Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 212914 times)

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 39
« Reply #1035 on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:41 am »

Such a pitiful creature. These soldiers fought and died for a meaningless war, and you seek to perpetuate their struggle. I have no remorse for such an insolent being.

Commence undead regeneration; take back the unlife energy that the necromancer stole and drive my sword through his dying head to finish him off. Then make sure everyone has their equipment back and divvy up the essence as follows: 2 for me, 1 for Vel, remainder to Artomal to help him catch up to the evolving undead. Evolution coming up!

Spoiler: transformation (click to show/hide)

"Finally. It seems I have crossed the threshold. With strength, we will claim our right... But what is this strange vision before me?"

A memory flashes before Terrence's eyes. A run-down barracks, containing only a crestfallen footsoldier... And himself.
"Just shut up, will you? You're going to get yourself killed boasting like that."
"That's what you think. You've never seen me fence, have you? My skill exceeds all in this unit. Let them send me to the front ranks, I'll show them my worth!"
"You don't get it, you idiot! We're not heroes, we're footsoldiers! Fodder! Pawns! Less valuable to the king than the rats in his cellar!"
"For now, perhaps, but you'll see. They'll have no choice but to admit my greatness when I become a war hero! Then finally, I'll earn the knightship I so deserve."
"Get your head out of the clouds, Terrence! If you keep boasting, they're going to put you in the suicide squad. I don't care how good a fighter you are, nobody can survive being bait in one of General Hargen's strategies. I don't know if you noticed, but this man's BEYOND notorious for sending entire units to their death just to lure his enemies into a trap, and you're redeeming a one-way ticket to one such unit."
"Then I will be the sole survivor of my unit. What do you think Hargen will do about that, hmmm?"
"I think he's gonna bury you in a mass grave on the soil you bled on. Just like the rest of the foot soldiers in this damn war."

"A foot soldier? No, this can't be true... I know with every fiber in my being I am destined to rule. How could I have been a lowly foot soldier?"

((Also welcome back, Nakeen! Great to see you! No need to worry about rushing the next turns; as always, take your time, take care of you. We'll wait!))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:40:25 am by ironsnake345 »
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 02, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »

Go'Von
Try and get the drop on the predator, then kill it, and eat it. Then rest a bit, after which resume hunting.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 02, 2019, 02:00:36 pm »

((By the way, am I going too heavy/light on the limitations to make my abilities reasonable?))
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 02, 2019, 02:27:00 pm »

"Let me free you from this madness." Gray states, moving towards them. Their arrangement was perfect for one of the forms of his style he had honed while training with Masen: Chaotic Riptide. He would flow around the Djinns, moving fluidly like water as he took advantage of his malleable body to unleash a regulated Pacifying Blow on each one with his Paci-FIST to free them from their hatred. It should hopefully work if they are too pacified to resist, and that would allow him to focus on exerting the right amount of calming force.

Hit 'em with the Paci-FIST! Carefully though, don't want to kill them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:38:21 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:11 am »

"Stupid question?" Eximius chuckles. "I've a feeling that if you asked that to a few Heroes, they'd all give you a different answer, even if just slightly. But in your case, I think the hope these people placed on you will be the catalyst for you to break through your limits again and again. And besides, if you falter? I'm here to back you up."

Pep talk ho!
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2019, 08:52:17 am »

Attempt to find shelter and rest. the odds of survival are still strongly against me out in the open.
(good to see you’re back, though it seems that the rolls really do not want azarian to survive.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:55:18 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:33 am »

Viridikion uncoils, stretches his limbs and yawns. The emerald forest was as silent as before, and he didn't like that. Where are the others? Other dragons, his kin, he needed to find them. That's what his instinct was telling him to do. He didn't like being alone...

He felt the necklace around his neck. No, he was not alone. The Titanic Father was watching over him. Ebes said so, and he trusted his words.

Viridikion glances at the rash on his arm and tries licking the bite wounds to treat the itching. After that, he leaves the tree and continues to explore the forest.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 04, 2019, 05:27:55 pm »

Next turn today :)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 04, 2019, 07:15:44 pm »

Code: [Select]
Name :
Species : Elemental Spirit of Ice(First Chrysalis Stage)
Appearance : The ice takes on a crystal-like appearance, and now floats. You can almost see something small in it colored a light blue. A bit bigger now, and it will grow as it absorbs essence, a bit.
HP or MP increase : MP.
Attributes increased : Constitution by 1. Now 0.
Traits gained : / Ice Ward Evolves! Ice Ward becomes IceProof! New Trait: Mana Attunement.
IceProof: Immune to Ice-elemental damage.
Mana Attunement: Preliminary Trait. Doesn't actually do anything right now. Grow closer to the Mana of this World.
Skills gained : / None

Action: Sit there as they attack with ice magic, then take them all on unawares afterward they tire themselves more, freezing them to death 1 by 1 with my Cold Mist form. Ice itself need not fear Ice.

