Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 211905 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 31
« Reply #870 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:09 am »

greet it peacefully with telepathy, but stay hidden from sight and be ready to move away if hostile.
”Greetings stranger. I am Azarian, a seeker of knowledge. My travels have led me to this place in hopes to learn and grow. Who are you, puppeteer of the dead?”

You’re fine nakeen! I am quite relieved and overjoyed at your return in fact, since you are quite good with weaving the tales together even when there was little to start with other than a concept of a character! Not everyone can be imaginative enough to do that over such a long span of time, and yet you do so effectively!
Even If you arnt able to continue the story, you have a place among friends here and shouldn’t forget it. You can’t disappoint us, though your long disappearance did have a few of us worried. It’s good to see you are alive and well, and I pray you stand firm in the face of your depression knowing that people on the internet care about you!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:50:52 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 21, 2018, 11:08:06 am »

You’re fine nakeen! I am quite relieved and overjoyed at your return in fact, since you are quite good with weaving the tales together even when there was little to start with other than a concept of a character! Not everyone can be imaginative enough to do that over such a long span of time, and yet you do so effectively!
Even If you arnt able to continue the story, you have a place among friends here and shouldn’t forget it. You can’t disappoint us, though your long disappearance did have a few of us worried. It’s good to see you are alive and well, and I pray you stand firm in the face of your depression knowing that people on the internet care about you!
This! So much of this! Dustan, you have perfectly encapsulated the feelings of myself and so many others here! You can't disappoint us, Nakeen, and we're all pushing for you to stand tall and firm against depression!

...anyway, I'll put up some pre-turn dialogue up next here. So glad to see you back again, Nakeen!

Terrence corralled the essence from the rippers, knowing it would have to be absorbed soon else it would fade.
Bravely fought once again, my friend. I am not in the best of shapes, but it seems you have suffered yet worse than I. But then, of course, comes the matter of divvying our spoils... Artomal, have you any use for these creatures' essence?
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 21, 2018, 12:26:28 pm »

Are any of my flock's corpses about?  A carrion bird shouldn't be picky, after all.  Eat up if I find some bodies.  If not,  start flying along similar terrain, north or south, looking for one of three things.  More birds like me, to see if I can join a new pack, a large, dangerous ground creature, or a nest or lair where some other creature's young are born.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 21, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »

Go'Von
The situation looks bleak, but perhaps we can turn this around? Dash in the direction that the arrow came from, if we see the unseen hunter, grab him and chuck him at the spear wielding hunter. If we don't find the unseen hunter, try to grab onto the spear and throw said spear at the visible hunter.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 21, 2018, 10:17:35 pm »

"I hope so. Maybe they'll be like the one we met in the Copper Desert when we first set out. Oh, maybe they know new glyphs or magic. Like sand magic! Since sand is like desert dirt. That would be neat for you to learn. I don't know that we'll always be fighting things we could harm by hitting, so the option could be helpful." Gray responds excitedly.

Into the valley! We're off to see a wizard, so we can be wizardly blobs.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 22, 2018, 07:47:20 am »

((I'm not very good at words and I tend to just repeat what others say, but I'm very happy to see you back. I really missed you and I was starting to get worried too, and I'm glad to hear that you are now feeling better.))

Viridikion slowly crawls into a corner of the room and rests while digesting his recent meal and thinking about the recent events (which basically were his whole existence.)

"Confusing, confusing, confusing. Ebes? It clearly was not like me, me. I am like me. I'm Viridikion..? I like this name, it's a nice name. But Ebes, it's not like me, though. I see my arms, green, scaly arms. Ebes, It doesn't have green arms, no scales. What am I? Where am I? Explore this nest, explore the "room"!

Outside, I like the sun. But it's all rocks, just bland rocks... Doesn't look alive, no. Rocks of all shapes and sizes, but no green life. Boring, boring! I'll stay in this place, like Ebes said!"
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 22, 2018, 08:52:04 am »

((I'm also really glad to see you back Nakéen. Well appreciate this game very much, and you are one of the best GMs I've ever seen. I hope you'll be ok ^^))

Head towards the base of the tree with your pack. If you get the occasion, mention the tournament idea you had earlier during the meeting. ((Link back to the tournament idea post : here ))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 22, 2018, 12:27:24 pm »

[Essence went to Ulkas and, as I reminded in PM, Lesser essence is useless for all but farming now.]

