Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214791 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 33
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:57 pm »

"This place looks fine. Let's fight it here, kid."

Perhaps a spiked pit or concealed stakes to impale the creature upon? Rope at leg level to trip it? Eximius is no hunter - aside from giving some ideas, he's perfectly fine with leaving the exact nature of the traps to Prias.

But the more traps we have, the better.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »

Not paying much attention to the necklace, try to use my sharp claws to climb a tree and have a look around. I want to meet others that are like me, like dragons. If the trees have fruit, try to grab and eat some.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2018, 11:59:07 pm »

Growth?  I'm an adult carrion bird.  This is as big as we get.

"I'd be happy to come with you if you decide to relocate, but I think we should ambush one of these wyverns first.  They only got us because we were suprised.  I think if we send a few scouts and find a new place to live, the rest of us can find one wyvern seperated from the group and kill it.  Then, if they come back for reprisal, we've already left and they'll find nothing.  Plus, there will be one wyvern fewer if they should choose to attack us later."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:46:48 am by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 28, 2018, 07:41:28 pm »

((Hey Nakeen, I wanted to ask before I acted. How viable would it be to shoot soft shots at the wraith and have them form mini glyphs to magnify the effect or help specifically target the wraith with a glyph spell?))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 29, 2018, 12:01:06 am »

(Next turn on Tuesday!)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 30, 2018, 09:44:04 am »

[I'm still reading through the first thread to catch up on the story but Hawk recommended this game to me and I like what I've seen so far so I'd like to be put on the waitlist if possible.]

Spoiler: Bone Lizard (click to show/hide)
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 31, 2018, 02:42:09 am »

Too much work and not enough energy, pushing the turn writing a bit further. If I really can't post it this week, it will be on Friday-Saturday.

(Also thanks for recommanding the game Hawk! And thanks to you Prophet for taking the time to look it up, sorry about the chaotic readability of the first game's turns though!)

edit: More delay, I'm a bit busy currently
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:44:25 am by Nakéen »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 05, 2018, 04:26:29 am »

While waiting for Naken recovery, I updated my Google Sheet with the newest info (link to it is in the first post)

Some outdated info & mistake:
Unless intentional, Gloup Blop (Squelchy companion) has 3 more MP than normal
Squelchy was not updated in the player list
Viridikion is not included in the player list
The new player also not added yet

PS. I real hope your delay is nothing major  :D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:46 am »

Nothing major, I just caught a cold during the week-end, which ended up increasing the work on my backlog! As such I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Thanks for noticing the mistakes! I will correct them at the same time as the next update.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 34
« Reply #924 on: November 10, 2018, 07:10:44 pm »

Turn 34:

Turn 33

Squelchy, the Apex Omnislime (Coolrune206)
Danger above! Look out, feathered friend!

Squelchy hops down the tree, back to his group. It hopes its warning gives the friendly bird the chance to escape, but does not want to stick around in case the shadow is more dangerous than it can handle.
Squelchy quickly has the slimes form up and begin moving to the East. The mountains sound interesting to cross.

This tragic event only reminded you of the savagery of the jungles. You urged everyone to get moving. To the East, past the mountains until you will see the blue horizon.

Travel (Leaving the Jungle): [1]
The journey through the jungle remained uneventful for a good few hours, all thanks to your careful pace. How long could you avoid unwanted attention, you wondered?

[Scouting]
[Easy-Moderate] 8: [17]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

Zed returned from recon: the area ahead was filled with hostile creatures with great perception. Moving past them undetected would be extremely difficult. You assessed the situation. Going through this hostile area would be faster but more dangerous, while circling around it would take longer and wouldn't necessarily guarantee a safer path.

What did you decide to do?

Spoiler: Squelchy Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas grinned ecstatically at the news:

"Hehehe... Awesome! Astrosa, Liel, do you see same opportunity I saw? Let us visit beacon first and use it to grind the city into dust next. Maybe even literally..."

Then, demon gestured dismissively in the stage 8 direction:

"As for our follower, it is very simple, naturally. We interested it greatly - yet it either lacks capacity to get us in the air or is content to sate its curiosity instead of battlelust. For now. From my predictions, higher stages, to survive so far, should develop either a great following or a good deal of caution. Seems to be the latter case here."

Fly to the beacon, surely whatever we find would be worth slight delay in carnage.

Naturally, Liel was on board for going to the beacon.
"That's an option that greatly benefits my goals."

