Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 213076 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 43
« Reply #1140 on: May 17, 2021, 12:15:55 pm »

Even if we'd won, we would have lost, as several carrion birds would have turned into strange monsters, bringing us that much closer to extinction.

Lets go for the murder, using Dirty Fighter in addition to a normal Slashing Claws attack.  Try and take out the Chasm Salamander.

If it dies, do not take up the essence.  Keep the essence in sight, and stay close enough to intervene before someone else can make a try for it.

Spoiler: Squacks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 05:15:08 pm by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 17, 2021, 05:21:21 pm »

Gray was confused for a moment. The odd experience-it was an illusion, wasn't it? How else would he have fallen so far behind? But what if-. His suspicious worrying was interrupted by Brown's warning. It seemed a good opportunity to put his new glyph to the test.

Taking advantage of his Morphous form, Gray tries to drop his torso by liquefying his legs to avoid the grab before reforming them. Channeling energy into his Glyph of Truth, he slams his fist into the ground in an attempt to release the magic as an omnidirectional shockwave. He thought that might buy him enough time against the ethereal entity to reassess.

Utilize Morphous and Gray's Martial Art to dodge, then exert mana into Glyph of Truth and slam Fist of TruthTM into the ground to create Shockwave of TruthTM.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:49 am »

[No idea if it'd change anything, but wouldn't [Of Erudition] help with the magic learning rolls?]

During Prias' musing about the difficulty of learning the arcane arts

The ring resting on Prias' finger mused inwardly on the issue. He'd personally teach his wielder, but Eximius had a vague notion that his magic operates somewhat differently compared to the ones practiced by humans.

"Affinity for magic, natural talent and hard work. Once I grow stronger again, I think I'll be able to help you in one way or another..."

During the encounter with the gaunt monster

Eximius 'eyed' the creature from afar, devising a plan to swiftly dispatch it. Its height was an issue—going for the head wasn't much of an option until it was brought low, but there's still a different target that can be reached.

"It doesn't appear to be aware of our presence just yet, Prias. We should exploit that."

Eximius recommends sneaking up on the bat-like monster: delivering a strike supercharged with Sever or Crush to the back of its spine could prove quite devastating. Should Prias be discovered prematurely, Eximius would suggest keeping away while harassing it with Mana Waves to see what its capable of.

Eximius will allow Prias to freely use the Ring's supportive abilities as he sees fit. And of course, if Prias thought of a different approach, Eximius will hear it out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:05:27 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 19, 2021, 10:03:00 pm »

[No idea if it'd change anything, but wouldn't [Of Erudition] help with the magic learning rolls?]
That's a really good point that I had forgotten. I will roll a second time for the next turn, with that in mind!

Turn 44 estimation: 1-2 days

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:37 pm »

Ooh.

I'm hoping to get enough food back to the group to let everyone heal up, so we can get to a safer place.

(Current goal is to get some members of my species to a safe enough place to form a somewhat stable colony, ensuring another generation of carrion birds.  Hoping to get Int to 0 as a result of practicing being the leader.  Maybe also power to 0 from repeated use of my spell.  If I do get them safeish, or if they all die, I'll set off on my own after that.

Not planning on becoming an Int or Power based fighter, but it should allow for fewer restrictions due to being dumb, and it might allow me to use my MP productively)

(My long-term goal is to end this destructive cycle of evolution while remaining at a fairly low level.  9?  8?  5?  Whatever ends up seeming possible, if unlikely.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:42:14 pm by Devastator »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 19, 2021, 11:24:22 pm »

Ulkas chuckled, greatly fascinated with everything that happened.

“I am all for extending our partnership, Ambition the Irregular, until the time we have to depart Sky Temple at least - by then, it should be more than obvious if we have enough in common to work for greater goals.”

“As the doors are closing, we are reasonably safe from outside threats. But the facility mind,  Sateris, was waking up and I will check our current level of access with the help of Liel. Try to wait just a little bit more in case there was an unexpected problem with our methods.”

