Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: First Book of Archibald: Bloodline Succession Game  (Read 26801 times)

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Book of Archibald: Bloodline Succession Game
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:01 am »

Hello everyone! I am Archibald, a new member to the site. Although I am new to the game too, I quickly learned the basics (in short:newbie with some experience). What drew my attention was these so-called "Succession Games" where players would share one world/map/fortress between themselves, often with hilarious results. I am familiar with Boatmurdered and the one played on TV Tropes (which sadly I cannot remember right now :'(). In fact, it was those two games that made me play Dwarf Fortress (believe me when I say I had no idea this game existed at all, quite a nice change from the standrad shooters).

So here I am, proposing a Bloodline Game (which is, as you might already know, a game where one player gets only one turn and then sends it to others). As every self-respecting game, this will have some rules too.

1) 1 Turn = 1 In-Game year. During your turn you have to write something to a "log entry" where you describe what happened during your reign. Posting images is completely optional. This will only be for the first five years (if it lasts that long, that is). After that, 1 turn will last two In-Game years.

2) Everyone can join. The more the merrier... and more Fun.

3) If you want to be a ruler, please write here first, as this will, hopefully, cause less confusion. After your rule is over, post the save/link in this topic for others.

4) Screwing up, sabotage, etc. is forbidden. The goal is to last as long as possible. If you do screw it up on purpose, then the next ruler is free to use the previous save before you became a ruler.

5) Please no mods as it could corrupt saves or something.

I will go first. Please note that it may take me some time to post my first entry as I 1) am relatively new and 2)life tends to get in my way. But just because I am a newbie, it won't mean that I will make things easier. Who knows, maybe you will get a laugh or two at my expense.  :P

Let the game begin!

For dwarfing: If you are a player, then you can dwarf yourself when you play. Otherwise, if you are a viewer, then the current player will dwarf said viewer.

Players (number means turns):

1. Sanctume (done)
2. wertyzerty (done)
3. Exodius1 (done)
4. TheImmortalRyukan (almost done, current, swapped with Exodius1)
5. CaptainArchmage
6. Demonic Spoon
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:57:32 am by Archibald »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: First Book of Archibald: Bloodline Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:26:32 am »

Posting to watch
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:01:01 pm »

I can do a lot in a given year, sign me up.

If you are dorfing, I'll take an axedwarf named Sanctume.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »

Sign me up for a turn as well, if you do not mind. I will dwarf myself when we get there.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »

Actually, if you are dorfing, name a Mason/architect Imic once you have the pop to do it, and disable all other jobs. Then give him the custom title of "Priest of Stonefather".
I apolagise for asking a lot, and I hope I'm not intruding, but this fort seems quite promising.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:03:56 am »

I decided to split my rule in parts to avoid problems. Hope you like it.  :)

First Book of Archibald from Bloodleaf

The Emperor protects. Blessed be Thou, who saveth us from Armok, known to Humans as Khorne and to Elves as the Blood God.

Introduction:

I, Archibald from Bloodleaf, acolyte of the Ordo Castrum, received an order, by the God-Emperor of Dwarfkind himself, to take a pilgrimage outside the borders of our holy empire so that I can establish a brand new fortress which will help us fight against the xenos that threaten our holy race.

For this purpose, I decided to start a book where I will keep track of everything that happens during my brief reign. This book shall be passed from ruler to ruler, where they will record the history of this Emperor-blessed settlement. Should a ruler refuse their task, the Dwarf population is free to to punish them as every Emepror-fearing Dwarf would punish a heretic. We need to defend our minds, bodies and spirits from the claws of Armok, not throw ourselves into them.

Chapter 1: Archibald from Bloodleaf

15th of Granite, 250

We finally arrived at the site.It is a temperate shrubland with moderate vegetation, little soil, shallow metal, deep metals and flux stone layer. We are surrounded by untamed wilderness.

We prepared carefully for this expedition. So here is a brief list of what/who we took.

