Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6  (Read 41072 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5]
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

"Weaselly lawyer boy can pay the fine. I will not be spending my valuable credits on this maniac's mistakes."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:33 am »

but Starbeard shoot gun so Starbeard not dumb to use guns
moment ago Starbeard shoot gun so can use gun and destroy enemy just like hangar

how does engine work? Starbeard no know because no tech smart but combat smart

Starbeard know use of weapon, not tools because Starbeard is warrior.

dog should work engine if dog think Starbeard too stupid to use gun

Stabread still think is blob fault for call cop in first place and if blob not tell cop we now in space instead of pay money
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:51 am »

"No, rhe trouble was that you used rhe turret to try and kill Sneed rhand then damn well missed, which doesn't rhexactly speak to your rhabilities and put us 25k credits in the hole, rhand if we had tried to fly out of the hangar rhas you suggest, we would all be dead instead."

"Suppose rhyou can be the janitor instead if engineering doesn't suit you, but it's either one of those or a summary dismissal for you at this point. You're bloody-minded, impulsive, drunk and mostly useless at this point, rhand while I am a patient dog, there's rhonly so much of you being a liability that I can take. So that's the offer you get, take it or go and get yourself killed somewhere else."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2017, 10:27:18 am »

Starbeard no janitor because ship just end with more blood
Starbeard no hate dog but only obey order that make sense
Starbeard janitor? stupid because Starbeard is warrior not clean man

Starbeard good pilot have pilot ship for many year Starbeard want be pilot if can not be gunner
Starbeard pilot? smart choice

give Starbeard job he is good at

or Starbeard can be guard because strong
protect frail dog from bad people
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:30:37 am by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:01 am »

"Compelling argument! And rhappreciable effort at dialogue! The pilot's chair is yours then, Mr. Starbeard, rhon the rhexplicit condition that you are not to ram the ship rhinto things no matter how good of an idea it seems at the time."

"That said, Sneed is still strongly discouraged from touching the engine in any way."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:23 am »

thanks captain

After this, Starbeard pockets his marker then prepares to pilot the ship.

While it was hard for him to adapt to a non-criminal life, he was not going to lose his crew yet again. A crew is like a family for him, but anyone who hurts the crew in any way possible doesn't deserve to be part of it, like Sneed, who called the authorities on them. Sneed was a traitor, but if the captain wanted to give him a second chance like he did with him, he was also going to.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:03:54 am by randomgenericusername »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:54 am »

Katerina furrowed her brow at all the mentions of Sneed and the engine. Out of all the crew members so far, Sneed was the only one she didn't completely understand yet. With that thought in mind, she approached Sneed, crossed her arms, and tried to think of a question to start with.

"Does a creature like you breathe oxygen?"

It was an absolutely random question, but it was all she could think of on the spot.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »

Sneed frowned as it listened to the conversation. Though it was encouraging to see everyone insult each other and embrace Space Pirate cultural norms, Sneed felt out of its element. Thinking up snappy remarks was a struggle. Sneed underestimated how difficult it would be. Yet, the rest of the crew could throw them out just fine. They clearly had more experience with that kind of thing. Sneed's planned retorts were weak in comparison. It dawned on Sneed that it wasn't going to be able to come up with good material on its own. More research would be required. Sneed made a mental note to do additional study into the basic philosophy and application of insults.

"Starbeard rhis reassigned to the rhengine room to be co-engineer with Sneed where rhey'll try and compensate for rheach other's troubling deficiencies."
"Compelling argument! And rhappreciable effort at dialogue! The pilot's chair is yours then, Mr. Starbeard, rhon the rhexplicit condition that you are not to ram the ship rhinto things no matter how good of an idea it seems at the time."

"That said, Sneed is still strongly discouraged from touching the engine in any way."

Sneed took note of its assignment. Simply linger around in the engine room and don't touch anything? Sneed's frown turned to an eager smile.

"Will do, captain! You can count on me!"

It would have the easiest job of the entire crew! What a delight! Sneed could just lounge around while waiting for the adventures to start. Just like Sneed imagined it would be!

Katerina furrowed her brow at all the mentions of Sneed and the engine. Out of all the crew members so far, Sneed was the only one she didn't completely understand yet. With that thought in mind, she approached Sneed, crossed her arms, and tried to think of a question to start with.

"Does a creature like you breathe oxygen?"

It was an absolutely random question, but it was all she could think of on the spot.

"A fine question, fellow crew member Katerina! Like all Slimeons, I too am capable of 'breathing' oxygen. Though, many of us favor other gases. Nitrogen is a common favorite. I personally prefer Fluorine. It helps my body stay pleasantly viscous, yet still retain its slimy texture. But unlike other Slimeons, I do have a strong distaste for Radon. While being able to glow in the dark is nice sometimes, I just don't like the feeling of sluggishness it brings with it. Oh, and of course, I don't dare mess with Neon. After the great massacre of 8472 S.E., it was banned by the Slimeon government, and rightly so."

Seeing this opportunity to strengthen its bond with Katerina, Sneed posed a question of its own.

"Ah, but I shouldn't hog this conversation. Tell me, Katerina, what is your favorite gas to breathe?"

Make small talk.
Insert witty signature here

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2017, 02:06:34 pm »

"I'll try to dispute the fine, if I can," says Thomas. "Most of the time, you can get a reduction in a fine if you dispute it. And, since it's seems we've already paid most of it, they might be willing to waive the last 5k credits."

Thomas straightens his tie and hands his bottle of whiskey to Katerina.

"Here, guard this for me while I'm gone. You can have some if you want, but don't give any to the space pirate."