Greater attuning with the nature of Ice makes me Ice. It's an important Trait for a Shiva.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 04, 2019, 08:19:42 pm »

Really wish i could join this but Nakeen probable has a lot on their plate already
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 40
« Reply #1045 on: July 06, 2019, 08:02:01 am »

Turn 40:

Turn 39

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Seeing bloody flakes descending into clouds, Ulkas grinned viciously. Still, while his heart raced, his mind remained cold and calculating. In the end, he grew too dependent on Liel. His born instincts, while potent, lacked actual battle experience, especially compared to Astrosa, so he remained completely obvious to the ambush - subconsciously expecting Liel to find enemy signatures to complete his battle view.

With Liel inactive… Ulkas felt like his prowess has taken a big hit. Now, he could not be certain of outcomes, even while predicting positive course of battle. While this was harsh, it was also refreshing in a native, blood-boiling way. Only yourself to blame, only your own mind to rely upon… For now, Astrosa and Ambition diffused the hit. Later, he would be fine with his own senses. He’ll make sure of this.

"Let's experiment for a bit."

With his body so close to evolution, Ulkas could afford to be a bit reckless and testing out enemies weakness for future battles.

Use [Extreme Analysis] to observe Galtrezar, next with Xatares weapons [Levitation] to change its path. Add [Aura of Fear]. Prepare Glove [Shield] just in case. When Astrosa takes care of it, finish injured ones with [Control] and weapons.

In case huge damage or brain fatigue occurs - evolution is just a step away, right?

Feeling closer to the next threshold, you decided to test your limits, and possibly push them further.

[Extreme Analysis]
(Easy) 5: [8]
Outcome: [1] -Success-

Activating [Extreme Analysis], you gathered in an instant an immense amount of information on the Galtrezar, which your powerful brain processed as quick as the data was gathered. No detail escaped your senses, from the subtle contractions of the enemy's muscles, to the rythm of its breathing, and the quality of its mind and potential for power.

Quote from: Galtrezar Data
Stage 4 Monster
Estimated Attributes:
Str 2-3
Con 2
Pow 1-3
Res 0-2
Int 0
Ind 1

Estimated Traits/Skills:
Adept Flyer
Field Disruption Maw
"Sonic Magic"
Unknown Blessing of Resistance
Unknown Blessing of Might
Extreme Senses

With its flying pattern memorized, you activated the [Levitation] function of the Xatares Collapser, targetting the moment that would break the rythm of the Galtrezar.

[Xatares Glove: Shield On]
[Aura of Fear: Activated]
[Xatares Collapser: Levitation Mode]
(Easy-Moderate) 8: [5]
Outcome: [1] -Critical Failure-

You fired, but the Galtrezar dodged at the very last minute, completely subverting your expectations. The Galtrezar was carried by some burst of speed, allowing it to close in on you with its maw wide open. You didn't flinch at the surprise, thanks to your [Hardened Mind].

[Aura of Fear]
(Int 5 vs Ind 1): [19]-4 (Critical Failure) vs [9]

[Astrosa: Interception]
(Hard 14) [20] -Epic Success-

[Astrosa: Arsenal of the Brisarane (Three-Point Impale)]
(Str 6 vs Con 2) [20]+4 (Epic Success 4) vs [13]-2 (Surprised 2)
Critical: [6]+3 -Normal Hit-
Damage: (3+[4])*2.3 = 16

It was too late for you to dodge, the Galtrezar was about to close its maw on you- until three crimson spears impaled in the neck, arm and wing. You saw a dash of graceful and merciless death dashing before you and taking the Galtrezar with it.

This unexpected element taken care of, you set out to finish the two weakened Galtrezar with a combination of Control and weapons.

[Total Control -Body-]
(Int 5 vs Ind 1): [3]+6 (Extreme Analysis 2, Advanced Mental Techniques 4) vs [12,3]-4 (Critically Wounded -4)
Outcome: [6] -Overshoot-

Noting that your Control had proven more effective at restraining them than the Levitation, you once again grabbed at the invisible threads of the mind coursing throught their body. The rush of the battle made you expend much more energy than necessary.

You are feeling tired

[Xatares Collapser (Tired)]
[Moderate-Easy] 9: [1] -Critical Failure-

You were so focused on the fight that you forgot to take into account the cooling period of the Collapser. It was the first time it bothered you, as you never had to use it in quick succession before. You attempted to switch to the Shatterer before the restrained Gatrezars could recover.

