Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 15285 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »

This Xkcd comic.
I looked up DF about a week later, and downloaded it a week after that. I then spent thirty minutes trying to designate normal ground to be mined and thinking that the mountainside over there was some sort of ocean.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:55:28 pm by Eschar »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 12:09:39 am »

I learned it in two evenings due to the quckstart guide.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 02:13:01 pm »

On the comment section of the BYOND game Dungeon Master, which is a DF based multiplayer game. Someone there said that it was just like DF, and it led me to search for it over Google.

sethtnt

• Bay Watcher
  • Who knows
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »

I was just browsing the internet looking for interesting things, trying to find a game to get interested in. Months go by with me occasionally finding something and then getting bored of it or dissapointed by the over hype. Well, then I ended up on DF because it was on some list (Can't remember exactly what list). So I took a look and tried it out. I got a hell of a lot more than I expected to, with more details than I ever though possible with today's technology. DF is amazing.
*Dwarf Magic*
*Elf Magic*
*[insert relevant word here] Magic*

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:02 am »

Back when I was very young, there was this game called "Cultures 2: Northland". It was quite complex for a game that has been created in early 2000s. I was so amazed that it blew my mind. I could go as far as to call it the DF of the 2000s. Just to give few examples:
It's Cultures 3: Northland. Downloaded, played a bit.Meh, not even settlers. Conrtols feel clunky, game feels not very great overall, and chains of production(?) don't make any damn sense. When you "hit 100 exp", you not unlock next building, you unlock ability of this single unit to work on it. Say to make bakery, you build a farm and make someone work on it. When he gets enough exp, you build a mill and make this farmer, not someone else, to work on it, because only unit with exp in farming can do this. Even more absurd, when unit must have exp in mining to be a mason, or hunting to be animal farmer.

Discovered dwarf fortress from phrase "Minecraft was inspired by dwarf fortress and bla bla bla". Looked at screenshots while don't looking at game, decided that i'ts something not very interesting for me, and forgot about it for two years. Then i looked at it again, then i maniacally readed trough looked at funny moments thread at russian forum, and... Oh. My. God. Downloaded... Umm... how i can mine here? Spent three hours hugging wiki to get started.  :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:12:39 am by MCreeper »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:59 pm »

Didn't occur to me to say in my previous post, but I feel like it might be worth pointing out that DF has been in development since 2002...so technically it can itself be considered the "DF of the 2000s". :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:23:29 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »

The Streamer "Vargskelethor" got me into this game last year, I kept watching him play so I decided to play it myself. Complicated to learn at first, now I love the game and cant wait for the update :D
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:39 pm »

In my case, I first took enough notice of DF to poke at it during the discussion / "controversy" about it getting voted up and eventually winning the Ascii Dreams 2007 Roguelike of the Year award.  This was late 2007, about the time it also got a surge of publicity after the Z-axis was introduced, so it was probably a case of seeing it in a few places within a short period overcoming my inertia.  I didn't get involved with the forum until a bit later, and didn't create an account to post (rather than just lurk) until later yet; the forum says I didn't register until early 2010. 

So, I never played in the "flat" / "horizontal" era, but we've now gone 10 years in the "3D" era... hopefully it will not be too much longer before we get other dimensions / realms / etc. and move to "4D" :)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:51 am »

The Streamer "Vargskelethor" got me into this game last year, I kept watching him play so I decided to play it myself. Complicated to learn at first, now I love the game and cant wait for the update :D
joel also got me interested in Dwarf Fortress
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 09:25:56 am »

Another forum I was on started a succession game.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 04:32:57 pm »

I was reading a book about Minecraft, when it said that one of the games Minecraft was based on was the free game Dwarf Fortress. I thought "If it is free, why not try it?". And now, here I am.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 09:12:43 am »

Youtuber called Quill18. 

Me at first : Wtf is that ugly game... how can he... ? uhhhh!

Few days later : I must... MASTER it...

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 10:12:26 am »

I forget the exact order of my hearing about the game, but I started playing dwarf fortress I think with one of the first stable versions that introduced z-levels into the game.

Boatmurdered. And Three Panel Soul's few comics on the game were what got me interested and/or revised my interest in the game.

I usually get into the game for a few months, drop it for a year or two, and come back looking at new things that have been added.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:11 pm »

Screwing around at an after school something, a friend asks me "Hey, have you ever heard of Dwarf Fortress?" I answer no, and then regales me with stories of Boatmurdered, his own torture chambers for the hippies, mermaid breeding programs, ect.

5 minutes later, I'm downloading dwarffortress-0-40-24.zip and failing to understand the basic interface; I thought burrows were how you moved Z-levels.

Fast forward 3 years; at least I can make a semi-competent fortress.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6