Thomas will go try to dispute the fine and get the last 5k credits waived, or failing that, just pay the fine.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »

"I generally prefer the sweet taste of oxygen, with a little nitrogen mixed in. The terraformer on my home world pumped out those gases in sweet, optimal quantities. Those gases course through my veins, giving me the unique ability to not die."

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2017, 02:50:16 pm »

"I'll try to dispute the fine, if I can," says Thomas. "Most of the time, you can get a reduction in a fine if you dispute it. And, since it's seems we've already paid most of it, they might be willing to waive the last 5k credits."

Thomas straightens his tie and hands his bottle of whiskey to Katerina.

"Here, guard this for me while I'm gone. You can have some if you want, but don't give any to the space pirate."

Thomas will go try to dispute the fine and get the last 5k credits waived, or failing that, just pay the fine.

"Farewell, friend Thomas! May your vast legal knowledge and well dressed attire win you the hearts of the authorities! I'm confident that you will find success in your endeavors!"

"I generally prefer the sweet taste of oxygen, with a little nitrogen mixed in. The terraformer on my home world pumped out those gases in sweet, optimal quantities. Those gases course through my veins, giving me the unique ability to not die."

"Fascinating! Tell me more about your home world. I've heard humans and numerous other species have something called 'families'. Is that correct? What's that like?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2017, 02:53:09 pm »

Katerina's eyes darken at the mention of family, and she clamps her jaw shut, before offering a curt reply.

"My home was beautiful. Now it is a wasteland. I wouldn't know much about family."

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »

Katerina's eyes darken at the mention of family, and she clamps her jaw shut, before offering a curt reply.

"My home was beautiful. Now it is a wasteland. I wouldn't know much about family."
"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that your planet was ruined. That's quite sad."

Sneed, realizing that Katerina might be depressed, thought about what it could do to cheer her up. If only Katerina was a Slimeon, then the solution would have been obvious. Sneed would simply insert two tentacles into her mouth, maneuver the tentacles through her operculum flap, and then tickle her respiratory cavity. That would cheer any Slimeon up! Unfortunately, that simple trick doesn't work with other species, as Sneed was surprised to learn. Thankfully, ruptured livers can be fixed by modern surgical procedures. Otherwise, Sneed probably wouldn't be here today.

"Ah, now I'm curious. How do humans cope with sadness?"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:44:00 pm by GigaGiant »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »

"Alcohol. Which I've conveniently come into possession of."

Katerina takes a swig of the whiskey.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »

Turn 5: Finally, the start of the adventure

[Space Lawyer +2 / Intelligence +3]: [1] -Critical Failure- (Damn, that's not a joke)

Thomas left the ship to dispute the fine in person, that would be faster. With a baggage such as his in hand, that would be an easy task. He entered the security post they just came from, and set to work.

He left the office dejected. Bastard, he thought to himself. He had faced what could have been called a living embodiment of police corruption, coupled with actual law knowledge. This officer, who was called R. Goron, had managed to use the situation to his advantage, doubling the amount of fine left to pay. Instead of 5000 credits, he had to pay 10000 credits.

Well, no one would knew.

Fine payed, time to sail!

The security setup:

Katerina and Thomas have access to all crew-relevant systems (which excludes the security grid that I'm in charge of).
Sneed and Starbeard don't have weapons access, but can work in engineering together instead (with AI oversight).

Once the two remaining crew members work out what portion of the fine they'll cover, set off to Gavarle!

The crew agreed to the following setup, for now:

Captain: Jim. J Barkley
Pilot / Navigator: Edwin 'Starbeard' Tex
Systems Operators: Katerina, Thomas Whitney
Ship's Boy: Sneed the 38th

Obviously such positions were not fixed, and could be subject to change if the situation asked for it. But having roles assigned to everyone managed to give a semblance of order to this crew of misfits.

Starbeard sat at the pilot's seat, finally feeling home knowing the ship's helm was in his hands. As navigating and piloting in this known system was a trivial task, he assumed both positions at once.
Katerina and Thomas managed the various systems of the ship. Sensors, shield power, atmosphere composition and gravity management... Katerina already had some experience in that field. Thomas had none, but the presence of the AI was a godsend.
And finally Sneed was perfectly content observing -and learning- from the others.

Thus Jim, on the prestigious captain's seat, barksaid: "To Gavarle!"

As in answer, the ship's AI repeated the destination.
"Coordinates locked, destination: Gavarle"

The HMS YOU'RE NEXT's engines roared, and our crew's ship finally took off from the hangar. The control centre of the Hub spaceport sent the various instructions needed to properly and orderly leave the landing areas. The ship slowly flew through a virtual path sent by the space traffic controllers.

They stopped to a halt, as a massive Bodacious-class Battlecruiser flew in front of them. The name of this formidable vessel blazed at the bow "ADN Meria", ADN standing for Alliance Defense Navy. It was joining up with a fleet of Galactic Alliance military ships. You wondered what was their destination, you guessed it was definitely for peacekeeping purposes though. Only Starbeard seemed a bit uneasy seeing this powerful ship.

With the way finally clear, you left the Hub. Once in proper distance of the station, Starbeard initiated the jump. Excitement was rising in the ship as space around the ship began to distort...
-40 Power

New Location: Gavarle, Capital Planet of the Emelus II System

The two jumps were performed in quick succession, not letting the ship recover its energy. You were now flying over Gavarle, and started approaching the planet's geosynchronous spaceport, connected to the ground with a space elevator.

After getting proper clearance, you landed in a hangar of the spaceport.

Power fully recovered

Spoiler: Crew Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HMS YOU'RE NEXT Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Emelus System Map (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21