[Weapon Switch (Tired)]
(Hard 14): [19]
Outcome: 2 -Success-

With a calm mind, you mechanically switched weapons in time, and fired.

[Xatares Shatterer (Tired)]
[Moderate 10]: [12]
Outcome: [3] -Critical Success-

(Str 3 vs Con 2): [16]+4 (Crit Success) vs [3,6]-3 (Restrained)
Critical: [1]+3 -Normal Hit-
Damage: (2+[11,9])*1.25: [16,13]

The weaker handsized weapon unleashed its deadly pulse, fatally wounding one of the targets and crippling the other. You fired again to finish the still living one.

Damage: (2+[8])*1.25: [12]

[Astrosa: Arsenal of the Brisarane (Bladed Claws)]
(Str 6 vs Con 2) [6] vs [4]-6 (Critical Wound 4 Impaled 2)
Critical: [3]+1 -Normal Hit-
Damage: (2+[10])*2.3 = 26

As she held her target down with the three spears extending from her right hand, Astrosa activated the claws of her left hand, which she used to tear apart the Galtrezar. Leaving nothing but a bloodied wreck behind, she unceremoniously threw it away.

[Ambition Fight 10]: [7]

It seems you finished your group before Ambition, allowing you to have a chance at glimpsing him in combat.

[Spectate]
[Moderate 10] [20] -Critical Success-

You used your Extreme Analysis and Mind Techniques to peer through the clouds, and feel the shapes of the mind inside, giving you a perfect insight of the battle.

Three serpentine creatures with many bladed wings were fighting against Ambition, who transformed its body to better adapt to an aerial battle. Its form was blessed with great aerial speed and manoeuvrability, thanks to its two pairs of wings and aerodynamic body shape which was close to that of an insect.

It was toying with its preys, creating illusions of itself to confuse them. He then picked them one by one, closing in and morphing to a close-combat form for a brief moment, after which it hid again in the dense cloud. From your analysis, you managed to estimate new skills/traits of Ambition.

Quote from: Ambition Data
Estimated Strength:
STR 4+
INT 4+

Estimated Traits/Skills:
Greater Metamorph
Close Combat Expert
Advanced Illusion Techniques

Ambition Battle: [19]

Noticing he was being watched, Ambition suddenly stopped playing around and finished the remained monsters in a flash. He emerged from the clouds in his usual form, that of a winged humanoid creature. He grinned.

"Well, what a shameful display I showed. Did you get a good look?"

The Essence of the creatures he killed was slowly following him, but remained at a safe distance.

"You may have it, it is of no use to me. Let it be another proof of my goodwill..."

Astrosa had returned to your side, a threatening aura still emanating from her due to the battle. She was still on guard, as if something would emerge again from the cloud. She told you with a surprised tone.

"Such easy kills, yet this harvest! Can you believe it Ulkas? It would have taken us weeks to gather that much in the previous lands with passed through..."

100 Medium Essence can be claimed from the Galtrezar
60 Medium Essence can be claimed from Ambition's kills

Nearby Monsters:
Ambition the Irregular [Stage 8] [Partnership]
> Source of a Field of Mind Manipulation

-5 Galtrezars [Stage 4] Hostile
> 5 dead

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
I edited my orders earlier this year because I wanted to emphasize other ways of survival that were more compatable with my goal of ending the destructive cycle of evolution.  Encouraging others to level up is the opposite of that.

..but these results are fine.

Also, I don't believe I'm critically wounded anymore.

Cast [Spell Resistance].  Re-cast it when it expires, trying to keep it up at all times, at least all times that I'm awake.  I don't need any mana for anything else.

Fly about and track down the missing members, heading in general towards where we all were.  Keep everyone at low altitude so we can dive into the underbrush, the other creatures are larger than us, and we can communicate via [Squack]s that don't reveal our locations to others.

(I often find myself in a bind when processing your actions, as your plans seem quite elaborate and calculated for a creature with negative Intelligence. Fortunately, the other birds are also at -1 Int, which allows me to explain the results as a byproduct of their low intellect.

In short, I imagine squack as speaking in some deluded fashion when explaining his ideas. I'm interested to hear your feedback on that.)

[Spell Resistance -Basic-] [-1MP]
(Easy 5): [11]

You casted [Spell Resistance] on yourself so successfully that you managed to save mana. You could feel a weak protective field surrounding you, your low innate Power was probably the cause of its flimsiness.

