Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214800 times)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 54
« Reply #1365 on: September 22, 2023, 07:38:12 am »

The lizard with spikes is probably the most dangerous to eat; the scarab is weirdly coloured, perhaps poisonous. The copper lizard it is.
Peck the copper lizard
she/her

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 22, 2023, 10:57:38 am »

”Any hints on what we might expect to find here? Perhaps at least a status of facility? As neither myself or Astrosa see anything off, it might be overly cautious, but by now I have developed a healthy respect for Ancient technologies.”

Send elementals first, just in case. You never know when ancient facility is trapped and/or inhabited by invisible threats.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 22, 2023, 02:34:58 pm »

"I wish it didn't have to end this way, but you will be remembered, Scorol." Eximius 'looked' at the fallen Champion's weapon - Misery - which he favored so much that he housed his soul within it. "... Let's take it with us. There is no worse fate for a weapon, even damaged, than being left to the elements and forgotten."

After a moment, he adds, "Now let's head home, Prias. This hunting trip was way too damn eventful, I'm tired."

Evolution and home ho!

Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 22, 2023, 02:50:48 pm »

..And, also, in case of emergency, here's the description for the next stage:

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 22, 2023, 06:23:54 pm »

"No.. I just remember ice and snow, being born there I guess. I was born from the cold, alone."

"I'm not sure who you're looking for, but I've heard nothing of such here. My time outside was short."

"I see. My apologies for this strabge question then. Now regarding our aligned interests: I aim to defeat the pretenders to this land, and restore the peace it deserves. Will you aid me in that task?"

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 22, 2023, 07:33:53 pm »

Kori mulls over what she can do.. While her healing was originally for her, perhaps she can improve upon it to others?

"I am. Though I hope I have time to try and figure out healing. I recently trained my ice magic, but had no reason to improve upon my own self-healing. If I am to work with others, I wish to support them to the best of my ability."

Suro, the Ice Sword Spirit. They are.. Honorable indeed.

... Allies. Strange in this world, but she won't make a poor showing.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: September 22, 2023, 07:40:32 pm »

Kori mulls over what she can do.. While her healing was originally for her, perhaps she can improve upon it to others?

"I am. Though I hope I have time to try and figure out healing. I recently trained my ice magic, but had no reason to improve upon my own self-healing. If I am to work with others, I wish to support them to the best of my ability."

Suro, the Ice Sword Spirit. They are.. Honorable indeed.

... Allies. Strange in this world, but she won't make a poor showing.

There was a surprising warmth coming from the cold wisps Suro had for eyes.
"On these flowers, and on my blade. I swear to honour our alliance. May we succeed in our quest."

He gently carressed the flowers, his gaze forlorn. It seemed to you he held strong attachment to these fields, for some unknown reason.
"If you ever need my help, call my name upon these fields of flowers. If I am able to do so, I will come to your aid. Until then, farewell and good fortune, Kori."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 55
« Reply #1372 on: September 23, 2023, 10:10:16 am »

"May the winds carry you swiftly. Should you call, I promise to answer."
With that, Kori bows before fluttering off back to her usual training grounds.

I need to become stronger. Not through hunting, but skill. So.. I guess I'll need to learn actual healing.

Kori is focusing on developing a Spell: Cure, from her Natural Force. Something that will allow her to aid in the healing of others. Once she has a grasp on it, she will see about healing anyone who might need it to practice, or failing that on trees she injures.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2023, 03:10:24 pm »

"I think I will go there next, then. I hunger for knowledge, and do not have to kill to get it. A bit of caution is definitely in order with how the guarded the crossing of the dead lands though.."
Thank the chieftain, and move on. Hopefully the goblins will make good use of the medicine in their strange manner.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 56
« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2023, 05:03:01 pm »

Update 56:

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Oh dear, that's a lot of them.

Also.. fire, ice, and lightning.  I don't see water.  And that's a lot of water down there.

And they're looking for a huge griffin thing, not a bird.  So lets see just how tough they are.

Cast spell resistance.  Flee.

..That is, feint.  Fly below them, at top speed, like I'm running.  Then turn around and attack the big one.  Use [infighting], to try and stick to its back, and aim for the wing roots.  I want this elemental insect in the drink.

Squack casts Spell Resistance (-4MP)
Infighting set to Offensive

Feint: [2] -Failure-
[Squack: Diamond Claws (First Strike)]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 12=[6]+4
Defender Roll: 8=[5]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d8): [12]
Diamond Claws: [1] -Critical Failure-
Infighter (1d16 vs 1d12): [7] vs [3]
[Medium Disadvantage applied to target]

[Tri: Frost Mandibles (Intermediate Innate / -4MP)]
Attack Roll: 15=[14]+1
Defender Roll: 14=[10]+4
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d6): [10]
[Frost applied: medium Disadvantage to target]

Although your feint attempt was unsuccessful, you closed in with such speed the insects couldn't react in time. With a vicious slash, you crippled the giant insect mobility by striking at the roots of its wings, unfortunately shattering your claws on impact.

