Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 211796 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 41
« Reply #1125 on: November 21, 2020, 08:02:15 pm »

Eximius requested Prias to focus on magic. With the ring's current powers focusing on strength and endurance - and the workings of their bond causing one to strengthen the other, they will become the perfect fusion of physical and arcane might.

During the time where Veras handed the duo the healing amulet

Eximius hums in acknowledgment. "Is it possible to charge it more swiftly?"

During the offtime from hunting and training

"It seems like monsters don't dare to get too close to the village and our hunting grounds nowadays, Prias. Perhaps it's time to widen our net, so to speak?"
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 21, 2020, 09:01:01 pm »

Take the deal and the food back, but since we aren't secure, I'm going to head back out alone.  This time look for more food, or ongoing fights.

-addendum-  Best result would be a creature that I could assassinate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:28:38 pm by Devastator »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 22, 2020, 07:19:02 pm »

With Ulkas powerful mind working at horrifying speeds of fractions of seconds, he came to a quick conclusion: with such access rigidity in place, when even authorization attempts were seen as potential hostile actions, it was all but impossible to access the facility via Liel security feed. As such, a choice was to be made between risking it and cutting losses at once.

"Ambition, let's start."

Beginning to mind-link a hacking group, Ulkas used a minuscule portion of his mental faculties to elaborate his decision for companions:

(Liel, it is all but impossible to access this place legally, too much time has passed and protocols seem to have eroded. Breaking in is a valid option to test ourselves and our pursuer.)

"This whole 'Temple' is an ancient military facility that can and will try to murder the hell out of intruders or those trying to access it. You all should prepare accordingly. I wish to use this opportunity as a deathtrap for Gol, but we will see how it goes."

Unite powers with Ambition. Deploy mindfield to crack installation. Ancients might have stockpiled deadly weapons, but those who do not risk - can gain nothing but death in this world.

Spoiler: Useful Traits/Skills (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:27:43 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 22, 2020, 08:04:00 pm »

Dive into some water, hopefully it’ll get off me then
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:53:10 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:18 pm »

With a eagerness to learn what the world is like from above and what is beyond the barrier of earth, Azarian commands the dipther to pick him up and fly over the great wall of earth, taking in everything he can from both sets of senses.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 23, 2020, 05:13:38 pm »

"Then let us not waste any more time. Please do not put yourselves in unnecessary danger, we will likely still have to face the source of this madness before this is all over. Let's go." Gray said resolutely before stepping towards the crevice.

Onwards to the spring! Hostile Mirages get fist-based pacification, illusions will be punched by my new glyph if they are impeding my progress. If we get to the Spring, see if I can channel energies from my Glyph of Calm into the spring. Perhaps it will be more effective since the Mirage seem to be linked to it.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 25, 2020, 12:02:19 am »

Not a turn, but just wanted to say I'm waiting a bit to see if other returning players will post. Expect a post this Friday at worse!

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 42
« Reply #1132 on: November 25, 2020, 12:24:24 am »

Woah dang, that's way earlier than expected. Great to have you back, Nakeen! Action post coming momentarily.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:16 am »

"Now, let them taste our conviction! Make them bow to the new king!"

Order Artomal and Vel to go on the offensive, but retain a defensive posture myself. Attempt to use my commanding presence trait to enthrall the squires attacking me! If not all of them attacking me are enthralled, have those enthralled attack the others that are on me; if I manage to enthrall all four, send them to support Artomal and Vel. If there's any time left after, try to mend myself using my Mending skill.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:41:53 am by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13:45 pm »

((Hey, to be honest, I didn't actually expect you to come back this time, but I sure am happy you did. I hope everything's alright for you and your folks in these trying times.))

You felt a strange presence within your host. Could it be ? The hosts' original conscience ? How strange, this had never happend to you before. You somehow understood that you could probably communicate with it if you tried to, but you decided not to for the time being. If Shnapa's consciousness manifests itself again, you'll consider it, but for now, you'd rather not risk it, as the results would be imprevisible and may blow your cover. For now, you'll just let your host's body swear allegiance to Krauraka, but make sure it does nothing suspicious on its own. So the hungry had won the tournament, huh ? At least he seemed ambitious. You pondered how this would influence the Makralians' future... ((timeskip forward ? seems like nothing of interest will be happening for some time while the new Makralian society is still getting organized.))

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:40 am »

Turn 43: Long overdue

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Take the deal and the food back, but since we aren't secure, I'm going to head back out alone.  This time look for more food, or ongoing fights.

-addendum-  Best result would be a creature that I could assassinate.

