Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is It Possible To Assist in the Development of DF?  (Read 1531 times)

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
Is It Possible To Assist in the Development of DF?
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:18:39 am »

Hey there!

I'm new to the game and I love it so far, I've probably put in more than 70 hours in the past week alone. That being said, I am also going off to college to learn software development here in August, and I already have some skill in Object-Oriented languages like C# (and I know DF is developed in C++ and OpenGL or something like that). I was wondering if anyone (or even He, Himself) knew if I could aid in the development of the game at all?

I wouldn't expect any pay, it would be more of a resume/portfolio project to be honest.

Thanks in advance!
hehe i became a girl

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Possible To Assist in the Development of DF?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:21:00 pm »

Donating money is the only way you can assist, I'm afraid.

Toady doesn't want to collaborate on the project for various reasons.  I believe he's taken advice for bug fixes from some of those that have disassembled the game and built tools like DFHack, but that's as far as it goes these days.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:23:03 pm »

If I recall correctly, the two of them would rather keep it as a project between the two of them. They do have a Patreon, though.

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:41 pm »

Understood!

Thanks for the quick response. It's too bad; I would love to be a part of the project, though I understand if they don't want anyone else working on it. It's got to have some sentimental value as a bonding element.
hehe i became a girl

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »

You could contribute to DFHack. That's sort of helping the game, as far as making it more playable to some.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:54 pm »

You could contribute to DFHack. That's sort of helping the game, as far as making it more playable to some.

Seconded. Making anything for the community would be nice; and if you want to code, this is the best option.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:01:20 am »

Understood!

Thanks for the quick response. It's too bad; I would love to be a part of the project, though I understand if they don't want anyone else working on it. It's got to have some sentimental value as a bonding element.

That and they also have a very specific vision for what they want DF to be. Having too many developers with conflicting ideas on how to make the game better would inevitably interfere with that.

Not to make them sound inflexible or closed-minded, they still take rigorous note of fan suggestions and input, but in the end it's very much their decision as to which suggestions do and don't get implemented.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:06:07 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.