Energy gathered and crackled in the mandibles of the Tri-Elemental, causing frost to appear. Even with the wound you had inflicted, its mobility was impressive and it managed to snap at your wings with its frost imbued mandibles, the biting cold spreading across your body.

[Bat-Griffin: Claws]
Attack Roll: 4=[4]
Defender Roll: 6=[4]+2
[Failed Attack]
[Open to Counterattack]
[Reactive Chitin activated: Medium Disadvantage imposed on attacker]

[Elemanoptera: Elemental Bolt (-2MP)]
Elemanoptera#1 Attack Roll: 12=[10]+2
Elemanoptera#2 Attack Roll: 16=[14]+2
Elemanoptera#3 Attack Roll: 13=[11]+2
Defender Roll: 7=[9]-2
[Three Successful Attacks]
Damage total (6d4): [18]
[Frost applied: medium Disadvantage to target]
[Burn applied: damage over time]
[Shock applied: medium Disadvantage to target]

The Bat-Griffin tried to use the minor distraction you had caused by suddenly attacking, targeting one of the three remaining elemental insects. His surprise attack failed miserably as the Fire Insect dodged out of the way, its carapace emiting a burst of energy sending a crippling shock to the Bat-Griffin. Then at once, the three insects fired coordinated bolts of elemental energy on the Bat-Griffin. All three landed squarely leaving your temporarily ally in a terribly state, on the verge of death.

Nearby monsters:
- The Bat-Griffin Gravely Wounded / Temporary Ally
[HP?-18 MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

- Elemanoptera Hunting Squad
[Overgrown winged insects with serrated mandibles and countless eyes, whose spiky chitinous body crackled with elemental energy.]
Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera [HP?-12 MP?-4 STR? CON1 POW3 RES? INT? IND?] [Med Dis]
Fire Elemanoptera [HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
Ice Elemanoptera [HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
Lightning Elemanoptera [HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]

Your allies:
- Carrion Birds
> Kra, Cinder Vulture
> Dozen of Carrions Birds
- Weak Slimes

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
The lizard with spikes is probably the most dangerous to eat; the scarab is weirdly coloured, perhaps poisonous. The copper lizard it is.
Peck the copper lizard

The creature you had chosen as a target was called a Rhadasar, a member of a monstrous species who had managed to organize and gather, allowing them to challenge the humans. This one was alone, so it was most likely a stray or an outcast.

[Caar: Peck]
Attack Roll: 5=[1]+4
Defender Roll: 4=[4]
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [2]

You pecked the lizard unaware, tearing apart its scaly hide. It growled at you in defiance, the markings on its body glowing curiously.

Nearby creatures:
- Copper Rhadasar (-2HP)
- Some lizard with spikes on its back and on its tail
- Some lone scarab with purplish carapace

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
”Any hints on what we might expect to find here? Perhaps at least a status of facility? As neither myself or Astrosa see anything off, it might be overly cautious, but by now I have developed a healthy respect for Ancient technologies.”

Send elementals first, just in case. You never know when ancient facility is trapped and/or inhabited by invisible threats.

"I wasn't told the specifics, but we are supposed to be reactivating a military facility. The beacon status seemed similar to the one of Endorfos: facility damaged and in need of direct intervention. But something feels... off."

Drone Scouting:
[Easy 6]: [8]
Outcome: [1] -Success-

You sent the little elementals down the pit, having them crawl downward the wall into the darkness. The mental connection started to become slightly more challenging maintain, but you could manage without an issue. They eventually reached the bottom after a good while. It was a flat area with rubbles everywhere, as well as metallic husks of what you recognized as facility guardians. With only the elemental sight, it was hard to determine what exactly had happened to them. There was a single massive gate on the north side of the bottom, this one wide open.

No trace of the beacon, so you had the "drones" continue further. You felt unease and instinctive fear in them, it seems there was a reason no elemental seemed to approach the pit. Some repulsive mechanism, or a hidden danger? You would likely find out soon enough.

The vast passage past the gate was completely dark, showing that the facility was completely inactive and not even in an energy saving state. Suddenly you lost contact with one, then two drones. Then the third and fourth, until you had none left. There was something in there protecting the place, and it had dispatched the elementals too quickly for you to get a view on what. Facility guardian, intruder?

You were still at the edge of the pit, pondering your future actions.

Nearby creatures:
- Something in the facility

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"I wish it didn't have to end this way, but you will be remembered, Scorol." Eximius 'looked' at the fallen Champion's weapon - Misery - which he favored so much that he housed his soul within it. "... Let's take it with us. There is no worse fate for a weapon, even damaged, than being left to the elements and forgotten."

After a moment, he adds, "Now let's head home, Prias. This hunting trip was way too damn eventful, I'm tired."

Evolution and home ho!

GM: I have combined Armament Integration and Of Slaying into the new trait Armament Integration and Adaptation.