On the other hand Astrosa lightly bit her lip, gazing at the nearby human town. She sighed a bit and forced a light smile.
"Carnage will have to wait, I guess. Let's go to the source of the signal then."

You flew skyward, following Liel's directions. In the sea of clouds, then past it, higher and higher. The air started becoming colder, and more aggressive due to the many currents of the upper spheres. You had never flew so high and there was still no sign of some structure above you. That is not to say the sky was fully clear, many individual clouds and layers of clouds leisurely moved far above you.
"Ulkas wait."

Flavor: [2]

Astrosa stopped you, why? You looked at her, she was gritting her teeth in a hostile expression. She then pointed at the layer of cloud under you.
"Ulkas wait. This bastard, it can fly! It is still following us, and yet I feel no hostility- It pisses me off, it fucking PISSES ME. IS IT MOCKING US? HEY! I KNOW YOU ARE THERE! SHOW YOURSELF!"

Her eyes were bloodshot with rage, and she was shouting like a Fury on the verge of being unleashed. Still, there was no answer.
"YOU- Raaaah! Ulkas, is it fine if I just go kill it? Right now? I don't care how strong it is, my blood is starting to boil!"

(Astrosa's state of mind seems unstable. I would suggest calming her down and pursuing the mission, there are too many risks taking on an unknown enemy of that stature)

"YOU- Raaaah! Ulkas, is it fine if I just go kill it? Right now? I don't care how strong it is, my blood is starting to boil!"

If it's you, you are sure you will be able to reason Astrosa. But then again, you could understand her. What was up with that Monster, what were its intentions?

Nearby Monsters:
[!!!]Unknown Stage 8 Monster (Tailing you, currently in the lower layer of clouds)

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
"Hmm... The contestants I've been pitted against seem like regular Makralians, no need to go all out right away. Best play it safe for now and keep our energy for later." Skee thought. Thus, he commanded his host to use Fur Hardening,  and made him assume a defensive stand, wielding the banera's tail with both hands, ready to strike at any Makralian that got close.

[Fur Hardening]
Your host assumed a defensive stance, at the ready to retaliate to any approaching contestant.

Flavor (Battle Royale!): [5]
Secret alliances, schemes or tactics had no place in the minds of the Makralians of your group. Everyone immediately attacked their nearest opponent, without a regard for matchup. One such Makralian rushed at you, emitting a battlecry.

Skee vs Makralian Contestant
[(Skee) Pre-emptive Strike]
(Str 1 vs Con 1): [8]+2 (Stance 1 Biobond 1) vs [5]
Critical: [10]
Damage: [8]+2=[10]

You cleaved the Makralian from the shoulder to the mid-torso, inflicting a very severe wound on it. You pulled on your makeshift weapon, causing a fountain of blood to emerge from the wound. The monster collapsed with a gasp, clutching at its wound with its two hands.

In the short span of time it took you to eliminate your opponent, half the contestants of your group had been thinned. Four of them had died, while three others had surrendered. The remaining 8 contestants eyed each others, this time more carefully.

The cheers of the crowd drowned the screams of the wounded.

Nearby Monsters:
-15 opposing Makralians
> 8 active
>> 4 with (+2Essence)
> 1 Severely Injured (-10) / Heavy Bleeding / Internal Damage
> 3 out of combat
> 4 Dead

-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians
-The 8 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Float among the tree branches, and find something to use Antarctic Wind on. Something I can beat, that's alone..

You floated in the grove, looking for something easy enough for you to defeat.

Luck: [1]
As you searched for something, something found you instead. A large, rough ball of ice emerged behind you. It grew an icy spike, which it shot at you!

[Dodge]
[Hard] 14: [16]
Outcome: [6] -Overshoot-

You managed to dodge the icicle shot, but accidentally slammed on a nearby frost branch, stunning yourself a bit. [Stunned]

Nearby Monsters:
-Frost Sphere (Stage1) Hostile

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Human magic? perhaps I should seek some of them out. In the meantime, search the area for some sort of shelter other than the tower.

Luck: [6]
Exploring a bit further, you found even more ruined stone structures. Those which still had a roof could make for some descent shelter. The place was fortunately deserted, though you still noted some traces of recent activity. Some living things, and maybe not living passed by at some point.

There was nothing of interest in there, apart from the protection the place granted.

