Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Power and Pulse: Crimson Sky  (Read 36801 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Power and Pulse: Crimson Sky
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »

LORE!

6 centuries ago, your people left their home, which was once called Earth, though now you tend to just refer to it as "Homeworld", because it turns out most of the people in the universe like to call their planet earth. This exodus was accomplished by building a very large spaceship powered by mostly griffon blood.
The reason why they decided to leave, ironically, was because they had nearly run out of griffon blood. These days, your people enjoy a decent surplus of griffon blood, as well as dragon, chimera, minotaur, hydra, and sandworm blood, among other types.

The upshot is this: you live on a great big space ship with a jump drive powered by the blood of exotic and dangerous magical creatures, or more accurately the Arcane Substance found within that blood. Each jump brings you to a new world, and new Arcane Beasts to hunt, for more Arcane, for more jumps. Also at each new world is a new strain of Humanity, as unlike the expectations of your ancient forebears, this universe is full of humans, and somewhat conspicuously absent any other intelligent alien species.
These people are invariably either too primitive to make good use of Arcane, or have destroyed their own civilization at some point in the past, and are in no condition to travel the stars themselves. It's unsurprising, then, that many of these people join your little nomad civilization, indeed, it's likely that you're a descendant of some tribals, rather than purely the humans of "homeworld". Perhaps you were even a tribal yourself before signing up to travel the stars aboard the Rose's Relief.
It should be noted that this ship is not the only one that left Homeworld. There have even been a few newer ships launched by Homeworlders from other planets. However, due to the rare and limited nature of Arcane, each ship travels on its own, and when two meet on the same planet by chance, conflict is likely. Such conflicts are usually resolved by the use of Powered Bipedal Armor, fueled by Arcane. Or, as they are more commonly called, Mechs.

Now then, on to this particular world. Every other system in living memory and on written record follows the same pattern; a few lifeless worlds orbiting a star, and one living world inhabited by plants, animals, humans, and Arcane Beasts. This world, however, is different. Here, there is no sign of any Arcane Beasts on the surface, only numerious human tribes. This is, obviously, very concerning, as a lack of beasts means a lack of arcane, and a lack of arcane means no way to leave this system. Then, a discovery. The humans of this world hold Arcane Substance in their blood. This is even more concerning, because it means you'll have to kill some humans and steal their blood to power your jump drive.

ALTERNATIVELY!

The history of Earth largely revolves around the city of Xeniga. This is the biggest and most advanced city on the whole world. While most of the world lives in villages and mut huts, Xeniga is a bastion of concrete, steel, and glass. Many very valuable things are produced here, such as radio transceivers, handheld computers, and of course, weapons. Naturally, this means that the city is a valuable target for invasion by whatever tribes don't own it, and it's changed hands many, many times.
In such conflicts, the biggest assets are people like you; mages. While it's known that all people have the spark of Mana within them, the Mages are those with a greater command of the magical force at their disposal, allowing them to perform various great feats like... like killing a bunch of people. And fighting other mages. Let's be honest, if you have this kind of power, you're gonna use it for violence or get violenced yourself.
And so with blade, bow, machinegun and cudgel you fight for Xaniga, or at least for its current owners. Despite the fact that Xaniga changes hands so often, life within the city will usually stay fairly stable, and this is where most mages learn their art. Many of them are more attached to the city itself, and will fight wars for whoever happens to own it at the time. The tribes can't argue much with this sort of flip-flopping, because at least they know WHEN you'll switch sides, and arguing with a mage usually doesn't end well for anyone.

Rumors have been filtering in recently of a large metal object which fell from the sky. Some people have said that metal men and metal man-shaped-ish things are running around nearby. You've gone to the nearest village, Danei, to investigate.

What? I don't understand!

Okay, here's the version of that without all the fancy words: Magic space people in mech suits fell from the stars and want to suck all the blood out of the magic not-space mage people. This is so that they can power up their jump drive and leave this system for a place with hopefully better hunting options. Yes, one of those types of people came from space, but they're both humans. The same species, if you ever care to make that relevant (please don't). This, is broad terms, means that those two teams of people need to murder each other and suck the magic juices out to become more powerful.

You get to be either a mech dude/lady or a mage dude/lady. This means that you get to murder other, real-life players and eat their magic juices. Exciting!