"Hm... Suboptimal, but would do. Being underground, it should be lacking in aerial combat, but our best bet is still to ease off its attention."

Ulkas grinned evilly:

"How about visiting this city? It could be a useful distraction, or, if worst comes, we would use inhabitants as a bait and expendable resources. Plus, beacon is nearby and if monster does not show much progress, we could reap the rewards right in time to continue onwards..."

"With my next transformation so close at hand, I am feeling much irate by this sudden disruption, but it pays to be careful. So if we happen by some stage 3 monster - I'll brainwash and take one with me, for quick transformation in a pitch instead of getting more attention."

Some architecture sightseeing is in menu.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 22, 2018, 09:40:18 pm »

Next turn more than 90% done! No need to rush though, I will wait for you all. Take your time thinking your actions :)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 22, 2018, 10:22:23 pm »

sorry, its just that we’re so eager to play your forum games again!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:18 pm »

More turns! :D

I'm much interested in how event would unfold
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:27 am »

Oh shit! I nearly missed a turn. Thanks for the reminder, Nakeen. Wasn't checking the forums for 2-3 days. ._.'

Welcome back.

Alright then. Seems like I can evolve, so...

"We've both grown stronger, kid. Shall we test our skills against a stronger enemy?"

Eximius suggests hunting down a stronger monster. Though he'll hear out Prias if he has a counter-offer.

He'd also suggest asking Veras if he has any healing potions or the like they could take. He'd rather not have a repeat of before.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 32
« Reply #882 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:11 am »

Turn 32:

Turn 31

Squelchy, the Omnislime (Coolrune206)
Name : Squelchy
Species : Apex Slime
Appearance : An incredibly large slime that shines like an opal. A glimmering light can be seen in the core.
HP or MP increase : HP
Attributes increased : STR by 2
Traits gained :
Massive: Being so large has the added bonus that smaller foes are almost insignificant to Squelchy, causing it to both take less damage from and deal more damage to smaller targets.
Toxin-Resistant: Squelchy's makeup has shifted so that toxins, venoms, and poisons have little to no effect on it.
Inspiring: Whenever Squelchy attains success in combat, its allies are inspired to perform slightly better in the same turn.
Skills gained :
Genesis: Squelchy can split off portions of its body to create new pseudo-slimes, that act more like autonomous drones than normal slimes. Doing this causes harm to Squelchy dependent on how much matter it releases to forge the new slimes.
Body Slam (replaces pounce): Squelchy flings itself high into the air before allowing gravity to carry its body into its foe, dealing not only damage to the target, but also any other entities in the area.
Resonate: By vibrating its body at incredible frequencies, Squelchy can release disorienting waves that deafen and numb all non-slime entities that are within a moderate range.

//

Welcome back Nakeen c:

I'm gonna read back a bit then post an action along with my transformation.

In between the time you started hunting and were told to leave, you evolved into an Apex Slime. Bigger, stronger and brighter.

(Don't worry about your action, just post it later and I will quickly process it and add it there. Then you will be able to act for the next turn right away.)

Oh, I edited my action into the same post as my transformation. You must've started writing the turn by then. I'll put it here for convenience's sake.

After transforming, Squelchy takes his group of slimes and one again sets out in search of a safer place for them to reside.

You bid farewell to Xorosk, and set out once more to find your promised land...

Travel: [4]
Luck: [3]

Through a combination of fortitude and careful movements, you managed to avoid detection from the patrolling Elemanoptera. Their territory was huge and growing, forcing you to stay on the move. Days went by without finding a suitable place. Danger was constantly looming, and the safe places you rested by were but temporary.

The future of the community often came up during discussion. What if there is no place for us? Should we keep wandering, or settle down and fight for a home? Maybe the promised land was far, very far from the jungles. Maybe not. The slimes were restless, as were you. But your camaraderie didn't wane, and they all trusted the future would be bright as long as they remained together.