Dwarves:

Likot Craftseer, Dwarf Marine (skilled with sword)
Archibald Craftedcovers (me), member of Ordo Castrum, adequate metal/wood/stonecrafter (for some reason, the Administratum misgendered me as a woman, something I am not)
Kadol Bladebanners, skilled Miner
Imic Councilstaff, member of the Adeptus Masonus, adequate Mason (rank Masonpriest)
Rigoth Tindells, adequate Carpenter
Zefon Pinkfountain, skilled Grower
Zutthan Cudgelcalm, adequate observer/judge of intent/appraiser/consoler

Items:

2 Copper picks
1 Copper battle axe
1 iron anvil
20 dwarven wine/rum/beer/ale
20 plump helmet spawn
10 pig tail seeds
10 cave wheat seeds
5 dimple cup spawn
15 chopped dog liver
15 black bullhead, f
15 plump helmets
15 wombat tripe
5 pig tail thread
5 pig tail cloth
7 pig tail bags
5 pig tail ropes
3 mule leather quivers
3 pine buckets
3 pine splints
3 pine crutches
1 pine wheelbarrow
1 pine stepladder
1 cat
1 bismuth bronze short sword
2 buck rabbit
2 doe rabbit
1 persimon wood training sword
1 maple training spear

And thanks to the glory of our God-Emperor, I dub this fortress Thatthildunan, or Autumncrawl.

The Emperor Protects!

I ordered to mine an L-shaped tunnel along with two large rooms at each side, with the purpose of making stockpile areas and a farm and told the woodcutter to chop down some trees.

As for military, I assigned our Dwarf Marine to "The Silver Horns" chapter, givng him the rank of of captain, for he will command the future Imperial Dwarfsmen which will defend our holy fortress.

I set a zone for pastures.

Hm, it seems that our cat adopted our miner...

19th of Granite, 250

Haha, funny story. I ordered to chop down trees to our woodcutter... only to find out that we had no woodcutter (!). I had to assign our planter for this job.

The tunnel/room mining operation is slowly advancing.

Set a zone for water ource and fishing. It is kinda far away from the fort. Something I did not think about when I came here.

20th of Granite, 250

Set a zone for garbage dump. Also made a stockpile for refuse and corpses.

Also changed labors of all dwarves. Only our Dwarf Marine can carry wounded.

24th of Granite, 250

Since the mining project is still incomplete, I assigned the Masonpriest to help our miner out. The sooner we finish this, the better.

2nd of Slate, 250

Five dwarves are sitting on their arses all day, praying to the God-Emperor. Good news is that Sibrek became a miner too.

Mining is 50% complete. Hopefully no one will attack us.

7th of Slate, 250

Due to my patience running low, I decided to create stockpiles in half-completed rooms. This is becoming slower than I expected. My biggest worry is a sudden kobold or greenskin assault. Vile xenos.

The Woodcutter is chopping trees.

On a side note, our Dwarf Marine makes me nervous. While empathetic beyond a normal dwarf, he is awfully quiet. Perhaps he is praying to God-Emperor? That's the thing with Dwarf Marines, you never know what are they thinking.

12th of Slate, 250

I heard many lies told by heretics in my time, but this beats them all. Apparently, our Masonpriest "lost" his pick. When I asked him about it, he simply shrugged say that "the stone spirits cursed such a tool of destruction". Ugh, Masonpriests... I swear to God-Emperor.

Anyway the first stockpiles are up. One of the rooms is used for: wood, ammo, finished products, gem, cloth, weapon. As soon as the second room is done, half of it will become a farm and half a stockpile for food.

Our planter fought something and has become slightly enraged. I told her to pray the God-Emperor, lest he wanted to be a slave to Armok. She calmed down.

13th of Slate, 250

The main mining project is finally complete. Second project consists of building a small barracks and a dining hall along with making downstairs for the second level to expand our fortress.

Still no threats.

24th of Slate, 250

I decided to build a butcher's shop near the entrance and assign it to the planter. Since we have animals, it is only logical to use them.

Oh, I also ordered to dig out a small space for workshops. They were quickly completed, allowing us to create a mason's workshop.

28ht of Slate, 250

Our Stray Yak Bull is going to be slaughtered. I will let bunnies and the horse alive. Farm is not doing so well and we need as much food as possible.

7th of Felsite, 250

We found chalk. About time our damn Masonpriest finally does something productive. Otherwise he will return to his cycle of eating and farting non-stop.

11th of Felsite, 250

We struck sard and the weather has cleared. Hooray.

Thanks to the Masonpriest, now we can focus on finishing the lodge and the dining hall.

Decided to butcher the horse.

21st of Felsite, 250

Carpenter's workshop is up. Beds are being produced.

As for the second level, I decided to make it a T shaped tunnel. This can be useful for accessing some rooms more quickly. Of course, it can be used for other purposes too.

Canceled the production of doors. I have no use for them now.

3rd of Hematite, 250

Today I am starting with the construction of the trading depot. This should attract the attention of the caravans, be they xeno or not.

Now, we are at war with most xeno races. This doesn't mean they can't be useful though. Especially humans. I always admired their tallness...