[Tracking for the missing members]
[Moderate Hard 13]: [17]

In a stroke of great luck, you found recent traces of the passage of the main group. Following these, you eventually managed to find them hiding away in a cave. They were few in numbers, and all were wounded. There were only 4 birds remaining. They explained to you that their group got slowly culled when they tried to hunt to feed themselves. In the past the Carrion Birds hunted the animals and monsters of the river, but they had suddenly become very strong since the last migration.

They got shot by globs of mucus if they got too close from the water, which caused them to fall and then get torn apart by amphibian monsters. Now they avoided the rivers, but the damage had already been done.

Nearby Monsters:
-4 wounded Carrion Birds

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-3 Carrion Birds [They want to get some GAINS]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
Skee felt relieved, as Shnapa's life and his own were no longer at risk. However, it seemed the shock had been a little too hard, and his host had fell into a coma. While that might not be immediately problematic, it would definitely interfere with Skee's plans of rising to the top of Makralian society, especially since he was unable to speak their language on his own. Eventually he'd have to deal with this, one way or another. However, now was not the time, especially since he didn't know the inner workings of the host's brain. For now, Skee would just make Shnapa tell the other pack members that he was fine, speaking monster tongue, before going back to "sleep", waiting for his host's body to fully regenerate, while using this time to study his hosts' brain, attempting to figure out what was wrong with it and how to fix it.

[Rest] (Regenerative Serum active)
You recovered 7HP
Shnapa recovered 1HP

Your body recovered from its wounds after some much needed rest, but it seems the healing of your host greatly slowed. Before that, you made Shnapa articulates that he needed sleep. The robotic words that came out of your host mouth convinced the others of the pack that he really, really needed rest.

[Study of Shnapa's brain] (Biobond active)
[Moderate 10] [2]
Outcome: [4] -Failure-

Nothing much came from your study of the Makralian's brain. It was a complex organ, and you could feel being careless with your probing could lead to crippling damage.

[Shnapa: Self-Recovery]
[Hard 15] [6]
Outcome: [4] -Failure-

Unfortunately Shnapa remained comatose, and the tournament kept progressing. You heard that the demi-finals were about to start.

Nearby Monsters:
-Napash the Rock, Makralian Greater Leader

-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians
-The 8 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders

-The 24 last contestants

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
Such a pitiful creature. These soldiers fought and died for a meaningless war, and you seek to perpetuate their struggle. I have no remorse for such an insolent being.

Commence undead regeneration; take back the unlife energy that the necromancer stole and drive my sword through his dying head to finish him off. Then make sure everyone has their equipment back and divvy up the essence as follows: 2 for me, 1 for Vel, remainder to Artomal to help him catch up to the evolving undead. Evolution coming up!

Spoiler: transformation (click to show/hide)

"Finally. It seems I have crossed the threshold. With strength, we will claim our right... But what is this strange vision before me?"

A memory flashes before Terrence's eyes. A run-down barracks, containing only a crestfallen footsoldier... And himself.
"Just shut up, will you? You're going to get yourself killed boasting like that."
"That's what you think. You've never seen me fence, have you? My skill exceeds all in this unit. Let them send me to the front ranks, I'll show them my worth!"
"You don't get it, you idiot! We're not heroes, we're footsoldiers! Fodder! Pawns! Less valuable to the king than the rats in his cellar!"
"For now, perhaps, but you'll see. They'll have no choice but to admit my greatness when I become a war hero! Then finally, I'll earn the knightship I so deserve."
"Get your head out of the clouds, Terrence! If you keep boasting, they're going to put you in the suicide squad. I don't care how good a fighter you are, nobody can survive being bait in one of General Hargen's strategies. I don't know if you noticed, but this man's BEYOND notorious for sending entire units to their death just to lure his enemies into a trap, and you're redeeming a one-way ticket to one such unit."
"Then I will be the sole survivor of my unit. What do you think Hargen will do about that, hmmm?"
"I think he's gonna bury you in a mass grave on the soil you bled on. Just like the rest of the foot soldiers in this damn war."

"A foot soldier? No, this can't be true... I know with every fiber in my being I am destined to rule. How could I have been a lowly foot soldier?"

((Also welcome back, Nakeen! Great to see you! No need to worry about rushing the next turns; as always, take your time, take care of you. We'll wait!))

Seeing you finish off the Necromancer's head, Artomal felt in a desecrating mood and drove his spectral rapier through the cloven skull. Satisfied, he moved his arm to wipe off sweat, a purely psychological movement given as an ectoplasmic entity, he had no bodily functions.

You suggested to share the Essence in a 2/1/3 fashion. Knowing how close both of you were to cross the threshold, Vel agreed with the sharing. Artomal[/color] was quite surprised, and executed ample bows to show his gratitude.