You came across a great tree, whose branches grew above the canopy of other trees. You climbed up to scout the place. Far to the East, you could discern mountains. Heading there would most likely mean leaving the jungle. Unfortunately, there was nothing interesting you could see apart from these mountains and the endless sea of green.

As you started climbing down, you spotted a curious bird. It had a great wingspan, and its feathers were white and sleek. You were a bit curious, though you didn't know if hailing him was a sensible idea or not.

[You are a bit more knowledgeable of the Northern Savarde Jungle. Avoiding dangerous encounters will be easier during travelling.]

Spoiler: Squelchy Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Wait for something to pass by.

//

I am born! Glad to see you again, Nakeen.

Spoiler: for Reference (click to show/hide)

[FF]Nature Spirit(Ice) should be somewhat active in these conditions, though if I turned to mist I'd probably get blown away right now..

[Nature Spirit] (Active)

[Wait]
Luck: [1]

You remain freely swaying in the raging blizzard, feeling at ease in your element. You wait for a somebody or something to pass by...

Finally the outline of a humanoid figure can be seen through the thick blanket of storming snow. It is tall from a glance, and slender. A normal creature would have difficulties seeing through the snow, but to you, seeing through a blizzard shouldn't pose too much of a challenge.

[Perception]
[Easy] 6: [4]
Outcome: [5] -Partial Success-

There is something odd, you can't really see that creature properly. It is as if the creature is melding in the snow... You can make out horns and a tail, and that's overall it. It is walking toward your direction, but it doesn't seem be heading for you.

Nearby Monsters:
-Horned humanoid?

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
greet it peacefully with telepathy, but stay hidden from sight and be ready to move away if hostile.
”Greetings stranger. I am Azarian, a seeker of knowledge. My travels have led me to this place in hopes to learn and grow. Who are you, puppeteer of the dead?”

You attempt communicating with the being. Surely an intelligent creature should know some etiquette.

[First Contact]
[Easy-Moderate] 8: [4]
Outcome: [6] -Partial Success-

There is a silence, and the Ogres stand there for a moment. Finally a voice rises from the dark corridor.
"Azarian who trespasses... Your presence is not welcome. Begone, begone. Fighting can be avoided."

This one doesn't seem amicable enough to let you in as it is, it would seem.

Nearby Monsters:
-2 Undead Ogres (Res [-1]+1)
-1 Unknown Controller

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
This! So much of this! Dustan, you have perfectly encapsulated the feelings of myself and so many others here! You can't disappoint us, Nakeen, and we're all pushing for you to stand tall and firm against depression!

...anyway, I'll put up some pre-turn dialogue up next here. So glad to see you back again, Nakeen!

Terrence corralled the essence from the rippers, knowing it would have to be absorbed soon else it would fade.
Bravely fought once again, my friend. I am not in the best of shapes, but it seems you have suffered yet worse than I. But then, of course, comes the matter of divvying our spoils... Artomal, have you any use for these creatures' essence?

[Artomal]
Flavor: [6]

"My... Oh... Kindred souls I see? Indeed I have uses for this peculiar substance. I wouldn't mind a balanced sharing, ah yes."

"Would you look at that. Another like "us"? Strange powers attract each others, it seems."

Vel took a seat next to a carcass, bathing in the spilling unlife force.

Nearby Monsters:
-Artomal, 'Gentleman' Specter Ally
-8 Undead Rippers (humanoid, 4 to 6 clawed arms, no armor)
Vs Terrence:
> two fled
> one dead
Vs Vel:
> one dead
> one dead
> one fled
Vs Artomal:
> two dead

Spoiler: Terrence Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Are any of my flock's corpses about?  A carrion bird shouldn't be picky, after all.  Eat up if I find some bodies.  If not,  start flying along similar terrain, north or south, looking for one of three things.  More birds like me, to see if I can join a new pack, a large, dangerous ground creature, or a nest or lair where some other creature's young are born.

There are none of your flock's corpses around, as you had to flee in-extremis from the aggressor. You still have the remaining torn wing of one of your once-stooge still gripped tight in your talons. You had tried to pull them out of harm, though you obviously failed.

