Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 15282 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2018, 10:23:35 am »

TVTropes initially, although I don't remember the article or chain of articles that eventually led me to it.  Video Game Cruelty Potential, probably, since I remember reading something about DF players loving to lock up and torture elves in their dungeons.

The vague impression I got about the game was that it was some kind of torture simulator, and figured it was a relatively modern 3D dungeon simulator.  I wasn't terribly interested in that.

Later on, I found it again on TVTropes and a link to Boatmurdered.  I fell in love after reading that, although the version I started on was much newer (0.31.25).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2018, 08:24:46 am »

I have read about Dwarf Fortress in Russian Wikipedia's article. I knew about the game since 2013, but actually started playing somewhere in the Summer of 2016, when I completed school education.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »

i found it in the main page of the minecraft wiki. so i looked around here a while and found the LNP.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sooner535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:03 pm »

Quill18 was the person that introduced me to the game via one of his playthroughs but I couldn’t get into it, recently Nookrium had his very in-depth 50~ minuet turorial and then a tutorial fortress, after watching all of that together I got into it (about 3 weeks ago) and haven’t looked back since.

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 06:29:39 pm »

I read somewhere that Minecraft was inspired by Dwarf Fortress a few years ago. I later looked Dwarf Fortress up on TV Tropes, and decided to try it out.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »

It seems like there are quite a few people who came here through minecraft
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 11:02:04 am »

Boatmurdered, for me.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 01:05:30 pm »

Boatmurdered, for me.
read it on MC wiki as i said before, but reading in the wiki, Bronzemurder https://www.timdenee.com/bronzemurder convinced me to try it and a tutorial video used the LNP, so i was hooked
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 09:08:12 pm »

Seeing this awesome game being compared to Minecrap would have deterred me. But again, when I first heard of it, I was a stupid Minecrap fan.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 09:56:00 pm »

I discovered roguelikes when my dad I was 8-10 years old and my dad brought home an old mac from work that they were going to throw away.  This would have been somewhere around '91-'93?  Can't remember exactly.  It had a bunch of games on it that employees had messed with on their lunch breaks and such.  One of them was nethack.  I poured so many hours into that, along with my 2 younger brothers.  This grew into an appreciation for roguelikes that never ended.  Played basically every single one that could be found on the internet in the late 90's.

My youngest brother also kept up with them, and found Dwarf Fortress when it was still very young.  Like 2007 or so.  This was after I'd had a kid, was trying to finish up school, working full time, totally engrossed in Stalker, etc.  So I was all "yeah, that sounds awesome... I'll get around to it eventually".  That was my response for a couple years.  Until I read Boatmurdered at work (I spent a lot of time putzing idly around on the internet at this job).  That put my determination to learn and play this game into overdrive.  Been hanging around here ever since.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2018, 01:13:41 am »

Seeing this awesome game being compared to Minecrap would have deterred me.

It's not comparison at all. DF is mentioned on MC wiki's main page in a list of games which inspired MC.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:44 am »

Seeing this awesome game being compared to Minecrap would have deterred me.

It's not comparison at all. DF is mentioned on MC wiki's main page in a list of games which inspired MC.
Also MC has its own charm.
i'd love a MC total conversion mod, adding everything from DF into it. then i'd buy a VR system and dorf around there until i die of thirst.

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:43 am »

I found out from here: https://xkcd.com/1223/

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:11 am »

Someday, I'd like to make a Minecraft Dwarf Fortress mod where Dwarf Fortress has all the Minecraft creatures and crafting recipes and such. Also a tileset that uses Minecraft textures. I'd estimate 9 months to a year of work to make that though, so it would be a lot of work.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2018, 06:45:23 am »

I remember seeing a minecraft dwarf fortress texture pack a long time ago.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6