Making a sign to Astrosa to wait a little bit more while searching for the requested terminal, Ulkas had a threefold task. First, of checking his mind for any traps or strange curios left by his contact with Ambition - after all, such deep mend could have an effect even without direct interference, which Irregular was certainly capable of, after all. Second, of protecting their mental conversations from attention. Even while Ambition could glimpse more from contact than he did, Ulkas was somewhat assured by his rather brute, if powerful methods. Ambition was not a “trueborn” mental master, indeed, even with his awe-inspiring strength and disruption proficiency. Third...

(Alright. I have checked my own mind as well as I could... Astrosa, we have a future problem. And rather big one. Currently, our interests are still aligned with Ambition and must remain so. While I am better at mind mastery and manipulation, he is, frankly speaking, a monster. His speciality, disruption, makes him very hard to influence and he used his time here to build an impregnable mental fortress of his own. Interesting solution. Ahem. He is also either resistant or semi-impervious to physical damage, as there was no true reaction to your threats.)

(To sum up, Astrosa, Liel, do not make hasty moves while we are here. The best solution would be to find items and information at Sateris facility that we can use to even out the situation. Irregular is not an enemy of ours, but partnership can be that only for equals, which we are not...yet.)

Check my mind. Search for terminal for Liel. Explain present situation to my companions.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 42
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:01 pm »

"Well struck! Now, let us finish these villains!"

Send my enthralled squires to mop up the rest of our foes, and attack whatever's left with my bone broadword. Artomal and Vel can keep doing what they're doing; they need no further orders from me. If all the enemies are slain by the time I get a chance to act, use mending instead, just in case something else pops up at us.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 22, 2021, 03:19:20 pm »

That's a really good point that I had forgotten. I will roll a second time for the next turn, with that in mind!

Turn 44 estimation: 1-2 days
Turn will be posted today! Probably in 8h from now, less if the stars align.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 23, 2021, 02:13:45 am »

Turn 44:

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Antarctic Wind. Seep. Deeper. Antarctic Wind.

Use Antarctic Wind to close the gaps in the armor and form more ice. Crush, constrain, pierce. Let the Mist sink deeper. Freeze the Blood to make more spikes of ice.

[GM correction: Nature Spirit has been misinterpreted by the GM. Attributes bonus will no longer depend on the form, and will use a variant of the Training rules.
The INT and IND bonuses will not apply, as I feel it would be way too much. The trait alone would essentially push the stats of a Stage 0 monster to that of a Stage 3 monster, from birth. This is too strong an effect for a Stage 0-1 monster.]

The Ice Troll flinched from the discomfort, which was enough to throw him into a fit of rage. Letting out another roar, it lashed at you as you attempted to break through its natural ice armor.
"You dare!"

[Antarctic Wind]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Icy wind burst out from the cracks you had infiltrated, causing decent damage to the armor, but less so to the Troll himself. Its natural disposition meant a much greater cold would be needed to seriously hurt him. If you could keep damaging them while avoiding getting hit yourself, you would surely win this battle of attrition.

[Ice Troll: Brute Force]

The Ice Troll swung wildly while peeling furiously its ice armor, to no avail. With more cracks to invade, they had opened themselves to more attacks.
The cave was lightly shaking from the Troll's brutal strength.

[Counterattack: Cold Mist]

You noticed a great and deeper crack within its armor, a perfect occasion to deal a serious blow to the monster. Quickly gathering within it, you activated the powers of your Mist. The Troll suddenly laughed.
"Hahaha fool!"

More through luck than its own intelligence, the Ice Troll had managed to get you where it wanted. The piece of armor you were in detached from the Troll's body, leaving you vulnerable to a counterattack.

[Troll Counterattack: Crush]

The Troll shattered the ice piece with part of you inside in a single blow, causing much damage to your misty form. [5/12]

Luck: [2]
Despite its low intelligence, the Ice Troll had a good battle sense. They felt you hadn't been killed by this blow, and were carefully watching the air for any suspicious movement.

