got the 44.0 stable out and 45.0 dev release out. Lots of new goodies in those, you may consider upgrading the campaign (although, you'll have to merge any custom features you've coded up :()

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, we've got the 44.0 stable out and 45.0 dev release out. Lots of new goodies in those, you may consider upgrading the campaign (although, you'll have to merge any custom features you've coded up :()

Where? What?  Ah, you mean MekHQ.  Any updates to Against the Bot?
EDIT: I looked, although there seem to be some improvements to the way that Against the Bot is handled, the game rules themselves seem the same.  Unsure if any progress in making MekHQ capable of streamlining a Pirate or Noble game yet.

I was hypothesizing some optional rules for Pirates that would allow them to bribe their way back into Mercenary status, because why not?
It would seem to me that if a Mercenary outfit went rogue, they should be able to head out the Periphery, reform themselves, get fake IDs for survivors and maybe some cosmetic surgery, and return as a "New" Mercenary outfit.
...Lets not forget this is the setting where at least one clone ruled a Great House undetected for many years, and body doubles are common.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are, actually. There’s something like a 1 in 6 chance that the Pirate group gets offered an actual contract. If they win, another 1 in 6 roll rehabilitates their reputation.

Currently, there’s been no work on AtB rules for a long time. What I’d like to see is the optional rules for infantry, air support and artillery abstraction to be built in, as there are a ton of tables and rolling involved to use them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, last I looked some work was being done on AtB, but not yet implemented. It is being tested as far as I know. I haven't looked in a while.
It concerns missions more than anything else though, nothing about implementing more of the current rules.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34