You absorbed the Essence, allowing you to finally evolve toward another stage. Your body and soul were overwhelmed by a sensation of exaltation. You didn't feel alive, you felt something more. Something that transcended life and death.

Vel absorbed his at the same time, causing both of you to glow and change in unison. Radiance overflowed from your bodies, briefly making one forget about the perpetual fog.

You and Vel emerged at the same time, changed. Your body had become even more monstrous, though maybe to some you looked like a masterwork of bone sculpture. It was a most unusual and uncomfortable looking body, but to you, it felt extremely natural. And it was, your range of movement and control of your body had increased.

After admiring your subjectively sublime body, you took a glance at Vel. Unlike you, his body shape didn't radically change, conserving that of a centaur. He was giving off a revolting smell of burnt flesh, and his rotten flesh had become charred as if it had been seared into the armour. Or rather, it seemed his armour had become his actual skin now, as it had changed to grant him a wider range of movement while still maintaining a complete protection. The part of his full-helm covering his face had fused with it, giving him a new visage of mixed metal and charred skin. Naturally, his eyesockets were empty, but even more expressive than before somehow.

"No more secrets, comrade."

As Vel said so, he revealed to you the full extent of his abilities.

(...)

[Vel: Memories of Life]: [3]
[Terrence: Memories of Life]: [2]

"Veltaros... that was my name. I remembered it, and saw again these familiar faces and landscapes."

He touched his face in a lonely way.
"Even though I remember all of that, I do not feel the desire to become human again. What I am currently, it feels right."

The three of you took a small break on a nearby hill, gazing at the fog. Maybe you had a chat at that time. Afterward, it is likely you set off again, maybe with an idea in mind, or simply at random, trusting your luck.

Artomal has fully recovered
[You may state "long actions" for that.]

Nearby Monsters:
-Necromancer! [Defeated, soon to be dead]

Go'Von, the Strangler Ooze (Puppyguard)
Go'Von
Try and get the drop on the predator, then kill it, and eat it. Then rest a bit, after which resume hunting.

You would catch the hunter at its own game, and the roles would then be inverted. Hopefully.

[Ambush]
[Moderate-Easy 8]: [12]
Outcome: [4] -Critical Success-

[Drop Attack]
(Str 1 vs Con 1) [1]+4 (Crit Success 4) vs [1] -Double super failure-
Situation Roll: [1] -Worst that could happen-

You managed to elude the predator, setting up a prospective ambush. You now had the advantage, and once the beast came in range, you dropped on it, catching it by complete surprise. All would have gone well, if not for an unexpected event.

As an aside, your predator was a slimy creature looking like a huge black leech with four limbs.

[Paralysing Venom Resistance 8]
Go'Von (Con 2) [12]
Predator (Con 1) [1]

A sudden jolt coursed through your body, paralyzing you for a brief second. Fortunately your strong body managed to resist it, but the creature that hunted you wasn't so lucky and failed to resist the venom.

[Perception]
[Hard 14] [8]

What happened? You had no idea, and could sense or see anything out of the ordinary.

Nearby Beings:
-Something else?
-Leech with four limbs predator
-Quite many

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Gray the Unstable Prismetal Blaster (Beirus)
"Let me free you from this madness." Gray states, moving towards them. Their arrangement was perfect for one of the forms he had honed while training with Masen: Chaotic Riptide. He would flow around the Djinns, moving fluidly like water as he took advantage of his malleable body to unleash a regulated Pacifying Blow on each one with his Paci-FIST to free them from their hatred. It should hopefully work if they are too pacified to resist, and that would allow him to focus on exerting the right amount of calming force.

Hit 'em with the Paci-FIST! Carefully though, don't want to kill them.

[Martial Form: Chaotic Riptide]

Brown moved forward assuming the [Martial Form: Adamant Stone], hoping to lure some of the Djinns to make it easier for you to pacify them.

[Successive Dodge and Flow] (+Chaotic Riptide)
[Easy 6] [10]
[Easy 7] [12]

Like flowing water coiling around a raging fish, you moved with easy around the wild and maddened Djinns, who kept attempting to hit you, unsuccessfully.

[Paci-FIST Strength Control]
[Easy 5] [8]
Outcome [3] -Critical Success-
[Paci-FIST Effectiveness] (+Previous Success)
[Easy 4] [2]
Outcome [5] -Partial Success-

You perfectly adjusted the strength behind your blow, making all of them non-lethal while maximizing the Pacifying Wave output. But it seemed these Djinns were harder to pacify than the others, seeing your strikes didn't fully purify them. Without breaking a sweat, you chained with more blows while they were stunned by the Paci-FISTs.