22nd of Hematite, 250

The trade depot is built. Now we have to remove any obstacles and the caravans should arrive soon.

1st of Malachite, 250

A new dwarf, and his family, joined our group. Say hello to Sanctume Brassaqua, woodcutter who wishes to be an axedwarf, married to Atir Primecave and has two kids. Comes directly from The Ceiling of Purifying, member of The Strapping Orb and former member of The Diamonds of Influencing, The Fortunate Constructs and The Sunken Bridge. But is he a devout worshipper of the God-Emperor of Dwarfkind?

I assigned him to The Silver Horns, ordered a construction of an armor stand and created a small training area. Our Dwarf Marine will train him well and we could always use an Imperial Guardsdwarf.

His wife is a farmer. She will be assigned to herb gathering, processing, tanning and animal caring. She is also good at gelding and spinning.

One of his children, Mosus Tundraochre, decided it was a good idea to not follow her parents to safety. What a brat.

6th of Malachite, 250

That kid still refuses to reach the fortress. I think I need to talk with her parents.

Today I am expanding the second level by adding rooms and halls.

Also changed the military schedule. One month they will be training, the other they will defend the entrance.

8th of Malachite, 250

Our Masonpriest decided it would be a good time to create a statue of the God-Emperor. I immediately gave my permission.

Started construction of a craftdwarf workshop. I can use this place to give my helping hand.

Decided to start our metal industry. First, I am gonna build a wood furnace. I will be assigned to wood burning and furnace operating.

13th of Malachite, 250

Now I am going to build a smelter along with a metalsmith's forge.

18th of Malachite, 250

The metal industry is up.

The statue is finished and placed.

20th of Malachite, 250

The child came to the fort. About the damn time. Don't need tantrums from parents right now.

I will create several trinkets for tourists that we can sell to caravans. We have to make a profit somehow, right?

23rd of Malachite, 250

Now she wandered away again! Dear Emperor, I won't be held responsible if the greenskins take him away.

26th of Malachite, 250

Building an ashery and a still. Need that alcohol industry running.

Will slaughter two rabbits.

4th of Galena, 250

I realized I could make a water/fishing source closer. There is a lake near the fortress. We just need to build a few ramps close to the entrance. This will allow me to construct a fishery close to the butcher's shop. Efficiency is everything.

8th of Galena, 250

Looks like the kid became bored and came to a visit...

13th of Galena, 250

And she departed again.

17th of Galena, 250

There is going to be a third level to our fortress. We need to get metals and the only way to do it is to dig deeper. One tiny hallway was mined out, which will contain the stairs. To prevent unpleasantries, we built a door and walls.

19th of Galena, 250

Our Masonpriest wants to create five more chalk statues of the God-Emperor. Sometimes I admire his faith in our protector.

24th of Galena, 250

Hmm... it might be a good idea to make a sculpture garden to glorify the might of the God-Emperor. Masonpriest, make more statues!

Naturally, partying at said garden is both forbidden and heretical.

25th of Galena, 250

We struck sard!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 06:28:48 am »

Snip!

If nobody attempts this I will be sorely disappointed considering the theme you are going for... I think I found out what I am doing during my turn... PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH!
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:32 am »

Woah. Sounds like something that would produce Dwarf Marines, not Imperial Guarddwarves. Sadly, I don't have enough experience to build it. So  I will just make the basics.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:03:45 am »

You realize those are my kids, and I'm the next overseer?  ;D

It would be historically cool to witness a kidnapping, and see that kid invade years later.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:29:37 pm »

You realize those are my kids, and I'm the next overseer?  ;D

Oh come on, who wouldn't love seeing their spoiled pile of meat and bones survive 12 years of cruel, trauma and senseless torture just to become an Ubermensch who can solo pretty much anything?  :P

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:46 am »

1st Limestone, 250

Autumn has come and with it, my enlightenment.

I was recently thinking about the hard training that our Dwarf Marines must finish in order to become what they are. So I sent a letter to the capital, demanding to receive the knowledge necessary to train our own Dwarf Marines.

The response came today.

I immediately went to work. Those who come after me will have to complete the project.

9th Limestone, 250

Two caravans from ingiz Enam have arrived! Can't wait to start trading.

11th Limsetone, 250

Along with the caravans came the outpost liaison, Udil Asteshbothon.

We demanded dwarven syrup, dogs and iron bars. Unfortunately, I do not have skills required for such bureaucratic problems. Meh, someone else will fix that.