You reluctantly decided to accept the deal with the Ravens. While you knew you could win a fight against these Ravens, there was still a risk of getting your kin injured. It was more important to secure some food while avoiding danger, that is why you looked for a carrion in the first place.

Yet it wasn't enough. You agreed to let the Ravens take the first parts, watching them tear and feast on the fresh carcass. In accordance with the agreement, they moved away once they had taken the majority of the meat, leaving you with just enough meat to feed your group. Contemplating on these scraps of meat and thinking back to your injured birdmates back at the temporary shelter, you instructed Kra and the others to bring the food back while you would look for more alone.

[Encounter: Looking for an opportunity]

[Easy 6]: [13]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

[Observation: Inhabitants of the Chasms]
[Moderate 10]: [14]
Outcome: [6] -Overshoot-

You flew over the edge of a chasm, following it toward the distant sea. From above you could observe the variety of creatures inhabiting these lands.
The rivers were teeming with life, making them hotly contested grounds. Amphibians, reptiles, and fishes abunded in the waters.
Terrestrial creatures were scarce in comparison, and much weaker. With a glance, one could easily determine the various mammalians stood at the lowest level of the food hierarchy here.
You had to be careful when flying between the chasms: too close to the walls and flying creatures would attack you, too close to the waters and the water dwellers would try to snipe you out of the skies.

As you kept looking for a creature to ambush, you couldn't shake this feeling of being observed. Maybe followed.

[Encounter: Chasm Salamander (Easy)]

After a while, you noticed a small pond born from a smaller stream that separated from the main river. On a white rock was napping a salamander twice your size. In the skies and near the surface, there didn't seem to be any other activity.

Nearby Beings:
- Chasm Salamander [Napping and unaware]

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-3 Carrion Birds [Motivated!]
-4 wounded Carrion Birds [In a cave, resting]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Gray the Unstable Prismetal Blaster (Beirus)
"Then let us not waste any more time. Please do not put yourselves in unnecessary danger, we will likely still have to face the source of this madness before this is all over. Let's go." Gray said resolutely before stepping towards the crevice.

Onwards to the spring! Hostile Mirages get fist-based pacification, illusions will be punched by my new glyph if they are impeding my progress. If we get to the Spring, see if I can channel energies from my Glyph of Calm into the spring. Perhaps it will be more effective since the Mirage seem to be linked to it.

Alongside Brown and followed by the Djinns and Spirits, you entered the domain of the Mirages.
Sparse grass and succulents slowly started to replace the barren sand of the Copper Desert, and the shade of palm trees caused light to flicker. The air was slightly less dry in these places, the vegetation causing the air to retain part of its moisture. Everyone was silent, with only the brushing of the palms heard around you.

Up ahead, you could see the crevice home to the Mirage Oasis.

[Combat: Illusion Field (Basic Innate Magic)]
Caster Power: 2
> Basic Magic: +1
Targets Resistance: 1 (Gray) / 2 (Brown)
> Spiritual Protection: +2

Spell checks: (Gray) d20 against 12 / (Brown) d20 against 14
Roll: [19] -Spell succeeded- / [3] -Spell failed-

Before you realized it, everyone around you had disappeared. You called for Brown, for the Spirits and the Djinns. No answer.
The trees around you all looked identical, and the glaring sun... was it always so bright? You tried to retrace you steps, but they had disappeared. Was it a trap? Did the spiritual protection fail?

[Combat: Illusion Field]
Caster Intelligence: 1
> Adept Illusionists: +2
Targets Individuality: 0
> Spiritual Protection: +2

Attack check: d20 against 8
Roll: [18] -Illusion successful-

A voice called you. It was Brown!
"Gray! Is everything okay?"

The group was ahead, it seemed you had lost the pace at some point in the approach.
"You worried us! We thought the Mirages got you. Gray watch out!"

Suddenly a massive shadow appeared behind you. A semi-transparent mass of air nearly as tall as Brown had sneaked up on you, and was trying to grab you!

Nearby Monsters:
-10 Pacified Greater Sand Spirits [Allies]
-6 Pacified Djinns [Allies]
-1 unidentified being [Hostile?]

Spoiler: Gray Status (click to show/hide)

Snivera the Leaf Wing (Naturegirl1999)
Dive into some water, hopefully it’ll get off me then

[Escape]

(Moderate 10): [3]
Outcome: [1] -Critical Failure-

You promptly dove into the nearest body of water in order to shake off your pursuer. Looking behind you, the Pestilence Fly hovered to a stop looking where you just dove. You felt something moving in the waters.

[Mud-Dweller Catfish]
Attacker Strength: 1
> Surprise Attack: +2
Defender Constitution: 0
Attacker check: d20 vs 4
Roll: [1]

You narrowly dodged the gaping mouth out of the way! A large catfish thrice your size swam past, leaving you a second to choose whether to stay here or face the fly.

