Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: The Importance of Prejudice  (Read 34430 times)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Prejudice
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2018, 08:40:59 am »

I hope this rustles your jimmies, because 'post-modern garbage' is here to stay (unless fascism is your thing).

There are myriad ways in which the "post-modern garbage" might be excised from greater society, and I imagine fascism to be among the least likely of those.  Natural processes such as social evolution are far more likely to be the primary factor in the end.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »

There are myriad ways in which the "post-modern garbage" might be excised from greater society, and I imagine fascism to be among the least likely of those.  Natural processes such as social evolution are far more likely to be the primary factor in the end.

You have a strange definition of 'natural'.  When we see social evolution is natural, is that not basically saying everything is natural, hence what is the point of the concept of nature?

What is actually unnatural in this intellectual system you are using?

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2018, 01:37:12 pm »

What is actually unnatural in this intellectual system you are using?

The imposition of social change which is unagreed to and unwanted by the vast majority is unnatural.  In other words, precisely what you are defending and pushing forward is unnatural.

The natural order of society, meaning the great numbers of people closer to the center of the bell curve, will continue the correction of this aberration until it has taken its rightful seat in the dustbin of history.

Which word would you like me to define for you next?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2018, 11:41:50 pm »

Guess I'll just drop my two cents on this somewhat-necro'd thread, but I really don't think emulation of prejudice in DF would be that big of a deal. I mean, if you can throw kids into lava and do a ton of other atrocities, this seems extremely minor by comparison. And only disabling it for humans would be a bit silly.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:08 pm »

Yes, and DF characters aren't alive or sentient.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2018, 08:32:18 am »

The imposition of social change which is unagreed to and unwanted by the vast majority is unnatural.  In other words, precisely what you are defending and pushing forward is unnatural.

The natural order of society, meaning the great numbers of people closer to the center of the bell curve, will continue the correction of this aberration until it has taken its rightful seat in the dustbin of history.

Which word would you like me to define for you next?

The majority follows the change, it does not initiate the change, in every era the majority were wrong and the minority were right.  The only good thing about present majorities is that they resemble the minorities that came before them in the previous societies. 

The majority is destroyed and the minority then becomes the majority.  Then that majority is destroyed by the next minority which becomes the majority and so on forever.  That is how social change works, there will be no uprising of the majority against the minority because the present majority will be destroyed as all previous majorities were. 

The only problem for them is that the victorious minority becomes the majority.   :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]