[Paci-FIST Effectiveness] (+Previous Success)
[Easy 6] [16]
Outcome [4] -Critical Success-

You know had the perfect hang of it. Step, step, strike. Step, strike, step. You struck every Djinns in quick succession with such grace and control it seemed like a choregraphy. Once you finished this improvised kata, all the 6 Djinns were back their senses, leaving the Sand Spirits in total awe.

Nearby Monsters:
-10 Pacified Greater Sand Spirits [Allies]
-6 Mad Djinns [Hostile] [Temporarily Pacified]

Spoiler: Gray Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:44:54 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 06, 2019, 08:02:19 am »

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"Stupid question?" Eximius chuckles. "I've a feeling that if you asked that to a few Heroes, they'd all give you a different answer, even if just slightly. But in your case, I think the hope these people placed on you will be the catalyst for you to break through your limits again and again. And besides, if you falter? I'm here to back you up."

Pep talk ho!

Prias smiled in earnest.
"Thanks Eximius."

This simple word was enough to convey his gratitude and trust in you. A fine host you found indeed, making you wonder if it was some working of fate...

Soon the grey skies became dimmer, announcing the coming of the night. People started lighting torches, slowly illuminating the village. You heard someone climb the ladder of the watchtower, it was Eten who came here to relieve Prias of the guard duty. He gave a gentle tap on the young man's shoulder.
"I'm the next shift. Now hurry and go prepare yourself for tonight! You are the center of the party tonight."

(...)

Before going back home for a change of clothes, Prias went to Veras to check on the inspection of the jewel. It seems the old mage had been expecting the visit, given how quickly he answered the door when Prias knocked.

"I was expecting you! Please come in!"

Veras led you to a dimly lit and messy room. Tools lying all over the ground, shelves full of jars and pots containing unknown substances... It was a wonder any work could be done there.

"Ah yes, don't mind the mess. I'm usually really tidy, but I have been slaving away the past days. Ah watch your step- Ahem."

The vivid blood jewel was set in some complex tool, the one which looked like it needed to be carefully handled. Veras quickly explained this tool allowed to test some magical properties of materials. He took out the jewel and turned it around above him, inspecting it under the light of a magical lamp.

"This is a material of really high grade. Brimming with vitality, and with high mana conductivity to boot. In its raw state, just keeping it close would accelerate anyone's healing rate for instance."

"Isn't that quite an amazing jewel then?"

"It is! I am not knowledgeable on Hearteaters, but I reckon these creatures store magic and vitality in these crystals. It's not uncommon for monsters to store energy or magic in some special organ, that jewel is probably one of those. Anyway I have a good new. I think I could make something out of it, craft an amulet of some sort to amplify its properties, or even unlock a spell from it."

"Wait you can do that? That would be amazing! Speaking of, you are the town's doctor and alchemist, and you are also a mage from another country. I mean that's great, really! But just... how do you know so many fields? I mean, it's not like I know anything about magic, but I would imagine any field would require a lifetime of experience... And you have been leaving in the village for as long as I can remember."

"Oh you are giving me too much credit! It's just that my field of expertise, archeomancy, makes me quite the generalist. I have to know as much as I can from various fields to be able to understand and exploit ancient and lost magic. And well, my level in all of these fields is average at best. So what I can craft will really be subpar. If you knew how vast the world was, and what kind of people live out there, you wouldn't be that impressed haha. I knew and worked with mages that were far, far better than me..."

"Still... I think that's really, really impressive. Don't you think so Eximius?"

Veras then asked both of you what you wanted to do with the jewel. Once you made your decision, Prias left to prepare for tonight.

[What do you want Veras to do with the Hearteater jewel? You may also ask more details to Veras to know what he could do with it. Also if you want to chat with him a bit more, a flashback convo can be done.]

(...)

Refreshed and in a set of clean clothes, Prias sighed in relief. "That must have been the best bath I took in my whole life." For what was supposed to be a celebration in his honor, he wasn't wearing anything fancy. Just a set of his normal, everyday clothes.

You arrived to the village's inn. Its rooms hadn't had outsiders in ages, and they were used as an emergency hospital when Veras place was at full capacity. The main hall had been cleared, the tables placed to the side. Steaming dishes were placed on them, freshly baked breads and pastries, meat, vegetables... Then at the counter, the bartender was proudly looking at the lined bottles of ale. Given the occasion, the finest cattle was killed, and well age liquor was brought from the reserves. Everyone smiled and cheered at the arrival of the village's hero, rising their mugs in celebration.

Everyone was merry and smiling. An atmosphere that was uncharacteristic of what you had seen of this place, where everyone seemed to live as if today could be the last. And now, they really looked like people who were looking forward to the next day.

