Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?

(1/18) > >>

Archibald:
This topic comes from the General Discussions.

Guess I should start from the beginning.

Back when I was very young, there was this game called "Cultures 2: Northland". It was quite complex for a game that has been created in early 2000s. I was so amazed that it blew my mind. I could go as far as to call it the DF of the 2000s. Just to give few examples:

a) Each person (viking) in your settlement is an unit of its own, with the needs like hunger, sleep, talk and faith. Most of them are civilians that can become things like farmers, scouts or extractors (person who gathers goods like stone, wood, clay and mushrooms).

b) A civilian becomes a farmer. After they hit 100% exeprience, you unlock the mill. 100% exp there and you get the bakery and the well, since you need flour and water to make bread. Some 100% exp later you unlcok three buildings: upgraded bakery where you can make cakes (more effective than bread and hunger time is reduced), beehive and brewery where you make mead (which is basically a unit of food you can eat two times).

Few years later, I found Minecraft. After that, terraria.

In short, I started to like these sandbox-type games.

So one day of this year I went to tv tropes and then... WTF? What the hell is Dwarf Fortress? I give the page a read and then I see it...

Boatmurdered.

And from that day, I started playing Dwarf Fortress.

PlumpHelmetMan:
I also found out about DF through TV Tropes sometime last year, though I only actually decided to give it a try earlier this year and since then I've been unable to stop.

Azerty:

--- Quote from: Archibald on September 30, 2017, 12:21:20 pm ---This topic comes from the General Discussions.

Guess I should start from the beginning.

Back when I was very young, there was this game called "Cultures 2: Northland". It was quite complex for a game that has been created in early 2000s. I was so amazed that it blew my mind. I could go as far as to call it the DF of the 2000s. Just to give few examples:

a) Each person (viking) in your settlement is an unit of its own, with the needs like hunger, sleep, talk and faith. Most of them are civilians that can become things like farmers, scouts or extractors (person who gathers goods like stone, wood, clay and mushrooms).

b) A civilian becomes a farmer. After they hit 100% exeprience, you unlock the mill. 100% exp there and you get the bakery and the well, since you need flour and water to make bread. Some 100% exp later you unlcok three buildings: upgraded bakery where you can make cakes (more effective than bread and hunger time is reduced), beehive and brewery where you make mead (which is basically a unit of food you can eat two times).
--- End quote ---

It looks interesting. Where can I find this game?

--- Quote from: Archibald on September 30, 2017, 12:21:20 pm ---So one day of this year I went to tv tropes and then... WTF? What the hell is Dwarf Fortress? I give the page a read and then I see it...

Boatmurdered.

And from that day, I started playing Dwarf Fortress.
--- End quote ---

I too found about DF on TvTropes when finding about Mermaid farming around 2011 or no later than Summer 2012. I started to play the following Summer, when my courseload became lighter.

Archibald:
You can find it on Steam for 4.99 (7.99 if you buy it with the expansion "8th wonder of the world").

KittyTac:
Wait... Now I remember... I stumbled upon it when I was like what, 7? It was 2010 (I think) at the time and I couldn't figure out how to stop worldgen. But I remember the rough shape of part of the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version