Nearby Monsters:
-Ice Troll [Hostile] [Dangerous] (Lost 5HP)
[A tall and stout humanoid covered with an armour of ice. Its bony head is square and shaped like a roughly carved block of frozen rock. Strong and adapted to an icy climate, the Ice Troll is not a nice creature.]

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian's hopes sank as the dipter's wings ground to a halt and it's primal mind vanished from his grasp. He was powerless to stop their fall, and at best the only thing he could do was use it's body to try and cushion the hard landing.

Luck: [3]

As you plunged, the screaming wind made it hard to focus, causing you to huddle on the back of the dipter and hope you would come out unscathed from the fall. The ground was approaching at a dangerous speed. Before everything went black, you took a quick glance at the landscape. To think the world could take a colour other than the ashen gray of the deadlands...

Damage 1d8: [1] (9/17)

You came to your senses. The world was shaking, and you were covered in grim and ichor, but you were alive. And surprisingly, in one piece and barely hurt by the fall. You took a look around.

It wasn't an illusion. The ground was pale white, with strokes of bluish green. And these living strands of what you surmised was vegetation. Pale blue, the same color of the horizon you saw when crossing the wall. As the searing pain caused by the magical spell started to fade, you felt relief. As if an oppressive force had stopped pressing on you, as if all these lingering feelings of violence, hate, and destruction that were always present had vanished.

This place was peaceful. You looked further ahead.

Behind you the wall, towering and seemingly without horizontal end. Ahead of you, rolling hills of green and blue, with alive trees dancing in the wind.

Intelligence 1: Assessing the situation
Easy 8: [18]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

Peace does not preclude safety. The threat of the beings guarding the wall still exists, and it was highly unlikely your passage went unnoticed. You had to move, or hide. These beings, humans, they would come soon to investigate.

Nearby Beings:
- Mana-sucking Dipter [HP:-8] [Dead/Controlled]
A giant eyeless hairy mosquito with bird-like wings. Known to feed on mana, particularly fond of the mana of living beings. Known to be weak against mental attacks, and resistant against magic. Physical attributes average.
[The Mana-Sucking Dipter is being controlled by Azarian. 1MP will be drained per turn, and maybe more depending on the situation]

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Even if we'd won, we would have lost, as several carrion birds would have turned into strange monsters, bringing us that much closer to extinction.

Lets go for the murder, using Dirty Fighter in addition to a normal Slashing Claws attack.  Try and take out the Chasm Salamander.

If it dies, do not take up the essence.  Keep the essence in sight, and stay close enough to intervene before someone else can make a try for it.

Spoiler: Squacks (click to show/hide)

[Surprise Attack]

With a vicious strike to the neck of the Salamander, you struck a sensible location, temporarily disabling it and allowing you to immediately chain another attack.

[Successive Attack]

[Salamander Recovery (Con 0)]
Moderate 10: [15] -Success-

The bloodied Salamander, clinging on to its last resources, managed to move away. It attempted to escape by diving in the water.

[Acrobatic Flyer (Str 2)]
Easy 6: [13]
Outcome: [3] -Critical Success-

Having predicted the behavior of the creature, you snatched them one last time, finishing it. When the salamander expired, you saw strands of golden energy escaping and coalescing into a vague orb. You felt a connection, a calling. But you refused, causing the essence to linger, and seemingly dissipate.

1 Lesser Essence has dissipated

Nearby Beings:
- Chasm Salamander [Dead]

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-3 Carrion Birds [Motivated!]
-4 wounded Carrion Birds [In a cave, resting]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Gray the Unstable Prismetal Blaster (Beirus)
Gray was confused for a moment. The odd experience-it was an illusion, wasn't it? How else would he have fallen so far behind? But what if-. His suspicious worrying was interrupted by Brown's warning. It seemed a good opportunity to put his new glyph to the test.

Taking advantage of his Morphous form, Gray tries to drop his torso by liquefying his legs to avoid the grab before reforming them. Channeling energy into his Glyph of Truth, he slams his fist into the ground in an attempt to release the magic as an omnidirectional shockwave. He thought that might buy him enough time against the ethereal entity to reassess.