Fill out one of the character sheets below. You're probably more likely to get in if you join the side with fewer players. I probably want about six players, but more or less is fine.
Rolls are your regular 1d6, like your normal RTD. Results of actions may depend on the circumstance, so even with a 5 you can't punch through a solid metal wall with your bare hands. Unless you're the class which actually can do that, hmm.
If I deem success or failure especially likely (such as if you have an attribute relevant to the action), I may roll two dice and take the higher/lower/whichever is funnier.
I reserve the right to cheat at rolls as much as I like if I think it'll make for a funner game.

Spoiler: Mage sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mech Pilot sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mage classes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mech classes (click to show/hide)

Mission 1 started here

Deaths:
Malcolm "Romeo" Vertix: Heart stopped due to catastrophic brain damage from magic.
Malabus: Mind totally lost due to catastrophic brain damage from magic.
Rico: Flashbanged self, got vaporized by friendly fire.
Razan: Got shredded by friendly fire, body got vaporized by other friendly fire.
Thomas: Eaten by magic.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:23:05 am by Egan_BW »
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Power and Pulse
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:58 pm »

Spoiler: Hahahaha!  FIRST! (click to show/hide)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:19:03 pm »

Spoiler: X4-18 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:24:00 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:46:01 pm »

Spoiler: Fisher (click to show/hide)

Now then, this is interesting. Does Fisher ever remove his mask? If so, what does he look like? Surely unless he sleeps in the thing his comrades will know what he looks like. If he doesn't take off his mask, why? Does he have disfiguring scars that he wants to hide? Is the overly paranoid about chemical weapons in the air? Was he a cloned super-soldier, made specifically to be faceless?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »

Name: Donnel Adderson
Class: Weaponmaster
Appearance: Pale skinned with brown eyes tinged with sea green, and messy brown hair with a goatee. He is average sized but on the thin side muscle-wise. He typically wears a gray and tunic and trouser pair with his spirit animal, an octopus, embroidered in green on the back.
Mana: 3/3
Push: 0/0
Attributes
Quick witted, no downside
Medic, Merciful
Advancements: None yet.
Inventory: Soulbound steel buckler shield with razor sharp edges
Steel chainmail hauberk
steel-wood quarterstaff
medical supplies
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:01:14 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:05:32 pm »

Definitely interested. Can you get more than one negative attribute? Or is there a way to get attributes later on?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:20 pm »

You can, if you wish, start with two negative attributes and one positive one. One of the random rewards for leveling up is also extra attributes, which could be negative if you really want them so much. ;P

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 12:20:45 am »

Spoiler: Fisher (click to show/hide)

Now then, this is interesting. Does Fisher ever remove his mask? If so, what does he look like? Surely unless he sleeps in the thing his comrades will know what he looks like. If he doesn't take off his mask, why? Does he have disfiguring scars that he wants to hide? Is the overly paranoid about chemical weapons in the air? Was he a cloned super-soldier, made specifically to be faceless?

The clone idea sounds cool, I'll change my name to X4-18. Thanks for the idea!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:23:15 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:48:52 am »

Interested in making a mage, sheet to be edited in.
Spoiler: Tanya (click to show/hide)
Was thinking hard about making a rather different character, still might. could you explain what spiritual actually does as an attribute? or is it kinda up to me to tie it in to the character? ( I can do that with no problem)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:09:08 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 05:26:51 am »

Ptw likely join.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 01:53:24 pm »

Interested in making a mage, sheet to be edited in.
Spoiler: Tanya (click to show/hide)
Was thinking hard about making a rather different character, still might. could you explain what spiritual actually does as an attribute? or is it kinda up to me to tie it in to the character? ( I can do that with no problem)

Sure. Spiritual will benefit you when you act in a manner similar to your spirit animal, and in cases where you directly summon it using magic, like if you used Selfshifting to give yourself canine teeth to bite someone. It's a little vague, because the exact benefit depends on the animal.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »

Then provide an example for us: how would an octopus spirit animal provide a benefit to a shifter? How would a fox provide benefit to a weaponmaster?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:33 pm »

The octopus will probably make you more dexterous and flexible, fox will be more fast and ambushy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 04:14:57 pm »

Spoiler: Thomas (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 06:12:29 pm »

Not sure if I like that one of your attributes directly makes up for the downside of another. I'm fine with having improved senses for a positive, but could you pick something else for a negative?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22