Nearby Beings:
- Pestilence Fly [Hostile]
- Mud-dweller Catfish [Hostile]
- Innumerable weak hostile monsters of all kind

Spoiler: Snivera's Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
Eximius requested Prias to focus on magic. With the ring's current powers focusing on strength and endurance - and the workings of their bond causing one to strengthen the other, they will become the perfect fusion of physical and arcane might.

During the time where Veras handed the duo the healing amulet

Eximius hums in acknowledgment. "Is it possible to charge it more swiftly?"

During the offtime from hunting and training

"It seems like monsters don't dare to get too close to the village and our hunting grounds nowadays, Prias. Perhaps it's time to widen our net, so to speak?"

Discussion with Veras

"Is it possible to charge it more swiftly?" you asked with interest.

"In theory yes, there are ways to charge this amulet. Prias' vitality is already abnormally strong, and so is his excess life energy. One could imagine a situation where his vitality would burst and overflow, causing the amulet to quickly replenish. There exists spells to create such situations, but they are of an advanced level of a school of magic I am not familiar with. That's already one way."

Veras continued with a more conflicted look.
"There exists another, obvious way... but it is, well, not very humane. And generally frowned upon in scholarly circles. By stealing the life of another creature, or being, you could replenish the amulet much faster. It was an Hearteater's organ after all, so I guess it would be natural in a way to refill it that way. Of course none of you is a life-stealing monster, so you lack the ability to reproduce this effect. A spell could, but that would be combat-grade magic that once again belongs to a school I am not proficient in. Arcane magic is a vast domain after all. And furthermore, I don't think the healing spell would be as effective with a life force other than Prias'."

Offtime: Magic Training
You gave Prias his new training regiment: the study of magic. Your host was in a good physical shape, but there was an idiom saying "healthy mind, healthy body". Mind was related to magic, so magic here couldn't hurt.

And so Prias started spending more time with Veras, who had now become his magic instructor. At the same time, you listened to the lessons, thus learning more about the magic of this era.

Chapter 1: Arcane Magic

Arcane Magic was the most used form of magic in this era. It was based on the Arcane system, which was an entire language of magic that could be written and spoken to produce effects through the conversion of magic energy. Such conversion was called Arcane Spelling, which was shortened to spell. Anyone could use Arcane Magic as long as they could understand the Arcane system. Further mmastery of Arcane Magic required extensive studies and specialization, which gave birth to the various schools of magic. Schools were not set in stone, and schools would rise and fall depending on the amount of arcane users. Some schools even merged, or split.

As a footnote, Veras added that Arcane Magic was close to Glyph Magic by principle, but also completely different. Glyph Magic was an uncommon form of magic used notably in some distant desert nation. Glyph magic could be written, but not spoken.

Chapter 2: Schools of Magic

Veras was an Archeomancist, a practicioner of Archeomancy. It was a versatile school of magic that required studying a bit of many schools in order to understand the evolution of magic. Notably, Archeomancy required to learn extensively about the history of magic, for the ultimate goal of an Archeomancist was to be able to recover lost spells and place them in the history of magic.

The current main schools of Arcane Magic were the following:
- Elemental Magic: the manipulation of the world's elements. The oldest and largest schools of magic. One of the easiest to start in, the majority of mages had at least dabbled once in a form of Elemental Magic.
- Vital Magic: the manipulation of life force and the body. Mostly known for the school of Healing Magic.
- Death Magic: the manipulation of unlife force. Pure Death Mages are rare, as Death Magic is often combined with other main schools.
- Mind Magic: the manipulation of the mind. Its most famous school is the School of Illusionists.

Some minor but famous schools, that were notably important in the history of magic:
- Antimage Magic: along with battlefield magic, this school was born in answer to the increasing use of mages on the battlefield. A school dedicated to countering magic, which requires in-depth knowledge of the other schools.
- Battlefield Magic: a school born to kill, maim, and incapacitate as many enemies as possible in the most efficient manner.
- Pure Magic: a school focusing on the nature of magical energy. All its spells manipulate magic energy directly, making it extremely straightforward.
- Undeath Magic: better known as Necromancy, a school borrowing teachings from Death Magic and Mind Magic in order to raise and manipulate the dead.

Veras could teach the basics of all but the most obscure schools, but wouldn't be able to teach spells of intermediate level. He also didn't possess any advanced grimoires in the village. But he was sure that in the ruins of Nepkeros, there would be a trove of knowledge about Death Magic, Mind Magic, and Undeath Magic.