Utilize Morphous and Gray's Martial Art to dodge, then exert mana into Glyph of Truth and slam Fist of TruthTM into the ground to create Shockwave of TruthTM.

[Unidentified Being Grab]
Attacker Strength: 1
> Slight Surprise: +1
Defender Constitution: 2
> Advanced Martial Art / Morphous: +2
Attacker Check d20 vs 14
Roll: [18]

The illusionary creature managed to grab you with surprisingly quick movements, and it seemed to surround you with its transparent form, preventing you from escaping, and disrupting your ability to fistcast the Fist of Truth. The creature was groaning at you.

[Glyph Magic: Glyph of Truth (Intermediate)]

Struggling against the hold of the mysterious being, you managed to partially activate the Glyph of Truth into your fist. Unable to reach the ground, you focused mana into your first to create a weaker shockwave.

[Glyph of Truth vs Illusion]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A wave of power emanated from your fist, affecting the illusionary creature... who turned into Brown! Nearby appeared the Djinns and Spirits, who stood at a safe distance from you and Brown.
"Gray! Calm down, it's me, Brown!"

And where the false Brown once stood, a crevice leading to a high fall appeared. Your Glyph of Truth dispelled the Illusion, but you knew that with how awry it went, the casters must have noticed you and your abilities.

Nearby Monsters:
-10 Pacified Greater Sand Spirits [Allies]
-6 Pacified Djinns [Allies]
-Brown [Ally]

Spoiler: Gray Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)

During Prias' musing about the difficulty of learning the arcane arts

The ring resting on Prias' finger mused inwardly on the issue. He'd personally teach his wielder, but Eximius had a vague notion that his magic operates somewhat differently compared to the ones practiced by humans.

"Affinity for magic, natural talent and hard work. Once I grow stronger again, I think I'll be able to help you in one way or another..."

During the encounter with the gaunt monster

Eximius 'eyed' the creature from afar, devising a plan to swiftly dispatch it. Its height was an issue—going for the head wasn't much of an option until it was brought low, but there's still a different target that can be reached.

"It doesn't appear to be aware of our presence just yet, Prias. We should exploit that."

Eximius recommends sneaking up on the bat-like monster: delivering a strike supercharged with Sever or Crush to the back of its spine could prove quite devastating. Should Prias be discovered prematurely, Eximius would suggest keeping away while harassing it with Mana Waves to see what its capable of.

Eximius will allow Prias to freely use the Ring's supportive abilities as he sees fit. And of course, if Prias thought of a different approach, Eximius will hear it out.

Offtime: Magic Training
[Intelligence 1: Magic Training I]
Traits: [Of Erudition] (+2)
[Very Easy 2]: [10]
[Outcome]: [3] -Critical Success-

While by himself, Prias had a hard time, with your help and tutoring he managed to pick up the pace and understand what seemed once completely alien to him. And as you wisely said, the path of magic required hard work. The road ahead was still long.

For now, Prias could conjure the most basic elemental spells of the three energetic elements. Fire, Thunder, and Ice.

[Prias has acquired the skill: Basic Arcane Magic]

[Encounter: Starved Deadland Roamer]

"That sounds good. I thought of something, if I fail to sneak up on it, I could try to disorient it with a fire spell. Apart from this, I am on board to take care of this beast as usual."

Your host's idea didn't conflict with your plan, and it seemed like a good way to practice arcane magic in the heat of battle. You agreed with his idea. If it came to it a fire spell would be used to confuse the monster.

[Sneak Attack on open field]
Traits/Skills: Experienced Hunter (+2)
Easy-Moderate 8: [20] -Great Success-

Prias moved on, tailing the roaming bat-like monster while staying out of view, until an occasion to strike would present itself. With its dog-like skeletal head jerked left and right, scanning the area for life to destroy. Something distant caught its attention, causing it focus on some distant disturbance.

You felt Prias' thoughts becoming one of a hunter, silent and focused on its target. Its breath utterly silent, Prias approached with a very fast and silent step toward the creature, moving like a shadow without calling forth your powers. Once within range you took the shape of a short sword, and Prias activated Limiter Release in order to finish the fight as quickly as possible.