There were songs, and dances. Plays, and stories. The great stories of yore, of heroes vanquishing demons, of kings defeating dragons. They all ended with their narrator saying a variation of "But this is only a story, Prias here is the real deal!", greatly embarassing your host but still drawing a laugh out of him (the alcohol probably helped). You actually learnt a lot from this one night. This people actually had a rich culture, which means they had a history, and that there was something before their current situation.

Between facts and fiction, what you had gathered was that this village was a frontier settlement of a disappeared kingdom. Some cataclysmic event occured several generations ago, where the sky grew gray and the land died. With it, all contacts with the core of the country disappeared, and the village was left to fend for itself. Then the people sent to the city never came back, and horrible monsters started roaming the land and attacking the village. The only outsider that ever came was Veras, and that was nearly 40 years ago.

As a border settlement, the village had some experience with monsters and how to defend from them. It saved their lives, as they could repel the countless assaults of the monsters, slowly building up their defences to protect their land. There was even a time when their men were skilled enough to kill any monster that approached, and it seemed like Safaras would have a chance.

But the monsters kept changing slowly, evolving. Then the Hearteaters, which were thought of as mythic creatures, suddenly appeared in the mountainous forests, killing all their finest men. It forced the village to abandon most of their controlled territory, and from then on their situation slowly worsened, turning their walled village into some massive coffin. It seems they were at wit's end, until you arrived and chose Prias.

Now the glimpses of their culture you caught your attention. They had dances involving as much folks as possible, as well as refined dances for two the like you would see in a ball of nobility. The same could be said of the plays, which were proof of a rich, yet forgotten history.

[Eximius&Human Relationships] (or roll for Eximius "denseness")
[Moderate 10] [16]
Outcome: [2]

Something became quite apparent to you during the party. Yes, Prias was well-loved by everyone, and so did he equally love his fellow townfolks. But it was clear that someone out there held him more precious than anyone else, and so did he. It was Sandra, the eldest sister of their family. You already had suspicion, but their dance of two confirmed them. You saw the way they locked gazes, looking in each others souls. The way they held each others which was saying "I don't want to let go".

Maybe it was embarassing for you. Who know, only you can tell.

(...)

The party ended, and Prias was now walking back home with his family. Prias was carrying Iseis on his back, who was sleeping soundly. Septor to the left, Sandra to the right. The three young adults were discussing the night, complimenting or criticizing the stories, making fun of some event that occured during the preparations... Indeed, talking without a worry for the dangers out there.

You reached home, and the sleeping girl was placed in her bed where she half-asleeply snuggled in. Septor crashed in his bed, exhausted. Sandra went on to check on Iseis. Alone, Prias went to close the door, where he asked you:

"Eximius, I have a request. Can I take you off for tonight?"

Oh. Oooh.

Nearby Monsters:
-None

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Attempt to find shelter and rest. the odds of survival are still strongly against me out in the open.
(good to see you’re back, though it seems that the rolls really do not want azarian to survive.)

[Previous good saving roll]

You limped away from the wall, looking for shelter. You found a steep upward slope which led you to a hidden crevice, placed at such an angle it was impossible to see it for someone who came from the entrance of the passage.

There you rested, as long as possible.

You recovered all of your HP (A perfect roll was obtained there, lucky!)

Luck: [3]
Time passed, and nothing happened, allowing you to rest undisturbed. Once you had fully recovered, you took a quick look outside. The passage was unchanged, and the situation was the same as before. A wall on one side, and impossible to climb cliffs.

Nearby Monsters:
-None

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Viridikion the Green Dragon Hatchling (randomgenericusername)
Viridikion uncoils, stretches his limbs and yawns. The emerald forest was as silent as before, and he didn't like that. Where are the others? Other dragons, his kin, he needed to find them. That's what his instinct was telling him to do. He didn't like being alone...

He felt the necklace around his neck. No, he was not alone. The Titanic Father was watching over him. Ebes said so, and he trusted his words.

Viridikion glances at the rash on his arm and tries licking the bite wounds to treat the itching. After that, he leaves the tree and continues to explore the forest.

[Licking] [4]
Your rash felt better after licking it, the air cooling the moistened scales. A good feeling in your heart, you left the tree to explore the forest.

[Exploration Ho!] (+Day)
[Easy-Moderate 7] [8]
Outcome: [2] -Success-

During your search, you kept awing at the scenery around you. Verdant trees, glistening leaves. An azure sky with lazy wool-like clouds. The vivid colours, the invigorating wind. You could feel you were in your element, where you were meant to be.

Admiring this beautiful nature didn't distract you a bit though, as you were still keenly aware of your surroundings. And then you found a hint of what you were looking for.