[Intelligence 1: Magic Training I]
[Easy-Moderate 8]: [5]
[Outcome]: [1] -Critical Failure-

Unfortnately, Prias was not used to such intensive studying. The classroom was a battlefield like none other, and despite his determination, the young hero was defeated by a flood of information. And despite his vast knowledge, Veras was not a born teacher. He had difficulties putting himself in the shoes of his student, who had the education of a peasant, and couldn't grasp concepts that seemed obvious to him.

The way of magic was long indeed.

Offtime: Hunting

"Magic... is hard" said Prias during a patrol. "I already admired Veras before that, but now, I can't help but be awed. How can mages memorize all these symbols, their meanings? It's beyond me."

He mused all of this, hoping for some guidance.

[Looking for trouble!]
[Moderate-Hard 12]: [7]
Outcome: [6] -Partial Success-

The gray open-skies and their black horizon. The dim pine forests, and ashen fields close to the deadlands. This was where Prias truly felt at ease. His foot felt lighter than a feather, his mind clearer than the skies. This hostile environment he had known all his life, he had gotten used to it, and maybe won over it by now. It had been weeks since the last eventful day. To break the monotony, and avoid falling into a pit of self-satisfaction, you suggested to extend your hunting grounds.

"Indeed, it wouldn't hurt to scout further and get to know the surrounding lands."

The two of you decided to push into the deadlands. After all, you would eventually have to confront its many dangers someday.

Covered from head to toes in a cloak the same colour of the ashen lands, Prias scanned the nearby deadlands by foot. The ground cracked lightly under his steps as if the soil was devoid of moisture, and the wind seemed to howl. In the distance, you spotted a lone creature. Like most creatures of the deadland, it was gaunt in appearance, partway between a skeleton and a starved creature. It looked like a massive bat which had lost the ability to fly, with the skull of some sort of dog instead of a bat's. It was very tall, as tall as a small house. Its blackened eyes seemed to scan the landscape, and its gaping mouth would slaver if it had any saliva to produce.

Nearby Monsters:
-Unidentified Deadland Monster [Hostile]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
With Ulkas powerful mind working at horrifying speeds of fractions of seconds, he came to a quick conclusion: with such access rigidity in place, when even authorization attempts were seen as potential hostile actions, it was all but impossible to access the facility via Liel security feed. As such, a choice was to be made between risking it and cutting losses at once.

"Ambition, let's start."

Beginning to mind-link a hacking group, Ulkas used a minuscule portion of his mental faculties to elaborate his decision for companions:

(Liel, it is all but impossible to access this place legally, too much time has passed and protocols seem to have eroded. Breaking in is a valid option to test ourselves and our pursuer.)

"This whole 'Temple' is an ancient military facility that can and will try to murder the hell out of intruders or those trying to access it. You all should prepare accordingly. I wish to use this opportunity as a deathtrap for Gol, but we will see how it goes."

Unite powers with Ambition. Deploy mindfield to crack installation. Ancients might have stockpiled deadly weapons, but those who do not risk - can gain nothing but death in this world.

Spoiler: Useful Traits/Skills (click to show/hide)

(Ulkas, I must object. This is a terrible idea. If we wait for Xatares, maybe-)

"There is no time! It is flight or die. Ulkas! I am ready!" interjected Ambition.

Astrosa glared at Ambition, and conjured a bladed spear from her Gown. Pointing it at the Irregular's head, she said menacingly.
"I do not trust YOU though. If something happens to Ulkas, I will skewer your head."

Ambition smiled with absolute confidence, mocking Astrosa. Her fury was starting to leak, and you could sense a dangerous, red heat emanating from the spear. Yet you could tell she was mustering all her willpower to control herself.
"My my, how threatening. Watch and be awed."

You reassured Astrosa. Everything will be okay.

And so, Ulkas and Ambition joined minds.

[United Minds]
[Ambition: Seeing into Ulkas' Mind]
Intelligence: 6
d20 vs 12: [15] -Success-
[Ulkas: Seeing into Ambition's Mind]
Intelligence: 7
d20 vs 8: [2] -Failure-

[Trait Activated: Overpowering Mind]
Ulkas Intelligence: 7
Ambition Intelligence: 6
d20 vs 8: [3] -Failure-

[Trait Activated: Aura of Domination]
Ulkas Intelligence: 7
Ambition Intelligence: 6
d20 vs 12: [19] -Success-

Your minds were connected in an instant. Both of you knew the risks of such a stunt, and the abnormal trust required to undertake a link. Neither of you knew anything about the other, and yet you decided to join forces earlier, and now you had joined mind.

In a world of the mind where space had stopped, Ambition stood before you. Gone was the mighty ink-black being of before, replaced by a golden eye surrounded by an unstable black shroud.
"You are unexpectedly nice... or naive. Say Ulkas, what do I look like to you?"

