Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblins in my Garden of Gaia?!?  (Read 2150 times)

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins in my Garden of Gaia?!?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »

Greeting, fellow humans!  I've pored over the maps and picked what I consider a nice place to found a fledgling fort.

We're in the middle of The Hell of Crying territory, a short distance to the north east of Scourplagues where Omrist Grizzlyterror rules from his spire.  I'll let our narrator take it from here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My name is Fyrwen.  I'm a lore-keeper for the Splattered Confederacies.  The history of The Garden of Gaia is as complex as the unplanned offspring of a soap opera and greek mythology, so people like me can make a living just trying to make rational sense of any of it.  I've collected ballads, myths, and wild surmises my entire life and am generally regarded as sagacious by my peers.  I suppose it was for this reason that I was chosen to lead an expidition of unorthodox purpose.

I am to lead six of my fellows to the heart of goblin territory, start a trade outpost, and bribe a demonic goblin king into becoming our ally.  I'll admit that it's not a bad strategy, Omrist may be evil, but by demon or overseer standards he's kind of a good guy.  I do object to being the one to do it, with impressively colorful imagry if I do say so myself.  The manager of Nuditypiss pointed out that my tendency to speak my mind is precicely the reason I was chosen to begin with.  So screw him and screw this place.

Next up I meet with my co-founders.  (All but Fyrwen are up for grabs, btw)

This guy is thick, in a couple senses, though at least he knows his limitations.  He'll be our head miner.  When we don't need digging he can also learn stone-crafting and masonry.  Perhaps he'll have his chance to make his 'art.'

We're lucky to have a smith's guild apprentice coming with us.  He's strong, agile, and all around impressive.  Sadly we will not have the resources for smithing for some time.  In the mean time he will cut down trees to turn into coal.  He'll be geting a gaurd animal as well.

The next woman is decently agile, which may help her dodge wildlife while she's cutting down all the trees ever.  Later I may train her in hunting.  She'll also be responsible for training her own animal to gaurd her as she works.

A tannner's guild member is handy.  Eventually we may train him as a hunter.  For now he will be providing food and clothing.

This guy has a bad attitude, but consider the source I guess.  I make him a miner pretty much 'cuz I want two.

Our last applicant is a bubbling cauldron of anger.  She'll be a trader, which should get us some good deals.  She'll also be our doctor, which should cut down on the number of sick people.  Plus she'll probably have no problem slicing people up if needed.

Next we focus on our supplies.  Our manager explains that as there's a decent chance that we'll fail spectaculary, we can only be outfitted with what The Splattered Confederacies can afford to lose.  Neat!

So I pick the essentials and we are ready to head out.

To Reasondeath!  Strike the earth!

Two weeks later we arrive!

Huh.  There seem to be tents set up around the place.  Hey, who's that?

Oh.  Hello?

Ok, all set to get this game started.  Hopefully I'll be able to cope with that overlord.  I'll play a few months before I get the next update up, unless something interesting happens.  If anyone wants one of the humans feel free to claim one and I can work it into the next post.  Just let me know who you want, what you want to name them, and choose a couple personality quirks for me to play up.

Cheers!

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 12:10:59 am »

Gelu, the angry doctor has been claimed and shall henceforth be known as Dr. Winston.

15th Granite, 100

We arrive at our chosen site.  The cavern is a dependable landmark, and right where the map indicates. 

The land here is rather flat, giving us a good view of the territory.  The first thing we notice is that several large pig-tail tents have been pitched in the vicinity.  My first thought was actually, "Neat!  That'll save a lot of time building living space."

My brain kicked in quickly, and I sighted a figure standing among the bubbly bulbs.

Thep hissed, actually hissed and said, "It's an orc!"

Dr. Winston went for one of the axes on the wagon, but I intercepted her, "Easy now," I told her, "he's unarmed."

"So what do we do?" Mastrosp asked.  Everyone was looking at me.

"Let's go say hello."  And so the seven of us did.

The orc looked up from the pond as we aprroached, he was half again as large as Mastrosp and his mouth was crowded by large tusks.  He audibly sniffed the air as he surveyed us each in turn, "Human?"

"Greetings, we are indeed the humans of The Splattered Confederacies.  Who might you be?"  I responded.

"Me Latugdur.  Overlord of der animals.  What you do here?"

"Well," I looked awkwardly at my crew.  "We were looking to settle here.  We didn't know that the land belonged to you."

"Land not belong to Latugdur."

"Oh?  Who does it belong to?"

"Land belong to all who can feel der transcendant awe dat de land inspires."

"That's...nice.  So, you don't mind if we build our home here?"

"Course not.  Feel free to use der tents.  Latugdur be here, contemplating humbling majesty of creation."

Nothing on Gaia is as it seems, I am reminded.

So we set to it.  Rozmo and Jepum, the woodcutters, train two of our wargs in war.  The dogs now follow their trainers at all time.  I caution the loggers not to get too attached.  I train a bitch of my own.  The last warg will be kept safe in the pasture to provide the next generation.

Rozmo also reckons that the kodo which pulled our wagon here can handle battle.  I let her attempt it.

I notice that there are a fair amount of spider webs around.  I decide to build a loom and harvest the silk.  Once we set up our market, the silk will be a nice source of gold.

The worgs are soon trained.  I ask Rozmo and Jepum to cut down the trees, all 503 of them.

"Did you...count them?"  Rozmo asks, "How?"

"Just do it."  I take a deep breath, "Please."

Next I have Thep construct a carpentry work shop and begin building some beds.  The tents will be a huge time savings.  One I designate as a barracks, one a mess hall, one for storage, and the last as my office.

4th Slate, 100

It turns out that through an obscure legal loophole, tents do not count as 'indoors.'  It would therefor be against regulations to use them as living space. 

We'll need to build our own houses, and begin doing so with our growing wood supply.  I also miners turning our stone into blocks.  Once they've done that, we will designate a mine shaft to find more.

I notice that some campfires have popped up around the tents.

I contemplate the troubling possibility that Latugdur is pyrokinetic.

Next we wall off the entrance to the caverns.  Eventually it will make for excellent combat training as well as provide access to resources.  For now we need neither.

15th Felsite, 100

Rains have begun to fall most days.  Luckily we have finished our little wooden hut and can sleep indoors.  We begin work on the second floor which will be out dining room.

Then we set up our first merchant stall and begin selling our silk.

Next we set up a butchery and tannery.  We're running low on food, so we butcher our water buffalo.

Two months have past and the mood here is pretty high.  The wild life is unthreatening.  The orc is confusing, but friendly, and we have established a start toward self sufficiency.

Next we'll need to set up a trade depot.  We must also attract migrants and work toward training and arming them.  We have not been threatened yet, but it is inevitable that we will be.

1st Hematite, 100

It is now summer.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:59:53 pm »

Cool!  I really enjoy Kenom the Peasant.  Interested in creating a masterpeice and clumsy.

I think he would make an excellent farmer/hauler/miner, especially with that likes working outdoors thing loner thing he's got going.  I wouldn't mind ahumaning that one.

~Yami.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:07:46 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 01:25:53 pm »

Welcome aboard! I'll hume Yami, and I'll try to get an update up later today.

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:14 pm »

Hello, all. Just wanted to let you know the thread isn't dieing. Events are occurring in the fort that hint at an epic tale unfolding. I'm playing ahead a bit and digging through legends. I want to make sure I've got the narrative locked down so I can properly foreshadow. Thanks to everyone who's been reading. Stay tuned.
Pages: 1 [2]