Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: [MAYBE?] SpaceStory - A spacey RP  (Read 21707 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
[MAYBE?] SpaceStory - A spacey RP
« on: September 25, 2017, 06:21:10 am »

Uhhhh... You think up a space civilization, how do they look, what traits do they have, etc. Then you RP as their ruler, other people can join you as space captains, bureaucrats, merchants... Note that this is not set in the Milky Way, but instead in the Whirlpool Galaxy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Messier51_sRGB.jpg), so less stars, but still more than enough. Races can join in after the game starts. Now, details:

Turns:

1. Turn starts. Status and location of all players revealed. (Some info could be given to players by pm to keep it private)
2. All players provide actions for the turn (and rp when appropriate)
3. GM (it's me Maximum Spin!) determines results of all player actions and other things (like random events or npc actions) and includes this information in the post for the following turn.
4. Repeat steps 1-3.

Space traveling methods:

The Alcubierre Drive is slower than the Hyperspace Lanes, but can't be disrupted (only doable by, y'now, destroying the drive) and doesn't have to follow the lanes. Traveling 5 ly takes 1 month. This is unlocked by default.

Hyperspace Lanes that connect stars together. Traveling requires a Hyperspace Drive. Traveling is still not instant and, for 5 ly, takes about 3 days. They can be disrupted using certain technologies.

Weapons:

Whatever you can think of, as long as it's not too over the top and is consistent with what you have researched!

Technologies:

Similarly, but you find them in Precursor Settlements on certain planets. Or steal them from your neighbours.

You can also play a pirate group or a space monster.

Space monsters:

You design it yourself. They all have a Biological Alcubierre Drive built in. You have 20 points. Here's what you can spend them on:

1 Tentacle: 1 point. Can grab and impale ships, if you spend 15 more points on "HUGE size", you can grab and impale planets!

Laser eyes: 3 points. Exactly what it says on the tin.

Claws: 3 points. Can maul ships, bat off bullets, etc. You can do the same with planets if you grab "HUGE size". Requires at least one Limb.

1 Limb: 1 point. Exactly what it says on the tin.

Biological Hyperdrive: 10 points. Allows traveling along Hyperspace Lanes.

1 Wing: 2 points. Biological solar sails.

Hypnotise: 3 points. Makes a ship not move.

HUGE Size: 15 points. Makes you 2 times the size of Earth!

So, I'm also playing, but as a pirate group called the Space Dragons. They're... basically purple draconians with a penchant for stealing technology. It is unknown how they resorted to piracy, they don't seem to have a homeworld (anymore?). They travel in a massive fleet (over 100000 ships!) with a central Mothership which houses most of their population.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:16:27 pm by KittyTac »
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Less blatant mafia mod.
    • View Profile
Re: [This is my first RP] SpaceStory - A spacey RP
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:35 am »

Let's go with a civilization.

... wait, is this a SG or a multiplayer game?
The mind is a weird and wonderful thing. Do you know what I mean?
~~~
I've got a mafia game coming up for anyone interested!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:53:30 am »

Name: Planet Tex

Type: Space Monster

Features:
Biological Alcubierre Drive (automatic)
HUGE Size (15 pts)
1 Wing (2 pts)
Laser Eyes (3 pts)

Question - do space monsters benefit from character advancement analogous to technologies?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:05 am »

Let's go with a civilization.

... wait, is this a SG or a multiplayer game?

Multiplayer.

Name: Planet Tex

Type: Space Monster

Features:
Biological Alcubierre Drive (automatic)
HUGE Size (15 pts)
1 Wing (2 pts)
Laser Eyes (3 pts)

Question - do space monsters benefit from character advancement analogous to technologies?

1) Accepted.

2) Hmmm... nope. I don't want everyone dying 20 posts in because a monster acquired 100 tentacles, 100 clawed limbs, and all of the other powers.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »

What sort of technology is to be researched or we set ourselves up with a tech or two or what not? As I do not have access to my computer cannot submit space game. But can try making a space culture here.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:51:43 pm »

Space Monster: Bugbat
Biological Hyperdrive (10 pts)
1 Tentacle (1 pt)
1 Limb (1 pt)
Claws (3 pts)
Hypnosis (3 pts)
Wings (2 pts)

Also, action (if accepted): Use hyperspace lanes to move toward nearest planet.
Melting in a giant, bacon-smelling inferno caused by trying to build a castle out of giant chunks of meat. Overall, not the worst way to go.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum physics.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:14:26 pm »

What sort of technology is to be researched or we set ourselves up with a tech or two or what not? As I do not have access to my computer cannot submit space game. But can try making a space culture here.

You advance in tech once in... say 5 turns. And you start at the approximmate current level of humans. Again, as with weaponry, tech should not be too over-the-top and/or make a sudden jump.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:16 pm »

Uhhhh... You think up a space civilization, how do they look, what traits do they have, etc. Then you RP as their ruler, other people can join you as space captains, bureaucrats, merchants...

So, I'm also playing, but as a pirate group called the Space Dragons. They're... basically purple draconians with a penchant for stealing technology. It is unknown how they resorted to piracy, they don't seem to have a homeworld (anymore?). They travel in a massive fleet (over 100000 ships!) with a central Mothership which houses most of their population.

Can we make characters to join the Space Dragons?  If so, then here's my character:
Name: Xerres, The Fearsome One
Description: A greenish purple draconian.  Somewhat taller and bulkier than other draconians.
Skills: Leadership, Thievery, Close Combat
Bio: Xerres is captain of a highly renowned ship called The Worvull.  Thanks to Xerres' strategic mind, quick wits, and excellent fighting skills, The Worvull is one of the most respected and feared ships in the Space Dragons' fleet.  The ship features some of the best technological components ever stolen.

(I didn't really feel like coming up with all the details for a full race/civilization, so that's why I was hoping to join someone else's group)

Edit: Oh, does "other people" actually refer to npcs, not players?  If so, just ignore this post.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:21:00 am by GigaGiant »
Insert witty signature here

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 12:37:23 am »

Uhhhh... You think up a space civilization, how do they look, what traits do they have, etc. Then you RP as their ruler, other people can join you as space captains, bureaucrats, merchants...

Can we make characters to join the Space Dragons?  If so, then here's my character:
Name: Xerres, The Fearsome One
Description: A greenish purple draconian.  Somewhat taller and bulkier than other draconians.
Skills: Leadership, Thievery, Close Combat
Bio: Xerres is captain of a highly renowned ship called The Worvull.  Thanks to Xerres' strategic mind, quick wits, and excellent fighting skills, The Worvull is one of the most respected and feared ships in the Space Dragons' fleet.  The ship features some of the best technological components ever stolen.

(I didn't really feel like coming up with all the details for a full race/civilization, so that's why I was hoping to join someone else's group)

Edit: Oh, does "other people" actually refer to npcs, not players?  If so, just ignore this post.

Yea, it's players. Accepted.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 08:17:37 am »

Bump.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 08:46:16 am »

How many players do we need to start?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:51 am »

How many players do we need to start?

Someone should make an actual race. Then the fun will start.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS

Ultramarine Prime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:58 pm »

Seems like fun. I'll write up a civilization sometime tonight

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »

Plotting to write down a faction soon. Just need time.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 11:48:01 pm »

You advance in tech once in... say 5 turns. And you start at the approximmate current level of humans. Again, as with weaponry, tech should not be too over-the-top and/or make a sudden jump.

So, how much ingame time passes in 1 turn?  A year?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54