Your respects quickly given, you snacked on the wing. A toast to a new beginning?

[Fly Around]
Luck: [5]

You flew away with three things of interest in mind. And somehow, you found the three of them at the same time.

After some scouting of the area, you spotted a sentry carrion bird, flying in circles high in the sky. Great news! You headed for the location: the remains of a vicious battle between monsters, with the defeated's dead body being feasted on by Carrion Birds like you.

And it so happened you knew them, your flock had encounters with them in the past. Some a bit tense, some friendly, though overall there was a mutual feeling of camaraderie and maybe competition between your flocks. Seeing you alone and battered, they suspected the worse (they were right), yet still welcomed you to partake in a nice meal.

You took a look at the carcass. It was some hulking humanoid with a thick hide in its prime, its upper body -at least what remained of it- was three times bigger than its lower body. You don't know what happened to it, but the area above the armpits had been completely blown apart. Now, its flesh was crawling with very large maggots, the size of a small mammal. Some giant insect must have laid its eggs before the Carrion Birds arrived. Lucky! Those were a delicacy.

A Carrion Bird with pale gray and white feathers landed next to you. As you were stuffing yourself with a maggot, he asked with a worried tone.
"What happened to the others?"

Nearby Monsters:
-About fifteen Carrion Birds (Friendly)

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Go'Von, the Strangler Ooze (Puppyguard)
Go'Von
The situation looks bleak, but perhaps we can turn this around? Dash in the direction that the arrow came from, if we see the unseen hunter, grab him and chuck him at the spear wielding hunter. If we don't find the unseen hunter, try to grab onto the spear and throw said spear at the visible hunter.

There was no time to lose hope. You quickly sprung into action.

[Dash toward the arrow]
[Moderate-Hard] 12: [9]-1 (Wounded -1)
Outcome: [4] -Failure-

You rushed as fast as possible in the direction of the arrow, but you were not fast enough! The hunter had already moved away. With the spear still in your possession, you turned toward the other hunter, who had changed position but remained visible.

[Spear throw]
(Str 1 vs Con 1): [11]-2 (Wounded -2) vs [12]+1 (Shield 2 Surprise -1)

You threw the spear at the hunter, catching him off-guard! Had it not been for his quick reflexes, the spear would definitely have wounded him. He deflected it barely.

Flavor: [6]
A sudden conspiracy of multi-eyed ravens flew high above you. They were screaming in unison.
"Ambition is on the move! Ambition is on the move!"

They disappeared in the north-east. And just as they did, you heard a sharp whistling sound and your opponent hurriedly retreated. Yet you still felt uneasy, why was that?

[Perception]
[Moderate] 10: [7]
Outcome: [6] -Partial Success-

A bestial presence is hiding around you. That one is a monster for sure, it is not even hiding its killing intent, unlike the hunters who erased their presences. [Note, you may try to prevent the hunter from retreating if you so wish]

Nearby Beings:
-1 Marandarsian Hunter (Retreating, not so nearby)
-1 Unseen Marandarsian Hunter (Retreating, not so nearby)
-1 Unseen Monster [Hostile]

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Gray the Unstable Prismetal Blaster (Beirus)
"I hope so. Maybe they'll be like the one we met in the Copper Desert when we first set out. Oh, maybe they know new glyphs or magic. Like sand magic! Since sand is like desert dirt. That would be neat for you to learn. I don't know that we'll always be fighting things we could harm by hitting, so the option could be helpful." Gray responds excitedly.

Into the valley! We're off to see a wizard, so we can be wizardly blobs.

Brown mused. Sand magic... He started fidgeting out of excitation.
"That's an idea that interests me. Ho! Let's go!"

The two of you headed into the valley, on a quest for wizards and magic...

Luck: [1]

You walked for a while, hearing only the whispers of the winds and the sounds of your steps. At times shuffling as you walked through patches of sand, at times crackling as your stepped on the rocky ground of the valley.

You started noticing that the wind was getting stronger and stronger, the whispers louder and louder, as well as more audible. What you first dismissed was in fact quite real. Brown and you confirmed that this was not an illusion, both of you could hear and feel it. The whispers turned to howls, and then to screams.