Massive claws marks on several trees, traces of trampled grass. It was the first time you saw these marks, and they could have belonged to any creature. But the moment you set your eyes on them, you knew, as if this knowledge was carved in your body. This was a dragon's message, you could not fully understand it, but you felt it roughly told "do not disturb me".

You were quivering in anticipation.

Nearby Beings:
- None

Spoiler: Viridikion Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Code: [Select]
Name :
Species : Elemental Spirit of Ice(First Chrysalis Stage)
Appearance : The ice takes on a crystal-like appearance, and now floats. You can almost see something small in it colored a light blue. A bit bigger now, and it will grow as it absorbs essence, a bit.
HP or MP increase : MP.
Attributes increased : Constitution by 1. Now 0.
Traits gained : / Ice Ward Evolves! Ice Ward becomes IceProof! New Trait: Mana Attunement.
IceProof: Immune to Ice-elemental damage.
Mana Attunement: Preliminary Trait. Doesn't actually do anything right now. Grow closer to the Mana of this World.
Skills gained : / None

Action: Sit there as they attack with ice magic, then take them all on unawares afterward they tire themselves more, freezing them to death 1 by 1 with my Cold Mist form. Ice itself need not fear Ice.

Greater attuning with the nature of Ice makes me Ice. It's an important Trait for a Shiva.

Evolving in a pinch, you didn't move from your position and simply kept attacking the nearby sprites with ice magic. Wait, you know magic?!

[Mana Attunement, Nature Spirit (Ice)]
[Hard 15]: [12]

Ahem.

You stood your ground, waiting for the sprites to approach, with the intent to catch them unaware with your newfound immunity.

[Sprites: Cold Infusion]
(Pow 1 vs Res 1) [2] (Epic Success 4) vs [6]+6 (Immunity 6)
Critical: [6] -Normal Hit-
[Counterattack: Cold Mist]
(Pow 1 vs Res 0) [6]+2 (Counter 2) vs [6] (Immunity 6)
Critical: [2]+1 -Normal Hit-
Damage: [4]*2 = [8] - 1 [Sprite Cold Resistance]

The Sprites finally arrived, viciously swirling around you like frenzied fireflies. They used their innate ability to manipulate the cold-oriented elemental energies to attack, but your body had become immune to such weak Ice element related attacks. Before they could realize their attacks had no effect, you froze them within your mist with a cold greater than they could endure.

[Escape Attempt]: [3]
They struggled to escape, with only one managing to get away from your range.

And nearby, you heard the stomping and crushing, closer ever then before. A tree fell, lifting a great amount of snow and dust in the air which aggregated into a cloud. A form marched forward, dispelling it. Humanoid, as tall as a pine, and as wide as a boulder.

A great golem of rock and ice stood there, looking menacingly in your direction. Although you had no way of knowing, his anger was directed at you and the sprites for waking him up, especially you with your giggling and taunting.

Nearby Monsters:
-3 Snow Sprites Hostile
> Sprite #1 Dead
- Angry Rock&Ice Golem

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:41:00 am by Nakéen »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 06, 2019, 08:39:21 am »

Back when Prias visited Veras

"I agree. Delving deeply into one field is impressive, but being good at multiple at once is also commendable. But let's get back to the jewel. If I understand correctly, the amulet you could create would store magic and vitality within? It sounds like it would synergize with us quite well... Though the spell interests me as well. Do you have any predictions on what sort of magic it would be?"

Questions. IN THE PAST!

Back to the present

Prias would feel something akin to a stare drilling into him after his question, for a good few seconds - before hearing a loud sigh.

"Fine. But keep me close. And don't get used to it." Another frustrated sigh resounded as Eximius grumbled. "Kids these days."

Giving the kids some privacy ho!
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 06, 2019, 08:43:48 am »

Back when Prias visited Veras

"I agree. Delving deeply into one field is impressive, but being good at multiple at once is also commendable. But let's get back to the jewel. If I understand correctly, the amulet you could create would store magic and vitality within? It sounds like it would synergize with us quite well... Though the spell interests me as well. Do you have any predictions on what sort of magic it would be?"

Questions. IN THE PAST!
(...)

IN THE PAST

"I am quite certain it would be a healing spell. Those are the most common and easiest spells to awaken from materials with strong affinity with life-related magic. It could also be a draining spell, but that's unlikely because of my lack of aptitudes in crafting."

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 06, 2019, 08:46:05 am »

"I have no desire to become human either. I know my place is to rule, but my form as an undead will not be sacrificed."

"However, with that said... I cannot help but wonder about my life. Who was I? What lead me to become a footsoldier? And where did my remarkable ambition come from? Perhaps the answer lies outside of these cursed deadlands... What say you two?"
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 99