Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What actually makes DF great  (Read 10087 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What actually makes DF great
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 08:51:54 pm »

I doubt we will muscle up enough computing power for that until the 2170s, yeah. Although, as DF is Turing complete, everything is doable even now, but it's very very slow.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:00:10 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2018, 04:31:15 am »

The sheer amount of possibilities in the game world, and the limitless things you can do.

[...]

And, with constant progress being made on the game by Toady, if you ever stop playing for a little while there will (usually) be a new feature to play around with when you come back.

Definitely these.

For me it's also not so much what happens on screen, but all the stories that pop into my head while playing (and even after that). The ASCII graphics is a bit like reading a book and imagining what everything really looks like, so basically DF looks much better in my head than any other game. 8)

I can't think of any other game from the 2000's that has inspired me as much as Dwarf Fortress with my creative projects.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 04:36:51 am »

The sheer amount of possibilities in the game world, and the limitless things you can do.

[...]

And, with constant progress being made on the game by Toady, if you ever stop playing for a little while there will (usually) be a new feature to play around with when you come back.

Definitely these.

For me it's also not so much what happens on screen, but all the stories that pop into my head while playing (and even after that). The ASCII graphics is a bit like reading a book and imagining what everything really looks like, so basically DF looks much better in my head than any other game. 8)

I can't think of any other game from the 2000's that has inspired me as much as Dwarf Fortress with my creative projects.
This is why I prefer ASCII graphics when possible. A brain is the best graphics card.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 07:02:33 am »

[...]

Definitely these.

This is why I prefer ASCII graphics when possible. A brain is the best graphics card.

Agreed. Just Say No to tilesets.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »

https://i.redditmedia.com/eO9esj1JIaBXt7urxB7pCO3UsArgR-HikzVtBd_UnWE.png?s=c8c963664b86c5601e83b6aeaee20845

Fun fact: dwarves were supposed to get this thought since the very first version of Dwarf Fortress was released nearly 12 years ago, but it never worked quite right. If you're actually seeing it now, it means bug #5843 might have actually gotten fixed.

This made me happy, there are still mysteries to discover.
let

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 02:43:10 am »

[...]

Definitely these.

Agreed. Just Say No to tilesets.

Do I have a problem if my OS uses the CLA "tileset" by default? I've gotten used to reading things with periods represented as giant half filed in boxes as a result.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:47:20 am by Admiral Obvious »
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]