Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: unpause not working?  (Read 2899 times)

jojojay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
unpause not working?
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:53 am »

i am unable to pause my game. when i hit the space bar, it just steps forward, like when you hit the period button. is this a glitch, or am i doing something wrong? i am using the lazy newb starter pack

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: unpause not working?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:32:43 pm »

I have not seen this problem before so this is guessing. Presuming you check for stuck keys on your keyboard, is there any chance you modified the Key Bindings? (not sure if this is an option through LNP, but it is through the main DF menus)

Check it by using ESC to get to the "Dwarf Fortress Options" menu, then select "Key Bindings", then down arrow to "Dwarf Mode", then down arrow to "Main: Pause and Resume", which should show "By Position: Space" on the right side. If it is something besides "Space", then that is the problem. If it was doen though LNP, check LNP for a keymapping "set to default" option.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:29 pm »

Are you using any utilities?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

jojojay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:15:15 pm »

my spacebar is not broken. i am able to type this message. i open a different fort and i am able to pause and unpause that fort. however, i am unable to upause this fort. this has happened to two different forts. it does not even unpause when i disable "pause on load" and try to load the game. i am using the lazy newb pack. i have auto job assignments, multi level view, enhanced gameplay, performance tweaks, hide df console, and other automation plugins enabled.vanilla keybinding. in the controlls menu, space is pause/resume.

i tried switching pause to a different button. that did not work.

i think that it is probbably just something stupid that i am missing with the controlls though. i am an almost complete noob.

i am using a lot of workflow constraints
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:22:03 pm by jojojay »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:11:34 pm »

"unpause not working" is caused by reveal hell, but single-stepping forwards is more like something pauses the game in a single frame, which I usually encounter with some types of event spam, such as with repeating caveins. (I typically record a single-stepping macro to get through small sections of those: Ctrl-R, press . five times, Ctrl-R, Ctrl-U 99 Ctrl-P to play pressing . five times 99 times.)

Launch the save without LNP, just vanilla DF and turn on all job cancellations to confirm it is caused by that. (Use task manager to exit without saving).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:13:31 pm by Fleeting Frames »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »

i have auto job assignments, <snip> hide df console
Okay, does "auto job assignments" mean "labormanager"? Someone else ran into a similar issue recently where labormanager was failing to determine the correct labor for something, which pauses the game and displays an error in the DFHack console. Can you turn off the option to hide the DFHack console and see if anything shows up there when you try to unpause?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

jojojay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 12:11:49 am »

i disabled automatic job assignments(yes the name is "automatic job assignments") and i was able to unpause. i ran the game for a few seconds, then saved and exited the game. i then turned automatic job assignments back on and i was able to play the game. i THINK that it might have been that i queud up ivory and bone crafts to be made at the craftsdwarf workshop without having ivory and bone, though i could be wrong.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:11:27 am »

i disabled automatic job assignments(yes the name is "automatic job assignments") and i was able to unpause. i ran the game for a few seconds, then saved and exited the game. i then turned automatic job assignments back on and i was able to play the game. i THINK that it might have been that i queud up ivory and bone crafts to be made at the craftsdwarf workshop without having ivory and bone, though i could be wrong.
"automatic job assignments" is a name that was presumably made up by whoever built your pack. There's nothing in DFHack by that name. I'm assuming it's referring to labormanager, because this behavior sounds like labormanager, but the actual name ought to be visible somewhere in your pack (maybe in a tooltip?).

Anyway, it would still help fix the issue more permanently if you could enable the DFHack console and provide the error message that was logged there.

jojojay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »

"automatic job assignments" is a name that was presumably made up by whoever built your pack. There's nothing in DFHack by that name. I'm assuming it's referring to labormanager, because this behavior sounds like labormanager, but the actual name ought to be visible somewhere in your pack (maybe in a tooltip?).

it says "cannot deduce labor for makes crafts job(not bone)" and also "game paused so you can investigate above message" it seems to be that i had pearl crafts qued on repeat in my crafts-dwarf workshop(as well as ivory and bone crafts).  it was fixed after i removed pearl crafts from the queue. i figured that my dwarves would just make ivory, bone, and pearl crafts whenever there where crafts available.

is there any way to make them do this? for example, i want them to tan leather whenever i have leather to tan, i do not want to have to manually un-suspend leather tanning each time i butcher something. and i want them to butcher things whenever there are things avaible to butcher.
Anyway, it would still help fix the issue more permanently if you could enable the DFHack console and provide the error message that was logged there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:37:31 pm by jojojay »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »

Automatically tanning things and butchering things in refuse stockpiles or "near" butcher's workshop is the default behaviour under 'o'rders - 'W'orkshop orders. For things not in that menu (or if you have multiple workshops of that type and want to specify), there's other automation such as workflow and manager. 

Speaking of which, I would guess you have the first enabled, which changes repeating tasks to suspend instead of cancel and disappear from workshop.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »

it says "cannot deduce labor for makes crafts job(not bone)" and also "game paused so you can investigate above message" it seems to be that i had pearl crafts qued on repeat in my crafts-dwarf workshop(as well as ivory and bone crafts).  it was fixed after i removed pearl crafts from the queue.

Pearls don't currently exist in-game, so it's not too surprising that DFHack doesn't know what labor is required to craft with them.