Nearby Monsters:
-None

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
Terrence, having not much else to do, engages in the conversation with his undead companions.

Yes, 'tis an intriguing dynamic indeed. Life, death, and then unlife. What is it, fundamentally, that separates us from the living?

In the mean time, I suppose you would wonder what it is that I and Vel aim to accomplish in these fields? In short, we seek to escape, but to do so would require us to challenge and best a powerful undead creature who has been lost to the furor of unlife. Until such time as we overcome this being, it will act as our warden, this fog as our prison. Naturally, as we are now, we stand no chance against such a mighty foe, therefore we reave these cursed fields in hopes of gathering out strength until we may triumph. Would you join us in this crusade, Artomal? If you prove your worth, I believe I can see the makings of a fine count in you. Perhaps even a duke!

"A duke? Hohoho! Now that's not everyday you meet an unliving with such ambitions. I will be honest, I am but without a goal. A purposeless ectoplasm, wandering this land and content merely existing. It is most refreshing to meet someone so... pardon me the term... alive! How curious, you rekindle a fire long gone inside me. How could I have forgotten life?"

[Artomal, the Spectral Fencer has become your companion]

You continued resting, until the unlife energy of the corpses had run out.

[Undead Healing]
[Easy-Moderate] 8: [10]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

Squeezing every last drop of energy, you managed to gather enough for your bodies to restore themselves to their usual shape. How intriguing was the way of the undead, even the metallic parts of Vel had mostly "healed" back.
[+5HP]

"Much better. Shall we proceed? Our journey is far from over."

Nearby Monsters:
-Artomal, 'Gentleman' Specter Ally (+2Essence)

Spoiler: Terrence Status (click to show/hide)

Go'Von, the Strangler Ooze (Puppyguard)
Go'Von
First, a successful escape, and now dinner? Today is a great day! Sneak close to the beast, grab each leg with one of our arms and flail the creature around like a ragdoll. When it dies, consume.

No way you would let this chance go!

[Surprise Attack]
[Easy] 5: [4]
Outcome: [3] -Failure-

You attempted to sneak in close, but the beast still managed to sense your presence! Forgoing any subtlety, you jumped from hiding and attacked.

[Grab and Smash]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

The beast first dodged your attempt to grab it with a pained leap. It lunged at you, intending to lacerate your body, but the pain of the arrows caused it to stiffen in pain and stumble before you. Jumping on the occasion, you grabed it and trashed it around until it stopped moving.

You ate your fill, as well as absorbed its Essence. +2 Lesser Essence, you can transform

Nearby Beings:
-1 Winged Feline monster [Dead]

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"This place looks fine. Let's fight it here, kid."

Perhaps a spiked pit or concealed stakes to impale the creature upon? Rope at leg level to trip it? Eximius is no hunter - aside from giving some ideas, he's perfectly fine with leaving the exact nature of the traps to Prias.

But the more traps we have, the better.

"Given the opponent, more traps won't hurt. Mmh... given the position of the sun, I don't have that much time to dig a deep pit."

Before setting up the traps, Prias placed an alarm system. Some bells attached to a thin thread at potential checkpoints.

[Setting up traps]
[Easy-Moderate] 7: [7]
Outcome: [4] -Critical Success-

Prias had a lot of rope, and made good use of it. He created several instances of the trap you had witnessed against the Gargarm: a complex network of concealed ropes that once triggered, would bind the target. The counterweights were placed and hidden, and the safe areas carefully memorized. This trap could easily backfire, as a monster could cut a taut rope, which then could badly harm the hunters.

Prias had confidence in his traps though, and meticulously set them in such a way he knew how to avoid any kind of backfiring. Then to prepare for a likely nocturnal battle, he finally placed some piles of easy to lit materials here and there.

"I guess we are ready. We should start before the sun sets, I will use this vial as a lure. I will be the bait in some way, the Hearteater will know I'm around even if it can't detect me."

Prias threw the vial on the ground, in the middle of your trap network. A pungent smell of blood and excrements rose up the air, and Prias went into hiding.

Luck: [4]

You waited. Prias was immobile and aware of his surroundings. He had reduced his presence to a minimum, controlling its breathing and movements. The forest was as silent as ever, as if it was holding its breath. Prias could feel breezes from time to time, but the ruffled leaves made no noise at all. Despite the unnerving situation, he remained calm.

A bell rang. This distinctive sound came from the west perimeter. Something was coming. You and Prias had full vision of the area.