When your minds connected, both of you instinctively tried to probe into each other in order to learn more. Maybe it was because of the noble part of you, or the urgency of the situation, or a lack of experience. Maybe all of those, maybe none. You had failed to see anything within Ambition's mind, and you knew he had seen things you didn't want him to. In addition to this, you felt crushed, as if a heavy boot was pressing on the back of your skull.

Suddenly the weight disappeared.
"I expected you to resist my aura of domination. I didn't expect you to truly cooperate and leave most of your mind bare, I could take control of your mind with some efforts. But for now, let's say it would be counterproductive to overtake you in such a dire situation. Not to mention your friend is still pointing this sharp thing at me."

Ambition was lying. They were not threatened by Astrosa in the least, and what they were saying was contradictory. They were the one being unexpectedly nice. Or naive.

[Forcing the Temple open]
Active:
-[Ambition/Ulkas] United Minds: Ulkas and Ambition have combined their minds. For the duration of the hacking, Ulkas&Ambition have a base Int of 7, and a base Ind of 6. Successes and failures will be shared.
-[Ambition/Ulkas] Advanced Mind Techniques: +3
-[Ulkas] Advanced Mind Field: +2 (does not stack with Field of Domination)
-[Ulkas] Mind Targeting: potential +1
-[Ulkas] Extreme Analysis: potential +2
-[Ambition] Venom of the Mind: potential +2
-[Ambition] Field of Domination: +2 (does not stack with Advanced Mind Field)

Support:
-[Ulkas]Life Burn/Mana Overcharging/Violent Mana Absorption

"I am an expert in disruption. You are an expert in control. I will sow chaos and open you a path."

You nodded. The two of you opened your eyes, looking at the platinum gate one last time before starting.

[Sateris' Mind]

It was dark, terribly dark in there. There was a sense that this darkness was the shadow of some greater force who would crush you if it so much as looked at you.
Ahead, a faint path of pale blue light, which you understood as the path taken by Liel. Faint inscriptions not unlike those you saw back in the Xatares installation appeared everywhere.

[Ulkas&Ambition: Expansive Mind]
-Intelligence: 7
-Expansive Mind: +1
-Extreme Analysis: +2
-Past Experience: +1
-Difficulty: 6

Intelligence Check vs 0 (Ulkas&Ambition)
Roll: [3]
Outcome: [4] -Critical Success-

"Sateris-"

You recognized this trap of the mind of the Ancients. All these symbols would cause beings of too great intelligence to be overwhelmed by information, incapacitating them. You quickly severed the connection with the symbols, saving the two of you from an overload. In addition, you managed to acquire some information of the place called Sky Temple.

Its name was Sateris, and it was currently in a dormant state, meaning the current defences were automatic processes. It was probably best to avoid rousing whatever giant is sleeping before entering its home...

[Ambition: System Interference]

"When you sow chaos, you need to look for two things. The places that fail to respond, and those that respond too much."

- Intelligence: 7
> Venom of the Mind: +2
> Advanced Mind Field: +2

- Difficulty: 8

Intelligence Check vs 4
Roll: [18]
Outcome: [4] -Critical Success-

Countless strands of purple venom extended from Ambition, sowing enough havoc to disrupt the system without alerting it. Countless lights and illusionary shapes activated in this vast expanse, revealing innumerable traps and potential paths to take. One of them looked out of the ordinary: it was weaker than most paths, and didn't seem to be a dead-end trap either.

You sent your mind toward that path.

[Current Successes will net you a +2 bonus to future actions]

[Ulkas: System Control]
Along this weaker path, a mental voice kept hailing you.

[Ulkas&Ambition: Expansive Mind]
-Intelligence: 7
-Expansive Mind: +1
-Extreme Analysis: +2
-Past Successes: +2
-Difficulty: 8

Intelligence Check vs 2 (Ulkas&Ambition)
Roll: [14]
Outcome: [1] -Success-

You ignored the trap, understanding answering would spring it. You arrived at a crossroad with infinite possibilities.

[Looking for a path]
> Mind Targeting: +1
> Extreme Analysis: +2
-Past Successes: +2
- Difficulty: 8

Intelligence Check vs 0
Roll: [8]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

Locking on the mental signature of the installation's mind, you searched for the most optimal path using the combined mental power of yours and Ambition. Another path appeared to you, but unfortunately your tampering elicited a reaction from the system.

[Success bonus lost]

Rushing deeper and deeper into the mind labyrinth, you reached a sealed door similar to the physical gate you were attempting to open. It was the deepest you could go with your limited time, now it was all up to you.

