Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 15284 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic. Somebody was talking about Dwarf Fortress there, and I got interested. (I found Nethack through a Wikipedia "how cool are you" joke test, I think.)

I think I spent a little time trying and making a hodgepodge fortress that eventually got boring, stopped for a while, then came back and got involved in the Bay12 Forums, which helped to make DF more interesting for me.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic.

((Newt jokes anyone?))

DaComputerNerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »

Personally, I discovered Dwarf Fortress through Dave Fayram and Lyinginbedmon. They did a thing where they tried an evil embark in Masterwork, and it was hilarious.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 12:11:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure through Dudley's Dungeon, a Nethack fancomic.

((Newt jokes anyone?))
Remember the time he got polymorphed into a newt?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »

I think, when I was doing a research on minecraft...?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 07:41:56 pm »

Back in 2014 I was talkng to a work-friend about being bored with the games and also without time to play long-action games.
He said that he knew a game that I could play for like a half-hour a day and would be fine with my time-issue.
Turns out that I spent hours reading and watching tutorials about this game, and untill today I still do not full understand it, but it is fine because it is Dwarf Fortress.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:11 pm »

i don't remember when i first heard of dwarf fortress. it's like...it's always been there. a whisper just at the edge of hearing. like sunlight without the harshness. i reach out and feel it as it moves through everyone and everything. and i can hear the voices of those who have felt it too.

"fuck elves"
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

DFD

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Fortress Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2018, 09:27:57 am »

I first read about it in a gaming magazine. I installed it, but could not figure out how to actually play the game. The problem was, I accidentally moved the screen away from the dwarfs and could not see them anymore.  :D
A few months later I saw a few more mentions of the game elsewhere, so I gave it another try. This time I also joined the forum and found the Dwarf wiki which helped me to start. I have been following the development of this game for more than a decade now and still find it fascinating.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 03:58:27 am »

Was in 2010 or 2011. I don't remember specifically what I was looking for, but I ended up at Boatmurdered. That was awesome, so I found the game and here we are

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:15 am »

I read about the game in one of those "This is the most complex game you'll ever see!" articles, and decided to check it out...

only, I'm sorry I couldn't find that article again after that to check, because for what I remember, it somehow got everything wrong about the game.

Apparently the article was full of speculation and ideas about what could be in the game, mixed with actual things that were in the game at the time.

Some examples: "you can build a giant tower as long as you are careful about designing proper foundation for it" or "you can even generate power by boiling water into steam and having it power special devices", listed together with stuff like the detailed world generator and the procedurally generated thoughts of every dwarf.

It certainly did its job, as it got me interested, but it was such a weird way to introduce people to this game. Had I not found out about Boatmurdered as one of the first results, I would have probably just given up on the whole thing as "one of those early-access games who promise so much content and only actually have 5% of it".
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 07:54:32 pm »

Completely chance discovery upon a youtube video showing the collision of water and magma in DF. I thought this looked intriguing enough, certainly pretty in a way I'd never seen in a game before. I loaded it up and began my first Fort and... I gave up, I made very little progress. Two months later I remembered this game and gave it a second shot, and had one of my most treasured Forts ever. It ended in tremendous failure, but of the best kind. With eagerness I saw all of my plans combust as winter set upon me with goblin and giant badger, and I was hooked!

Sharpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2018, 06:51:07 am »

Was looking for games with randomly generated levels/worlds (as that is a particular interest of mine), and I saw this game come up in the search results. Watched a few Adventurer lets plays (I can't remember when this was), and was hooked... unfortunately I couldn't play the game at the time without frequent crashes. Started playing it a few months afterwards following a PC upgrade, and swiftly discovered that seeking a Giant as your first kill is not a good idea.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 12:47:17 pm »

Heard about it because of Minecraft, didn't bother checking it out.
Saw my brother playing it a year later, made a mental note to check it sometime.
About another year after that (near the end of 2012,) I finally got the urge to play it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2018, 08:32:20 am »

Through an article on the origins of minecraft, started playing after finding out more through tv tropes.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Howando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2018, 10:12:36 am »

It was in 2009/10 when i was playing a LOT of DiscworldMUD, and some people were just spamming the talker with DF chat, so I decided to find out what it was all about.

It was a very different game back then!  I started on 40d.  Carp were the top cause of random dwarf death, aside from the tantrum spiral caused by someone witnessing a fellow dwarf mutilated by a carp, where they would just inflict that mutilation on each other until there's no-one left alive.
I couldn't keep a fort going for more than 3 years without them all slaughtering one another.  Those were the good old days.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6