Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 4321 times)

Dozeb˘m Lolumzalýs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic. Somebody was talking about Dwarf Fortress there, and I got interested. (I found Nethack through a Wikipedia "how cool are you" joke test, I think.)

I think I spent a little time trying and making a hodgepodge fortress that eventually got boring, stopped for a while, then came back and got involved in the Bay12 Forums, which helped to make DF more interesting for me.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: SalvanÚ Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
http://i64.tinypic.com/10mq1ok.jpg

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, baz, quux...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic.

((Newt jokes anyone?))
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

DaComputerNerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »

Personally, I discovered Dwarf Fortress through Dave Fayram and Lyinginbedmon. They did a thing where they tried an evil embark in Masterwork, and it was hilarious.

Dozeb˘m Lolumzalýs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 12:11:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic.

((Newt jokes anyone?))
Remember the time he got polymorphed into a newt?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: SalvanÚ Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
http://i64.tinypic.com/10mq1ok.jpg

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »

I think, when I was doing a research on minecraft...?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 07:41:56 pm »

Back in 2014 I was talkng to a work-friend about being bored with the games and also without time to play long-action games.
He said that he knew a game that I could play for like a half-hour a day and would be fine with my time-issue.
Turns out that I spent hours reading and watching tutorials about this game, and untill today I still do not full understand it, but it is fine because it is Dwarf Fortress.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:11 pm »

i don't remember when i first heard of dwarf fortress. it's like...it's always been there. a whisper just at the edge of hearing. like sunlight without the harshness. i reach out and feel it as it moves through everyone and everything. and i can hear the voices of those who have felt it too.

"fuck elves"
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

DFD

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Fortress Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2018, 09:27:57 am »

I first read about it in a gaming magazine. I installed it, but could not figure out how to actually play the game. The problem was, I accidentally moved the screen away from the dwarfs and could not see them anymore.  :D
A few months later I saw a few more mentions of the game elsewhere, so I gave it another try. This time I also joined the forum and found the Dwarf wiki which helped me to start. I have been following the development of this game for more than a decade now and still find it fascinating.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]