We said goodbye and the caravan went on its merry way.

Trading:

Electrum bars (89) for 1 charcoal and 1 chalk door
Sold 2 pieces of charcoal (8) and a bin of chalk trinkets (64)

Which reminds me, must make a sealed coin stockpile.

17th Limestone, 250

Our rabbits gave birth. And here I was thinking that they would be a scarce source of food.

19th Limestone, 250

Decided to sell hooves, bones and hair from slaughtered animals. Maybe we can get something else from this trade.

26th Limestone, 250

The merchants are departing. This one was a bit greedy. I will make sure to label him as a heretic. Wanna see if he is going to be greedy when he will burn at the stake.

9th Sandstone, 250

Everything is calm in the fortress, as it should be. Ordered for the two rabbits to be butchered. Making another underground level.

12th Sandstone, 250

New imigrant. Id Clearboats, farmer. She will be a fisherdwarf instead.

She also brought a lamb.

13th Sandstone, 250

By the Emperor, I did it! I made an electrum figurine of the God-Emperor! We must celebrate!

What the-?! More imigrants?! Where did they come from?!

Sigh, okay. Here is the list:

Onul Oilyarrows, miner.
Alath Trussguild, trapper.
Zasit Odorslings, child.
Tun Craftwind, farmer. Will become miller and cook.
Nish Riddletrade, engraver.
Endok Lockring, craftsdwarf.
Bembul Rockidol, woodcutter. Will become Imperial Guardsdwarf.
Vutok Puzzlepaddled, another woodcutter. Will become gem cutter.
Kumil Clutchboards, Ranger.
One of them brought a baby alpaca.

I think that is all.

15th Slate, 250

Our engraver pleaded to start engraving our halls. I gave him permission to do it. Hopefully they will engrave something useful.

1st Timber, 250

Today is a rather slow day. Nothing exciting is going on. Those who decided that working to make the fortress better is not important are only admiring the statues of the God-Emperor.

By the way, we are digging even deeper.

21st Timber, 250

It has been quite a while since I last updated our situation. I assigned myself to the mechanic's workshop, since we lack mechanics and we kinda need those.

The Masonpriest decided to build six coffins... you never know.

23rd Timber, 250

There is nothing to catch in the eastern swamps.

24th Timber, 250

Endok created a masterpiece pig tail dress.

Today we start making individual bedrooms. I am also thinking of making a library.

1st Moonstone, 250

Winter has finally come. Hopefully we will be able to survive.

3rd Moonstone, 250

Imic has become a Masonpriest. Good for him.

Making a bowyer's workshop.

20th Moonstone, 250

Had to stop digging in few places because of damp stone, but we managed to mine out several rooms. I and Sanctume are neighbors. Figures.

3rd Opal, 250

Tun Craftwind, our farmer, decided to withdraw from society... Something isn't right. I can sense foul energies emanating from that person...

He claimed my workshop for a few minutes before going towards the stairs. But wait! He turned around and ran straight to the trade depot. He took something and tries his best to hide it. Returning to my workshop, he began making something. Live and let live, I say.

10th Opal, 250

In only a week, Tun became a bone carver. He carved what he calls "Amitat", a horse bone buckler.

Completely heretical artefact. His fate will be decided by the overseer who will come after me. In my opinion, we should burn him and the cursed artefact. I must immediately pray to the God-Emperor.

21st Opal, 250

Our engraves started decorating the main hall of the second floor with his "art".

5th Obsidian, 250

Adding quern and loom.

28th Obsidian, 250

The last day of this year has finally come. And what a year it was!

It took great effort to build this fortress and I am proud of those who joined my holy cause. The God-Emperor smiled upon us!

A naturalist is visiting our fortress. Hopefully they will like our new library I dubbed "The Treasury of Axes".

2nd Granite, 251

An engineer is coming to visit. Looks like our library will attract more scholars than I thought.

4th Granite, 251

And now a sage is visiting! Marvelous!

To celebrate, we persuaded our trapper to become a scribe.

5th Granite, 251

We are creating a screw press. The goal is to start producing items our scribe can use.

12th Granite, 251

An elven caravan is coming to our fortress. Filthy xenos. If they start making ridiculous demnads, we shall smite them all!

15th Granite, 251

And my duty is done. This day I willingly step down and let someone else in charge of this fortress. Whoever you are, be reminded that you must write in this book, as it contains in detail the history fo this holy place.

Here is what I made so far:

1. This is a room created for storing food and farming. If someone wants to expand it, feel free to do it. We ran out of seeds, so it would be a good idea to buy them from the caravan.