[Strength 2: Limiter Release]
Easy 6: [11]
Outcome: [1] -Success-
Damage 1d4: [2] > 18/20

[Surprise Attack: Sever&Crush]

Accumulating momentum with a wide slash, Prias struck the spine of the Bat-like monster with all its might in one clean lateral strike. Contrary to its appearance, the dry and shriveled flesh of the creature was incredibly tough. Worse, the cut didn't go all the way, and you were partially stuck in the flesh of the creature.
"Too shallow!" muttered Prias.

[Prias: Holding on Eximius (Strength 2+1)]
Easy 4: [1] -Critical Failure-

The monster screamed and wildly turned to face its attacker, and the worst happened. The violent motion of the monster caused Prias to lose hold of you!
You were still connected by your powerful bond, but you knew it would be harder for Prias to use your skills the longer you were separated.

Nearby Monsters:
-Starved Deadland Roamer [Hostile] [-5]
[Like most creatures of the deadland, it was gaunt in appearance, partway between a skeleton and a starved creature. It looked like a massive bat which had lost the ability to fly, with the skull of some sort of dog instead of a bat's. It was very tall, as tall as a small house. Its blackened eyes seemed to scan the landscape, and its gaping mouth would slaver if it had any saliva to produce.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas chuckled, greatly fascinated with everything that happened.

“I am all for extending our partnership, Ambition the Irregular, until the time we have to depart Sky Temple at least - by then, it should be more than obvious if we have enough in common to work for greater goals.”

“As the doors are closing, we are reasonably safe from outside threats. But the facility mind,  Sateris, was waking up and I will check our current level of access with the help of Liel. Try to wait just a little bit more in case there was an unexpected problem with our methods.”

Making a sign to Astrosa to wait a little bit more while searching for the requested terminal, Ulkas had a threefold task. First, of checking his mind for any traps or strange curios left by his contact with Ambition - after all, such deep mend could have an effect even without direct interference, which Irregular was certainly capable of, after all. Second, of protecting their mental conversations from attention. Even while Ambition could glimpse more from contact than he did, Ulkas was somewhat assured by his rather brute, if powerful methods. Ambition was not a “trueborn” mental master, indeed, even with his awe-inspiring strength and disruption proficiency. Third...

(Alright. I have checked my own mind as well as I could... Astrosa, we have a future problem. And rather big one. Currently, our interests are still aligned with Ambition and must remain so. While I am better at mind mastery and manipulation, he is, frankly speaking, a monster. His speciality, disruption, makes him very hard to influence and he used his time here to build an impregnable mental fortress of his own. Interesting solution. Ahem. He is also either resistant or semi-impervious to physical damage, as there was no true reaction to your threats.)

(To sum up, Astrosa, Liel, do not make hasty moves while we are here. The best solution would be to find items and information at Sateris facility that we can use to even out the situation. Irregular is not an enemy of ours, but partnership can be that only for equals, which we are not...yet.)

Check my mind. Search for terminal for Liel. Explain present situation to my companions.

[Renewed Partnership]
Ambition smiled at you, but you could not tell whether that smile was genuine or not, and what emotion it was meant to convey if any.
"I am pleased to renew our partnership."

One thing was sure, Ambition seemed distant, his thoughts elsewhere. With a forlorn gaze, your mysterious partner looked at the architecture of the temple.

[Organizing with Astrosa and Liel]

[Intelligence 7: Setting up Advanced Mental Protections]
Skill used: Advanced Mental Techniques
[Moderate 10]: [11]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

Before setting up a protection against unwanted listeners on your mental conversations, you probed your mind for traps or other anomalies left behind following your mental battle against Sateris automatic defences. Nothing seemed out of place, apart from the expected disturbance brought by the intensity of the entire ordeal.

Using your knowledge of mental techniques, you set up a mental safeguard over the mental channel you used to communicate with Astrosa and Liel. After a bit of quick testing, the protection seemed sturdy enough to prevent Ambition from listening uninvited. You then shared your thoughts with your allies. Expectedly, Liel was the first to react.