[Ulkas: System Hacking]
- Difficulty: 10

Intelligence Check vs 6
Roll: [4]
Outcome: [4] -Failure-

You invaded the system in order to make it grant your group clearance to enter the Sateris installation. Inside took place a battle of the mind between you and the automatic system.  While you attempted to convince it of letting you pass, it assaulted you with disruptive queries. It's mind so to speak, felt different from what you experienced in Xatares. It ws dormant, and following a set protocol.

In the end it wasn't enough. The system was still refusing all attempts, and it was slowly activating. You were short on time and braced for another attempt using all of your energy.

[Life Burn activated]
[8 damage taken] >>> 31/39

[Ulkas: System Hacking]
> Life Burn: +2
- Difficulty: 10

Intelligence Check vs 2
Roll: [3]
Outcome: [4] -Success-

With perseverance and the power of desperation, you pushed forward and focused all your energy into tricking the system. The extent of your manipulation finally succeeded as you heard "Welcome to Sateris". The voice was, however, very different. It was starting to awaken.

The door started to open. Not even taking a moment to rejoice, you rushed inside the darkened interior of the Sky Temple...

[Inside the Temple]

You were now in a dimly lit corridor of impressive width, wide enough to allow an army to pass through.

"I can't believe you did it... This cannot be good. I understand the circumstances, but I doubt this was the best available option. For now we need information. Ulkas, I need you to find the nearest terminal. Or a plaque with the installation's name."

Ambition was eerily silent. He seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere, fully basking in the achievement of its objective.
"Finally." he said in a distant tone, looking upward.

You noticed that Ambition was standing at a distance from you.
"Our partnership would last until we gained access to the temple. On this basis, our partnership is now void."

Astrosa had already brandished a spear.
"You..."

"I am willing to accept an extension of said partnership. What say you, Ulkas?"

Nearby Monsters:
Ambition the Irregular [Stage 8] [Partnership]
> Source of a Field of Mind Manipulation
Approaching Gol Gimmun, Cradled Skydragon

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
With a eagerness to learn what the world is like from above and what is beyond the barrier of earth, Azarian commands the dipther to pick him up and fly over the great wall of earth, taking in everything he can from both sets of senses.

Your untrustworthy mount headed without a complaint toward the sky beyond the great, insulting wall of earth. Despite the now non-existent mind of the insect, you felt its body shiver as if it anticipated some painful reaction.

[Combat: Monster-Rejecting Barrier (Advanced Arcane Magic)]

Caster Power: 5
> Advanced Magic Mastery: +6
Targets Resistance: 2 (Azarian) / 1 (Dipter)

Spell checks: (Azarian) d20 vs 2 / (Dipter) instant success
Roll: [5] -Success-
Damage Azarian (Pow 5 vs Res 2: Diff 3): 4d6 = [7] >>> 10/17
Damage Dipter (Pow 5 vs Res 1: Diff 4): 5d6 = [9] >>> -8/10 [Dead]

The moment you passed through an invisible field, your entire body, your entire mind became fire. You felt the weakened Dipter die instantly from the shock, causing you to start plunging toward the ground on the other side at dangerously high speeds. You had to think fast, or else all your efforts would be vain!

You lost 1MP (16/17)
You gained 1 Lesser Essence (18/20)

Nearby Beings:
- Mana-sucking Dipter [HP:-8] [Dead/Controlled]
A giant eyeless hairy mosquito with bird-like wings. Known to feed on mana, particularly fond of the mana of living beings. Known to be weak against mental attacks, and resistant against magic. Physical attributes average.
[The Mana-Sucking Dipter is being controlled by Azarian. 1MP will be drained per turn, and maybe more depending on the situation]

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Disperse into Mist form. Enter into the armor and use Cold Mist. So long as I'm in the armor, not much they can do. It will die slowly as what warmth it has is slowly lost.

[Mist Form]
You dispersed into Mist Form, rushing toward the glaring Ice Troll who let out a chilling roar in your direction. It opened its large clawed hands, and swiped in your direction.

[Attack: Ice Troll Claw]
Attacker Strength: 2
Defender Constitution: 0
> Mist Form: +2
Attacker Check: d20 vs 10
Roll: [3] -Failure-

The sharpened claws sliced the air, missing you by far. You entered within close-quarters of your enemy, trying to find cracks within the coat of ice covering the body of the Ice Troll.

[Attack: Cold Mist]

Attacker Power: 0
Defender Resistance: 0
Roll: [11] -Success-
Damage (Pow 0 vs Res 0: Diff 0): 1d4 = [2]

You slowly erased the scarce warmth of the Ice Troll, though barely putting a dent in its vitality.