The wind was as strong as one would expect. You had endured sandstorms before, and this wind paled in comparison. But the noise, oh the screams. They resonated in your body. And now you could hear it properly.

Hate. So much hate.

The words were inaudible. Were they even words of a known language? You didn't understand their meanings, but you understood the murderous feelings behind them.

[Perception]
[Hard] 14: [2]
Outcome: [3]

Your senses were disoriented by these screams and the overbearing hostile presence. It seemed everywhere at once. You tried speaking to Brown, but the screams were covering even the sound of your voice.

[Brown Perception]
[Hard] 15: [11]
Outcome: [1]

Neither could Brown make out head or tail of his surroundings. He seemed to be getting confused.

Nearby Monsters:
-Something in the sands...

Spoiler: Gray Status (click to show/hide)

Viridikion the Green Dragon Hatchling (randomgenericusername)
((I'm not very good at words and I tend to just repeat what others say, but I'm very happy to see you back. I really missed you and I was starting to get worried too, and I'm glad to hear that you are now feeling better.))

Viridikion slowly crawls into a corner of the room and rests while digesting his recent meal and thinking about the recent events (which basically were his whole existence.)

"Confusing, confusing, confusing. Ebes? It clearly was not like me, me. I am like me. I'm Viridikion..? I like this name, it's a nice name. But Ebes, it's not like me, though. I see my arms, green, scaly arms. Ebes, It doesn't have green arms, no scales. What am I? Where am I? Explore this nest, explore the "room"!

Outside, I like the sun. But it's all rocks, just bland rocks... Doesn't look alive, no. Rocks of all shapes and sizes, but no green life. Boring, boring! I'll stay in this place, like Ebes said!"

You went on an exploration of the room to pass time. Your nest was a circular room of white stone, it was just the right temperature. Neither too hot, nor too cold. You noticed a fresco on the ceiling. It was your first time seeing art, and your felt your chest tighten in awe.

A great humanoid with a sacred halo behind his head was extending his many arms, covering -protecting?- the land and its inhabitants. Creatures of all shapes and origins, you recognized humans -like the priest- and dragons -like you-. You stared at the ceiling for quite a while.

The door opened gently, dragging you out of your reverie.

"Virikidion."

It was Ebes. He made an inviting motion and said something. He seemed to be telling you to come. You happily followed, netting you another smile from the kind man.

(...)

He closed the door behind you. You were in a large corridor lined with arches, with a stone a bit more yellow than your room. Tall unlit candlesticks were disposed along the corridor. You obediently followed the priest, who didn't put a leash on you nor threaten you. You noticed many doors like yours, other nests?

You kept walking through other corridors, then stairs. You passed by other humans along the way, they all bowed in your direction. Or was it Ebes direction? You couldn't tell for sure.

Finally you reached a grand room, much bigger than your nest, and with great pillars supporting its ceiling. There was another fresco on it, the same figure with many arms and a halo was there, carrying in his hands beings of all kinds. Ebes motionned you to stop. He then took ten steps forward and turned to face you, blocking the corridor behind.

Now, he is standing at a crossroad. On his left and right, two paths.
The left path seems to lead to a green and lush forest, the scent of wood and nature is inviting. It is compelling, drawing you.
The right path seems to lead to a corridor exactly like the ones you passed through. There is only the scent of rock coming from it.

Ebes explained something, whether or not his listener could understand, he meticulously spoke.
"You are still newborn Virikidion, as such now is the best time for you to choose your path.
To your left, is the path to freedom. You will walk the path of the dragon. You will be at one with nature and its dangers, as well as your nature and its potential. It is likely we won't meet again.
To your right, is the path of humans. You will walk to the side of man. You will be taught, you will be nurtured, but you will have to learn control, restraint. It is likely you won't be able to live with other of your kin.
Whichever you choose, I know you will walk in the ways of the Titanic Father."

He then walked toward the right path, and stood next to its entrance. He then said with a voice filled with force.

"Choose, Virikidion! The path of Man, or the path of the Dragon?"