(Sateris... I have transmitted the facility's name to Xatares. There hasn't been any reply yet.)

You noticed that Astrosa hadn't unmade her spear. She was looking ahead, focused on something with the glowing golden Eyes of the Mighty. You called for her.
(Ulkas, this place... the scent of battle lingers. Terrible, terrible battles. I see something faint ahead, but this is strange. I feel some sort of uneasiness. Let's be very careful. As for our... "partner". Let us dispose of him once there is an occasion, he is a threat to us.)

You acknowledged her worries and the three of you progressed forward, pushing into the dim darkness of the temple.

[Inside Sateris]

The architecture of Sateris was similar to that of Xatares, but vastly different. Much more massive and impressive, there were next to no symbols of the ancient civilization on the walls or floor of the place. The platinum coloured surfaces gave off no light, the light of the day instead bringing a bit of illumination to the room through the various holes and cracks in the roof and upper areas of the Sateris facility.

This place was in a state of ruin unlike that of the Xatares installation. Unnatural holes that seemed to have been blasted through by some violent power, fissures and cracks in these near indestructible walls as numerous as in a building that barely survived from an earthquake. None of this damage was natural, unless some impossible tempest ravaged the place.

You arrived in front of a destroyed gate similar to that of the entrance. This one had a massive hole punched through, what created it was trying to get inside the temple. The hole was massive, more than half the size of the corridor whose roof was so high you could fly without feeling constrained. Ambition and Astrosa examined the damage. None said a word, but you could guess their thoughts. "What happened here?" is probably what they were wondering.

Behind the gate, the corridor continued. The luminosity was better here thanks to the increasing number of holes in the roof. Apart from the main path, there were two new smaller corridors: one curving left, and the other curving right. You flew over the gate's debris, and noticed something lying on the other side of the gate. The massive petrified remains of some creature that died a very long time ago.

It was some sort of half-humanoid monster, its lower body being that of a snake and its upper body being a torso with a pair of arms. Its head looked like that of a six-eyed snake. Its entire body was partially clad in a massive armour that was reminiscent of the Xatares Suits you had obtained. The left half of its body was missing, and a single hole the size of your torso was punching straight through what remained of its upper body. Next to the body was a terminal.

[Perception]
Easy 6: [8]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-
Liel was visibly very distressed. In turn, her distress caused you to instinctively tense up, possibly showing to the perceptive eye your own change of state. You sensed a thought from Liel.
(Impossible... an Arma grade... Protector...)

Ambition started to approach the body.

Nearby Monsters:
Ambition the Irregular [Stage 8] [Partnership]
> Source of a Field of Mind Manipulation
Approaching Gol Gimmun, Cradled Skydragon

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
"Well struck! Now, let us finish these villains!"

Send my enthralled squires to mop up the rest of our foes, and attack whatever's left with my bone broadword. Artomal and Vel can keep doing what they're doing; they need no further orders from me. If all the enemies are slain by the time I get a chance to act, use mending instead, just in case something else pops up at us.

[Fog Squires vs Enthralled Squires]

A fierce melee between the undead husks of the Fog ensued, with hazaphard swings and charges being thrown from both sides. Your squires had a clear upper hand, surely thanks to your regal presence. They managed to vanquish one of their foes, all the while avoiding damage themselves.

[Terrence: Bone Broadsword]

Next in the fashion of a true leader, you joined your minions in the battle. You swung the bone broadsword at your foes, without much success sure, but the thought was here. This is what counts, after all.

[Artomal: Spectral Rapier]

Artomal leapt forward to skewer one of the Squires, but managed to stumble and fall despite being a specter. The harassed Squire took upon itself to punish the Spectral Duelist with a fierce whack on the head.

[Fearless and Inspiring Fool is no longer active]

[Vel: Bound Arming Sword]

Focused on the battle, Vel executed one of the Squires with a clean blow.