Past roll: [2]
Having reached a new essence threshold, your abilities evolved once more as you felt the power you had lost was slowly returning to you. You had no strange vision this time, more essence was likely required for you to unlock more of your still hazy memories.

Prias picked up the heavy mace named Misery, which was presently quite unusable due to the heavy damage it had sustained. The armour that held it had started breaking apart, the magic holding it together gone. He adressed a short prayer to Soros.
"May the warrior of past rest. Let us go home now."

(...)

You returned to Safara, feeling as if your short trip had lasted an eternity (GM note: well it did in RL... oops). The village had changed a lot since you first arrived here, the fortification had become sturdier and a second barricade had been built all around the village, increasing its reach over the nearby grounds. It was starting to ressemble a small town now.

New fields had been cleared with the newfound safety of these surroundings, and it was said new people had found the village after hearing about it in a dream. They had all came from different places of Nepkeros, and have lived similar situations to the villagers: many had lost their homes recently due to increasingly dangerous monsters. A lot of interesting information about the outside was gathered from these newcomers: there still existed a few villages at the borders of Nepkeros, which had managed to ekk a living these past decades. A fortified city still stood, due to the support of the neighbouring kingdom of Empsiphion to the East who used it as a gate and base of operations to keep the deadlands from spilling into their lands. That town, Avercan, was filled with adventurers and mercenaries, and the corruption and unrest were high. Despite being safe from monsters, people were not safe from their fellows there, to the point some had preferred fleeing here.

Words had started to spread of a certain village in the deadland, where a young monster slayer lived. It filled Prias with a mix of pride and apprehension, he had lived so long wary of monsters he had forgotten to be wary of humans. What did the future hold for them? These thoughts would be for later. He decided to get some well-deserved rest with his friends and family. On another note, Prias and Sandra had finally officially become a couple, to the surprise of absolutely nobody. From what you gathered, when the story of your last encounter reached Sandra, it shook her so much she imposed an ultimatum on Prias. He gave in, although he also had felt after fighting Soros that it was better to live without regret, especially since he didn't know if he would survive the next fight. Had she not asked, he probably would have done so a few days later.

Timeskip actions pending...

Nearby Monsters:

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
"May the winds carry you swiftly. Should you call, I promise to answer."
With that, Kori bows before fluttering off back to her usual training grounds.

I need to become stronger. Not through hunting, but skill. So.. I guess I'll need to learn actual healing.

Kori is focusing on developing a Spell: Cure, from her Natural Force. Something that will allow her to aid in the healing of others. Once she has a grasp on it, she will see about healing anyone who might need it to practice, or failing that on trees she injures.

Innate Healing Magic Spell Training [Cure]: [2]
You didn't manage to understand the underlying principles of healing magic. It would be good if you could find someone with experience in the matter to mentor you a bit, or you could keep trying.

Note: MP recovered.

Situation: [4]
Word of your alliance with Suro reached its other allies. Most of them elemental spirits who favoured the harmony of nature and the elements over the rough and savage "way of the strong" the frostborn beasts loved. A few of his allies were undead, outcasts among other monsters, who had found someone who would accept them.

Nearby monster:
- Suro, the Ice Sword Spirit

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
"I think I will go there next, then. I hunger for knowledge, and do not have to kill to get it. A bit of caution is definitely in order with how the guarded the crossing of the dead lands though.."
Thank the chieftain, and move on. Hopefully the goblins will make good use of the medicine in their strange manner.

"Blessings be upon you Azarian. We hope you find what you seek. You will always be a friend of goblins. We will tell the other tribes we know of that Azarian is a friend of goblins."

They gave you a few fruits and bits of old meat as gifts. Toc was the saddest to see you go.

Timeskip pendings...
The road will take some time. Anything of note you would do on the way?

Nearby Beings:
- Toc the Teal Goblin
- Tacataca the Elder Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 06:36:41 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 56
« Reply #1375 on: September 23, 2023, 05:11:31 pm »

Oh and of course, it has been now one week since I resumed updates! We managed to keep a regular pace, yay!

To more regular updates, story progress and level-ups!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 23, 2023, 05:14:45 pm »

I don't get it. What's so different about healing myself and healing something else..

... Or is it just not being something I'm good at.

Spell Development: Snowstorm. Activate One of Mana, practice excluding targets using trees. Hindering Allies would render the spell useless otherwise.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 23, 2023, 05:18:48 pm »

Uh oh, that can't be good. Hopefully it is just a threat display with nothing to back it up.
Peck at the lizard again
she/her

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 23, 2023, 05:53:16 pm »

Give Toc a pat on the head and ask if they want to accompany before setting out. friends are meant to be treasured, no matter their shape!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 23, 2023, 06:18:12 pm »

Nak, I think you calculated that Pow attack as if Squacks has 2 Res, not 3 Res.

And Bat-chimera chooses to die.  :-(
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 99