Your Mist Form recently started, you are not yet empowered.

Nearby Monsters:
-Ice Troll [Hostile] [Dangerous] (Lost 2HP)
[A tall and stout humanoid covered with an armour of ice. Its bony head is square and shaped like a roughly carved block of frozen rock. Strong and adapted to an icy climate, the Ice Troll is not a nice creature.]

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 17, 2021, 05:24:51 am »

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
"Now, let them taste our conviction! Make them bow to the new king!"

Order Artomal and Vel to go on the offensive, but retain a defensive posture myself. Attempt to use my commanding presence trait to enthrall the squires attacking me! If not all of them attacking me are enthralled, have those enthralled attack the others that are on me; if I manage to enthrall all four, send them to support Artomal and Vel. If there's any time left after, try to mend myself using my Mending skill.

[Trait: Commanding Presence]
You assumed a defensive posture, and commanded the Squires of the Fog to cease this foolhardy behavior at once!

Attacker Intelligence: 1
Defender Individuality: -1
Attacker Check: d20 vs 6 (x4)
Roll: [8,9,12,9] -Success x4-

The mindless Squires suddenly stopped, realizing the full extent of their treachery. They had attacked nobility, that is, you!
They understood how they could amend for their errors, and turned their blades toward the unrepentent Squires.

Meanwhile, Vel and Artomal prepared to unleash a riposte on their opponents, your Defensive Formation giving them an excellent footing for a counterattack.
[Artomal Trait: Fearless and Inspiring Fool]
Artomal's spectral chest swelled up with a characteristic and mocking fearlessness.
"Oh? The warm-up is already done? Ta-Ha! I'm only getting started!"

[Artomal: Spectral Rapier]
Attacker Strength: 0
> Skilled Weapon-User (Spectral Rapier): +2
Defenders Constitution: 1
> Passable Swordsmen: +1
Rolls: [12,20] -Success x2-
Damage (Str 0 vs Con 1: Diff 0): d4 = [4,3+3]

"One! Two! Aha, I'm at the top of my form today!"

With two consecutive agile thrusts, Artomal repelled its assaillants. One of the armoured husks got struck squarely in the skull, causing a vile and crackling fog to escape from the wound.

"Already done? They may be dead, but their head is still a weakpoint!"

[Artomal's impressive display activated Fearless and Inspiring Fool]

[Vel: Bound Arming Sword]

"Heh. Stop playing around you fool" said Vel with as much warmth as its cold and steeled heart would allow.

> Skilled Weapon-User (Bound Arming Sword): +2
> Fearless and Inspiring Fool (Artomal): +1
Attacker Check: d20 vs 6
Rolls: [14,17] -Success x2-
Damage (Str 1 vs Con 1: Diff 0): d6 = [3,4]

With powerful slashes, Vel damaged the two squires.
And now as the six Squires strike back, their four allies turned on them.

[Enthralled Squires: One on One]
Attackers Check: d20 vs 10
Rolls: [9,19,19,16] -Success x3-
Damage (Str 1 vs Con 1: Diff 0): d6 = [2,3,1]

The tides turned on the Squires of the Fog, backstabbed by their allies. Steel met bones and flesh, leaving your enemies battered and close to being defeated.

Nearby Beings:
- Ambushers in the Fog: 8 Squires of the Fog (Str 1 Ind -1)

Squires Status:
S1: Enthralled
S2: Enthralled
S3: Enthralled
S4: Enthralled
S5: -6
S6: -9
S7: -4
S8: -4

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
((Hey, to be honest, I didn't actually expect you to come back this time, but I sure am happy you did. I hope everything's alright for you and your folks in these trying times.))

You felt a strange presence within your host. Could it be ? The hosts' original conscience ? How strange, this had never happend to you before. You somehow understood that you could probably communicate with it if you tried to, but you decided not to for the time being. If Shnapa's consciousness manifests itself again, you'll consider it, but for now, you'd rather not risk it, as the results would be imprevisible and may blow your cover. For now, you'll just let your host's body swear allegiance to Krauraka, but make sure it does nothing suspicious on its own. So the hungry had won the tournament, huh ? At least he seemed ambitious. You pondered how this would influence the Makralians' future... ((timeskip forward ? seems like nothing of interest will be happening for some time while the new Makralian society is still getting organized.))

You decided to keep these abnormalities for later, and let your host go through the motions. Shnapa kneeled along with the other Makralian tribe leaders before the new Leader of the Makralians: Krauraka the Hungry. Under the savage clamor of the united tribes, Krauraka was thus recognized by all Makralians, lesser and greater. Never drowned by the flood of roaring cheers, the Leader announced to all with an ambitious roar.