Nearby Beings:
-Ebes, Tymarch High-Priest

Spoiler: Viridikion Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
((I'm also really glad to see you back Nakéen. Well appreciate this game very much, and you are one of the best GMs I've ever seen. I hope you'll be ok ^^))

Head towards the base of the tree with your pack. If you get the occasion, mention the tournament idea you had earlier during the meeting. ((Link back to the tournament idea post : here ))

As many others, you headed for the base of the tree closely followed by your pack. Eventually came a time when you had to separate from them: all the Makralians had stopped to form three quarters of a circle around the tree, except for the leaders who gathered there.

You kept on walking, leaving the proximity of the crowd...

Flavor: [5]
Luck: [4]

The pack leaders advanced, supported by an applause of howling, clapping and snapping. There were Makralians everywhere you could see, and all of them focused on the chosen fews... The 48 Makralian Pack Leaders.

There was a hidden hierarchy among the pack leaders. It was silently agreed that the bigger the pack over one's command, the higher the standing of the leader. In that way, it could be said that there were 8 greater pack leaders and 40 lesser pack leaders.

Your attention quickly shifted to the 8 Makralians standing heads above the others as they stood on the roots of the tree. They were all at least twice bigger and taller than the average Makralian, and carried with them an air of finesse and charisma. And of course, they exuded strength. Each of them had their own physical characteristics, some barely looked Makralians too.

It just so happened that one of them called out for silence. This Makralian had no fur, and his body bore terrible scars. It was impossible to differentiate the scars from burns and those from old wounds.

His jaw snapped thrice, and then he roared. The crowd fell silent.
"Brothers and sisters! I am proud to see all of us gathered under the Elder Tree! Now, may the Reunion begins!"

A Makralian Leader at his side spoke right as he finished his last word, hinting you of an association of some sort. This Makralian was massive and very bulky, he looked like the strongest of the leaders, and he had a very characteristic vermillion fur.
"But first, there is something we must do. As you all know, the past Reunions were great events during which the chosen ones decided of the future of the Makralian packs as a whole. Now is no exception, save for the actual chosen ones. There will be a test this time."

A puzzled murmur brewed among the crowd, which stopped when the Vermillion Leader made a sharp sound. A red Makralian nimbly climbed down from the tree, carrying with him an agonizing marsupial monster. The Leader took the barely alive creature, and said to the lesser leaders.
"Line up."

They, including you, doubted for a moment.
"Ah don't worry, this is nothing dangerous. I mean it."

Eventually the leaders lined up, and the Vermillion Leader executed the creature. Its feeble essence flew out of its body, and the Leader promptly caught it and somehow prevented it from dissipating. He then passed before each lesser leader.

The Essence reacted to some, and didn't react to others. You were among those who had a reaction, naturally.
"All right, all of you can return to the crowd." he said mercilessly to those who generated no reaction.

Some started opening their jaws to protest, but before they could even utter a word, they saw the crushing gaze of the 8 Greater Leaders. None would have contested now.

"A new age is at hand for the Makralians! Among you, there are chosen ones. Those who have the potential will rise, and the others will follow. Any objection?"

This is the moment you choose to make your suggestion. In your words, you said:
"I think the alliance is doomed to fail unless we have a strong and undisputed leader to rule it. The leader should be decided with a tournament among Makralians, this way he can't be contested. All Makralians who are interested should be allowed to participate."

"That is a bold suggestion, what is your name leader?"

Shnapa.

"Leader Shnapa, do you intend to turn all the packs against each others so that one may rule above all? To risk the whole future of the Makralian packs, carefully crafted over countless Reunions, by giving it to a single of them?"

He looked at the other Greater Leaders. They all had the same blazing glint in the eyes. That of a raging ambition. They all nodded silently. The Vermillion Leader smiled devilishly, his smile nearly reaching up to his eyes. His smile sent shivers in the spines of many.

"Of course we will risk it."

Nearby Monsters:
-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians
-The 8 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:58:02 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:27 am »

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
[Essence went to Ulkas and, as I reminded in PM, Lesser essence is useless for all but farming now.]

"Hm... Suboptimal, but would do. Being underground, it should be lacking in aerial combat, but our best bet is still to ease off its attention."

