Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6  (Read 40989 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [4/5]
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 07:30:41 am »

Let's call her Magellan-class for the convenience of port authorities across space. She's a fine ship and deserves to be named after a man who went nearly around a planet once (if only we could replicate such a feat in our own right).

It was fate, really - when Jim bought the thing off the used ship lot he was momentarily at a loss on what to rename her, but then suddenly saw a fine, much more expensive Magellan-class vessel parked further in and knew instantly what he had to aspire to one day, and chose to memorialize it in the name of this corvette.

Well, either that or we can call her HMS YOU'RE NEXT, with that specific capitalization, commemorating a piece of graffiti Jim saw in a public restroom earlier that day.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:36:36 am by Harry Baldman »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:42 am »

I vote for calling it HMS YOU'RE NEXT  :P
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 08:32:25 am »

I say the HMS Autolycus, as Autolycus was the grandfather of Hercules, a powerful hero, much like the ship will be our first step on the journey to power. Autolycus was also a great thief, and I assume at some point we'll probably dip into piracy.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 08:38:20 am »

Insert witty signature here

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 08:44:24 am »

I say the HMS Autolycus, as Autolycus was the grandfather of Hercules, a powerful hero, much like the ship will be our first step on the journey to power. Autolycus was also a great thief, and I assume at some point we'll probably dip into piracy.

On one hand, Greek mythology is the dullest source for sci-fi naming schemes, possibly only rivaled by Norse mythology.

Spoiler: On the other hand... (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the HMS YOU'RE NEXT it is! The HMS part is optional but highly recommended - I picture a lot of ships have HMS in their name due to being registered in some kind of ship tax haven that's a tiny planetoid kingdom off in the ass end of space, or at least ours does for that specific reason.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2017, 09:37:45 am »

Does our crew know about Edwin's backstory? I was about to suggest that we could make our first mission finding a cure for his curse, but I'm not sure if he could even communicate his dilemma to us. He can't talk after all, and his low intelligence and inability to count leads me to believe that he might be illiterate.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:37 am »

He's somewhat good at drawing.

EDIT: I guess he maybe could be slighty literate but has great difficulty reading and doesn't know what grammar is, if a word is too hard to understand like "diplomacy" he won't be able to. Other things like "loot" or "kill" are easier because they are short and simple. 2-3 syllabes max, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:27:43 am by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 12:03:35 pm »

Turn will be posted in roughly 10h.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:12 pm »

Thomas looks at the words "HMS YOU'RE NEXT" on the side of the ship and visibly sighs, thinking about what his life has come to. Well, at least these probably aren't the sort of people who pay attention to the news, he thinks. Actually, I'm surprised they managed to get the right spelling of "you're". They probably copied it from somewhere.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:22 pm »

("you're" is now included in the list of words Starbeard does not understand.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 08:17:00 pm »

Turn 0: The Crew

Current Location: The Hub (Space Station)

You are currently in the Emelus II system, under the protection of the Galactic Alliance.

Galactic Alliance (common knowledge): the biggest alliance of the galaxy, gathering many people from the stars (humans are, of course, a part of it). The alliance is a force to be reckoned with, but far from all powerful. Security is instantly lessened in less important systems, and there are many, many threats in space that require their full attention.

The Hub (common knowledge): a massive space station located near the Em II Jump Gate. With one of the largest shipyards of the alliance, it is a common crossing point for spacefarers. Nearly everything made in the Alliance can be found there.

(note: Humans are not unified under a single government. The same goes for many spacefaring people.)

None of you are well versed in the knowledge of the galaxy. Very few are, as there are far too many things to discover...

Jim stepped into the hangar G-56. He scratched proudly at his captain licence worn in a necklace, and looked at the Honesty-class Corvette that was now his. These words blazed across the hull of the Honesty: HMS YOU'RE NEXT.

What a perfect name for a mighty fine vessel such as her, he thought as his chest filled with pride. Using his claw drone, he looked once again at the captain's licence. They butchered the photo a bit, but apart from this inconvenient detail, it was all fine.

Loud steps echoed behind him, instantly breaking his reverie. "Ah... right. My shipmates."

Edwin was at the front, the most loud, yet the least talkative one. The rowdy "privateer" looked at the ship with eyes burning with excitement.
Right behind him were Katerina, who seemed just a bit less rowdy than Edwin, and Thomas, clad in a foldless suit and walking with an upright stance.
And last, was... that thing. What was that again. It was called Sneed.

That was his crew, and coincidentally co-owners of the ship. He didn't want to remember that day, this whole day that felt like a scam. Oh well, he was well past that now. The future was ahead, and beyond.

The five future spacefarers entered the HMS YOU'RE NEXT in a succession, with Thomas entering last, he took some time to admire the inspired name of the vessel. He sighed before entering.

Booting up the systems, firing up the reactor, they prepared for take off. As the ship woke up from her slumber, a voice blared across the ship.

"WELCOME BACK CAPTAIN BARKLEY. ALL SYSTEMS ONLINE, ENERGY RESERVES 100%, THE WEATHER IS OPTIMAL FOR A TRIP AND THE FERGAS CORPORATION OFFERS A 20% REDUCTION TO NEW CAPTAINS BUYING FROM THE FERGAS SHIPYARDS. THANK YOU VALUED CUSTOMER."

Someone turned the volume down to an acceptable level. That was the ship's crude AI, which was named FAI-T7BAAU33. You could probably rename it, or leave it as that.

Spoiler: Crew Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HMS YOU'RE NEXT Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Emelus System Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:25:42 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5]
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 08:17:19 pm »

Traveling in space:
-Power: Your ship's energy reserves. Most ship actions cost power, and your ship will be disabled for a while if your power reaches 0. Replenishes over time.

-Jumping:
You can jump from hex to hex, one jump costs 20 Power with your current engines.
Attempting a long jump, to travel from systems to systems will consume 5 normal jumps at once.

-Jump Gates:
Going through a Jump Gate costs no power. They are not limited to a single destination.

Edit: I forgot, you may look for missions or odd job on the Galactic Channel or something. It's not like you are cut off from the world in your ship.

edit: OP updated.
edit2: Forgot your funds, added them to the Crew Status. Sorry for the oversight!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:44:38 pm by Nakéen »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:30 pm »

Katerina locates her quarters without a word spent to the other crewmembers, then looks for a terminal to access the galactic network of information, whatever they call the space internet.
She browses for news of wars or sectors with high piracy.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 11:32:33 pm »

"So, did anyone get any leads for missions on the station?" asks Thomas. "If not, I'll check the Galactic Channel. We need a job soon if we want to be able to pay off the cost of the ship and have money set aside for maintenance, to say nothing of making a profit."

Thomas will probably start checking the Galactic Channel for missions regardless of what anyone says.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:15 am »

"Ah, friends! Shall we set off? There's so much to discover!" Sneed says cheerfully while pointing one of its tentacles toward the stars. "We could investigate the mysteries of the Storblarte Nebula. Or navigate through the Fergas Asteroid Field. Or maybe even...go beyond the limits of known space into the unknown! Ooh! I'm so excited! I'm gonna get ready right away!" As Sneed slides deeper into the ship, it lets out a gleeful alien squeal comparable to nails on a chalkboard.

"So, did anyone get any leads for missions on the station?" asks Thomas. "If not, I'll-"
"Missions? Adventure is our mission!" Sneed says eagerly, cutting Thomas off. Sneed continues forth, oblivious to the group's economic needs.

Rush further into the ship and perform basic maintenance procedures and safety checks. Make sure everything is in working order and ready for take off when necessary.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:54:06 am by GigaGiant »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21