"With this, the Makralian Tribes are one! Glory to the Makralian Horde!"

As if a fire even fiercer than ever had suddenly lit in their heart, the Makralians all shouted in unison.

"For the Horde! For the Horde!"

A mere minute after the birth of the Horde, Krauraka announced the immediate next step of the Horde: tonight, the Makralians will feast on the inhabitants of the jungle, pointing toward the deeper areas of the Savarde Jungle. A slavering cheer rose again, the hunger for blood rising.

[Not a Timeskip! The birth of the Makralian Horde]

All the leaders assembled at the top of the great tree, in a place where the trunk split into several thick branches forming a natural circular open area hidden from sight where the leaders could convene. There were many leaders surprised, even among the Great Leaders who seemed to have much of the events planned. It would seem even some of them didn't expect the events to move so fast.

Krauraka opened the session.
"The Horde has just been created. Its creation require a feat of equal greatness in order to show to all our legitimacy. We have fed their souls, now we need to feed their bodies."

The leaders seemed surprised by the reason given by Krauraka. Despite its rough appearance, it had put a lot of thought in the matter. Klikshi the Gale, still bloodied from his fight with Krauraka, sneered at the new leader.
"For such a brute, you are actually pretty wise hmm? You exceed my expectations, 'honest."

"Do I need to teach you another lesson Klikshi?" replied the Hungry with a toothed smile.

"No need, these future scars are enough. So what's the plan then? We just storm the jungle and ravage everything?"

"Hehehe, you gave me too much credit before. My plan is as you said. We storm the jungle and eat eeverything in sight. But of course, I am open to suggestions. I'm "wise", after all." he said half-jokingly. "I'm aware of the power of our enemies. The Hives of the Coloured Wasps. The Webs of the Spiderfolk. And the Packs of the Rainbow Fangs. My tribe fought a lot with the Rainbow Fangs, but we rarely faced the other groups. Let's hear everyone out."

After taking a quick glance around, it seemed several leaders had ideas in mind.

Nearby Beings:
-The Horde Leader: Krauraka
-The 7 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders
-The 24 last contestants

-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 17, 2021, 05:27:13 am »

*cough*

Will edit with rules changes, because I was so dissatisfied with the nonsensical aspects of some stuff :s

Quote from: Draft
Rolls Philosophy

- Attributes determine the difficulty rating
>>> Effectively +/- 10% per point, with base 50%

- Flat bonuses come from other sources.
>>> +1 = +5%

Code: [Select]
Estimated      -      Difficulty Rating

Trivial        -             0
Very Easy      -             3
Easy           -             5
Medium         -             10
Hard           -             15
Really Hard    -             18
Impossible     -             25

Types of bonuses:

Small      1 to 2
Medium      3 to 4
Huge      5 to 7
Massive      8+

Difference 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
0 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30
1 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28
2 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26
3 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24
4 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22
5 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
6 -2 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18
7 -4 -2 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16
8 -6 -4 -2 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14
9 -8 -6 -4 -2 0 2 4 6 8 10 12
10 -10 -8 -6 -4 -2 0 2 4 6 8 10

-1: Crippled
0-1: Average
2-3: Above Average
4-5: Monstrous
6-7: Apex
8+: Realm of legends

Damage Rolls
d4: light attack
d6: normal attack
d8: heavy attack

2d4: light superior attack
2d6: normal superior attack
2d8: heavy superior attack

3d6: light devastating attack
3d8: normal devastating attack
3d10: heavy devastating attack

Magic:

Difficulty level to cast.
Difficulty level to resist.

Basic: full attribute applied
Intermediate: 1.5x attribute applied
Advanced: 2x attribute applied
Master:

Magic Tier Difficulty Level Difficulty at 0 Adept Mastery MPCost x Diff
Basic 1 12 1 2 2x
Basic+ 2 14
Intermediate 4 18 3 4 3x
Intermediate+ 6 22
Advanced 8 26 5 6 5x
Advanced+ 11 32
Master 15 40 7 8 10x
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:51:16 pm by Nakéen »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 43
« Reply #1138 on: May 17, 2021, 09:24:04 am »

Antarctic Wind. Seep. Deeper. Antarctic Wind.

Use Antarctic Wind to close the gaps in the armor and form more ice. Crush, constrain, pierce. Let the Mist sink deeper. Freeze the Blood to make more spikes of ice.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 43
« Reply #1139 on: May 17, 2021, 10:39:30 am »

Azarian's hopes sank as the dipter's wings ground to a halt and it's primal mind vanished from his grasp. He was powerless to stop their fall, and at best the only thing he could do was use it's body to try and cushion the hard landing.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99