Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 15291 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 01:30:48 am »

Oh man, I vaguely remember that I saw mention of it various places before I finally tried it.

The main one I remember though was in the forums for another game (which is both the best of games and worst of games... but that's another topic probably) called Haven and Hearth, and there was a suggestion thread for possible things to be implemented there. I remember at least one of these was beekeeping/hives, and it was mentioned that they'd just recently been implemented in Dwarf Fortress, and I think there were a few other things mentioned with reference to DF as well. That at least introduced me to the idea, and intrigued me a bit, and as I said I believe I then saw DF mentioned one or two other places, enough to make me finally decide "you know, I should probably check this thing out."

The rest, as the say, is history.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:22 pm »

tv tropes, a few months ago I tried, got frustrated with it, deleted, about a month ago I picked it up again and now can't put it down
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Eligiblefoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 07:05:30 am »

I found out about it from Marcus Aurelius LP.

R.I.P to his channel

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 01:38:42 pm »

An article on RPS about it.  I had played some of the sandbox games and enjoyed them (this was 2012), but wasn't really taken with the genre.  I found this like a junkie finding heroin for the first time, and have been comfortably addicted ever since.  While I will often go play something else for a while, i always seem to come back.  Nothing else has the stories that the game generates, with the possible exception of Rimworld (which I also play the hell out of).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 04:37:43 pm »

Back in 2006 I used to hang around in the Taleworlds Forum where someone posted an after report of Dwarf Fortress. As I liked ADOM and Nethack I decided to give it a try and so Im here since then.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 08:25:34 pm »

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 04:49:38 am »

If I recall correctly, I first stumbled across Dwarf Fortess on YouTube and then promptly read most of the wiki in one go. I think I enjoy learning how games work nearly as much as playing them sometimes, and Dwarf Fortress gave me plenty to learn!
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 02:52:50 pm »

Quill18, 1 F Jeff, and Vinesauce Joel worked all three as a collective force to make me play this game.
Have a nice day!

fehtuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 06:46:54 pm »

For me it was a cocktail of watching jef major on YouTube, tv tropes and needing more depth after playing cataclysm to death.

6 years later I'm still a novice and I love it

Amorphage

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE] [FANCIFUL] [SLOW_LEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2017, 02:23:19 am »

I think I saw it on tvtropes through some really absurd chain of events/wiki walking taking me from the Yu-Gi-Oh pages to its main page proper, which lead me to playing it briefly in... 2011 or 2012? I think? Got confused about how fort mode worked, eventually quit (albeit after playing an absolutely absurd amount of adventure mode, like at one point spending literal hundreds of hours on it).

Later on in 2014, picked it up after seeing some lps of it, played some more adventure mode, got a bit more of an understanding of fort mode (still was too darn proud to check the wiki on how to play, though  :-X ).

This all continues as a cycle of getting slightly better at fort mode after fairly long droughts in playing between absolutely absurd hours spent playing until I ended up where I am now, with a basic understanding of how forts and traps and etc work, enough to at least set up/prep nice things for my Adventurers and stuff, like steel weapons and dwarf adventurer starting points that don't end in the character dying in the depths because they can't find the stairs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 04:23:19 pm »

I saw a physics demonstration of water meeting magma on youtube, thought it seemed really neat and dived right into DF. I thought DF was horrible and didn't understand it, quitting it. Two months later I tried again and... At last I saw the divine magma at the end of the tunnel, the beauty that was Dorf Fortress

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:56 pm »

I first learned of it in 2011 or 2012, from another student at my highschool. Of course, I was fuzzy on the details, and poor health and school don't leave much time for leisure, so it wasn't until shortly before 40.24 released (late December of 2014, I believe) that I stumbled on its TVTropes page and decided to give it a go.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:12 am »

stumbled on df through spicy memes in some 2010 or 2011. didnt know how the fuck to play it however so i didnt bother with it. then like most people i stumbled on boatmurdered, decided to give df a new go and this time look at some guides on how to play as well as download the newbpack.

been playing for some..3 years now?

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 05:31:08 am »

Heard many references to it at game review sites, and saw some pictures at some image boards but I thought it was a shallow gathering simulator without combat. Then a few years ago I saw some meme's of it on funnyjunk and it looked really interesting, especially the learning curve meme made the game look like a challenge to master, and just some comics showing how crazy things could be showed that my original perception that is was a shallow game was wrong.

One of my favorite games for almost 20 years and I still play today is Dungeon Keeper, also love the old Sierra city simulation Games like Ceasar, Zeus and the first three simcity games. DF combines all of them with dungeon keeper and it is amazing. Only thing is lacking is magic, especially have the artifacts be magical instead of just max quality. Though this is coming so I will be patient. My only problem is DF makes every other simulation game boring after a few hours while DF keep you going, at least until FPS death.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6