And then it appeared. You felt Prias tense up, and his emotions flowed inside you. Surprise, an unpleasant one. Something wasn't right it seemed, though you couldn't ask as a mere sound could attract its attention. The Hearteater.

It was indeed a slender, long limbed humanoid creature, a bottomless black frame supporting a white head. You could see neither features of a mouth nor eyes, and this Hearteater was standing perfectly upright. It walked with slow, calculated steps, which added some creepiness to its already ominous aura.

It was a bit different from the description Prias gave, but it was definitely a Hearteater, you knew it from Prias emotions. The creature stopped before the broken phial. Prias was going to activate the trap.

Nearby Monsters:
-Strange Hearteater

Battle ground notes:
-Exceptional Binding Traps
-Ready to burn piles

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Viridikion the Green Dragon Hatchling (randomgenericusername)
Not paying much attention to the necklace, try to use my sharp claws to climb a tree and have a look around. I want to meet others that are like me, like dragons. If the trees have fruit, try to grab and eat some.

[Climbing]
[Easy] 6: [18]
Outcome: [4] -Success-

You climbed up a tree with ease despite it being your first time. Your body knew how to climb, it was a pleasant feeling. You felt like having a snack, and grabbed a nearby fruit with your jaw. It looked like an apple sized nut. You easily cracked it open with your jaws, and ate the inside. It wasn't particularly palatable, but you instinctively knew it was edible.

Afterward, you looked around. You were in a mountainous forest, with many green hills and valleys. Even the mountain was completely dyed in verdant hues.

Luck: [2]
Apart from trees everywhere, there was not much you noticed.

[Perception]
[Moderate] 10: [4]
Outcome: [1] -Critical Failure-

You heard a very small snapping sound behind you. Just as you turned, you saw a snake monster lunging at you!

[Snake Bite]
(Str 1 vs Con 1): [10]+4 (Surprise Attack) vs [7]
Critical: [6]
Damage: [2]
Effect: Venom!

Flavor: [6]
You protected your head with your arm, having it bitten instead. You managed to keep your footing, but the branch you are on is starting to crack.

This monster is a copper coloured snake with thick and rough scales, it sports two short red horns right above its yellow eyes.

Nearby Beings:
-Horned Snake Monster Hostile

Spoiler: Viridikion Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Growth?  I'm an adult carrion bird.  This is as big as we get.

"I'd be happy to come with you if you decide to relocate, but I think we should ambush one of these wyverns first.  They only got us because we were suprised.  I think if we send a few scouts and find a new place to live, the rest of us can find one wyvern seperated from the group and kill it.  Then, if they come back for reprisal, we've already left and they'll find nothing.  Plus, there will be one wyvern fewer if they should choose to attack us later."

You shared your idea to the other carrion birds.

[Suggestion]
[Moderate-Hard] 12: [8]
Outcome: [6] -Partial Success-

"But these wyverns rarely travel alone from what we heard. We would be lucky to find a lone one. That seems like a risky plan, I don't know if that's worth the risk."

The other Carrion Birds didn't seem really convinced by the idea. It seems the desire for vengeance that was driving you wasn't something they shared.
"Better lay low for now, we have been lucky to find that carcass. We will resume our migration, will you come with us?"

Nearby Monsters:
-About fifteen Carrion Birds (Friendly)

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:18:05 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 10, 2018, 07:11:26 pm »

((Hey Nakeen, I wanted to ask before I acted. How viable would it be to shoot soft shots at the wraith and have them form mini glyphs to magnify the effect or help specifically target the wraith with a glyph spell?))
((I completely forgot to answer! I will quickly process your action when you post it. And yes to your question, this is viable.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 10, 2018, 07:26:25 pm »

Squelchy decided to circle around the dangerous area, using the extra time it now has to split off some tiny Squelchies from its main body using genesis.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:09 pm »

Ack! That thing, that long monster just bited me! How... H-how...

How DARE you!?! To attack ME, a dragon? I'll... I"LL...

Viridikion, shaking with rage, leaps towards the snake monster. Try to bite it's head off, or at least latch to it's body with my strong jaws!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:04:04 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:57 pm »

faccinating. Any trails leading away from the building? Perhaps to something that knows where to find humans?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 10, 2018, 09:36:15 pm »

Go'Von
Find a reasonably safe place nearby and transform.

Spoiler: Transformation (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 99