Ulkas grinned evilly:

"How about visiting this city? It could be a useful distraction, or, if worst comes, we would use inhabitants as a bait and expendable resources. Plus, beacon is nearby and if monster does not show much progress, we could reap the rewards right in time to continue onwards..."

"With my next transformation so close at hand, I am feeling much irate by this sudden disruption, but it pays to be careful. So if we happen by some stage 3 monster - I'll brainwash and take one with me, for quick transformation in a pitch instead of getting more attention."

Some architecture sightseeing is in menu.

Astrosa smiled.
"Humans mmh? It's been a while since we have played with insects, isn't it? Let's watch for those who bite of course."

Liel made a quick comment.
"I feel a bit out of the loop, is there something in particular you people have against humans?"
"They are disgustingly weak, yet so tenacious. For some reason, I have expectations of them. I can't remember why though. But my expectations were never met, and for that reason, I greatly enjoy tormenting them."
"Hmm, I will keep your interests in mind."
"Well, only one person managed to meet my expectations..."

She smiled at you. You smiled back, and couldn't help but bow to your queen.
"Shall we then? Show us the path Ulkas."

You flew forward, toward the human city.

Flavor: [3]
Luck: [2]

[Perception]
[Moderate-Hard] 12: [13]
Outcome: [4] -Success-

From a distance, you scouted the architecture of the city. The first thing you saw were the great walls of stones lined with watchtowers. Then there was a tower in the center of the city, sort of like a lighthouse.

As you kept approaching, you sensed agitation and hostility in the minds of the humans. They had sensed you, you were certain of it. Astrosa gleefully told you These humans... all of them are much stronger, oh so much stronger than the ones of Fordania. But still no match for us.

You saw a conspiracy of multi-eyed ravens flying toward the North-East. They were screaming in unison:
"Ambition is on the move! Ambition is on the move!"

You dismissed them for now, as you noticed something annoyingly dangerous. Ballistae, soon ready to fire on you. As for the Stage 8 Monster, it was still around. Was it watching?

Nearby Monsters:
[!!!]Unknown Stage 8 Monster (Tailing you from the underground)
-Countless Humans
> Ballistae!

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
Alright then. Seems like I can evolve, so...

"We've both grown stronger, kid. Shall we test our skills against a stronger enemy?"

Eximius suggests hunting down a stronger monster. Though he'll hear out Prias if he has a counter-offer.

He'd also suggest asking Veras if he has any healing potions or the like they could take. He'd rather not have a repeat of before.

You changed during one your many hunts, a small jewel appearing on you. This time, Prias was much less surprised. He was starting to be able to feel your change without you needing to say anything, in his words.

Of course, your change of appearance didn't go unnoticed by Prias' close friends. They inquired about it, and Prias managed to weave some tale about it.

[Suggestion:Hunt a big Monster!]
[Easy] 5: [9]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

"I was thinking something along those lines. We have been getting stronger lately, and the monsters that I once feared no longer pose much of a challenge anymore. I wish to know my new limits, is it too selfish?"

Prias was on board with your suggestion. Then during one of your visits to Veras, you personally asked for healing potions or anything in the same vein.

"Ah you turn up at a bad time. My materials are nearly exhausted, I only have this to spare."

He handed you two dark green potions with a slightly mucky texture.
"This one is unsuitable for drinking though, apply the mixture on wounds and it will heal in a matter of minutes. It won't restore broken bones or ruptured organs though, also, do not under any circumstance drink it! It won't kill you, but you will be unable to stop vomiting."

[One healing potion (apply to use) acquired]

Before even preparing for a hunt, there was something important Prias needed to do. Tell his friends about his plan, as he had promised to avoid leaving them in the dark. That night during the dinner, the young man dropped the bomb.

"I intend to go hunt a Hearteater."

Septor choked on his drink, Iseis just stood mouth agap, and Sandra shouted a "What?!" that made the whole room tremble. There was a very short silence.
"A Hearteater?! Do you even remember what happened the last time the villagers encountered one?!"