Battle Conclusion d20 vs 6: [13] -Battle is concluding-
After a few more exchanges, all the remaining Squires apart from the enthralled ones were eliminated. Speaking of them, you hadn't decided what to do with the rest. Your two comrades looked at you with their undead eyes in an inquiring fashion.
"They look... tolerable when they are not trying to unkill us!"
"..." Vel didn't seem amused by Artomal, you could have sworn he sighed.

There is 4 Lesser Essence left to claim

Nearby Beings:
- Ambushers in the Fog: 8 Squires of the Fog (Str 1 Ind -1)

Squires Status:
S1: Enthralled
S2: Enthralled
S3: Enthralled
S4: Enthralled
S5 to S8: Defeated

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 44
« Reply #1149 on: May 23, 2021, 02:18:32 am »

This turn was full of combat. It was useful in testing a bunch of stuff, and I ended up deciding on the following for a rule update:

Combat changes:

1) Failed Attacks, Buffing Defense: a failed attack makes it easier to be hit.
> to-hit attribute +1-2 for counter attacker

2) Critical Hits, Critical Defense: add an explosive factor to combat while making attribute specialization interesting
a) Should be modified by difference between Attack Attribute and Defensive Attribute
> Base Crit Attack threshold = 20 | Increases/Decreases by 1 for every 2 points of difference between Attack Attribute and target Defense Attribute
> Base Crit Defense threshold = 1 | Increases/Decreases by 1 for every 2 points of difference between Attack Attribute and target Defense Attribute
> Rolling a 20 leads to a Critical Attack: Damage doubled
> Rolling a 1 leads to a Critical Defense: Initiate counterattack with half of used Defense Attribute added to Attack Attribute.

I'm working on a proper baseline rule for Training attributes. The rules will try to follow these thoughts:

- Training Attributes is possible during timeskip/overtime, actions taking a long time
- Attributes can only be trained to a certain cap, that should be determined by the base value of said Attribute
- It should be harder to train an already trained Attribute
- It should be harder to train an Attribute the more Attributes you have trained

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 23, 2021, 02:31:33 am »

Aww.  It was just a defenseless little creature.. but we need the food for the wounded. And it was much better than getting badly hurt.

Still reminds me too much of my friends.

Eat my fill and then carry back what I can.  Hopefully this will allow the others to heal up, now that we have an extra couple meals.

If we're okay, proceed further with the migration.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:45:11 am by Devastator »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 23, 2021, 07:55:05 am »

Azarian Cleansed himself of the monster's ichor before traveling in the direction of the treeline. He knew that he wanted to leave as little of a trail as possible as he fled, and doubtless the pulped monster coating them would rub off on the vegetation in such a way as to reveal which way they fled. He kept his senses open for other creatures, especially humans. They were strange, yet keenly intelligent and seemingly magically adept.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:39:40 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 23, 2021, 08:27:09 am »

Wait on the ground, if it tries to attack, run away using the wind of the blow. If it doesn't focus on recovering.

(I'll revisit it once I reach that stage then.)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 23, 2021, 03:19:12 pm »

As Gray had worried, it was indeed an illusion. He could only be glad he had managed to break it without harming anyone. "Sorry, Brown. The illusion was more insidious than I thought, even with the spiritual protection.  And they likely know we are here now. We must move quickly and remain wary, to limit their ability to ambush us. I don't like illusions." Gray said as he glanced around to find the path.

So much for stealth. Onward to the spring! If shady stuff starts happening again, see if Gray can filter energy through his Glyph of Truth and back into his body to break any possible illusion, which would hopefully be more efficient than just making shockwaves.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 24, 2021, 06:50:43 pm »

"Excellent work! This marks one more victory on our path to escape from these lands, and ascension to power. These squires shall remain with us, and their blades will aid us on our quest. I predict we will meet many more postmortals, and many of them shall recognize their leader and join our cause, just as these noble few have. As our army grows, so too shall we! To victory, gentlemen!"

Terrence uses his mending ability to heal up. If there are no objections, let us continue onward, with the enthralled squires taking point so that we won't be surprised if they decide to go back to attacking us for some reason. Terrence values and appreciates his new, low-ranking soldiers, but has yet to totally trust their loyalty.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 99