Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarfs arent eating prepared food  (Read 7760 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs arent eating prepared food
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 01:49:05 am »

It's definitely possible that this is not the best way to go about it, but I just want to  explain that I *do* get happy thoughts from dwarfs eating good meals when they eat prepared meals containing foods they like.  Again, it's a difference between pathing to the raw food or having a chance to eat it in the prepared meals.  I build my forts a bit strangely in that I only every have about 20 prepared meals on hand at any given time.  My cook is constantly preparing new meals with different foods (which I ensure with excruciatingly painstaking stockpile placement).  I'm super JIT (Just In Time) with my workflows, so I have almost no food stockpiles.

Cpt Kennedy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »

I've been experimenting with high traffic zones but apparently they ignore pathing QQ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 05:14:10 am »

Traffic restrictions only affect the path taken to a selected destination, but does not seem to affect the selection of a destination (which is why you can see a dorf ordered to dump a bucket of water onto a tile frequently can be seen to pass by two eligible dumping locations, and only dump the water on the third one: the location to dump from was probably the one closest to the well [or possibly where the bucket was picked up]). They're totally ineffective as means to try to get dorfs to stand in the correct place when building walls, for instance (NOT on the inside, bricking themselves in: NOT out in the necrosis inducing evil rain, etc).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:04:34 pm »

Shouldn't this be a bug?

Imo, yes. No matter what I do, I end up with huge unused piles of cooked food and a shortage of brewing ingredients. Meanwhile the dwarves are complaining about lack of decent meals, whilst ignoring the masterwork cat roast and chewing on the plump helmets they stole from my brewer.  >:(

Reported it as http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10295

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 02:21:26 am »

When needs were introduced the quality of meals ceased to have any meaning expect for value when selling to caravans. "Quality meal" was changed to mean "ingest something on my list of favorite ingestables" and can be satisfied by eating raw ingredients/drinking booze on the favorite list, as well as eating meals (of any cooking quality) containing such ingredients. However, they're extremely poor at actually selecting meals containing favored ingredients in the few cases where such meals are actually available, typically grabbing whatever is "closest" if a favored raw ingredient isn't available.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 02:48:09 am »

When needs were introduced the quality of meals ceased to have any meaning expect for value when selling to caravans. "Quality meal" was changed to mean "ingest something on my list of favorite ingestables" and can be satisfied by eating raw ingredients/drinking booze on the favorite list, as well as eating meals (of any cooking quality) containing such ingredients.

So.. eating a masterwork prepared meal does not give a dwarf a happy thought? Is that a bug or a feature? I will still cook meals just for roleplaying immersion, but.. I do hope it will be changed, if that's the case.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 05:29:35 am »

It's a deliberate change, so it's probably a "feature". The economy is broken as well, and cooking recipes are going to be introduced some time in the future, so I suspect this won't be changed until either or both of these issues gets an overhaul.
I agree it's disappointing that meal quality doesn't count anymore, but I'm even more disappointed that they're so poor at locating meals that would satisfy them. I'd like to see both issues addressed.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 12:35:06 am »

BTW, just recently I have reason to doubt that meal quality has no bearing on dwarf needs.  I intentionally ran my stocks of non-prepared food to zero, just to see what would happen.  While I never got any happy thoughts (top portion of the status), several of my dwarfs have "is unfettered having consumed a decent meal" for needs (in the bottom portion).  Also "decent" is replaced with several different adjectives (presumably having to do with meal quality).  Additionally, as far as I can tell, none of the dwarfs with that needs status had access to a meal with a favoured food in it.  I haven't had time to look at it closely, but it might be worth trying.  At the moment I stupidly inundated myself with food so I can't check for a while.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:51 am »

Interesting observation, worth to keep the eyes open for.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 03:22:45 am »

You can always forbid the food that is in the way.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:11 am »

Well, I followed Fleeting Frames's suggestion and forbid the food in the fortress (My god a legendary fisherdwarf can catch a lot of fish in a short time!).  Then I watched people eating masterful roasts.  No needs met :-(  So I have no idea what was happening before.  Possibly there was some liked food around that I had forgotten about...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 07:20:37 am »

Pity with the dashed hope, but thanks for the investigation.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 07:31:43 am »

I am not so sure. I have followed your suggestion and now immdiately process any raw plants as soon as I get them, so the only available food is my stock of 1300+ high quality meals (the cook is highly experienced by now). I regularly notice happy thoughts about having eaten good meals. I will check the exact special likes of my dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]