Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 15278 times)

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:21:20 pm »

This topic comes from the General Discussions.

Guess I should start from the beginning.

Back when I was very young, there was this game called "Cultures 2: Northland". It was quite complex for a game that has been created in early 2000s. I was so amazed that it blew my mind. I could go as far as to call it the DF of the 2000s. Just to give few examples:

a) Each person (viking) in your settlement is an unit of its own, with the needs like hunger, sleep, talk and faith. Most of them are civilians that can become things like farmers, scouts or extractors (person who gathers goods like stone, wood, clay and mushrooms).

b) A civilian becomes a farmer. After they hit 100% exeprience, you unlock the mill. 100% exp there and you get the bakery and the well, since you need flour and water to make bread. Some 100% exp later you unlcok three buildings: upgraded bakery where you can make cakes (more effective than bread and hunger time is reduced), beehive and brewery where you make mead (which is basically a unit of food you can eat two times).

Few years later, I found Minecraft. After that, terraria.

In short, I started to like these sandbox-type games.

So one day of this year I went to tv tropes and then... WTF? What the hell is Dwarf Fortress? I give the page a read and then I see it...

Boatmurdered.

And from that day, I started playing Dwarf Fortress.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:16:00 pm »

I also found out about DF through TV Tropes sometime last year, though I only actually decided to give it a try earlier this year and since then I've been unable to stop.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:21:55 pm »

This topic comes from the General Discussions.

Guess I should start from the beginning.

Back when I was very young, there was this game called "Cultures 2: Northland". It was quite complex for a game that has been created in early 2000s. I was so amazed that it blew my mind. I could go as far as to call it the DF of the 2000s. Just to give few examples:

a) Each person (viking) in your settlement is an unit of its own, with the needs like hunger, sleep, talk and faith. Most of them are civilians that can become things like farmers, scouts or extractors (person who gathers goods like stone, wood, clay and mushrooms).

b) A civilian becomes a farmer. After they hit 100% exeprience, you unlock the mill. 100% exp there and you get the bakery and the well, since you need flour and water to make bread. Some 100% exp later you unlcok three buildings: upgraded bakery where you can make cakes (more effective than bread and hunger time is reduced), beehive and brewery where you make mead (which is basically a unit of food you can eat two times).

It looks interesting. Where can I find this game?

So one day of this year I went to tv tropes and then... WTF? What the hell is Dwarf Fortress? I give the page a read and then I see it...

Boatmurdered.

And from that day, I started playing Dwarf Fortress.

I too found about DF on TvTropes when finding about Mermaid farming around 2011 or no later than Summer 2012. I started to play the following Summer, when my courseload became lighter.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:53:46 am »

You can find it on Steam for 4.99 (7.99 if you buy it with the expansion "8th wonder of the world").

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:00:25 am »

Wait... Now I remember... I stumbled upon it when I was like what, 7? It was 2010 (I think) at the time and I couldn't figure out how to stop worldgen. But I remember the rough shape of part of the world.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:36:14 am »

A friend of mine showed me it and it looked neat, then he plopped me into the game blind and made me learn it...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:41:31 am »

A friend of mine showed me it and it looked neat, then he plopped me into the game blind and made me learn it...

Haha, sounds like my conversion tactic  :).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:03:55 am »

I first tried df when pc gamer released an article  called 10 best free pc games. I actually started playing df a year later when pc gamer released another article called: df now has vampires and necromancers.

I used to visit that webpage a lot.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »

Haha, sounds like my conversion tactic  :).
I just deluge them with stories of Boatmurdered and necrobacon and the FAILCANNON (possibly my favorite DF contraption ever made) and the Hamlet of Tyranny and dwarven childcare.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 05:50:41 pm »

You can find it on Steam for 4.99 (7.99 if you buy it with the expansion "8th wonder of the world").
Couple bucks more at GOG, but I think the DRM-free is worth it. I bought it on sale, though. $4 for game and expansion, or something like that.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »

IIRC it was while I was browsing Tv Tropes - I don't remember the exact page but it mentioned some of the shenanigans that occur within DF - that was how I discovered it - what actually got me into playing DF was finding a link to the archive of Boatmurdered.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »

Since the beginning my gaming career, I get bored quickly with games, and I have allways been looking for the next bigger kick, games that set the bar as to what is possible. Being utterly frustrated of the performance of my GPU in all those cool sandbox early access games, I went looking for something truely innovative that wouldn't need a monster rig to run. I had seen DF around before but never dug into the topic bceause I was turned off by the ASCII, but that time I stumbled upon DF stories and read till 6am.

I must say DF surpasses my initial requirements by large and I even had the joy to notice that my weird 13" build (i7 47900mq, gtx765m (no own fan), 16gb crucial ballistix ram) is kind of perfekt for this game (wtf took me to invest 100€ more for better ram at the time?)
let

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:36:20 am »

A friend started talking about shooting and being mauled to death by camels in chat. I immediately knew i needed to play the game. I was not disappointed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:13 am »

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:24 am »

College dorms. An acquaintance brought it to my attention.
Started playing seriously 6 years later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6