2. The industrial zone is split in three parts (from left to right): food industry, metal, various workshops. I made two roads to make it all faster.

3. Initially I wanted to expand this area, but when I made the garden, the dwarves decided to go there instead of here, so I had no idea what to do about it.

4. Our library has a scribe, but it's not completed. Add bookcases/tables and chairs/whatever you think it would be good to do.

5. Before I decided to make private bedrooms, I had the idea of expanding the dormitory by adding more beds and mining a bigger room.

6. This is where I made the "garbage zone". I placed it as close to the fortress as possible for the dwarves to reach safely.

7.  Our tiny pasture. Now it has four babies.

8. Made a burrow for our soldiers to guard. I wanted to place traps but then I thought that the population might willingly walk on them.

1. Sculpture garden of the God-Emperor. Respect this place. Above it is my (failed) attempt to make our reeducational room for the young bas- I mean, children.

2. Hallway with stairs for deeper levels. Made a door in case something bad happens.

3. Main hallway that our engraver decided to decorate. Please finish the project.

4. Coin vault.

5. The first private bedrooms.

Where you see "!" it means "don't dig". There might be water.

One more thing. Here are few "demands" that I would like to be completed by future overseers, if possible:

1. Start the paper industry. Our scribe is constantly nagging me to give him books and scrolls. It is becoming a bit frustrating.

2. Add a scholar. Or more.

3. It would be a good idea to start a bee industry. It is a known fact that we dwarves are machines that run on alcohol water.

4. Build a temple to God-Emperor. This is the most important part. We must thank the God-Emperor for this holy gift and a temple is the most appropriate.

Here ends my turn.

Link to save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13108

I can slowly see the insanity that is coming.  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:20:00 am by Archibald »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:39:53 am »

I love it!
*Maniacal laughter*
*stares at pictures of cathedrals for no aparrent reason*
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 02:27:36 pm »

I have the save.  The legends / history is quite juicy.

p.s. I am using Pheobus 24x24 for my sanity's sake,  but will revert the save to ascii after.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:57 pm »

I have the save.  The legends / history is quite juicy.

p.s. I am using Pheobus 24x24 for my sanity's sake,  but will revert the save to ascii after.

Hahaha, you are a funny guy...

Silly Sanctume! Sanity does not exist! It is a myth!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 03:03:20 pm »

Introduction

15 Granite, 251

The rustling rabbit leather cloak scraping on the smooth granite floor is the sound that alerts the iron clad sentry into attention.  The shadow from the moonlighted fortifications hides the face of the hooded figure entering the grand library.  The war weary scholar sets his burden on the chalk table with a thud from, a gold bound tome full of giant jaguar parchments. 

The glow and heat of the magma emanating off the grates comforts the scholar and increases the urge for drinks.  But the compelling task to record history is enough to ignore basic needs.

--
The age of myth is still upon The Land of Enchanting in the year 251.  There are sixteen known civilizations warring for existence, and four dwarven nations still remain. 

Spoiler: 01 History Civ List (click to show/hide)

Our queendom, The Ceiling of Purifying is strong due to Queen Sarvesh' devotion to the dragon god of fire and wealth, Nelas Diamondgold the Fiery Silvers. 

With great strength comes many enemies.  The war with The Teal of Malice goblins reaches its forty-fifth year duration.  Such prolonged war sired two more goblin wars with The Dungeons of Births, and The Midnight of Catching. 

Spoiler: 06 History Goblin Wars (click to show/hide)

In the past year 250, two ruins are reclaimed: Letterfatal and Helmcities; and Autumncrawl is founded by The Strapping Orbs group.

Autumncrawl is a hamlet with a population of 20 lead by Archibald Craftedcovers who is a devout follower of Mishos, a deity of lakes and coasts and entitled herself as Ordo Castrum.  Archibald’s rule is supported by her lover, Imic Councilstaff, a self proclaimed Adeptus Masonus, and follower of Mishos.

The family of Sanctume Brassaqua with his wife Atir and only living daughter Atir joins Autumncrawl in summer 250.  Three years ago, his adult daughter Ablel was murdered by an the elf Thiliri Spokencactus who was abducted by the goblins at the age of five back in 233.

Spoiler: 05 History Sanctume (click to show/hide)

--

Time has long past the moon's setting, and bright sun streaks intrude onto the chalk tables of the library as if depicting a prison cell, yet these dark omens are ignored by the hooded scholar who continues writing on the gold bound tome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16