The brother instinctively held his now healed arm, while the little sister gulped.
"Four hunters died, and Septor was cursed by the Hearteater! Do you have a death wish? You promised that you wouldn't throw your life away! You promised that-"

Wait what? You didn't know that, and made a mental note to ask Prias about it. Anyway, Sandra was red with rage, and had stopped for some reason. She started getting teary-eyed, was it the rage or something else? She gritted her teeth, trying to contain her trembling voice.
"Don't look at me like that... Come on it's- it's unfair!"

"It's okay, it will be okay. I'm strong now. Stronger than ever before."
"Of course you are, we know you are... But does it really mean you need to risk your life? And why the Hearteater, why not one of these horrors from the Deadland? Or any other monster of the mountains? Is it still about your father?..."
"Yeah. That is something I have to do. Of course revenge is part of it, but it's most importantly about overcoming an obstacle, a wall that's preventing me from advancing."
"You big idiot... what, do you think you are a Hero or something? You are just a man..."

Septor interrupted.
"Big sis. You know that's no longer really the case. Ever since he came back from the mountain."
"Maybe Prias really is a Hero?"

The elder sister slammed her fist on the table, silencing everyone. She was trying to say something, to articulate a word.
"THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

And then she stormed out of the room. Prias and the two remaining siblings spoke a bit. Septor and Iseis respected his decision, and had vowed to support him. They knew how strong he had become, and that if a villager could kill a Hearteater, it was him. "I'm sure Sandra is the one that wants to support you the most, but it's also the hardest for her" they said. "We don't want to be obstacles on your way to... whatever you are aiming for. On the contrary". Afterward, Prias went to have a talk with Sandra. She was waiting in her bedroom, sitting on the bed.

"What. Are you here to apologize and tell me you changed your mind?"
"I'm sorry."
"And?"
"I will kill a Hearteater. But I can't do it without your support."

She sighed.
"You know, ever since you came back from the mountain, I have been unable to know how I should feel. Do you know how terrified we were when you disappeared to find the last ingredient for the remedy? We thought for sure you would die, and I blamed myself for not stopping you. Then, do you know how overjoyed I was when you miraculously came back alive? And how even more terrified I was of losing you for good this time?"
"I know. There was not a single moment I didn't feel the fear of losing you and the others when I was away."
"Then why can't you just stop? Seriously, why?"

Prias gripped at his chest.
"There... is this urge. It's calling me, to keep going forward. And then, there is all of you. I know I will be able to protect all of you now, I know I can avert the tragedies that happened in the past. My parents, your parents, our friends... Never again. I would risk anything not to know this pain again."

He continued.
"I know I can do it. I can protect all of you, and return to all of you."

He turned to face her, his resolute gaze met her begging gaze.
"Prias... you are still the same Prias right? Now and forever, you will remain the same?"
"Yes."

She half-forced a smile.
"You better come back okay?"
"I will."

Both genuinely smiled. Prias renewed his promise that night, to come back.

(...)

The next day, with the blessings of his dearest friends, Prias prepared carefully. Traps, food and water rations, as well as all kind of survival equipment. This morning, Septor had said to him "You better not disappoint us".

Once set and ready to go, the two of you left for the nearby mountain where you had first met, to hunt a Hearteater. Prias told you everything. A Hearteater had killed his father and his hunting group years ago. Then before you met, another attacked the village, killing several villagers and wounding Septor. You could say he had a personal grudge against them.

These monsters were black, very slender humanoids with long clawed arms and a white, completely round head with two bloodshoot eyes moving erratically and a mouth with innumerable sharp teeth. Their claws were coated with a deadly poison that would devour the flesh of its victims, leaving only the heart. Healing potions could only slow down the rate of decay, and a mere drop of poison would eventually consume a body in a few days if left untreated. Prolonged exposure accelerated the process, he remembered seeing people being impaled by a Hearteater, and then melting still alive in a matter of seconds.

Luck: [2]
Unfotunately, Veras had no antidote left. As such, getting hit by the poison was not an option.

Nearby Monsters:
-None!

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:58:15 pm by Nakéen »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2018, 03:58:42 am »

Oh, I edited my action into the same post as my transformation. You must've started writing the turn by then. I'll put it here for convenience's sake.

After transforming, Squelchy takes his group of slimes and one again sets out in search of a safer place for them to reside.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 99